Anyone shop at ALDI?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you like Aldi's you will love their sister store (Trader Joes) which is owned by the same company. Trader Joe's carries more organic/natural products and also more "gourmet" items. They have a fantastic frozen section and cheese selection and the prices are very reasonable. I love the place and products so much I drive 20-25 minutes once a month to stock up :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your Aldi experience though...being from Europe it is the staple place to shop for groceries and they are as common over there as Wal-Mart is here in the States.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    LOVE Trader Joe's and Aldi... Disappointed that OK doesn't have a Trader Joe's since I started eating mostly Organic/All Natural products.

Hoping Aldi starts carrying more organic stuff so I can shop there more often. GREAT PRICES!! And my kids like the cereal, too!
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    This is so funny to read!

In my country Aldi is seen as crappy German food of bad quality that only cheap people will buy :ohwell:

Of course not all think like this, but the majority does!

I never shop there, but that has nothing to do with their rep!

Are you in the UK by any chance? Aldi has a horrible repuation here, not sure why. Its quite funny that the the concept of putting money in a trolley is so alien to Americans. We have to do it more of less everywhere, must be alot of thieves in London!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Their plain non-fat yogurt is fab for mixing with fruit, smoothies, etc.
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Frozen Fruit (for smoothies)
    Spinach (bagged)
    Whole Wheat Pasta

With their Fit & Active line keep an eye out for HFCS they seem to use that a lot
    Also, their chocolate is incredible, I get the individual bags (like Dove pieces) for the occasional chocolate craving. It's so rich usually one little piece is enough.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Simms Turkey Snack sticks FOR THE WIN.

Holy crap, $2.49 and they're free of MSG, and low in calories / high in protein.

Also...wild caught salmon for $4.49. Awesome.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Little known fact- ALDI and Trader Joe's are the same company. Really. Look it up.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I like what they sell, but what I DON'T like (at least where I live) is the 45-60 minute wait to checkout! There are seven registers at the Aldi in my town, but they only ever have one (ONE!) open. People are always lined up clear to the back of the store, and evey cart is filled to the brim. I tend not to shop there because of this.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oklahoma too.. no Trader Joe's here! Good to know they are similar/owned by the same people...

Money in a trolley...... A trolley being the cart? I am going to start calling them trollies :) it's more fun. Pants are now trousers and garbage is now rubbish. I really need to get out more.

OH OH!!! My ALDI takes debit AND credit.. and cash of course, no checks.

ANNNND The Fit and Active yogurt is AMAZING!
  • rainunrefined
    Options
    I love me some Aldi's!

I ditto everything above and add that I love the balsamic vinaigrette. Only 35 or 45 calories a serving. They also have almond milk now. yay!

Lettuce is really cheap there too.

I looked for almond milk and couldn't find it!! Was it refrigerated or on a shelf?
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Wow, Aldi is in the USA now :)

I don't understand the UK snobbery to be honest, I think their food is as good a quality as any of the other supermarkets, it's cheaper, the fruit and veg looks much better and it's not as busy. Personally I prefer Lidl out of the 2 cheapo german supermarkets, and maybe when I was younger it was a bit embarrassing to be seen in there with my mum, but now i'm in my late twenties I couldn't care less what people think of me shopping there, it's all about the money saving! And I bought my lovely red blender from there and it's great quality. They even sell horse equipment now and then which used to be handy! If only my cat would eat their own brand cat food, she is stuck-up though lol.

Putting money in supermarket trolleys is so common here we have little tokens to put on our keyrings, £1 size!
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Money in a trolley...... A trolley being the cart? I am going to start calling them trollies :) it's more fun. Pants are now trousers and garbage is now rubbish. I really need to get out more.

This made me giggle :) also potato chips are called crisps and fries are called chips, how confusing!
  • rainunrefined
    Options

This made me giggle :) also potato chips are called crisps and fries are called chips, how confusing!

Ahhh "Fish and Chips" makes more sense now! I should have been born English. I'll settle for English friends.. one of my MFP friends is from England and she cracks me up. Love her! Add me people, I need exposure to a more worldly bunch!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi! You get so much more food for less than the other chain stores. The Aldi's near me DO NOT take credit card or check; they only accept cash and debit.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love Aldis. the may not have everything your looking for and your coupons won't work. But their store brands are great
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi too! I just got 2 containers of blueberries for $.99 each! That saved me like $8 right there! I spent $52 and got DD a bunch of granola bars, turkey sausage, lean ground beef, pork chops, chicken tenderloins, grapes, green beans, "whales" instead of Goldfish, green salad mix, bag of spinach, fit & active cheese sticks(yum!), blue corn tortilla chips, Yogurt for DD (like a go-gurt)and I think a few things more.

If I would have went to Harris Teeter or Bi-Lo, I'm sure it would have been double the price even with my couponseasily.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Aldi is GREAT, but you have to read the label on EVERY item.....High Fructose Corn syrup is in ALOT of their stuff......
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I think i need to try Aldi!

HA! Exactly what I was thinking!!