I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but..

Options
12346»

Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You have, in just a few paragraphs, effectively pitted yourself against everyone else. Everyone. In accusing others of making assumptions about you and in saying that others claim their struggle is bigger/better/worse/harder than yours, you have done exactly the same thing.

I think you have turned your struggle into a "me against the world" battle. In doing so, you have cut yourself off from the support of a lot of wonderful people here. All because you think no one has struggled like you. That's a damned shame.

I'm glad you chose an appropriate subject line for your post. Frankly, I'd consider you nuts if you thought otherwise. Good luck to you, but I think you set yourself up for a lonely road.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    Well lets see first LET IT GO!! Next would be don't worry about the things you can't control. And finally you need to love and except yourself, the way you are right now. If you can't get past your mental plateau how can you get past your physical plateau?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Why is it people who are over weight think they have struggled with weight control more than I have?

It's obvious they haven't. I've "struggled" daily for my entire life. They, on the other hand, have obviously not. They chose to ignore weight control and not bother with it. Now they are trying to take a short cut through all the years I walked away from the fried foods and baked good and still think THEY have been struggling longer than me!

Sure, I know you've had spells when you THOUGHT about weight control, and times when you may have even given it a meager attempt. But in the end, YOU skip out and enjoy all the good food and *I* keep on struggling to say no to it.

Don't think less of me because I have never been 50 pounds over weight. I've been working at this harder and longer than you ever will.
    ---

Edited to remove a redundancy not content.
    Hmm I wasnt going to respond to this post because of the length it already had and I only read the first page ..BUT after really reading what the OP said ..I will say this to her..I have struggled with my weight for a long time..in 2009 doing 2hr plus cardio a day and eating 1200 calories..I lost 70lbs that year...I started exercising because I had a rapid weight gain and I didnt know why....its now 2011and I am seeing a Doctor for my thyroid which is basically totally inactive...I didnt know this in 2009...I feel sorry for you that you group people into one cluster...EVERYONE has struggles both emotional and physical.....I have one phrase for you most tend to learn it as children "do unto others as you would want have done unto you".....change your ways of being judgmental and Im sure others may think more of your successes.
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    Whats the point in comparing yourself to other people..... This is your own weight loss/ management journey and i dont think it is fair to judge others. You have obviously done really well by making the right choices in your life. Not everyone makes the same choices and thats what makes us human.

Try to be abit more accepting and focus on your own goals and not the goals of others. There are lots of reason why people are overweight, be it lazyness, over eating, mental and physical trauma or medically induced. You don't know everyones circumstances so it is best to just stay neutral and try to be kind to others.

Hope this helps you.

That is the perfect reply. I won't try to top it.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This is a copy and paste from the OP's profile:

"I live a simple life. I am not interested in all the "health" foods. I eat normal Texas food. I only eat when I am hungry.

My problem-- when I am hungry, I reach for candy. This will fix the hunger and I'll skip meals (because I'm not hungry any more).. then the next time I'm hungry, I do the same thing."

It seems to me that this struggle sounds the same as many of the struggles obese people deal with. I know I have had the candy issue. Seems to me like our struggles aren't all that different after all.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I get the point you were trying to make, that a lot of people may assume it's easy to be so small when in fact it's not. But you made your point in a pretty *kitten* way. If you had just stayed with that train of thought, instead of going ahead and bashing all fat people and lumping them into this category that we so often get put in, that all we do and all we've ever done is be lazy and eat anything that we want, you would have been recieved a lot better. But obviously you did this for a reason, you knew it would make people angry and you did it anyways. You seem to have some issues that need to be worked out, I really never expected something so childish to come out of a 52 year old. At that age I would have hoped you would have been over the whole "attention seeking" deal, because that's what it seems like your issue is, especially since you're trying to turn it into a "i struggle more than you do" pointless competition. People who lose a ton of weight get a lot of kudos and praise, while you get nothing even though you work really hard to maintain. The only thing I can tell you is, you can pick up a pair of big girl panties at walmart for like $5.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone has already put it this way, but I was formulating my response and couldn't focus on reading past the first page until after I say it.

I won't use the word struggle, because as other people said, you don't know about other people, but I get it. Just like I see someone small and think to myself that they inherited good metabolism or happen to love working out, so they've had it easy, you see me who stuffed my face and sat on the couch (in my case, totally true). Now I'm being celebrated for doing that because I have a bigger number to lose, I have more milestones, more habits to change. It makes us feel good to be celebrated like that and would make you feel good to hear the same praise.

I am being absolutely sincere when I say congratulations. It takes tremendous dedication to do it right the first time.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Are we having a pity party today? Who's to say others do not struggle daily whether they weigh 120lbs or 220lbs..and what business is it of anybodys to judge? I'm sorry you can't be motivational and support others, isnt that what this site is for?
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    This is a very good point and I understand what you mean.

I was wondering if anyone would. :wink:

i do too. i have seen many posts on here *****ing about people who "only have a few pounds to lose" and even one or two recommending some form of "segregation" between those needing to lose lots of weight and those "only" trying to lose a little. i for one have lost alot of weight and now that i have less to lose find it pretty much harder than ever. of course i am very thankful to have lost the weight that i have and certainly don't approach additional weight-loss with the urgency i did before but i do understand that someone trying to lose 10-15 lbs can find it very challenging just like someone who has to lose 50+ lbs does...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm locking this thread, from some of the comments its obvious that its upset a fair few people. Just remember EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion and you can state your opinion back, it is a public forum but you cannot resort to name calling.

Please refer to the rules, number 4 in particular......

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The original poster has clarified who she meant, also issued apologies to some but its made no difference to the replies, so I would also urge you to read all replies before adding your own on similar threads in future.

Best regards,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.