For those of you that Drink Diet Soda Everyday..............

Options

Replies

• pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Does the alcohol burn off the conspiracy in the soda...
    hilarious
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am addicted to diet coke and have a few a day. I have tried limiting them and doing cold turkey but I can't stop drinking it. I know there have been numerous studies saying it is bad for you but I am still unable to quit!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Wait until Obamacare is fully implemented. Then we'll see what the government thinks we can and cannot eat. It's coming folks.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ...cripes I could eat veg and angel farts all my life and get hit by a bus...

mmm, angel farts and aspartame lines, the "what do you want to do for dinner?" crisis solved once and for all!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Well, I will probably die with a Diet Dew in hand. :drinker:
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This was posted on one of my connections through Nutritional Education regarding this:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/adrienne-smillie/diet-sodas-linked-to-heart-attack-and-stroke/211160255584300

I am posting other supporting articles. One of my jobs is as a Nutritional Educator and I will keep spreading the word. If I have touched just one person to say Hey, I need to put this stuff down.............I have done my job.

To those of you that want to be sarcastic and pretty much make fun - I truly feel for you in the years to come as your only thinking of today and not your future health.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20110209/is-diet-soda-linked-to-heart-stroke-risk

http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-health/news/diet-soda-linked-to-heart-attacks-and-stroke.aspx

http://www.naturalnews.com/031398_diet_soda_stroke.html

All of these articles are referencing the same study. A study that appears to not be published yet? That I'm not sure of.

Several of those articles states that it doesn't prove cause and effect (as others have stated here), and that reproductions of the studies need to be done (which is true of all research).

But, what stuck out most to me was: "Maureen Storey, PhD, senior vice president of science policy for the American Beverage Association, says that the researchers failed to control for two important variables -- family history of stroke and weight gain -- that affect stroke risk."

Obviously PR for the ABA, but seriously, if they're not controlling for family history!? Family history is one of the most important risk factors in stroke and vascular diseases. And I would hope that future studies do control for that factor.

Obviously, it's interesting. And more research and studies need to be done. But to say that all people should stop drinking diet drinks is entirely overkill and inflammatory.
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    I almost gave up soda.
    Then I discovered Coke Zero Vanilla. :D
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how people can have such a blatant disregard for their own health and well being.

I feel for you all, I really do.

i'm pretty sure they're not trying to express blatant disregard so much as extreme irritation at having to hear (see?) the "don't drink diet sodas, EVER" lecture yet again. at this point it's so overdone that some people can't help being a bit antagonistic - even me, and as i said before, i don't even drink diet sodas!

it's kind of like lecturing smokers - they know it's gonna kill them, but they won't quit til they're ready, so why pour all this judgment on them? i realize that's not AT ALL your intention, but intentions don't count for much when you're telling people how to live their lives.

on a semi-related note, there are a LOT of people who drink diet sodas, but not every day, and those people get lectured just like the drink-a-day people. but do they deserve it? and what about those who KNOW it's bad, but are still addicted to caffeine and so are weaning themselves slowly? do they deserve the general lecture as well, even though they've learned the risks and are trying to improve their habits?

I am merely passing on information that I have been reading and reseaching. I wasn't lecturing anyone, again merely passing along information.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I USED TO BE A DIET PEPSI FREAK....BUT NOW IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WATER, I DONT EVEN CRAVE IT ANYMORE....THANK GOODNESS!
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

The researchers behind the study presented at the International Stroke Conference wouldn't come out and say what makes diet drinks so dangerous, so let me spell it out for them:

A-S-P-A-R-T-A-M-E!

This "sweet poison" found in most diet soda has been linked to cancer, seizures, coma, memory loss, and even death!!!!

Whew, glad my diet soda is sweetened with S-P-L-E-N-D-A. I guess I'm in the clear. Unless sucralose is the reason this strange growth has manifested in the back of my mouth...
  • myhomiomi
    myhomiomi Posts: 3
    Options
    Does anyone know about the soda made with Stevia? How bad is that?
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Just what I was thinking - you can prove anything with statistics if you like!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how people can have such a blatant disregard for their own health and well being.

I feel for you all, I really do.

I really don't understand how people don't get that most of the general population does NOT like to be preached at. I honestly believe that if you had titled the post differently, or used a different tone, it would have come across as helpful information. But the attitude is what is turning me off personally. I don't drink diet soda either, but now I want one, just like when I was little and Mom said "don't touch that!", what do you think was the FIRST thing I did when she turned her back?!?! *touch, touch, touch*
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    And then there's the fact that most people aren't drinking diet soda's because they're "better" or whatever... it's because they're diabetic and they CANT take the real sugar in regular soda.

We all have to die of something. If you die of nothing, you look pretty damn stupid.

*Guzzles her Diet Mtn Dew*
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh the aspartame thing again...

Do you know there are E numbers in everything we eat? We also have E numbers in our body/hair/saliva. E numbers are a term for regulated chemicals used in food.

For info natural & certainly organic foods contain some interesting toxins, for example...
    Broccoli contains the carcinogen allyl isothiocyanate.
    Apples contain cyanide and sugar compound called amygdalin in their pips.
    Carrots contain the toxin furocoumarin.

I'm not in any way saying not to eat the above because the nutritional benefits far outweigh any dangers, but what I wanted to highlight was that there are no absolute safe foods for the human body & everything can be toxic at a degree.

I used to be scared of E numbers but unfortunately after much research most of the fear has been wound up by the media & I feel that people should not be afraid to eat any foods and yes EVERYTHING in moderation. Too much water can kill you!

E951 Aspartame is one of the most tested and studied food additives ever approved however this has not prevented it remaining one of the leading subjects of unsubstantiated concerns about food additives.
    Acceptable daily intake is stated as 0-40 mg/kg body weight.

Generally I believe:
    Food is to be enjoyed
    Healthy food is better for you
    The human body is an amazing machine!!

amen.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Stevia products are not FDA approved, they're sold under dietary supplements to get around it.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you were lecturing to everyone.

BTW - you wrote - "I think diet soda drinkers need to stay tuned," lead author Hannah Gardener told MSNBC.com. "I don't think that anyone should be changing their behaviors based on one study."

Really, Hannah? How many studies would it take -- because you're not the first one to "discover" the risks of diet soda."

This is why she's telling people to stay tuned, "This study has major flaws and should not change anyone's diet soda consumption," said ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser.

And - Connie Diekman, a registered dietician and director of University Nutrition at Washington University in St Louis, said, "Population-based studies provide some 'food for thought' but shouldn't be used as the basis of nutrition guides for individuals. This study would be another one that indicates more controlled studies are needed."

Not that I'm lecturing you....

(And I can add lots of extra space to make a post too :wink:)
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Look like people are having their say. to me this is a free country.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know about the soda made with Stevia? How bad is that?

Zevia rocks!

Though I'm not much of a soda drinker. I do like a Coke Zero and CC on occasion, though. Mmmm...Canadian club.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Diet vs regular... no this, no that. Personally I think both are garbage. People are so hung up on making excuses for why their non diet productive behavior is better than yours.

You want to drink it, than drink it, drinking a can of sugar is certainly not going to help me towards my goals. On the other hand there's something to be said about drinking 12 ounces of liquid that provide 0 caloric benefit to your body, that alone should be a red flag.