Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Don't want to get involved in another paleo diet thread except to say that bacon is one of the foods you should avoid while on the paleo diet due to the high salt content.

Ah, can't resist getting my two cents in. In before paleo-dieters tell me the food lists published by guys like Cordain are more of a guideline than an actual rule. :wink:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Another fad? Dieting should all be about moderation.

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't want to get involved in another paleo diet thread except to say that bacon is one of the foods you should avoid while on the paleo diet due to the high salt content.

Ah, can't resist getting my two cents in. In before paleo-dieters tell me the food lists published by guys like Cordain are more of a guideline than an actual rule. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing. Not about your putting your 2 cents in :smile: but about bacon. As a cured meat it doesn't seem very whole or natural.
  • Teemo
    Options
    Haha..it NEVER fails. No disrepect to the thread starter but I don't see what the sense is starting Paleo threads because some grain "zealot" is going to jump on here and bash it as a "fad' or "not sustainable.' Like death & taxes, it's inevitable.

Grain... "zealot"? :laugh:

Seeing as how the consumption of grain is the norm, that term should better be used to describe paleodieters, no? Especially since paleodieters are the ones who trumpet how superior their method of dieting is, and are the ones who are promoting the (minimally-accepted) idea that grains are harmful. On that note, I'm an IF zealot.

I was thinking the same thing. Not about your putting your 2 cents in :smile: but about bacon. As a cured meat it doesn't seem very whole or natural.
    [/quote]

Well, that was more a comment on me being a grain zealot. Or a IIFYM zealot. I also don't think bacon fits into the idea of paleodieting which is an "eat all you can eat" diet since 2 strips of bacon = 140 calories. And I can eat way more than 2 strips of bacon... as can, apparently, the thread-starter's friend!
  • bcattoes
    Options

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.

Beans are not toxic in raw form. Some may be (??) but all certainly are not. I've eaten peas and beans right off the vine. Just as my ancestors did. :wink:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking the Paleo diet, though most Paleo dieters seem to spend a lot of time knocking everything else. But it's really not possible to eat the way a cave man did. They did not eat domesticated cows, chickens, pigs, etc. Whether you choose organic, grain fed, no antibiotics, free range, etc., it's still not what the cave man ate. Neither are farmed fruits and vegetables. It's a very different world we live in. And there are plenty of healthy vegans in the world. Probably more so than healthy Paleo dieters.

There's no doubt we live in a very different world--very different even than a century ago. Food choices over the last 40 years have changed dramatically and now include more processed foods than ever. That being said, whether a meat is domesticated or wild, whether vegetables, fruit & nuts are foraged or grown in your garden, the net result is a diet based on meat/poultry/fish, vegetables, fruit and nuts. It's just a heck of a lot easier to go to the local grocer than source it from the wild, even if the nutritional elements of wild versus domestic vary.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Sugar is not gathered. It's a highly processed food. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-sugar-made Beans must be cooked is one reason for legumes(beans, peanuts) and lectins(poison).
  • Sam899
    Sam899 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of starting to try a paleo -ish lifestyle. I do crossfit (and totally love it) and a lot of people that crossfit eat paleo. To be honest, every time I see one of these threads talking about paleo it's the paleo people that turn me off. I agree with the one poster who said paleo people tend to bash everything else. I can see that it's not for everyone and everyone has different motivations/reasons for eating the way they do, but why do so many of these "paleo" eaters come off so elitist? You know you really put a bad taste out there for those that are considering doing paleo.

Personally, I'm most concerned about giving up so many things at once. I can do no grains, that's fine, but beans and dairy too, that's going to be rough. I try to eat clean most of the time (this past weekend, and the left overs this week have been an exception) so it won't be that much of a change, like I said, just restricting so many items at once will take some effort. I'd be open to some support from those of you that are paleo but I don't need anyone telling me this is best and everything else sucks. I don't believe in that, there's a plan for everyone and they don't have to all be the same. Just because one person is a vegatarian doesn't make them the devil, and by the same means, just becuase you're paleo doens't make you god. So any open minded paleo people that want to help me out, I'd be open to that!
  • Teemo
    Options
    It's just a heck of a lot easier to go to the local grocer than source it from the wild, even if the nutritional elements of wild versus domestic vary.

Which it probably doesn't, in any case.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Sugar is not gathered. It's a highly processed food. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-sugar-made Beans must be cooked is one reason for legumes(beans, peanuts) and lectins(poison).

Is honey allowed? And yes, I realize that ppl on this diet are "allowed" to eat what they want, but if the diet is followed strictly is honey allowed?
  • Teemo
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of starting to try a paleo -ish lifestyle. I do crossfit (and totally love it) and a lot of people that crossfit eat paleo. To be honest, every time I see one of these threads talking about paleo it's the paleo people that turn me off. I agree with the one poster who said paleo people tend to bash everything else. I can see that it's not for everyone and everyone has different motivations/reasons for eating the way they do, but why do so many of these "paleo" eaters come off so elitist? You know you really put a bad taste out there for those that are considering doing paleo.

Personally, I'm most concerned about giving up so many things at once. I can do no grains, that's fine, but beans and dairy too, that's going to be rough. I try to eat clean most of the time (this past weekend, and the left overs this week have been an exception) so it won't be that much of a change, like I said, just restricting so many items at once will take some effort. I'd be open to some support from those of you that are paleo but I don't need anyone telling me this is best and everything else sucks. I don't believe in that, there's a plan for everyone and they don't have to all be the same. Just because one person is a vegatarian doesn't make them the devil, and by the same means, just becuase you're paleo doens't make you god. So any open minded paleo people that want to help me out, I'd be open to that!

I'm not an open-minded paleo person but if you want to become a paleodieter because it is convenient for you to achieve your goals then by all means you should give it a shot. In any case, the basic principles of avoiding processed foods, sugars, etc. are good ones in all circumstances... and no one has ever faulted the increased consumption of vegetables and fruits (more vegetables than fruits).
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Especially since paleodieters are the ones who trumpet how superior their method of dieting is, and are the ones who are promoting the (minimally-accepted) idea that grains are harmful.

Yet it's the anti-Paleo "know it all's" who are typically crashing OUR threads? :huh:
  • Teemo
    Options
    Is honey allowed? And yes, I realize that ppl on this diet are "allowed" to eat what they want, but if the diet is followed strictly is honey allowed?
    :laugh:

Cordain states that ALL sweeteners should be avoided... INCLUDING honey. Which makes sense. Honey might be the most nutritious of the sweeteners but the overall nutritive value is minimal. And being the best of the worst is hardly a reason to recommend it. (Much like diet soda may be better than regular soda but that doesn't mean we should all run out and drink diet soda).
    Yet it's the anti-Paleo "know it all's" who are typically crashing OUR threads? :huh:

I thought this was a thread where the threadstarter wanted to know what people's thoughts were on the paleodiet. I didn't realize only paleodieters were allowed to talk about how great it was and a differing viewpoint was prohibited. :laugh:

You'll notice the first really disparaging remark in this thread came from you, in referring to people who eat grain as "zealots".

Plus I like arguing.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It's just a heck of a lot easier to go to the local grocer than source it from the wild, even if the nutritional elements of wild versus domestic vary.

Which it probably doesn't, in any case.

The nutritional value(profile) is different. Proven via simple testing.. You know, so they can put any required labeling on the packaging and get them into various online and local databases for people that want to track the nutritional values. Same goes for Organic. Often better nutrient values compared to non organic.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    :laugh:

Cordain states that ALL sweeteners should be avoided... INCLUDING honey. Which makes sense. Honey might be the most nutritious of the sweeteners but the overall nutritive value is minimal. And being the best of the worst is hardly a reason to recommend it. (Much like diet soda may be better than regular soda but that doesn't mean we should all run out and drink diet soda).

But the paleo dude probably wasn't thinking "wow, this stuff is so delicious but it might hurt my waistline so I'd better not eat it". He was more likely thinking "wow, this sweet stuff is yummy". I'll bet he ate honey.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

As is the salt in salted butter
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a thread where the threadstarter wanted to know what people's thoughts were on the paleodiet. I didn't realize only paleodieters were allowed to talk about how great it was and a differing viewpoint was prohibited. :laugh:

You'll notice the first really disparaging remark in this thread came from you, in referring to people who eat grain as "zealots".

Plus I like arguing.

Nope. First disparaging remark was when Paleo was referred to as a "fad." Look back at previous Paleo threads and you'll see. Like clockwork there's always someone jumping in to rip on the way of eating. It gets REALLY old. If they don't like it, don't open the thread.

And I know it's never safe to 'assume" but I will (for arguments sake) in believing that her request for "thoughts" probably were directed at people who had actually DONE Paleo.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Plus I like arguing.

Nope. First disparaging remark was when Paleo was referred to as a "fad." Look back at previous Paleo threads and you'll see. Like clockwork there's always someone jumping in to rip on the way of eating. It gets REALLY old. If they don't like it, don't open the thread.

It wasn't referred to as a fad - it was a question, hence the question mark
  • Teemo
    Options

Because... it IS a fad?

"a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group."

When did paleo dieting, in its current incarnation, take off? Within the last 10-20 years. When did it begin gaining widespread practice? Within the last 10. The Paleo Diet was written in the 2000s. Is it temporary? Who knows. But given that it's relatively young, I don't have any problem considering it a fad like Atkins, or Keto, or any of the other dietary methods that have sprung up in the past decade.

And no, I don't consider the "hundreds of thousands of years of paleolithic man" supposedly eating this way to mean it's not a fad. That paleolithic man lacked the organizational means or mental wherewithal to develop agriculture doesn't impress.
    And I know it's never safe to 'assume" but I will (for arguments sake) in believing that her request for "thoughts" probably were directed at people who had actually DONE Paleo.

Sure. Well, then I'm still qualified to chime in more or less. I've done keto (using paleo list foods) which is more in keeping with The Paleo Diet than her friend's bacon diet. :laugh:
  • PJRock7
    PJRock7 Posts: 10
    Options
    I want to do this diet. Started yesterday. Really weight loss does come down to exercise and moderation.