Paleo Diet

Options
I recently talked to someone who was on a Paleo Diet - Paleolithic (Yep like the cave man) It sounds sort of interesting... You eat anything that you could hunt or gather. No dairy, sugar, beans, etc... Not really sure on the specifics.

The main interest to me was the amount of bacon that she eats and still looses weight. I mean, a lot of bacon. She has lost 18lbs.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

Feel free to add me as a friend!!! - I need all of the motivation that I can get.

:) Kait

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Another fad? Dieting should all be about moderation.
  • tmoran8403
    Options
    I don't know anything about this diet...but Jillian michaels says if it doesn't have a mother and didn't come from the ground don't eat it. In other words leave all the packaged and processed mess alone.
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would. However, nowadays its hard to eat that way especially with all of the processed foods. I think the biggest thing is to eat whole foods which would include pretty much the foods on the Paleo list.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few months and have made good progress (relatively low carb, sugar and nothing processed). I recommend doing your own research -- everybody is different.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    The idea of bing able to eat loads of bacon and other meats and still lose sounds good, but I love my cheese far too much
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Of all the "diets" the Paleo Diet is one of the more interesting diet guidelines around. I wouldn't focus on the issue of the bacon, that's really not the point. It's really just about eating foods in their natural state. In other words, it's a whole food diet. Fruits, veggies, meats, nothing from a box but rather as it was when it came from the animal that was slaughtered, the tree it was picked from or the ground it was harvested from. There are several versions and some are not as strict, like one that allows certain "processed" foods such as olive oil. I'm not sure why beans wouldn't be on the list either, but I do know that wheat products are not. Rather than do that diet I just think "whole food". It's really that simple. The only foods I have on a daily basis that has gone through any processing is olive oil and honey, and neither of which are chemically altered or harmed during the very minimal processing. And lately I've even started using really raw honey, bits of honeycombs, bees, and all.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's only a fad if you consider food choices humans made for hundreds of thousands of years pre-dating agriculture to be a fad. There are people who are strongly against eating a hunter/gatherer or paleo or primal or caveman or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure any of them have tried it. It's not a 'diet' in the vernacular sense, because it's not about weight loss (although that's always a result); rather it's the way to eat for lifelong good health.

There is absolutely no essential amino acid in grains, beans, sugar or dairy that cannot be obtained from meat/poultry/fish, vegetables, nuts, and fruit. In fact, a diet using grains, beans, sugar and dairy must be supplemented in order to meet our nutritional needs. Why eat inferior sources of food when you can choose healthy complete foods? My diary is open--if you have any questions, just ask.

Also, this is a nice summary: http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
    It's only a fad if you consider food choices humans made for hundreds of thousands of years pre-dating agriculture to be a fad. There are people who are strongly against eating a hunter/gatherer or paleo or primal or caveman or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure any of them have tried it. It's not a 'diet' in the vernacular sense, because it's not about weight loss (although that's always a result); rather it's the way to eat for lifelong good health.

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no essential amino acid in grains, beans, sugar or dairy that cannot be obtained from meat/poultry/fish, vegetables, nuts, and fruit. In fact, a diet using grains, beans, sugar and dairy must be supplemented in order to meet our nutritional needs. Why eat inferior sources of food when you can choose healthy complete foods?

Yes, but I see that you don't stick religiously to the 'lifestyle’ and add some naughty foods – as I said, moderation
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

There is absolutely no essential amino acid in grains, beans, sugar or dairy that cannot be obtained from meat/poultry/fish, vegetables, nuts, and fruit. In fact, a diet using grains, beans, sugar and dairy must be supplemented in order to meet our nutritional needs. Why eat inferior sources of food when you can choose healthy complete foods? My diary is open--if you have any questions, just ask.

While I do agree with this...there are people out there like myself who are vegetarians for ethical and moral reasons. I will not eat meat and therefor subsititute grains and pulces so that I can obtain my amino acids. Yes, I've read Wolf's and Cordian's books and the guy I'm dating is on Paleo, lol. We have this conversation on a daily basis, lol. Veg vs. Paleo....always interesting.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Been strict Paleo over 4 months and have dropped about 35 lbs, 5 jean sizes and a boatload of bodyfat. I also IF.

This isn't for everyone but for most who do it, they will see incredible results. I keep my carbs (from veggies, rarely fruits) under 50g's (at 228 lbs bodyweight) on most days and I have tons of energy and am more alert. I've also incorporated very heavy lifting, minimal cardio which I also attribute to the accelerated fat loss.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I also follow Paleo/Primal. Check out Mark's Daily Apple. His Primal Blueprint is a great plan. It's not a fad diet or even a diet. And he has "modernized" it. It took me 6 months to lose 10lbs - I was already at a healthy weight but had high body fat. When I went Primal I dropped from 120.4 to 115.6 in 4 weeks. Pure body fat. All my digestive issues are gone. I lost most of my belly. And my energy levels are through the roof!!

Search the forum here for Paleo Support Group and No Pain...No Grain. They are both support groups and you can find all kinds of information.

I started out needing to eat healthier (weight loss just went with it). I have been researching for 8 months and this is where my journey led me. I'm now learning about what happened to the American Diet when the government got involved 60 years ago. All I can say is 'enlightening'.

The best thing I have done to my body is remove grains (they cause inflammation in the body), beans (toxic and inedible in raw form), flours and sugars (hit the blood too quickly).
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I too am Paleo/Primal. Or I try to be. It is difficult in our society, as others have pointed out - but I feel great when I stick to it!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

All foods in moderation is actually more of fad diet then anything Paleo in nature.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm not knocking the Paleo diet, though most Paleo dieters seem to spend a lot of time knocking everything else. But it's really not possible to eat the way a cave man did. They did not eat domesticated cows, chickens, pigs, etc. Whether you choose organic, grain fed, no antibiotics, free range, etc., it's still not what the cave man ate. Neither are farmed fruits and vegetables. It's a very different world we live in. And there are plenty of healthy vegans in the world. Probably more so than healthy Paleo dieters.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Haha..it NEVER fails. No disrepect to the thread starter but I don't see what the sense is starting Paleo threads because some grain "zealot" is going to jump on here and bash it as a "fad' or "not sustainable.' Like death & taxes, it's inevitable.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

it's really not possible to eat the way a cave man did. They did not eat domesticated cows, chickens, pigs, etc. Whether you choose organic, grain fed, no antibiotics, free range, etc., it's still not what the cave man ate. Neither are farmed fruits and vegetables. It's a very different world we live in.

You got that right, friend. But it's possible to make wiser choices. Many markets offer leaner, and more "naturally" raised meats and produce. Game and locally farmed vegetables are around if you look. The biggest hurdle in my opinion is investment of time and money - more 'pure' selections are sometimes more expensive an take some research to find ... and self-education of label terminology is crucial ...

My husband is a hunter. While I dont like to think about him shooting a deer, wild venison is way healthier than common beef - and much more humane for a deer to live a happy life in the woods getting lots of exercise than a poor cow or chicken raised commercially. (For those like me who don't like the gamey flavor of buck, doe meat tastes just like good beef)

I don't presume to tell anyone how to eat. I just share what works for me and makes me feel my best. Best of luck everyone :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't knock anyone else's eating habits or lifestyle. To each his own. Primal started out as an experiment for me. I wasn't expecting the amazing results I got back and I'm not talking weight loss. Research is why I'm sticking with it.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.