People being negative because I "only" needed to loose 22lbs

Options

Replies

• pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    It's "lose".
    Sorry, but is IS "lose". I do not find it offensive to correct an obvious grammatical error. Of course I was a journalism major and maybe take more offense than others. But we should all keep learning, right? So no harm done in pointing it out. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, generally this is why I shy away from a lot of the weight loss talk, becuase for me "only" wanting to lose 15 lbs it didn't seem like I "fit in".

People should be congratulated on healthy weight loss whether its 3 or 300 to get where they want
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I joined MFP together. I need to lose around seventy pounds, and she only needed to lose ten. Do I envy her? You betcha, but I commend her trying to maintain a healthy weight. Weightloss is weightloss. Whether you need to lose ten pounds or seventy, We're all in the same boat.

Not to mention, it's been a lot harder for her to lose the ten pounds than it has been for me to lose the seventy. In some respects, I think it's more difficult for the people who only need/want to lose a smaller amount of weight.

Keep your head up, and be proud of the weight you've lost!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No mattehow much you have to lose, the whole process is hard and can be streesful at times. There is no reason for anyone, especially someone that has been through the process, to put anyone down. Just keep your head up, and keep it moving.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's "lose".
    Sorry, but is IS "lose". I do not find it offensive to correct an obvious grammatical error. Of course I was a journalism major and maybe take more offense than others. But we should all keep learning, right? So no harm done in pointing it out. :)

Yes, but when she is already upset? It's not needed.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I joined MFP together. I need to lose around seventy pounds, and she only needed to lose ten. Do I envy her? You betcha, but I commend her trying to maintain a healthy weight. Weightloss is weightloss. Whether you need to lose ten pounds or seventy, We're all in the same boat.

Not to mention, it's been a lot harder for her to lose the ten pounds than it has been for me to lose the seventy. In some respects, I think it's more difficult for the people who only need/want to lose a smaller amount of weight.

Keep your head up, and be proud of the weight you've lost!

Absolutely! I have been bigger than I am now and smaller than I am now in my life. At one point I had about 35lbs to lose, and I'll tell you that it came off MUCH easier than the 10 I've been trying to lose for the last 2 months!
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am short also and I have a daughter that is over weight by many pounds. I am considered in the Obese catagory, but most people do not think I am. It is just as important for me to lose the added weight as it is for those that carry more lbs.
    And it does not make it any easier as like my daughter if she puts her mind to it can lose ten in a week and I am tickled to have a 1/2 lb. I don't think we will ever get them to understand. We just got to keep our focus on our goal and our health. God Bless!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It's "lose".

You can look at it that way but I look at it as someone is already angry about something and the first thing they see and only thing you put on the post is that they didn't spell something correctly. That is extremely rude and didn't help anything. She could have used the word lose correctly in some advice that she was giving her to show her how it is spelled in a polite way. That was rude and I would think it was rude if you did that too. Journalism major or not manners are more important that correcting someones grammar or spelling.
  • hunterdog
    hunterdog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's "lose".

so.... when we start grammatically correcting you for "is" being written twice there will be no harm? :wink:

congrats on losing the 20lbs, whether is 20 or 200 it's hard losing the weight either way. you deserve some kudos, not petty comments. CONGRATS :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can totally see your co-workers point! You should definitely have waited until you gained another 50 lbs before you did anything about it. What could you possibly have been thinking??? :flowerforyou:
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can totally see your co-workers point! You should definitely have waited until you gained another 50 lbs before you did anything about it. What could you possibly have been thinking??? :flowerforyou:

Love this!!!!!!!!!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    She's jealous. You're still the "bigger" person, LOL.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    yeah ok, well if you were trying to not offend people who have a lot of weight to lose, you failed.

Twice in this post, you look down your nose at people who let themselves get that way.

Your attitude is absolutely no better than the woman who is insensitive to someone who only has to lose 20 pounds.

it's EXACTLY the same in reverse. A bit stunning that you don't see that.

A pound is a pound is a pound. It's easy to put on and not so easy to take off. No matter how much or how little you have to lose, everyone is here trying to do exactly the same thing, if to different degrees.
  • hdogar
    hdogar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I know how u feel. if its any consolation, i think its harder to lose just the little bit than for someone who is really over weight.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You know, she may just be upset that she let herself get to the poin of having to lose 77 pounds where as you only let yourself get to the point of having to lose 20..

I wouldn't let it bother you.. If she keeps making snide remarks, let her know that you wanted to tackle your weight issues before you let them get to the point of having to lose 77 pounds... say it sweetly, and smile afterwards. and she will get the hint. plus she wont be able to call you a b**ch! haha

Being someone who you would assume "let herself go" and had to lose a lot of weight I can tell you she doesn't need the reminder and the OP doesn't need to lower herself to that level.

Also, I didn't let myself go.... I crash dieted my way right on up the scale doing all the fad diets trying to lose weight. So you never know and should never assume why someone might be heavy.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's "lose".

It bothers me too, but if you're not going to add anything useful to the conversation, it's a bit childish to point out a spelling mistake. This person came looking for advice, not a spelling lesson. And choosing a major in journalism doesn't mean you have to be a jerk. I majored in English myself, so I notice these things. But I don't go around being the grammar police everywhere I go, because I'm not an a**hole.

To the OP: I "only" had 30 lbs to lose when I started this. I would have been so offended if someone had said something like that to me. And you know what? I've lost a little over 20 at this point, and it must be a big deal, because people are noticing! If 20 pounds wasn't a big deal, I wouldn't be getting comments and congratulations on my weight loss. I haven't told most people in my life that I'm trying to get healthy, but they're noticing anyway. Getting healthy is important, whether you're extremely unhealthy or just "a little" unhealthy. Let it roll off your back and don't worry about it. Like the spelling Nazis in this thread, she's just trying to make herself feel better by putting you down.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    its great that you were able to catch yourself at 20 lbs and not at 50lbs....so forgot the haters, this site is wonderful and will help you with your journey....good luck
    pam
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    My life became a lot better when I decided I didn't give a chit what other people thought.

I am working on not caring what other people think also. Good advice.
    Kudo's to you for doing something about it while it is still only 20 something to lose. I wish that I had started when I was only that much overweight.
    Congrat's for wanting to get healthier.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's "lose".

As I said earlier I amended my OP (apart from the title which I couldn't change)

I appreciate that bad spelling bothers some people, but it was a geniune 'end of a long day, I am so tired' thing so I am not offended.

I do think it's a bit rude to simply reply about my terrible spelling though with nothing at all constructive to say about my actual topic.

I personally wouldn't dream about replying and correcting someone yet not saying a single word about what they were actually seeking advice on!

I may make silly spelling mistakes but I do have very good manners LOL!
  • jpierce8806
    Options
    It's not fair. I have a lot of weight to lose but, no matter how much or how little weight loss is a difficult thing to tackle. She is without tact and very inconsiderate. You'd think that she would understand how difficult it is and would encourage you.