6 HOT WEEKS

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
Hi all

this post is starting a thread called 6 HOT WEEKS, and the idea is that it is a motivational thread designed to get us through 6 weeks of summer (or winter if you're in the southern hemisphere), whilst continuing to do our good work of improving fitness and reducing waistlines.

anyone is welcome to join at anytime. we would be pleased to get to know you.

if you want to weigh in, we do that weekly every Monday (to try and keep us on track over the weekends). if you would prefer, you can do measurements and compare current measurements to what you will have achieved in 6 weeks time.

there is a really nice and very supportive bunch of people on here (it is a follow on group from the Easter Bunnies), so come on in.

Replies

• gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    GREAT idea. :)
    Andrea here. Stay at home mom to two boys, Eric is 5 and will go to Kindergarten in the fall and Jacob will be 3 in September.
    I am doing my first triathlon at the end of July. I was a swimmer through most of highschool so I'm not worried about that part. But the run and bike have me nervous. Transitions between the events have me a little nervous too. I would LOVE to drop some of this weight before then because it has been suggested that I get a one piece (read TIGHT) triathlon suit. EEK.
    I pretty much have the exercise part under control. But I could use some much needed attention and hounding about my nutrition.
    I am at a plateau right now between 190-200.
    I'm taking part in 2 Biggest Loser challenges right now- one is individual and the other is with a group of 3 other ladies.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!!! My name's Amy, getting married next spring so slimming down for that. So far I've lost 30 pounds and looking to lose 25-30 more! In the meantime I have a Canada week-long trip coming up in August with my in-laws which should be fun but i'm sure calorie heavy as ALWAYS!!! Right now i'm working full-time, planning a wedding, and working my butt off! My current weight is 164.
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that we have a new group! My name is Kristen and i have lost 41 pounds and have another 70 more to go ! I love the support that i recieve ! My current weight is 194.5.
  • bonjour24
    Options
    hi all and welcome ;-)

kris- that's great... you're doing so well! last time we 'spoke' i remember you'd not long hit onederland! you are doing properly awesome!

well, i'm joni, 32 years young and mum of 3 under 5. i work full time while my hubby is a stay at home dad. we are from the UK, but live in new zealand now, where it is winter!

my goal is to run the auckland half marathon in october. the girls already on here are aware of my various struggles with running (including the fact that i'm slow and heavy, amongst other.......issues, which you'll get to hear about in time i'm sure!).
    i've joined another challenge too (for the 1st time), but it's a 12 week one. so i'm sure i'll put my stats in there, but get more support from here :-)

andrea- awesome to hear you're doing a tri! is it a full tri? i did a baby duathlon a few months ago (5k run and 10k bike) and i enjoyed it! couldn't do the swimming though- i have a thing about swimming in the sea. ugh. what happens to fish poo? that's a concern for me!!

amy- how exciting you're getting married! eek. i got married in las vegas by elvis 6 years ago today!! good times:-). and i hope your in-laws are good to be around! i don't think i could go on holiday with mine. i can barely get through dinner with them! that's why we're 12000 miles away from them!
  • gettinfitmama
    Options
    hmmm I believe it's considered a sprint? not sure. The distances are 500 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 5K run

I've done 4 1/2 marathons and I'm signed up for my 5th in October- the first ever Rock N Roll St. Louis. Really looking forward to it!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Yay! It works! My name is Tammy, and my goal at the moment is to lose to 199. I know I will reassess at that point and pick a final goal. My goal is to just get up and move and lose as much as possible this summer.
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance!! See, we already have a good group!

My name is Mary, 47, married, mother of 3 boys, and I really want to get out of the 200 and into the 1**, then I'll real evaluate and make my next mini goal.

I DEFINATELY need you all!! Summers are so hard for me, the boys home eating all the time, camping and poor choices, hot weather and me hating heat and humidity.... I could go on and on and on........

Okay, since I'm not weighing this month (and it's killing me ladies) I decided to measure this morning. Half way thru the month figure its a good time to. I've lost 1/2 in consisitantly on my bust, waist, and hips. and 1/4 in on my thighs, calves and arms. So, that made me feel great!!

What's everyone else gonna do to hit it hard the second half of this month? I'm back into walking. 30 Day Shred isn't for me. I'm gonnna try to find another dvd I like. I've heard netflix has some on it, so maybe I'll try that. Price is right since we already have it.

Great day to all!!
  • wintermama13
    Options
    I am very excited to get married! A little nervous though...planning things has never been quite my forte and we are at the 10 month countdown today :) Nice to meet everyone else! I am currently doing the 30 day shred Mary. I take a day off here and there though depending on my schedule or my knees. I don't want to kill them so young!!!
    Congrats on 6 years btw!!
  • ah18255
    ah18255 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello everyone!

This is such a great idea! My name is Anna, 25, graduate student living in the Washington D.C. area. I am just starting and have never had to lose weight before. Well, at least, I am currently at my highest weight- around 180. My ultimate goal is to lose 40 lbs and be at my optimum weight for health, however, in the next five weeks I would really like to just lose 2 lbs a week and get hit the 5 percent body weight lost mark. Having never had a significant amount of weight to lose before, I keep starting and failing. I am feeling really good about this though. The fitnesspal community seems so wonderful! Instead of snacking, I am currently cruising the message boards and reading all about people who are doing great things. so inspiring!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Today, I am going to get out and detail and wash my car. IN this heat it must count as some excercise at least! I am doing better on my diet, but think I need a bit more discipline on food choices, and definetly more on excercise. Seem to have lost my motivation when it comes to excercise lately. :(
  • wintermama13
    Options
    I am way unmotivated to work out lately it seems....
  • gettinfitmama
    Options
    I had slowly floated back up about 10 pounds and finally weighed in this evening 2 1/4 pounds down...YAY! Taking part in a group Biggest Loser Challenge with 3 friends. One guy in the group lost 11 pounds in a week and told us his secret was eating 800 calories a day! I hate to be mean but I hope it bites him in the butt! I refuse to stoop to those levels as I know it is WAY unhealthy! I will stick with my slow and steady loss!

Tried on dresses tonight at Kohl's with 2 friends. And while I am no where near my goal weight and I'm still self conscious about my tummy (and everything else about my body) I felt really pretty while trying on the dresses! Got a size 16 that I will be wearing this weekend to a friend's wedding and reception. And I bought a size 14 in another style for later in the summer. I will be sure to have my husband take plenty of pics this weekend. :)

Thanks for letting me share. Sometimes I think my "thin" friends get tired of hearing about my struggles and seemingly (to them) small victories!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Good Morning Hot Mommas! Today my step-dad is coming to whish my son away for 24 hours, and I plan on basking in the glory of alone time, I forcast a hot epsom salt bath. I think I will also do some Yoga. How is everyone doing?
  • mbvenske
    Options
    Morning everyone!!

Tammy - ENJOY your own time! I know how important our kids are, and I'd hate to do without mine, but boy is a little alone time a great thing! Makes us appreciate them more. Have fun!

Andrea - I love to be made to feel special, who doesn't! Glad you can find something you like and you are comfortable in. I also have a wedding coming up and bought a new pair of linen capris for it. Can't remember the last time I bought dress clothes, but we are worth it and sometimes it's fun. Enjoy and keep up the great work.

Springbride - (I gotta go back and find your name), get out of your slump! Lack of motivation is not a good thing. Just start, and you'll continue. my hardest part is getting my butt detached from the couch. Once I do that things are easier. when are you getting married? (i must have missed that also. :blushing:

Anna - I like to do that to, surf the website instead of eat. Nice change up!

Joni - how are things.

Well, I'm at work, and it's calling. Have a strong, healthy day all!!
  • bonjour24
    Options
    i am doing the happy dance, ladies!
    i'm down to 89.5kgs! it is so nice to see a different number at the start of your weight!
    i wonder how long it will take for that 8 to become a 7?

do any of you ladies have the prob with TOM that i do? i gain some weight, but it doesn't just drop off- i have to lose those same pounds all over again, in the same way. i don't overeat or anything (anymore!).
    any tips on keeping gain around TOM to a minimum? or tips of how to lose it easier?
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Lori, but I go by 2stepz on the web. I seem to have a popular name and a unique handle, so it works for me.

I am currently a graduate student finishing my Master's Thesis in Systems Engineering and Management. I work part time at the University where I take classes and part time at a local community college as a secretary/general administrative support. I'm on evening shift this summer.

I was born and raised in Missouri, left for Vegas, and returned 5 years later. Back in Missouri and I feel "at home" here. My boyfriend and I are long distance right now, and that is hard... but its better than being single and alone. He was just here last week for a visit, and I miss him considerably right now. Hopefully he can come for good sometime soon.

I started this leg of my journey at 280+ pounds at the beginning of May. I had been to the doctors office to get some nagging problems figured out... and they all started adding up to a metabolic disorder and insulin resistance. Sooo... in the last 6 weeks I have completely given up soda. I have cut fried foods from my diet. Started taking exercise more seriously. Though I don't trust my scale, it says I've lost between 9 and 11 lbs in the first month. (New scale to be delivered Monday, so WI will be Tuesday this week.)

To Bonjour24 - my advice is to keep a very close eye on your sodium intake, and push water extra hard during TOM. I try to stick more closely to fresh fruits and veggies during that time, limiting all pre-prepared foods, and restricting dairy. Almonds are your friend when it comes to cravings... Blue Diamond makes some dark chocolate mint almonds that are amazing.
  • bonjour24
    Options
    thanks for the tip, lori. and good to have you here:-)

long distance relationships are hard, eh. me and my boyfriend spent 6 months on opposite sides of the planet, but you can get through it. he's my hubby now. and incidentally we got married in vegas- super place!

andrea- welcome to 6 weeks- and i know how people who don't have issues with their weight don't celebrate the same victories as we do! but come on over here and shout out about them! i want to hear about how you've overcame an obstacle, or an NSV. because it's not just about the numbers- it's about how you feel (both physically and mentally).

mary- you're sounding full of beans! is hiding the scale working? i hope so.

and springbride- mary's right! get off your butt- wishful thinking isn't going to make it smaller!! and you'll feel so much better about yourself if you get into doing something. i find a training timetable helpful for me. that way i know i can do the activity morning or night, as long as i do it. gives me a bit more motivation (especially when i cross it off in big red pen!).

i've got to go- i'm at work and sneaking onto the computer!! the boss is looking. i'll catch you all later.

have a good and productive day, ladies
  • mbvenske
    Options
    mary- you're sounding full of beans! is hiding the scale working? i hope so.

What do you mean I'm full of beans??? :happy:

Hell, I don't know if hiding the scale is working, I know it's driving me NUTS!! But I haven't resorted to asking hubbing for it yet. I will be honest, I walked past one at work last week, and dumb me stepped on it. Middle of the day, full uniform, (which gives me about 9 or 10 extra), plus it's a scale I never use. So it said I was 231. At home, June 1st, I was 222. What the hell!!!!!!!!!! Not upset tho, cuz I know that isn't right!

Went for a 4 mile walk this am, cut my time down by a minute and HRM said I upped my cals burnt by 50. Body was working this morning. I'm off this weekend, and am goign to a wedding dance tomorrow. Itll be a good supper but maybe I can feel better about myself and drag my butt on the dance floor and burn some calories there.

Yu all have a fantastic weekend, get your exercise, and DRINK YOU WATER!!!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    TGIF folks!

If it's ok, I too would like to join the group/challenge. Any additional support and motivation
    is always welcome on my continuing weighloss/fitness journey.

My name is Jen, 42 years old. Happily married to my husband Tim of 23 year and have 2 beautiful
    girls 15 and 10.

I've struggled with weightloss most of my adult life- having some successes in the past, but nothing
    with lasting results. I joined a gym 2 blocks from my work 2 years ago, promising to workout 3 times
    a week. I even shelled out some extra cash for a personal trainer. While I was feeling better and
    getting healthier, I was frustrated that I was continuing to juggle the same 5 lbs.

Then my trainer decided to leave and I ended up with a new trainer. This new trainer has made all
    the difference! With his expertise, support, advice and motivation, I lost 25lbs in 6 months time. Now
    I workout 5 days a week (over my lunch) and actually enjoy going to the gym. I even ran my first ever
    5K in October with Ray's help- literally .. he actually showed up and ran along at my side. He believed
    in me, and taught me to beleive in myself.

I'd like to get down to 140lbs(I think- I'll know when I get there) and tone up some more.

I'm looking for something fun and new, and am hoping this is it! I look forward to meeting everyone!
  • wintermama13
    Options
    bonjour 24-my name is Amy, wedding date is 4-14-12.
    mbvenske and bonjour24- I have been trying! I don't know how everyone does it with kids because just my full time job I feel like I choose between working out, seeing my fiance, and cleaning my house! I'll have to learn to manage my time better some day I guess :smile: I did have today off and got some cleaning in though.
    Congrats to everyone on their victories and welcome to the newest members!! :flowerforyou:
    Hopefully I can make it to the gym in the next week seeing as we are paying for it......:grumble: