200+ Fryin' the Fat

Options

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Jenny #1 - the dogs are soooooo CUTE!!!

To all the newbies - putting your name in your sig will help us personalize messages (*wink*)... it took me 6 months to do this. It really helps us old geezers remember your name (some if us are over 40 and need hints!!!)
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Oh and Kristina, you have a blog? Is it on here? I want to follow it!
    i have an online journal, but this is a new blog I'm keeping track of my marathon training in... marathonewbie.blogspot.com

And holy posting batman! I can't keep up with you all!

Ran a 5K this morning with my buddy and Emma which was nice. One more 3 miler to do tomorrow morning, and then I have a 7-miler this weekend to do.

I've had a hellaciously busy week at work, but the end is in sight. Tomorrow's my last day, and I think (THINK) the majority of the craziness of this week is over, yet I have several errands to run after work, as I leave bright and early Friday morning for NC.

Kendal- let's compare schedules and see if we can get together. I'd love to meet up!

And for all the new members, I haven't responded individually to all you, but welcome. Stick with the thread, and it will get less.. erm... crazy. Whenever there is a new challenge starting, there's mass joining. We always have some who end up dropping off (which is sad), but seem to collect some new ones for the long haul every challenge. Basically, just hang on, try and continue to post, and you'll be able to keep up in no time!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    Victoria - The burning pain starts at the ball of the foot and radiates out to the toes and heel. If I don't find a way to relieve it, the toes and balls of the feet start to go numb. I experience this any time I'm on my feet for an extended period of time, standing in place is the worst. I also get it if I've been walking for about 30 min or so. Aerobics classes like Zumba are usually not a problem. I thought it was just my excess weight putting too much pressure on my feet, but I'm beginning to rethink that idea and maybe the weight is just exacerbating the problem.

Tammy - Way to go on the increased walking endurance.

Kerry - A dedicated space would probably make working out at home easier, but we don't really have a space except the basement. I've always disliked basement spaces so I probably wouldn't use it. I think I got over feeling self-conscious at the gym by starting at a rehab facility where I work. I was working with post-op ortho patients and 80 year old people. Didn't really have to worry about impressing anyone or feeling that they were going to judge.

Karen - Yay for the 1/2"!!!

Lacey - I know what you mean about the HRM and BMF. There have been several times I've thought about getting a HRM, but it seems like overkill. I, too, would probably go nuts if the numbers don't match up. Get some rest!

Nava - I'll have to checkout the Vibrams. I like being barefoot. I'll also have to try the toe curling thing. I usually just stop for a couple seconds and rotate my ankles, that seems to help for another 8-10 min. BTW, I live in a bathroom reading house. We actually have a nice stack of magazines and the kindles usually spends some time in there as well. I have the opposite problem with reading at bedtime. I get into the story and stay up WAY too late.

Manda - I've done the same thing with eating before. I just start new the next day. I do a daily calorie check-in just because it makes me more accountable of my intake and exercise. I also weigh every day for the same reason, but I realize that there will be fluctuations. I've also learned A LOT about how my body responds to eating certain things and how it responds to weight loss. We are really flexible in this group and you need to do what works for you. There are several people that only weigh once a week.

Jenn (GonnaDoIt) - You will get it done.

Sarah - Way to go on the workout!

Okay have to get ready for work and take care of the of my mother's spazmatic dog. I'll be SO glad when she gets back on Saturday. That dog just has WAY too much energy.

Nava & Amy - The wife does the same thing. The other day I was waking up and heard "they're out on the kitchen table." I LOVE to respond and see what happens.

Amy - That is funny! I would love to learn German.

Wigglentwink - Don't stress about keeping up. I keep up only because I literally don't do anything at work. As for names, several people have their names listed in their signature.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My afternoon has been nuts! My poor Mellie has some major diaper rash! She's going at least once an hour & we can't keep meds on her poor hiney!! Powder, ointment, Aveeno bath... Nothing helping!! She's allergic to creams & I hate hearing her scream like that! Makes me cry! Once we got her in bed though the hubby made me go take a bath & relax, so hoping to get some sleep tonite with no kids in the bed!

Kristina- will find the blog once on actual computer (on phone now) & bookmark it!

For all the "newbies" a name in the signature helps bunches!!

And my thumbs are getting tired, so I'm goin to bed!!
  • yummywater
    yummywater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    About me: I am (roughly) 62 pounds away from my goal. I don't have any mini-goals set. To me, every pound gone is an achievement and motivation to continue. My only real reason to lose weight is that I feel it's time to. It almost seems like the only real reason to do this is to see if I can. It's kind of odd, really.

Well, I kinda blew up my calorie intake today. It's the third time in nearly a month I've gone over so I'm not that stressed. Tomorrow is a new day! Also, I've heard from some people to not have a "pig out" day but my birthday is in a few weeks and that's the only day I'm going to take a break. I'm still going to record everything, but I think if I do very poorly it'll help keep future cravings at bay. My will power is typically pretty good, when it comes to eating, but my lack of working out is a huge flaw.

I think that about sums it up. :)
  • yummywater
    yummywater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention, I'll probably be weighing in on Sunday, if that's okay. Since I'm still a bit on the new side, I don't feel ready to say where I'd like to be. My weight has been fluctuating the past two-ish weeks.
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    Karen - I'm sorry to hear about Mellie. I hope the rash clears up soon.

Yummy - Trust me, I celebrate each time I see a smaller number on the scale. And, I didn't really see the point of mini-goals at first. It wasn't until about 6-8 weeks ago that I started breaking up my weight loss. (I started my weight loss journey back in January.) I was losing weight, but I decided the individual pounds lost started feeling insignificant when trying to chip away at the 110+ pounds I need to lose. I find the mini-goals keep me more motivated. They also make great opportunities to reward myself for all the hard work and discipline.

Check-in for Wednesday... 2127 burned / 1972 consumed / 155 deficit - Exercise = 0 :frown:

Ugh! Started TOM and sleep got all messed today, so I didn't make it to the gym. Probably would've been fine it I just hadn't eaten that piece of German chocolate cake. Oh well!

To the readers in the group - I just joined GoodReads with the same username - megruder. I'll try to find everyone from here, but if I miss someone feel free to add me there! Also, does anyone else read sci-fi?
  • TanyaDL
    TanyaDL Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello, my name is Tanya and I would like to join this 6 week challenge. I've been back in forth for 14 yrs trying to lose weight, and I know now is the time (I'm 30). I just started seriously losing weight on June 6th, first weigh in was June 3rd..of 268..so I feel like I'm on the right track. I would like to continue my weight loss journey with this challenge, and to see how my numbers decline each week to stay motivated and focused. Thank you for your consideration!!!!!

SW: 268
    CW: 257
    mini goal weight for July 29th 200+Fryin' the fat Challenge: 240
    1st GW: 170-185
    2nd GW: 160??? (Might be too small for my frame as the trainer at my gym says I have 139 lbs of lean body mass (muscle))
  • SteppingOutofGrey
    SteppingOutofGrey Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Still in the land of the living............................

xx
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Well, I heard back from my doctor about my X-Rays. I've got a "very large heel spur". It's funny how when I was in his office the other day, he kind of blew me off and told me to take Motrin and rest and it would be as good as new and now that he has my X-Rays he was all sympathetic to my pain. He even said that he was sorry because he's pretty sure the Motrin isn't going to help with the pain I "must be feeling". I told him I was in pain when I was in his office but now that he's got some kind of medical proof, NOW he agrees that I have pain. Sheesh. So, he's referring me to an orthopedic doctor at the German hospital. I'm glad to get the referral but it's such a pain to see the German docs because, although they tend to be very fluent in English, not all words (especially medically speaking) tend to translate in a way so that I understand what they're saying (or vice versa). Grumble grumble...I guess Insanity:Asylum will have to wait for a while yet.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Amy - good luck with the ortho doc. I'm impressed you can speak any German. I loved the dancing for joy story about the dog sitter.

Katie - your area of pain is around the L5/S1 nerve patterns. My gut says it's from your low back - your SI (sacral-illiac) joint is probably out of alingment. Can you try the elliptical barefoot to rule out shoe trouble? Losing weight, low back stretches and strengthening your core will help in the long run. A good physical therapist could tell what's wrong and teach you to self mobilize to correct the problem.

Karen - sorry about your house. Keeping my fingers crossed you find a better one.

Kristina - WTG on the runs.

Check-in for me 2225 burned Tues and 2218 burned Wed. 3 days of no exercise. I haven't been sleeping well and my body just needed a rest. If the rain stays away, I have a trail run planned with a friend tonight. Time to get up and do the work thing - at least there's only 1 more day until the weekend!!!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good moring all!

My internet connection went down yesterday and I about drove myself nuts because I couldn't log my food for the whole day. My hubby was sweet and drove me up to Mcdonald's after church so I could use their wifi. I think he just wanted to stop my twitching! lol

Karen- I hope your little one is doing better. My boys always had horrible diaper rash. They still have very sensitive skin. The only thing that worked for us was diaper cream mixed with Mylanta. I know it sounds crazy. If you can find "Butt Paste" it is basically the same thing.

Have a great day!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Amy- thats what I hate about going to the doctor. Sometimes I worry I have a slightly higher pain threshold than some so when I say that its mildly irritating, the doctor doesn't take it as serious. It sucks your doctor didn't "believe" you much the first time, but it sounds like he changed his tune once he realized how bad his bedside manners where. Hopefully he will learn not to be so dismissive next time.

Manda- I only "check in" my weight on mfp once a week, but I tend to weigh myself daily. Sometimes on Check In Day I weigh more than the day previous even though I was within calories and sodium and all that. It helps me not get discouraged if I see I'm the same (or more) than my last official weigh in. When I was doing P90X I did not weigh myself for a couple weeks because I knew my body was changing shape, but I wasn't focused on weight.

Victoria- I love having you and your knowledge here. We are the luckiest thread on the site to have a physical therapist in our group. :bigsmile:

Tanya- Welcome! Jump on in and tell us about yourself! Where do you live? Job? School? Kids? Relationship? Anything stressing you lately? We are definitely a chatty bunch of ladies.

My foot is bothering me again. *sigh* I guess I will have to have the cortizone shot next week. I was hoping it would heal on it's own.

I buy all my bras from Lane Bryant and they have a buy 2 get 2 free sale going on, plus I had a coupon for $25 off a $75 order (I have another coupon code I can give to someone if they want it for the same discount). Plus I got free shipping. I ended up spending $65 for 4 fabulous bras. Mr. Reunion was looking over my shoulder as I was ordering them all, so they won't be a surprise for him. He asked me what my "thing" was. For some women it's shoes, purses, jewelry.....for me, it's bras and panties. I told him its cause no matter how you are dressed on the outside (ie, tshirt and jeans), you can wear whatever you want underneath. I have some great earrings, but they are big and shiny and more for "going out" outfits....they don't go with jeans and tshirts and are way too flashy for work. But I sure can wear a super sexy bra and panty set underneath and it changes my whole attitude for the day.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the well wishes for Mellie's hiney! LOL! She finally didn't go in her sleep & woke up dry, so some healing happened overnight. Unfortunately, her hiney can't handle any type of paste or cream. Not sure why, but my middle one was the same way. My oldest...we could use anything, but yet he's the one we have to be careful what soap he uses or what laundry detergent we buy & takes a claratin every day, go figure! LOL!

Kendal-do their bra sizes seem pretty accurate? Nearest store to me is over an hour away, so online ordering would be nice! I find what I can at Fashion Bug here, but even then, choice is limited when you're "blessed" up top! I'm hoping the weight loss will put me down into a "normal" size bra, or at least a bigger size I can find at WalMart or something!

Amy-Dr's apparently are universally stupid! What you tell them means crap til you can "prove" it. I KNOW my thyroid is a contribution to my weight, as my grandmother, aunt, & 2 cousins (who I'm built JUST like) all have the same issue. BUT, it's hard to catch. It works...sometimes. So they do the blood work, nothing! So no, that's not it! (Super thin hair too...yeah, right). I hope it gets better! Thank goodness for Zumba! If you have an exercise ball & wanna work on abs...that one exercise I posted (that according to Lacey makes me glad I have a bean, as I know I'd fall off my ball too) is awesome! OUCH, but awesome! I'm up to 15 at a time!! (I started & barely could do 5)

Tammy-no internet stinks! Thank goodness for wifi! Hope it's fixed soon!!

Annette-yay, you're alive...take it you're busy, but glad you're around! :o)

Kristina-awesome runs!

OK, work needs to be done! Boss still out, as they got help up in Louisville last night with tornado sirens & such keeping them where they were late, so she's taking one more day! Nice, but gonna stink for keeping up with such a busy thread when she's back!
  • KendalBeee
    Options
    Karen- LB is the ONLY place I buy bras. High quality, super cute, keep the girls up and in place all day. Plus the ones I buy are kinda thick so when my headlights are on, no one can see. lol (that actually happens a lot for me since they turn on at any slight temperature change, not just when its cold) And yes, I'm absolutely comfortable buying without trying on at that store because the bras are always the right size.
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    Oh amy i hope they can help you out soon.. so sorry about the frustration with the doc >_< how irritating to have to go thru that... but i guess they do tend to have ppl coming in wanting pain meds, so they have to watch who they give them to. sad we all have to suffer for a few ppl's mistake!

Victoria, the trail run sounds like fun! i should try that, we have some trails in the state park down the road! :)

Tammy so sorry about the internet! i know how that is... if we dont have it around here it's like we're missing the refrigerator or something LOL! so sweet of your hubby to take you to McD's! :)

lol Kendal that's awesome! I never thought of it like that... I"m more of a comfort person when it comes to panties... i get all sorts of colorful cotton bikini waists and that's it, well and the occasional boy short panties too :) as for bras... whatever'll hold these two girls up LOL!!! I guess im a bag person.. I love bags... have a ton of them, and would have more if hubby hadnt made me get rid of some :/

karen, have you ever tried the butt paste? i have a friend whose little girl was the same way.. couldnt put a thing on her, but the butt paste was the only thing she could use :) ive only had 1 who has had any type of bad diaper rash. and nothing would help her. we tried it all... the doc said to just try and keep her dry as possible, he had even prescribed a couple things.... idk... hopefully she's outgrown it. she hasnt had one in a while. :)

beautiful day here today! hoping to go for a jog and then just relax the rest of the day. been having some stressful days. maybe i should break out a good motivational book or something. :) yesterday's food intake was horrible! but i guess i'll let that be my cheat day? i've heard some ppl take cheat days lol... i did still work out, so that was good... today i hope to get it back.... i was really wanting to lose 2 lbs this week... we'll see! weigh in is Saturday :)
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    i hope you all will be so proud! yesterday i ran my week 1 day 2 of c25k in POURING rain. any other time in my life i would have been like "oh it's raining i guess i can't run today," but yesterday i ran for 30 min even though i got soaking wet and thought i might ruin my ipod. YAY running :)
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    i also snuck a peek at the scale this morning. feeling good :)
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    missxlaur: WTG on your rainy run!

manda2j: I try to avoid cheat days as I tend to eat way too much and not exercise. But it sounds like you got your exercise in, so that's great!

Kendal: Loving your bra is super important. I only buy one style of bra from Victoria's Secret as they hold everything perfectly and are thick enough to hide headlights (which are very pronounced on me as I have nipple rings).

Karen: I forgot to post about your little one's diaper rash problem. Gabe was the same way when he was little and NO cream could help at all. So we gave him cool baths and added a cup of apple cider vinegar to the bath and then we let him air dry afterwards. After a couple of days, it did wonders to fix his angry, red (and sometimes bleeding) butt.

Tammy: No Internet drives me crazy!!!

Victoria: Yay for trail running! Did you get the Runner's World magazine devoted entirely to trail running? I'm reading it right now.

So, I heard back from my doctor this afternoon. He said that he wanted me to pick up a copy of my X-Rays and then run down to the insurance office so they can make me an appointment with a German Ortho doc. He said he put in an ASAP referral to get me in faster. So I drove the half hour to the clinic to talk to the insurance people. #1) Today is a German holiday and I didn't know about it so even if I could make an appointment, there wouldn't be anybody in the doctor's office today. #2) The insurance guy informed me that the ASAP referral simply means I can go to the ER and the insurance will cover it NOT that I will see the specialist my doc wants me to see any faster. #3) The insurance company just changed their policy on referrals so now they have to be sent to London for approval (before they just got approved locally) and so it will be 10 days before I can even ask them to make an appointment (assuming my referral gets approved). So I drove out there for no reason. I get to just deal with it until after I come back from Naples. I wonder if I can hike Vesuvius anyway. I'll be damned if I get out to see Mt. Vesuvius and don't hike up to the top of that bad boy!!!
  • KendalBeee
    Options
    I bought a bag of Kit Kats last night and put it in the freezer so I could allow myself a little chocolate every day but keep it controlled. Totally forgot about it this morning. UGH. I don't want to give in to the 420 cal Buddy Bar like I did yesterday.