Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing you can't drink alcohol and follow a paleo diet, correct? I love my whole grains and beans (my diet staples) but no way I'm giving up my nightly wine!! :drinker:

I don't drink wine but I believe it's acceptable.
  • datersjacquelynj
    Options
    I joined CrossFit in my community a couple of months ago, and they are all about the Paleo Diet. I have purchased a couple books on it to research it more, and I would totally recommend doing it. At first, it is a tough lifestyle change...but it really works!! There is tons of recipies online and in books...and the food is actually really great. Numerous people at our gym swear by it. I am an on and off Paleo person, but it gives you so much more energy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing you can't drink alcohol and follow a paleo diet, correct? I love my whole grains and beans (my diet staples) but no way I'm giving up my nightly wine!! :drinker:

I don't drink wine but I believe it's acceptable.

Cool, I knew those cavemen had to cut loose sometime!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Why are we worried about the GI?
  • datersjacquelynj
    Options
    You can actually drink wine on the diet :)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Yes, but only on occasion. Alcohol really messes with the fat burning process.
  • bcattoes
    Options

But it tastes so good and makes me feel warm and happy. :love: I drink wine just about every night and I've been losing steadily with my whole grains and beans. That said, I do not have any other health problems such as diabetes or insulin resistance because I've avoided simple carbs for about 10 years now.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I joined CrossFit in my community a couple of months ago, and they are all about the Paleo Diet. I have purchased a couple books on it to research it more, and I would totally recommend doing it. At first, it is a tough lifestyle change...but it really works!! There is tons of recipies online and in books...and the food is actually really great. Numerous people at our gym swear by it. I am an on and off Paleo person, but it gives you so much more energy.

I can only speak for myself but I know when I ate sugars, breads, rice, oatmeal, etc that it made me pretty lethargic. Not the case with everyone but that was my experience.

I chose to go the Paleo route because my body doesn't "do" carbs well. I'm not celiac or anything like that (to my knowledge).

Have done some Crossfit myself but have recently morphed back to my powerlifting "roots" and have been doing the Madcow version of StrongLifts5x5.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    [
    Actually, I understand both. Whole grains does not always = bread, ya know. I do eat whole grain bread occasionally but I'm talking more about brown rice, quinoa, barley, oats, bulgar wheat, etc. You know, grains.

So you know table sugar has a GI of 64, brown rice 72, quinoa 53, barley 35, oats 59, and bulger wheat 48.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Another fad? Dieting should all be about moderation.

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.

Beans are not toxic in raw form. Some may be (??) but all certainly are not. I've eaten peas and beans right off the vine. Just as my ancestors did. :wink:

Most peas are starchy vegetables . And green beans can be eaten raw. I guess maybe I should be a little more detailed. Any bean that can't be consumed raw. Our ancestors wouldn't have eaten a kidney bean off the vine. Or a black - eyed pea. Or a black bean.
  • freerange
    Options

But it tastes so good and makes me feel warm and happy. :love: I drink wine just about every night and I've been losing steadily with my whole grains and beans. That said, I do not have any other health problems such as diabetes or insulin resistance because I've avoided simple carbs for about 10 years now.

Can anyone say oxymoron
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is what is making America fat. It's exactly what happened to me - my low fat, complex carb "diet" has left me with nothing but obesity, insulin resistence, and borderline metabolic syndrome. Someone recommended The Primal Blueprint to me to read, and I have watched the movie Fat Head (you can stream it on Netflix or Hulu) and the whole thing really pissed me off. YEARS of my life wasted dieting and struggling at the gym and still gaining weight. Which in turn led to giving up, depression, and binge eating. One week Primal/Paleo - and I lost 7 pounds of body fat. I maintain a 50-100 g of carbs a day and I am easily dropping fat, have a ton of energy and feel better than I ever have.

We don't need grains, they are actually toxic to the body - some people (like my daughter) have extreme reactions and we call this Celiac Disease - in others, we think we are just fine, but your intestines would tell you a different story. Grains and beans punch holes in the gut wall, carrying all kinds of nastiness directly to your blood stream, Primal is all about food=fuel. Excess blood glucose and excess insulin is the enemy of our body - organs tissues and cells suffer from this. By lowering our insulin response, we burn our fat which our body actually prefers, naturally lower our food intake to meet our body needs and that's it.

OP if you are seriously interested in it, reading The Primal Blueprint is IMO a great place to start. Stop believing the government version of healthy which was literally determined by politicians and not scientists. And it it is not "hard" at all. I work full time, have 5 kids, 4 dogs, 6 chickens, and a husband, and manage to make primal meals for all of us. How hard is it to saute some mushrooms, onions, and fry a couple of eggs in the morning. Yesterday we had pot roast that cooked itself in the crock pot all day with cauliflower, broccoli, and onions. You can make ANY meal primal/paleo by having protein (beef, chicken, fish, pork), vegetables (save starchy vegetables for treats and for intense work needs - remember insulin response), and a healthy fat (butter, coconut oil, nuts) and eat servings of fruit depending on your body mass goals. Your lipid profile will naturally improve, your body's systemic inflammation will improve, your body will become more insulin sensitive and less resistant, and you body will readily and easily burn fat.

The Standard American Diet is the fad here. A fad that has had disastrous consequences.

I'm sorry but there is just so much untruth in this post. Whole grains and beans do NOT punch holes in your intenstines. Nor do they spike your insulin and make you insulin resistant or cause diabetes. Refined/simple sugars spike your insulin. Medical evidence supporting the fact that whole grains and beans are good for you does not all come from the government. It comes from hundreds of years of medical research and scientific studies. I am sorry that your body was damaged with food, and I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has Celiac disease. People with family members with Celiac disease are more prone to get it themselves, and though you don't mention having it that could account for your trouble own trouble with grains. But that does not equate to whole grains being unhealthy for everyone. It really doesn't.

Do you understand glycemic index and load? Whole wheat/whole meal bread 74±2 White wheat bread* 75±2

Actually, I understand both. Whole grains does not always = bread, ya know. I do eat whole grain bread occasionally but I'm talking more about brown rice, quinoa, barley, oats, bulgar wheat, etc. You know, grains.

You made my point. You have some higher GI's right there and quinoa is not a grain. You might want to look those up again and consider the cooking method used.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    [

So you know table sugar has a GI of 64, brown rice 72, quinoa 53, barley 35, oats 59, and bulger wheat 48.

Not without checking. I don't have them memorized. What I do know is that they don't spike blood sugar like grains without the bran do. Even if I wanted to ignore my own good health after eating this way for years (and really, why would I) I have enough relatives with diabetes to know that eating these will not spike your blood sugar like eating table sugar or refined grains will. A glucose meter will tell you that.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is what is making America fat. It's exactly what happened to me - my low fat, complex carb "diet" has left me with nothing but obesity, insulin resistence, and borderline metabolic syndrome. Someone recommended The Primal Blueprint to me to read, and I have watched the movie Fat Head (you can stream it on Netflix or Hulu) and the whole thing really pissed me off. YEARS of my life wasted dieting and struggling at the gym and still gaining weight. Which in turn led to giving up, depression, and binge eating. One week Primal/Paleo - and I lost 7 pounds of body fat. I maintain a 50-100 g of carbs a day and I am easily dropping fat, have a ton of energy and feel better than I ever have.

We don't need grains, they are actually toxic to the body - some people (like my daughter) have extreme reactions and we call this Celiac Disease - in others, we think we are just fine, but your intestines would tell you a different story. Grains and beans punch holes in the gut wall, carrying all kinds of nastiness directly to your blood stream, Primal is all about food=fuel. Excess blood glucose and excess insulin is the enemy of our body - organs tissues and cells suffer from this. By lowering our insulin response, we burn our fat which our body actually prefers, naturally lower our food intake to meet our body needs and that's it.

OP if you are seriously interested in it, reading The Primal Blueprint is IMO a great place to start. Stop believing the government version of healthy which was literally determined by politicians and not scientists. And it it is not "hard" at all. I work full time, have 5 kids, 4 dogs, 6 chickens, and a husband, and manage to make primal meals for all of us. How hard is it to saute some mushrooms, onions, and fry a couple of eggs in the morning. Yesterday we had pot roast that cooked itself in the crock pot all day with cauliflower, broccoli, and onions. You can make ANY meal primal/paleo by having protein (beef, chicken, fish, pork), vegetables (save starchy vegetables for treats and for intense work needs - remember insulin response), and a healthy fat (butter, coconut oil, nuts) and eat servings of fruit depending on your body mass goals. Your lipid profile will naturally improve, your body's systemic inflammation will improve, your body will become more insulin sensitive and less resistant, and you body will readily and easily burn fat.

The Standard American Diet is the fad here. A fad that has had disastrous consequences.

I'm sorry but there is just so much untruth in this post. Whole grains and beans do NOT punch holes in your intenstines. Nor do they spike your insulin and make you insulin resistant or cause diabetes. Refined/simple sugars spike your insulin. Medical evidence supporting the fact that whole grains and beans are good for you does not all come from the government. It comes from hundreds of years of medical research and scientific studies. I am sorry that your body was damaged with food, and I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has Celiac disease. People with family members with Celiac disease are more prone to get it themselves, and though you don't mention having it that could account for your trouble own trouble with grains. But that does not equate to whole grains being unhealthy for everyone. It really doesn't.

Do you understand glycemic index and load? Whole wheat/whole meal bread 74±2 White wheat bread* 75±2

All carbs cause an insulin response. The higher the GI the more insulin the body has to pump out to get the sugar out of the blood. Fiber helps slow it down but all the indigestible fiber is scraping along the intestinal walls and taking precious nutrients with them. They also contain toxins (antinutrients) that inhibit the intestine from absorbing nutrients (and most of the nutrients that are in grains have low bioavailability - the body won't absorb them). And they also cause inflammation in the body. And they also screw up the Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio. A 1:1 balance is best and we are getting about 20:1 in the Standard American Diet.

About 60 years ago the government got involved with what scientists were trying to study about the american diet and chronic illnesses. When it became political and all about money it went downhill from there.

And there hasn't been hundreds of years of research. Up until around 1950 or so, all diets consisted of removing carbs - mainly flours and sugars - from the picture.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.

As is the salt in salted butter

Wrong. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-salt-made

Um, forget the salt. Butter is only made through processing.

You might want to look up that so called "processing".
  • bcattoes
    Options

As is the salt in salted butter

Wrong. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-salt-made

Um, forget the salt. Butter is only made through processing.

You might want to look up that so called "processing".

So do you know a cow that produces butter without processing? Just because it can be processed without electricity doesn't mean it's as you'd find it in nature. Whether by hand churn or machine, butter is a processed food.
  • Sam899
    Sam899 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of starting to try a paleo -ish lifestyle. I do crossfit (and totally love it) and a lot of people that crossfit eat paleo. To be honest, every time I see one of these threads talking about paleo it's the paleo people that turn me off. I agree with the one poster who said paleo people tend to bash everything else. I can see that it's not for everyone and everyone has different motivations/reasons for eating the way they do, but why do so many of these "paleo" eaters come off so elitist? You know you really put a bad taste out there for those that are considering doing paleo.

Personally, I'm most concerned about giving up so many things at once. I can do no grains, that's fine, but beans and dairy too, that's going to be rough. I try to eat clean most of the time (this past weekend, and the left overs this week have been an exception) so it won't be that much of a change, like I said, just restricting so many items at once will take some effort. I'd be open to some support from those of you that are paleo but I don't need anyone telling me this is best and everything else sucks. I don't believe in that, there's a plan for everyone and they don't have to all be the same. Just because one person is a vegatarian doesn't make them the devil, and by the same means, just becuase you're paleo doens't make you god. So any open minded paleo people that want to help me out, I'd be open to that!

I would be interested in examples. If you have followed the “paleo” threads you have seen me, I post on most of them when I see one. In all the threads I have seen about Paleo, I have never seen a “Paleo” person start the attacks, it has ALWAYS been in defense against the lies and misinformation and attacks by the, everything in moderation,,,,,,,,,, (I’ll be nice) people. I admit I have a bias and maybe I don’t see the elitist attitudes. Take this thread for example, the very first response was to question it as a “fad”, and fad carries the connotation that you must be easily duped to fall for that “fad”, in other words you are an idiot for falling for a fad, while I am so much smarter because I do everything in moderation.

And then we have the folks that will pick one thing out of the diet and assume that everyone is eating only that one thing and eating it until they can’t stand and say “See this diet sucks compared to my moderation diet”. Really? This is a back handed attack, this is elitist. We also have those that accuse us of being hypocrites if we dare to eat one thing that is not “on” the diet, and again hold up the everything in moderation moniker, well after all if you do “everything” in moderation then you can’t possibly go off your diet, or can you. Any of these “superior” human beings ever go over their moderation?

Seriously, you're going to try to attack me on this for my opinion. This is exactly what I'm talking about, and here I'm trying to make an effort and eat paleo, way to go. You people are adults get over yourselves. I'll find "support" somewhere else.
  • freerange
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of starting to try a paleo -ish lifestyle. I do crossfit (and totally love it) and a lot of people that crossfit eat paleo. To be honest, every time I see one of these threads talking about paleo it's the paleo people that turn me off. I agree with the one poster who said paleo people tend to bash everything else. I can see that it's not for everyone and everyone has different motivations/reasons for eating the way they do, but why do so many of these "paleo" eaters come off so elitist? You know you really put a bad taste out there for those that are considering doing paleo.

Personally, I'm most concerned about giving up so many things at once. I can do no grains, that's fine, but beans and dairy too, that's going to be rough. I try to eat clean most of the time (this past weekend, and the left overs this week have been an exception) so it won't be that much of a change, like I said, just restricting so many items at once will take some effort. I'd be open to some support from those of you that are paleo but I don't need anyone telling me this is best and everything else sucks. I don't believe in that, there's a plan for everyone and they don't have to all be the same. Just because one person is a vegatarian doesn't make them the devil, and by the same means, just becuase you're paleo doens't make you god. So any open minded paleo people that want to help me out, I'd be open to that!

I would be interested in examples. If you have followed the “paleo” threads you have seen me, I post on most of them when I see one. In all the threads I have seen about Paleo, I have never seen a “Paleo” person start the attacks, it has ALWAYS been in defense against the lies and misinformation and attacks by the, everything in moderation,,,,,,,,,, (I’ll be nice) people. I admit I have a bias and maybe I don’t see the elitist attitudes. Take this thread for example, the very first response was to question it as a “fad”, and fad carries the connotation that you must be easily duped to fall for that “fad”, in other words you are an idiot for falling for a fad, while I am so much smarter because I do everything in moderation.

And then we have the folks that will pick one thing out of the diet and assume that everyone is eating only that one thing and eating it until they can’t stand and say “See this diet sucks compared to my moderation diet”. Really? This is a back handed attack, this is elitist. We also have those that accuse us of being hypocrites if we dare to eat one thing that is not “on” the diet, and again hold up the everything in moderation moniker, well after all if you do “everything” in moderation then you can’t possibly go off your diet, or can you. Any of these “superior” human beings ever go over their moderation?

Seriously, you're going to try to attack me on this for my opinion. This is exactly what I'm talking about, and here I'm trying to make an effort and eat paleo, way to go. You people are adults get over yourselves. I'll find "support" somewhere else.

Seriously? You took that as an attack on you? The only "you" involved in my post was to ask for examples. The rest was an attempt to show how these threads go, and to defend what you might see as Paleo elitest, being actually paleo defensiveness. I took your first post as an honest question, now, I'm thinking you have no interest in Paleo, just setting up a strawman.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    From the Harvard School of Public Health:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/index.html

Don't be misled by fad diets that make blanket pronouncements on the dangers of carbohydrates. They provide the body with fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function, and they are an important part of a healthy diet. But some kinds of carbohydrates are far better than others.

The best sources of carbohydrates—whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients. Easily digested refined carbohydrates from white bread, white rice and other refined grains, pastries, sugared sodas, and other highly processed foods may contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-and-the-glycemic-load/index.html

A food's glycemic load is determined by multiplying its glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate it contains.

Here is a listing of low, medium, and high glycemic load foods. For good health, choose foods that have a low or medium glycemic load, and limit foods that have a high glycemic load.

--Low Glycemic Load (10 or under)
    High-fiber fruits and vegetables (not including potatoes)
    Bran cereals (1 oz)
    Many beans and legumes, including chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, pinto beans (5 oz cooked, approx. 3/4 cup)

--Medium Glycemic Load (11-19)
    Pearled barley: 1 cup cooked
    Brown rice: 3/4 cup cooked
    Oatmeal: 1 cup cooked
    Bulgur: 3/4 cup cooked
    Rice cakes: 3 cakes
    Whole grain breads: 1 slice
    Whole-grain pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked
    No-sugar added fruit juices: 8 oz

--High Glycemic Load (20+)
    Baked potato
    French fries
    Refined breakfast cereal: 1 oz
    Sugar-sweetened beverages: 12 oz
    Jelly beans: 10 large or 30 small
    Candy bars: 1 2-oz bar or 3 mini bars
    Couscous: 1 cup cooked
    Cranberry juice cocktail: 8 oz
    White basmati rice: 1 cup cooked
    White-flour pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked
  • freerange
    Options
    From the Harvard School of Public Health:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/index.html

Don't be misled by fad diets that make blanket pronouncements on the dangers of carbohydrates. They provide the body with fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function, and they are an important part of a healthy diet. But some kinds of carbohydrates are far better than others.

The best sources of carbohydrates—whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients. Easily digested refined carbohydrates from white bread, white rice and other refined grains, pastries, sugared sodas, and other highly processed foods may contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-and-the-glycemic-load/index.html

A food's glycemic load is determined by multiplying its glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate it contains.

Here is a listing of low, medium, and high glycemic load foods. For good health, choose foods that have a low or medium glycemic load, and limit foods that have a high glycemic load.

--Low Glycemic Load (10 or under)
    High-fiber fruits and vegetables (not including potatoes)
    Bran cereals (1 oz)
    Many beans and legumes, including chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, pinto beans (5 oz cooked, approx. 3/4 cup)

--Medium Glycemic Load (11-19)
    Pearled barley: 1 cup cooked
    Brown rice: 3/4 cup cooked
    Oatmeal: 1 cup cooked
    Bulgur: 3/4 cup cooked
    Rice cakes: 3 cakes
    Whole grain breads: 1 slice
    Whole-grain pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked
    No-sugar added fruit juices: 8 oz

--High Glycemic Load (20+)
    Baked potato
    French fries
    Refined breakfast cereal: 1 oz
    Sugar-sweetened beverages: 12 oz
    Jelly beans: 10 large or 30 small
    Candy bars: 1 2-oz bar or 3 mini bars
    Couscous: 1 cup cooked
    Cranberry juice cocktail: 8 oz
    White basmati rice: 1 cup cooked
    White-flour pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked

That’s real nice, and for those that choose to diet according to the low fat, high carb model, or the everything in moderation model, this is good information to have.

But let me ask you this, how has the “school of Public Health” model, worked for the majority of Americans? The facts remain that as a Nation we spend more and more on Dietary guide lines, on advertising Dietary guide lines, on promoting low fat, high fiber, high grain diets, but we keep getting fatter, and fatter. Either the promotions and advertising don’t work, (ask McDonalds if advertising works) or the model is flawed.