Who is MFP for?

Options

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This site is for people who try to get healthy. Not all of them are. Only today I've seen couple of profiles, first - girl who is already underweight - 159cm with a UG of 41kg. With a profile post - hunger hurts, but starving is the way to go!
    Second, girl at 110lbs was debating how to get back to being anorexic, cz bulimia wasnt that good for her teeth, and anyways, she just loves that empty feeling in her stomach. She only wants to lose another 10lbs or so. She wants to be THIN and beautiful. Not healthy and beautiful. THIN.
    So, are you saying that this site is for them, too? Its like a whole group that encourages ED. MFP was not made for that.

So then they should be banned from the site?And who gets to decide whos here for the right reasons?
    I think everyone know definition of healthy. What if someone new enters the site, and first think they see is profile like the ones above? They going to follow the sick lifestyle as this site if for getting healthy. Saying that I dont really see a way to get people like that out. If they wanna be on here, fine, just dont let them put ideas into others people's heads. And they can keep their sickening comments to themselves.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    This site is for people who try to get healthy. Not all of them are. Only today I've seen couple of profiles, first - girl who is already underweight - 159cm with a UG of 41kg. With a profile post - hunger hurts, but starving is the way to go!
    Second, girl at 110lbs was debating how to get back to being anorexic, cz bulimia wasnt that good for her teeth, and anyways, she just loves that empty feeling in her stomach. She only wants to lose another 10lbs or so. She wants to be THIN and beautiful. Not healthy and beautiful. THIN.
    So, are you saying that this site is for them, too? Its like a whole group that encourages ED. MFP was not made for that.

id probably de-friend those people if i wasnt enjoying their conversations.
    Doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to have them.

tbh though i dont have a big problem with grown adults egging each other on with unhealthy behaviours as long as they ARE grown adults.
    I mean its not ideal of course, but a lot of people with EDs feel very alone, yet arent ready to stop yet and it can be very comforting to be able to talk to others who feel the same way. As i said, its not ideal, but if theyre adults then they can make their own decisions
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    and whats wrong with wanting to be thin and beautiful?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to respectfully request that we keep this post to a civil level of discourse.

Some of the folks posting on here are obviously bothered by some of the replies, as well as the original posting.

What I would like to remind everyone is if you cannot keep your own replies civil and respectful, regardless of other posts or replies, then you yourself risk moderator action as well (as per the site rules).

So please folks, before I'm forced to take actions that the moderators loath to take (locking or removing a thread, we don't ever like doing it, and always consider all other avenues before doing so), I request that you make your best effort to keeping your replies civil and respectful.

thank you.

SHBoss1673
    MyFitnessPal forum moderator
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Its not that you are encouraging them to stay skinny! Maybe some of us are using it to stay fit or to lose weight the healthy way instead of an unhealthy way. Perhaps some of the "skinny girls" need help gaining or maintaining. You really don't know a members story unless you ask. So I do take a tad bit of offense but hey this is a public thread....I just say to you don't be so quick to judge just cos the pic you see of the person is a "skinny pic"
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Everyone! Stop knocking down straw men here!

Many of you are taking what someone says, simplifying it, distorting it and then pointing it out as invalid. It's not productive.

Don't say STOP JUDGING if someone says "I'm concerned people don't have healthy goals." (one example of many)

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I don't know how to handle it but I concerned about pro-ana/mia tenancies on here and I think that warrants some thought from everyone.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree! Why are we being judgmental? If you resonate with someone's story - great! If not, no need to get involved. And - I am disturbed about my 4 remaining pounds BECAUSE I put them on due to emotional eating, not because I am trying to look like a skeleton. What MFP does for me is give me a sense of control over my eating and nutritional habits. It enhances my self-confidence.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

tbh though i dont have a big problem with grown adults egging each other on with unhealthy behaviours as long as they ARE grown adults.
    I mean its not ideal of course, but a lot of people with EDs feel very alone, yet arent ready to stop yet and it can be very comforting to be able to talk to others who feel the same way. As i said, its not ideal, but if theyre adults then they can make their own decisions
    Subject is a bit touchy for me. My sister-in-low is battling bulimia right now. Guess how she got it? She looked on internet for ways to loose weight. She found a website, girls encouraging each other to puke, or to not eat altogether.
    I just dont want mfp to become one of those websites, even marginally.
    Didnt mean to offend anyone
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Like I had said before, there are PLENTY of pro ana.mia sites out there, and I think that the very FEW that do come here thinking they are going to get that atmosphere, quickly learn that this is not what they are looking for.....Please do not judge everyone that is here and suffering from an ED by a few remarks made by ones that do not want recovery....
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow! honestly i can not believe this thread. :noway: if you are new to mfp let me tell u what mfp is about: UNCONDITIONAL (repeat that) UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT! No one is gonna force you to friend people that u dont want to, but this site is open to ANYONE who wants to join for ANY reasons. so if you dont like something dont look... if someone asks your opinion feel free to give it but if not than its their life not yours.
    I wanna thank ALL MY MFP FRIENDS for being such an awesome support group.:love:
    i wouldve quit months ago if not for this site!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

So then they should be banned from the site?And who gets to decide whos here for the right reasons?
    I think everyone know definition of healthy. What if someone new enters the site, and first think they see is profile like the ones above? They going to follow the sick lifestyle as this site if for getting healthy. Saying that I dont really see a way to get people like that out. If they wanna be on here, fine, just dont let them put ideas into others people's heads. And they can keep their sickening comments to themselves.

And maybe some of us feel that overly judgmental(censored for language) should keep their sickening comments to themselves.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Subject is a bit touchy for me. My sister-in-low is battling bulimia right now. Guess how she got it? She looked on internet for ways to loose weight. She found a website, girls encouraging each other to puke, or to not eat altogether.
    I just dont want mfp to become one of those websites, even marginally.
    Didnt mean to offend anyone

That sucks that your sister is going through that,but thats like saying violent video games cause people to kill.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Like I had said before, there are PLENTY of pro ana.mia sites out there, and I think that the very FEW that do come here thinking they are going to get that atmosphere, quickly learn that this is not what they are looking for.....Please do not judge everyone that is here and suffering from an ED by a few remarks made by ones that do not want recovery....
    I would never do that. I admire the people who have enough courage to try to get better. This site is perfect for them. And I'd help them anyway I can. They are very brave. :drinker:
  • noxx27
    noxx27 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    With all due respect I believe you are trying to force your views on others. Just because you think someone is too thin does not mean they are. I have been here quite a while and lost weight and become much more healthy. Yet I have only once seen someone on this sight that fit into your description and some others were already addressing it with them about a proper deit and eating correctly this community monitors itself and is for everyone, not just one group of people. I did find your very one sided point of view very sad! I hope you do wake up and realize that this place is a lot of things to a lot of people. And most of all thank god it's not up to you to decide what this site is! Good luck doing whatever it is you do here. As you stated this is not meant to offend just share a point of view that is a bit more open.

Good luck.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    To the OP---Here is my thoughts on your thoughts. MFP is a free website at use for all walks of life, skinny, fat, lazy, anorexic or how every you want to deem us. In your opinion, a skin and bones women is unattractive, well, you are intitled to your opinion but maybe that person is using this site as a tool for support to gain weight and be happy with they way they look. Don't judge unless ye be judged. AND DON'T make rude statements for debate.

I am here to lose weight, some of my "virtual friends" are here to maintain their body, and others that are my "virtual friends" are here to gain weight via muscle and learn how to better watch what they eat via nutrition. So this site, being free and public is for every Tom, **** and Jane in the free world. If you don't like the pics that you see, you can always close your eyes, or just avoid those pics, which would be a valid solution. I am here to have support from some amazing people, give that support back hopefully ten fold, and to lose these extra lbs that I have packed on in this journey we call life.

If that is what you are here for, so be it. But everyone has the right to use this "Free" site however the see fit. Let these people seek the knowledge and power and support they need with out judging them based on looks or pics. That is all I have to say.

thats why we love you beaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

People do have their own brains you know. They can think for themselves. I seriously doubt some new person is going to wander onto a pro ana profile and see that he or she is only eating 300cals a day and think that it is a healthy way to lose weight. And if they do... Well they are either a child/early teen and shouldn't be on this site anyway without parental supervision (which would be the responsibility of said parents or guardians) or, they aren't the brightest crayon in the box and will surely feel the ill effects within a couple if days and research nutrition a bit more (eg look at other profiles or forum posts). People can think for themselves you know. We don't need to be told what to think and what to believe.

As for their 'sickening comments'... I will say it again; if it is bothering you so much, why are you reading it???
    One of my friends requested advice on if she should report one of those girls for exacly that reason. I can hardly give advice without reading.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    talking about pro-ana/mia whats the difference really. One is encouraging people to eat less and exercise more and the other is encouraging people to eat less and exercise more............................oh wait!!!

The ONLY difference is whether the persons starting weight. Ive seen plenty of people go WAHEY WTG GREAT JOB when someone restricts heavily, but because they could do with losing a few lbs, its not seen as a big deal.

Pro-ana/mia sites do not give people eating disorders. They do not try and stop people from recovering in my experience if thats what the person wants. i have been on a few when i was at my worst and there was nearly always a supportive forum on each one for people who wanted to recover, where they would get support and encouragement, but in my experience of the pro-ed boards ive been on, they were the ONLY place where people understood where i was coming from, yet didnt try and bully me into getting better, therefore making me just hide what i was doing even more. They were the only places i could be honest, and i got good support for the emotional side of things, yet people would also be happy for me when i acheived my personal goals, even if they werent "officially healthy". One by one the boards all got closed down though through peoples outrage etc etc, and yes, now there are hardly any boards like that. Its hard to find them, and theres always the risk theyll get shut down and the communities forcibly disbanded as though people with EDs are some sort of criminals who shouldnt be allowed to discuss things like that unless theyre pretending to want to get better.

People will ONLY recover when THEY are ready.
This discussion has been closed.