Who is MFP for?

Options
I have to ask this because, quite frankly, I dont know the answer. Something is botheriing me! I am wondering whether this site is for big people who want to be small, unfit people who want to be fit, or a mix of both. I am rather disturbed by some of the profile pictures some people have put on here as they are, quite honestly, pictures of near anorexic young woman / girls.

I strongly beleive that this site should be used as a tool to HELP acheive a healthy lifestyle through sensible eating and regular excercise. It is most useful to people who need the support of a network of friends, albeit virtual, and do not want, for whatever reason, the formal regular support from a group such as WW.

From a males point of view, and please dont take offence, a near skeletal frame on a pretty woman is not attractive. I underdstand that anorexia is an illness but I ask myself "is MFP an appropriate platform to encouragebeing so skinny".

Im sorry if this has upset anyone, it wasnt meant to, it was just meant to encourage some debate.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Some of the "thin" young women may be recovering from and Eating Disorder and need the encouragement that MFP offers, not to mention the calorie counter helps to ensure they are eating enough, and not too little. I do agree that MFP is here to help people get fit and healthy, not just lose weight.
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    I understand completely where you are coming from. I am weighing in at 233 lbs and deisire to learn to jog for a healthy heart and get my weight down to 165 or whatever feels good for me and pleases my doctor. I saw people on here who weighed 110 lbs who are wanting to lose 10 or 5 lbs or ppl who weigh 125 who are dying to weight 115 and it pisses me off. Its not all about how little you can weigh but its about a healthier lifestyle. I guess I have to respect those who join only to lose a few lbs but it's just too much to see sometimes and can be discouraging that is why I opted out of adding any friends unless they are in my boat and have a lot to lose and want to be healthy... not just skin a bones.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    MFP is for everyone. Those 'people' you are referring to may in fact be here to take that first step in recovery. To begin helping themselves. Success can be acheived when you are surrounded by encouraging, supportive, understanding people. In reality, they may not have environment and mfp can offer what they are missing.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I know some people with EDs that are using it as a tool to help get themselves healthy.Or as part of their recovery.I did not relize this site was intended for just one group of people,I thought it was for anyone.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've seen a whole mixture of people on MFP, and on my friends list. The majority on my friends list are people that are in the overweight category of their BMI, and would like to lose weight, and get fitter, they tend to be trying to improve their diets through watching their nutrients, decreasing processed foods and learning to cook better, alongside aiming to complete things like the couch to 5K programme. I've also got at least one person on my list that doesn't need to lose weight, or want to lose weight, but is using MFP to hone their nutritional balance while improving muscle tone and fitness. I have to say I've not personally seen anyone aiming to lose more than is healthy, but I think I'd try and guide someone in the right direction if they were openly posting about wanting to lose "too much" weight (what too much is is subjective). I do know a lot of people post profile pictures that are not them, so maybe that gives a distorted view of the users?

EDIT: like those posters above, I've also seen a few recovering from eating disorders, or taking their first steps, and people trying to put ON weight using this site. It's now a diet site, it's a fitness site. Whether you want to improve your fitness, your nutrition, lose weight or gain weight or stay the same weight.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have had these same thoughts in the past. But, in a public forum it is hard to know who is here for legit/not legit reasons. Also, remember that profile/avatar pics are not always of the actual person. May be an old pic or a pic of what they want to look like. I have seen a few topics from a person that is already tiny and wants to lose 10 more pounds and I have to just close the thread and move on. I so badly sometimes want to say "what are you thinking" but I don't know where this person is in there life journey nor do I know what kind of shape they are actually in so I just move on.

The majority of people here are here for the health and very supportive as well as full of information. Like any public forum you have to learn to take from it what you can and leave the rest sometimes.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I strongly beleive that this site should be used as a tool to HELP acheive a healthy lifestyle through sensible eating and regular excercise. It is most useful to people who need the support of a network of friends, albeit virtual, and do not want, for whatever reason, the formal regular support from a group such as WW.

This is what MFP is for. However, yes, there are some people who are on here who are very thin. MFP is also used by some to gain weight, as it allows you to work with the calorie counter to do so. It is not a place to encourage EDs, but healthy living. Hopefully those who are struggling can reach out to the community to get the proper feedback they need, and warmth to guide them to be healthy.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I have to ask this because, quite frankly, I dont know the answer. Something is botheriing me! I am wondering whether this site is for big people who want to be small, unfit people who want to be fit, or a mix of both. I am rather disturbed by some of the profile pictures some people have put on here as they are, quite honestly, pictures of near anorexic young woman / girls.

From a males point of view, and please dont take offence, a near skeletal frame on a pretty woman is not attractive. I underdstand that anorexia is an illness but I ask myself "is MFP an appropriate platform to encouragebeing so skinny".

Im sorry if this has upset anyone, it wasnt meant to, it was just meant to encourage some debate.

MFP is for anyone that needs help & accountability in achieving their goals. Quite frankly it is also partially a dating site, or at least has those overtones. That was never Mike's intention but it has partially evolved into that. People tend to make close relationships on here and they grow into dating relationships sometimes. But overall it remains a support site to achive whatever your fitness goals may be.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    MFP is for everyone. Those 'people' you are referring to may in fact be here to take that first step in recovery. To begin helping themselves. Success can be acheived when you are surrounded by encouraging, supportive, understanding people. In reality, they may not have environment and mfp can offer what they are missing.

This, truely.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some very interesting points.

I view the site as a tool that all people should use to reach there own goals.

There are a few people on here with Eating Disorders and I think they should be to use the site to to gain weight or re take some control over there issues

I think a lot of people, and I have the guts to include myself, forget what the site is called.
    Its no My skinny Pal
    or My lose as much weight as i jolly well can pal
    It my FITNESS PAL

FIT = Healthy !

Which means a healthy weight, a good balance between living and enjoying life,
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options

Thats a great point and im glad you made it.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Its not that you are encouraging them to stay skinny! Maybe some of us are using it to stay fit or to lose weight the healthy way instead of an unhealthy way. Perhaps some of the "skinny girls" need help gaining or maintaining. You really don't know a members story unless you ask. So I do take a tad bit of offense but hey this is a public thread....I just say to you don't be so quick to judge just cos the pic you see of the person is a "skinny pic"
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I've wondered this same thing. In the past week I have come across a couple of posts that were a little disturbing. It is my opinion that this site is here to encourage healthy eating/exercise habits which in turn encourages healthy weight loss for those of us who need it. I don't believe it is intended to encourage unhealthy goals.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Jeff,

This place is for everyone (read everyone) to come together without judgement. This post is an example (read perfect example) of someone for whom MFP is not for...

I am offended by your remarks, comments, and attitude. Your judemental comments are not welcomed here. If you can not live with that I suggest you go find a 'perfect' world website where all your expectaions of others can be realized.

Otherwise if you remain here (which I welcome you to do) I respectfully suggest that you keep your ideas about other peoples journeys to yourself.

Sincerely,

ZebraHead
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, society's ideal tells us that skinny = pretty/fit. It takes a lot of maturity (not always age related) to realize that fit and pretty comes in a lot of different packages. I hate that so many women can't accept that no matter what they do, they will never look exactly like the women in magazines. Our body structure, bone structure and genetics all combine to make each of us individually beautiful.

I know that many people don't use their own picture as an avatar. They find a picture of the body/body type they want to be and use that. Up until this weekend I had a picture of myself in my sports bra and shorts as my avatar. Not pretty, certainly far from fit, but ME. Realistically showing the world who I am and why I'm here. The picture I have now is also me, just proudly wearing a dress I couldn't zip a couple of months ago. Still not fit or thin, but closer than I've been in a long time.

I wish more people would love and accept who they are while working toward being a better them, than trying to look like someone else.

We are all here because we aspire to be better. I believe that most here truly do want to be healthier and fitter. I do believe we need to be better ME's, not better copies of someone else.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Woops, double posted! I sure wish there was a delete post button!:flowerforyou:
  • notapromqueen
    notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There's many options when you sign up. I only know this because it was just a week ago when I did. It asks if you're trying to lose weight, maintain weight or even gain weight. I think there's a mixture of pretty much everyone on here. While most of us are here to lose weight, I have seen several profiles of people who have already lost their weight and are just here for maintaining weight support. I haven't ran into anyone trying to gain weight yet, but I'm sure they're here somewhere! :smile:
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I agree - it's pretty much for anyone who wants to track what they eat - or their exercise - in a healthy way. Many thin people are not necessarily healthy. Also, I've read many posts from people who are tracking their food for a variety of health-related purposes.

Not everyone's profile picture is a self-portrait, either. Some people use a "goal picture" to help inspire them to meet their goals. Remember, what you see on-line is not necessarily what you get.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's the internet...it's no different than facebook or life in general that matter, you interact with the people you want to interact with. The important thing to remember is that you make this place work for you. It's about support and advice (keeping in mind your doctor and trained professionals are still the people you should consult) you get ideas and support here. Cheers
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Jeff,

This place is for everyone (read everyone) to come together without judgement. This post is an example (read perfect example) of someone for whom MFP is not for...

I am offended by your remarks, comments, and attitude. Your judemental comments are not welcomed here. If you can not live with that I suggest you go find a 'perfect' world website where all your expectaions of others can be realized.

Otherwise if you remain here (which I welcome you to do) I respectfully suggest that you keep your ideas about other peoples journeys to yourself.

Sincerely,

ZebraHead

This is why you are such an amazing friend :heart:
This discussion has been closed.