P90X Classic Starting June 6th, Who's in?

Options

Replies

• syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    That's what I've been doing. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a HRM, so I can get a more accurate count.:wink: N

i finally got one. it is nice knowing then trying to guess it on here. from what i have read , one with a chest strap is more accurate.

I haven't put a super amount of time researching it, and I don't mean to start a fight, but from what I've read the formula HRM's use to calculate calories is really not accurate unless you're doing consistent aerobic excercise. (ie something with relatively the same exertion level the whole time). It might be worth looking into before you buy a HRM just for P90X, cause it seems like (if the information was correct ), a HRM might not be ideally suited for this type of exercise. I'll dig up the info tomorrow, but the idea was they will actually grossly over estimate your burned calories b.c even though your heart rate increases your oxygen uptake (and therefor caloric expenditure) doesn't increase as drastically during anaerobic workouts.

i dont see this as a fight hun, i personally see it as that every thing is a rough guess on how many calories you really burn. it makes me feel better seeing the number then estimating here. i would like to read what you find on the subject though.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been doing. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a HRM, so I can get a more accurate count.:wink: N

i finally got one. it is nice knowing then trying to guess it on here. from what i have read , one with a chest strap is more accurate.

I haven't put a super amount of time researching it, and I don't mean to start a fight, but from what I've read the formula HRM's use to calculate calories is really not accurate unless you're doing consistent aerobic excercise. (ie something with relatively the same exertion level the whole time). It might be worth looking into before you buy a HRM just for P90X, cause it seems like (if the information was correct ), a HRM might not be ideally suited for this type of exercise. I'll dig up the info tomorrow, but the idea was they will actually grossly over estimate your burned calories b.c even though your heart rate increases your oxygen uptake (and therefor caloric expenditure) doesn't increase as drastically during anaerobic workouts.

Personally I use a plain HRM, and plug that number into an online conversion calculator. The problem with this method is these conversion calculators (And probably HRM's that do the math for you) use a variable called VO2 max. Basically, this number tells you how fit you are. If you don't know it, or use one that's dramatically incorrect, you'll get insane calorie burns. I cut my workout burns by 300-400 calories when I started using a more accurate VO2 max number. Just a little tidbit to throw another wrench into the works. :)

Also,
    I could see a greater inaccuracy for what I call "pure" strength training (8 reps, rest 1-2 minutes, 8 rep rest 1-2 minutes, etc. or some variation thereof). A HRM would not be accurate for that type of training as your level of intensity is constantly fluctuating. However, with a program such as P90X, where your level of intensity during resistance training is much more consistent (there are little if any rest breaks between sets) I think the HRM would do much better. Ultimately though, HRMs, BMI, BMR, etc. are all based on general mathematical formulas designed to be applied across a broad spectrum. There are going to be deviations. It won't work correctly for everyone. Which is why I always tell people to figure out what works for YOU and not to assume infallible accuracy of any scale, HRM, calculator, etc.

So far, I have worn a HRM for about two months and followed it's "calculations". For me, it seems quite accurate.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options

i dont see this as a fight hun, i personally see it as that every thing is a rough guess on how many calories you really burn. it makes me feel better seeing the number then estimating here. i would like to read what you find on the subject though.

I only said that about the fight, because it's kinda one of those hotly contested topics on these forums... people get passionate about it. Here's the post that I was reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698. I've been looking for more actual studies to back up his claims, will post if I find any good ones. Seems to be fairly well researched though.
    One thing I will say, is that strength training utilizes calories in more ways than just the "burn" during the workout. This has to do with protein utilization, etc. I've seen numbers that say regular strength training over just a few months can increase your RMR by 7%... So those that strength train regularly for a program like P90X can eat more calories anyway, without gaining weight. (One argument for why those of us that do count full calories for the workouts still get the results we expect)
    Anyway, like lifebloom says, it's all an estimate anyway. (And btw, on the topic of V02 Max, my calorie burn usually increases when I add mine to the mix. My oxygen uptake is much better than average, apparently)

Here's another article that explains the science a little more, but says basically the same thing. The idea is, with strength training, regardless of whether or not you have a consistent level of intensity (like lifebloom mentioned), your heart rate is increasing for a different reason than when you're doing cardio. This completely flummoxes the formulas the HRM's use for calorie burn.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Anyway, just some food for thought / research. If anyone looks into it and finds anything interesting, please let me know!
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "I've seen numbers that say regular strength training over just a few months can increase your RMR by 7%... "

This is why P90X doesn't always show dramatic 1st month progress. It takes time for that increased RMR to shed the lbs.

I like Azdak's posts. He's pretty knowledgeable.

And don't you love how hotly contested topics can get? I try to make open ended statements and let people decide rather than coming out and making declarations of "hard facts" and "solid proof". My proof is what works for me. Which doesn't mean it will do a damn thing for anyone else. :)

By the way, all you who are still pushing play, YOU ROCK! Keep bringing it.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    anyone have any plans after p90x? im going to do a hybrid of turbo fire and chalean extreme. hopefully by then the P90x2 will be out.

I would LOVE to do Insanity. I'm absolutely terrified, but I really wanna give it a try. I'll keep going to martial arts class; I'll just go more often. I'm going to start a new program (most likely a Beach Body one) in October/November just to stay focused during the holidays.
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    anyone have any plans after p90x? im going to do a hybrid of turbo fire and chalean extreme. hopefully by then the P90x2 will be out.

I would LOVE to do Insanity. I'm absolutely terrified, but I really wanna give it a try. I'll keep going to martial arts class; I'll just go more often. I'm going to start a new program (most likely a Beach Body one) in October/November just to stay focused during the holidays.
    I've been thinking about this... I'm considering insanity, or a P90X type hybrid program. I want to check out the one-on-one's, and the plus's... I'm open to other programs though. It could be fun to continue onto something with this group!
  • syd1980
    Options
    Day 44 is done with plyo. i used to hate this one, but it is growing on me.

@swinginchandra, i see what your saying on the strength training. i have saved the links to read later when not getting ready for work tonight. im not all sure about all the science terms yet, but im learning.

@tenlaws, i want to try Insanity also but i think im going to wait for awhile. hubby would have a fit since i just got turbo fire and chalean extreme. i couldnt pick which one to do and found on beachbody.com a hybrid schedule. it is a 5 month schedule so it will keep me busy this winter .
  • kripley1229
    Options
    Words cannot describe just how much I despise plyo!
  • skinnylizzy5
    skinnylizzy5 Posts: 119
    Options
    I've been thinking about what's next a lot too. School will be starting back up so I'd like to find something with slightly shorter time commitment, or at least shorter on some of the days. But, I really like following a program of scheduled workouts. Any suggestions? I've been thinking of alternating some type of strength program with my own cardio -running is on a hiatus due to SUPER hot weather. I know you guys have more experience with various programs so please let me know if you have ideas!

Congrats to all who are still here - bring it!
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    I'm with you on shorter for school lizzy!

Did 1.5 times the plyo today... Started off midday in the gym, but kinda ran out of time, so only did 3 out of 5 of the sections... Promised myself I'd start over from the beginning again tonight, and it turns out I really needed the extra calories after our lab dinner thingy. Man, doing it outside, (even in full dark), with this humidity, I was just dripping!
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Completed Yoga X last night (full 90 minutes) and found it to be very enjoyable :-) My quad's were still sore from Plyo the other day and Yoga seemed to relieve most of it. I think I can actually scratch Yoga off my "most hated" list. Only 280 cals burned but the sweat was pouring. I still can't get the crane and a few other moves but I'm gonna keep at it.
  • syd1980
    Options
    Day 45 is done with back/biceps and ab ripper . halfway mark , a small victory dance.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Completed Yoga X last night (full 90 minutes) and found it to be very enjoyable :-) My quad's were still sore from Plyo the other day and Yoga seemed to relieve most of it. I think I can actually scratch Yoga off my "most hated" list. Only 280 cals burned but the sweat was pouring. I still can't get the crane and a few other moves but I'm gonna keep at it.

Yea, it's a little frustrating that we work soooo hard at Yoga and it burns less calories than the other workouts. In the past, I would've written hate notes to Yoga X if possible; now I feel great after I've completed it. Usually after Chest/Shoulders/Tri, Plyo, and Back/Biceps, I spend those three days walking around and spontaneously busting out in ballistic stretches - at the store, when walking my dog, when getting ready in the morning, on the way to my car, whenever. Yoga allows me to stop looking like a psycho for the rest of the week. And yea, keep at it!! It took awhile for me to do crane and some of the other moves (even though I still can't hold them for the full count), but you'll get there eventually. The first time I saw the video I thought some of the moves were going to be impossible <---- not in my vocab anymore.
  • kripley1229
    Options

I only said that about the fight, because it's kinda one of those hotly contested topics on these forums... people get passionate about it. Here's the post that I was reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698. I've been looking for more actual studies to back up his claims, will post if I find any good ones. Seems to be fairly well researched though.
    One thing I will say, is that strength training utilizes calories in more ways than just the "burn" during the workout. This has to do with protein utilization, etc. I've seen numbers that say regular strength training over just a few months can increase your RMR by 7%... So those that strength train regularly for a program like P90X can eat more calories anyway, without gaining weight. (One argument for why those of us that do count full calories for the workouts still get the results we expect)
    Anyway, like lifebloom says, it's all an estimate anyway. (And btw, on the topic of V02 Max, my calorie burn usually increases when I add mine to the mix. My oxygen uptake is much better than average, apparently)

Here's another article that explains the science a little more, but says basically the same thing. The idea is, with strength training, regardless of whether or not you have a consistent level of intensity (like lifebloom mentioned), your heart rate is increasing for a different reason than when you're doing cardio. This completely flummoxes the formulas the HRM's use for calorie burn.

Anyway, just some food for thought / research. If anyone looks into it and finds anything interesting, please let me know!

So I went out and bought an inexpensive one just to see how I did. Not accurate at all! (at least I hope not!) It said that I only burned 67 calories doing back and biceps. I feel like I worked a heck of a lot harder than that! Oh well:frown:
  • Tazz71
    Tazz71 Posts: 19
    Options
    I start phase 2 week 3 tomorrow. This is my first round but the more motivation the better. After the 1st round I've lost 7lbs of FAT!!! and 7 inches overall. I'm also down one pants size. I feel awesome. I'm definitely in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So I went out and bought an inexpensive one just to see how I did. Not accurate at all! (at least I hope not!) It said that I only burned 67 calories doing back and biceps. I feel like I worked a heck of a lot harder than that! Oh well:frown:

Most watch ones only calculate your burn for a short period of time after checking your HR, not for the full workout. you need one with a chest strap to continually monitor HR, and to calculate calories burned more accurately.
  • syd1980
    Options
    I start phase 2 week 3 tomorrow. This is my first round but the more motivation the better. After the 1st round I've lost 7lbs of FAT!!! and 7 inches overall. I'm also down one pants size. I feel awesome. I'm definitely in.

that awesome, your doing great.
  • syd1980
    Options
    Day 46 was rest day
    Day 47 was legs/back plus ab ripper, i also did turbo fire ab 10 class, plus core 20 class/stretch 40 for yoga.

excited we are getting our trampoline tomorrow. should be fun putting it together.
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    Day 46 was rest day
    Day 47 was legs/back plus ab ripper, i also did turbo fire ab 10 class, plus core 20 class/stretch 40 for yoga.

excited we are getting our trampoline tomorrow. should be fun putting it together.

awesome!! Good luck!

did legs/back today, gonna throw ab ripper in with kenpo tomorrow, unless I get the motivation to do it later tonight... which I may.
  • kripley1229
    Options
    I didn't work out yesterday, but I did clean my house from top to bottom. It took me ALL day! Spring cleaning a little late...

I'm excited for Kenpo today! It's one of my favorites! The time flies by!