Guys: Does hair length matter?

Options
1235»

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love my short hair, especially waking up, running some styling creme through it and being done. Being a Mother to two daughters, the older daughter was pretty upset when I came to school "looking like a boy". It's funny how media/society places such importance on women looking like women but not with short hair. It's true as far as cultures are concerned - we had muslim neighbours and the girls kept asking me why I wanted to be a boy.

Personally - it takes a strong women to pull off a short style. Maybe it's not the hair that men are not responding too, but the strength of character they are afraid of. Just a thought.:glasses:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not the hair that men are not responding too, but the strength of character they are afraid of. Just a thought.:glasses:

I think that's certainly a possibility. Long hair tends to soften the features and give an hair of vulnerability - like a natural veil for example. Shorter hair exposes the face completely and could be seen as a sign of dominance.

I think you look great with your short hair. You certainly have the right features to pull off that look.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    merci beaucoup!
  • myofibril
    Options
    merci beaucoup!

C'était mon plaisir.

Now, if you do deadlifts as well I may declare you the finest lady in all of MFP land ;)
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    245 is my 1RM :blushing:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    As far as a man "letting" a woman cut her hair, my basic belief is that if you're going to do anything that drastically alters your appearance, like going from long hair to really short hair or going from blonde to brunette, you owe it to your significant other to at least get his opinion. I'm not saying you need his permission; you're a grown woman. But to not even give him a chance to tell you what he thinks when you're planning to make a serious change in your appearance is just disrespectful, IMO.

To each his own, but I find is disrespectful for a guy to expect me to run it by him when I want to cut my hair. If he doesn't like it, he'll get over it. If he can't get over it, then I don't want to date a complete d*** who would judge me by my HAIR.

It's not judging you by your hair. It's being pissed that you would show such a complete disregard for his feelings about the way you look. Physical attraction is important in any relationship. People who say it isn't are lying, and just because you've already landed the guy doesn't mean he can never have an opinion about the way you look ever again. If your hair was long when you started dating and your husband/boyfriend prefers it that way, I absolutely think you should take that into consideration before chopping it all off. Likewise, he shouldn't go and shave his head or get a mohawk or a tattoo or a piercing without discussing it with you. It's not about getting permission to do it. Any man/woman who says "Do it and I'll leave you" is not worth keeping around. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be given fair warning and a chance to express their feelings before you do it, rather than you showing up one day looking totally different than the last time they saw you.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My husband didn't like it at all when I got my hair cut really short (boy short). He said I looked like a butch lesbian. Anything chin length or longer is fine.
  • myofibril
    Options

Holy crap...

smiley-love028.gif

Strong women are haaaawt. If you want a hand loading up the plates just come my way ;)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've known men who preferred short hair and men who preferred long, just like some prefer blondes and other brunettes. As with any physical attribute, there's a lot of variation in what is considered most attractive. I think what matters most is that you like and feel happy with your style, be confident about your choice. If I ever have a significant other he'll just have to deal with the fact that I have somewhat freaky hair by modern standards; I would definitely not cut my hair for a man.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options

Holy crap...

smiley-love028.gif

Strong women are haaaawt. If you want a hand loading up the plates just come my way ;)

LOL! I think I could manage the plates no worries, would be hard from across the pond!
  • myofibril
    Options

LOL! I think I could manage the plates no worries, would be hard from across the pond!

Pffffft, minor details (I was actually hoping you would help me out - I'm a bit of a klutz and always mange to drop them on foot. Even if they are on the other side of the room....)

I just have one final thing to say to you lady:

stay sexy ;)
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    :wink:
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband this question many times when I get tired of styling my long hair all the time. His vote is to keep the hair long and finds it sexier than short hair on women. But that is only one man's opinion. :)

My Husbando: Long Hair.

Two weeks after our first child, postpartum kicked in, so I cut 12 inches off & donated them to Locks Of Love. Then, it left my hair right above the shoulders. He was PISSED! hahaahaha. Like silent treatment pissed. Now I have it back to the original length, w/ long layers & framed around my face. He likey. It's long enough (about middle of my back) that our second child even uses it for climbing. Like I'm Rapunzel...? lol

p.s. I regulate his hair length too, haha, I like it kept shaped up, & a low fade. Equal grounds :wink: