Weight loss group for petite people

Options
This is a little rant... I'm not judging anyone. (ok maybe myself a little bit out of frustration)
I am 5 ft and 1/2 inch technically speaking, I gave myself an extra 1/2 inch on my profile. I am considered petite, a lot of people would say that a person is not because of thier weight or pants size, well if you go into the petite section of a store (if they have one), or look in a catalog, there are petite size's 16.
I am not a 16, I wear a 9 in juniors, but I always have to try jeans on because even the "Short" jeans are too long. Most stores I have been in the short inseam is 30 in. Guess what my inseam is 27 1/2. Meaning that 90% of the time my pants are dragging on the ground, or I look like a dork with them rolled up, or I have to pay someone to hem them for me.
I was noticing different groups for tall women, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. I think maybe I might just start one for petite people for people that are 5'4 and under. I am 136 lbs. I am considered overweight. I started my weight loss journey at 145lbs. That's a lot for a little person.
I have respect for people that are taller than me(which is pretty much everyone I know so don't get me wrong here), but I do get frustrated sometimes because my taller friends complain about being 140 lbs, and they're 4 inches taller than me.
Has anyone noticed that about the average height of a woman is 5'4 or 5'5, and they say the average weight is 145 lbs.
I do get frustrated because to get my BMI where it should be, or at least in the middle of healthy I should be 115lbs, that's always been hard for me, I haven't been that small since junior high. I will admit I have never been more than 165 in my lifetime, but that's really big for someone so short.
Petite people struggle with weight too. There are a lot of times that people say "you're so tiny you don't need to lose weight." When honestly they have no idea how much I actually weigh, or for some reason or another me being a petite person gives the illusion that I don't weigh that much.
I'm not sure if a lot of you know the little blonde lady with the big voice that appears on glee sometimes, the one with the big knockers. Well her name is Kirston Chenoweth. She is 4'11, I am an inch and a half taller than her. If that gives you an idea here.
So I am making a list about Pro's and Con's of being petite. It's kinda a silly list, but that's for fun. If there is anyone that would like to join my Petite weight loss group please let me know.
Pro's
~ Hide and seek is easy (at least the hiding part is)
~ You become a creative climber in many daily situations
~ Buying kids bikes is cheaper

Con's
~ Capri pants make you look even shorter
~ 10lbs makes a huge difference in you appearance
~ People always ask you to dress like an Elf at Christmas parties to accompany Santa

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    i LOVE this post!!! I am not as short as you, but at 5'3 and with quite a healthy chest, starting at 144lbs made me look huge!!!! I was classed as 'obese' at the gym!!!

I am trying to make it to around 120lbs and these last 5-6lbs im struggling - but i agree... i work with 2 girls the same age as me, one is 5'7 the other 5'9 and it is frustrating!!! But i agree, only a few lbs makes a hugeeeee difference on small frame - so ****! but we small people can do it! I am DETERMINED to do it :) a weight loss group for us shorties is a must!!!!
  • liswar
    liswar Posts: 25
    Options
    I can definitely sympathise with you. I'm roughly the same size & shape as you, and although we may not all have as many lbs/kgs to lose as others, it is proportionate. At least you're here, working on it! Well done!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    On a good day with shoes on I am 5'5". My hubby is 5'7". We are the giants in his family. His father is 5'2" and his mother and sisters are under 5 foot.

I got in an argument with the manager at walmart once. I was trying to buy jeans for my hubby. He wears 30 x 30's they were on the top of the shelf. I usually ask some one to help me, but on this day I was in a grouchy mood. I found the manager and dragged him to where the jeans and asked him to explain how this made sense to him. The jeans with a 40 inseam was at the bottom and the jeans with a 30 inseam were at the top. I explained how if I had to climb and get them and fell because they were so high I would sue them. Common sense people!!!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 1/2" so I know just what you mean... and it also makes my healthy range lower than yours lol. It's why I don't announce my actual weight, I really don't need people to tell me that my weight is fine when it really isn't.

And wanted to add...

Pro - You see things on the bottom shelf of the grocery store that no one knows are there. (Hubby is 6'... he's always amazed at the things I'll throw in the cart that he didn't know were there.)
    Pro - People underestimate the things you can do/lift... and shocking them makes me smile.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Another con, people think its funny when u get mad, they dont take u seriously.
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am 4'11 1/2, I just tell eveyone 5' :) I started my weight loss at 136, which is overweight as you said. My ideal weight is 107, which is difficult to attain. And I also struggle to find pants that aren't to long. People really don't understand, and it can be frustrating
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! I am 5'3" and 1/2 so i say i am 5 4 all the time lol I weigh 162 , i started at 184.5, my legs arent to bad in length but my torso is short, so all my weight is in my middle. I may not be of the petite group your referring to. and yes i am wearing capri pants today that look like to short pants. lol.
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    5'3" here...i'm glad you see climbing shelves as a pro...i'm a regular monkey at the grocery store and it embarrsses my husband, who is also short, but who will not climb ;)
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    On a good day with shoes on I am 5'5". My hubby is 5'7". We are the giants in his family. His father is 5'2" and his mother and sisters are under 5 foot.

I got in an argument with the manager at walmart once. I was trying to buy jeans for my hubby. He wears 30 x 30's they were on the top of the shelf. I usually ask some one to help me, but on this day I was in a grouchy mood. I found the manager and dragged him to where the jeans and asked him to explain how this made sense to him. The jeans with a 40 inseam was at the bottom and the jeans with a 30 inseam were at the top. I explained how if I had to climb and get them and fell because they were so high I would sue them. Common sense people!!!

I know.... that is so crazy.. duh if your shorter they should be close to the bottom ...
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. I would so love to become part of your "little" group!! lol.. I'm 5"1" (I'm sure the 1 only exists in my mind though). I started here at 150 (three weeks ago) and I aim for 120 - 125... I fully understand what you feel being a "shorter" person and being overweight. I see women who are way taller who have very little body fat, complain about their weight and I just want to smack them over the head (of course I would have to climb onto the desk or something)..

A pro of being petite - I dont hit my head in airplanes like most people do!!

A con - I love tall guys... and its hard to dance with them unless I wear really high heels!

Gonna send a request now.. hope you add me!
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    5'3" here...i'm glad you see climbing shelves as a pro...i'm a regular monkey at the grocery store and it embarrsses my husband, who is also short, but who will not climb ;)

My hubby laughs at me. He'll come upstairs from the basement to see me standing on the counter to reach the top shelf in the cabinet. Always asks me why I didn't have him do it. Uhhh duh! I can do it myself!
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    U are all so awesome. If u want to join a weight loss group email me with ur heights and weights, and im gonna make an attempt at making a chart, this can be the starting week, I guess on every tuesday night send me ur current weight. ;)
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    U are all so awesome. If u want to join a weight loss group email me with ur heights and weights, and im gonna make an attempt at making a chart, this can be the starting week, I guess on every tuesday night send me ur current weight. ;)

Sounds like a great idea!! I'm in!
  • cat3nv
    Options

A pro of being petite - I dont hit my head in airplanes like most people do!!

I ran into a tree branch the other day. I NEVER have to duck for anything, so I guess I had a false sense of security. Our back patio is covered. The end of it is pretty low if I wear heels I have to duck, but I do not usually wear heels in the backyard. All of our friends have to duck.
  • cat3nv
    Options

My hubby laughs at me. He'll come upstairs from the basement to see me standing on the counter to reach the top shelf in the cabinet. Always asks me why I didn't have him do it. Uhhh duh! I can do it myself!

I can stand on the counter top and not hit my head on the ceiling. I do not have to duck I fit there perfectly. We have storage space in the hallway I can not reach even with our step stool. I found that if I wear my 4 inch heels with platforms I can peek into the cabinet, but can not reach what is in the back of it.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options

I get on counters too. The all time fav at work was last week I stood on a filing cabinet to hang streamers fr the ceiling, we have a driver thats ab 6'5 and he caught me. He was like "why didnt u just ask me for help?" Of course im to stubborn for help.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options

Sounds like a great idea!! I'm in!

Awesome, I'm going to try to make a graph, chart thing, I haven't done it in a while, lol.
  • blackmamba886
    Options

I can stand on the counter top and not hit my head on the ceiling. I do not have to duck I fit there perfectly. We have storage space in the hallway I can not reach even with our step stool. I found that if I wear my 4 inch heels with platforms I can peek into the cabinet, but can not reach what is in the back of it.

I don't have to duck either. :laugh:
  • blackmamba886
    Options

I get on counters too. The all time fav at work was last week I stood on a filing cabinet to hang streamers fr the ceiling, we have a driver thats ab 6'5 and he caught me. He was like "why didnt u just ask me for help?" Of course im to stubborn for help.

haha! When I moved into my current desk, I was standing on my desk to clean the cabinets and our big boss (in charge of the whole office big) walked in and about fell over laughing. :ohwell:

*edit* BTW, I'm also in... I tend to lose track of myself after about two weeks... need the kick in the rear. :flowerforyou:
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I love this group! I feel your pain! I am about 5 ft. and I get frusterated by a lot of the same things. Thanks for posting this!!:smile: