People just aren't getting it.

Replies

• CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    100%
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    And if you would look at the REST of my days, they aren't like that. I eat crappy about once every 2 weeks. And I am burning nearly 1000 calories a day, on average.

SOME people have health issues that require different diets. The vast, vast, vast majority do NOT, they just want to get thin quick and don't care about the side effects to their body.

I saw 5 days in a row and then did not go back any further. What makes YOU an expert? I'd really like to know. Because the experts I know wouldn't tell people they are idiots for what they eat. Because it's not motivating at all. Are you a nutritionist? Are you a researcher who does studies on diet and exercise interventions? Are you a doctor? Just because you are thin and have muscles does not mean you are healthy or know anything about health. It means you can eat whatever you want, work out constantly, and not gain weight. That's it. Health is much more than that, and it doesn't sound like you get that.

Maybe do some more research, read about the ingredients in the food YOU are eating, and then come back and try and tell me that the things you eat (besides the McDonalds, Starbucks, and Red Robin), like processed pudding snacks and pretzels and protein shakes are good for you.

Start practicing what you preach and show me some actual evidence supporting your claims of health and nutrition, and then maybe I'll listen. Otherwise, you're no more of an expert than the rest of us.

First of all, I never claimed to be an expert.

Second of all, if you would bother to read what the EXPERTS in question say, they say the same thing.

Third of all, ignoring the fact that you are personally going through my diary consistently: I rarely eat out, I have veggies EVERY meal, I eat fruit several times a day, and I drink protein shakes as a supplement. I eat Non-fat puddings or Yogurt for my sweet snack, and sometimes I have pretzels, because I want chips but am choosing a healthier choice. I eat eggs and drink skim milk. I drink upwards of 1.25 gallons of water a day. Once in a while I will have a diet soda, if I don't have water. I also work out like crazy. Some days I cheat, yep. That's part of a sustainable diet - not totally cutting out the foods you love. How many days in the last 60 days have I eaten significantly over my calorie limit? 1.

My weight BEFORE all this - 222. My Blood pressure - dangerously high. I have a slight thyroid disorder, so my body tends to resist weight loss. My cholesterol - high for me age. My ability to run, go up stairs, or do any kind of active sport - almost non existent. I am not a naturally skinny person, as you seem to assume.

Now - I am healthier than almost anyone I know. I can run for hours. I can play tennis or soccer or go rock climbing for hours. My blood pressure is healthy. My cholesterol is down. My thyroid disorder is barely detectable. I no longer take any medications.

Fourth - I've done the research. I've spent hundreds of hours reading medical journals and also finding out research online of what is actually working. I'm in better shape than my nutritionist AND my Ex-personal trainer.

Go ahead and criticize my diet. Feel free to, because I like my pretzels occasionally and I supplement with protein. I never personally attacked anyone by name on here, and I feel like I am in pretty darn good shape.

It makes people angry to hear the truth. Sorry. My goal in life isn't to tell people it's ok. If what I said has motivated a single person on here to take some personal responsibility for their own health and LIFE, then its totally worth it.

**EDIT** Spelling fail. Fixed.
  • Avalonis
    Bob Harper promotes the "Smart Success Weight Loss Pill" and because of that fact- anything he says is crap in my opinion. It's all about the mighty $.

What she said.

Jillian seems to have it together though.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Bob Harper promotes the "Smart Success Weight Loss Pill" and because of that fact- anything he says is crap in my opinion. It's all about the mighty $.

What she said.

Jillian seems to have it together though.

I like Jillian a lot. Her FB page has a lot of good info on nutrition and exercise.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    If what I said has motivated a single person on here to take some personal responsibility for their own health and LIFE. Then its totally worth it.

But if how you said it alienated a single person, a person who will no longer post - no longer care about trying to do the right thing the right way, is it still totally worth it?
  • tricks30
    tricks30 Posts: 17
    PREACH!!!! LOVE IT!!!!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    If what I said has motivated a single person on here to take some personal responsibility for their own health and LIFE. Then its totally worth it.

But if how you said it alienated a single person, a person who will no longer post - no longer care about trying to do the right thing the right way, is it still totally worth it?

Jillian Michaels can be a total hard *kitten* and everyone loves her right? If someone stops this journey because of this post- they aren't in full ownership of their own actions and that is so sad.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Personally I found that low carb (not no carb but low carb for weight loss and moderate carb for weight management), moderate protein and high fat (healthy fats) along with eating as clean and unprocessed as possible has done wonders for me. Not only for fat loss (this was my goal) but overall digestive health. I get to exercise less and still get the same benefits from it because what I eat takes care of most of it. I no longer have to count calories or log my food or worry about overeating or undereating. I get to eat when I'm hungry. Knocking the carbs (all carbs except vegetables and some fruit and what carbs I get from nuts and seeds) out of my life was the best thing I have ever done for my body thus far in my life (I'm 40 years old).

I was eating unprocessed and as clean as I could before changing my eating lifestyle back at the beginning of May and lost 9.6lbs. Since May I have lost 6.8. My weight has leveled out since increasing my carbs to moderate.

But in my case study n=1.

My goal? Homeostasis.

To me a weight loss "diet" should be a way of eating that will last the rest of your life. The fad diets aren't sustainable at all - they can be great for getting to a specific goal on the scale but then what? You can't continue on 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life. Heck your body will only deal with it for so long before fighting back (by slowing down and exercise increase will only make the muscle loss worse).

You have to find a HEALTHY way of eating that you WANT to do forever.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Amen!
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    I agree with you there is no easy way .. the rules are simple.

Even when I successfully low carbed for years (which I lost over 100lbs about 8 years ago and did gain back 30 in the past 2 which is why i'm here). I could not sustain that way of eating for life - my choice. BUT.. when I look back I was working out and eating naturally (without calorie counting about 1700 calories average a day and 2-3 cups of greens and tons of natural fiber. ie., what was considered a fad diet here on this post was me eating pretty healthy.

I choose to eat healthier now (mostly), not because i'm just wanting to be perfect but more out of selfishness .. I get bigger portions when I eat better foods and i'm hungry LOL and admittedly, my body feels better too.

I guess what i'm saying is that yes.. to lose weight one must do the following: lower calories and be more active.

I just wanted to say we all make personal choices as to what we are willing to give up to meet this requirement. Like... someone with PCOS will need less carbs.. some have gluten issues.. some are vegetarian..

Hope that made some sense.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I just said this on another topic:

There are no shortcuts. Just change your diet and exercise.

- Eat a moderate calorie deficit.
    - Eat whole foods most of the time
    - Exercise (cardio and strength train) 3-4 times per week.

This will work for everyone with no negative side effects.

This is what it comes down to. I agree with you and the original poster 150%. I lean more towards strength training...but still get cardio in the form of intervals.

Well said guys.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member

Jillian Michaels can be a total hard *kitten* and everyone loves her right? If someone stops this journey because of this post- they aren't in full ownership of their own actions and that is so sad.

Two things:

1) Actually no, not everyone loves Jillian for that very reason. Also, quite a few that may enjoy watching her, or hearing her motivate others would not respond well to that style of instruction themselves. Different peoplez iz different :wink:

2) While I don't argue with you that it would be a sad situation if the OP caused someone to just give up on their journey, it's about as likely as someone on FDOTM (Fad Diet of the Month) seeing this post and saying, "Gee, he's right."

Quite a few people will be at a very low point in their life when they discover this site. Perhaps they've been on one of these diets, have started to see some results, are finally beginning to feel good about themselves. They come here to share. And the first thing they see is "RAWR YOUR DIET SUCKS!!1!!111!"

*edit* To be clear, I don't argue the message, just the method of delivery. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Hmm, I agree somewhat with the OP, but it really doesn't have to be hard work. The initial change can be difficult if you have really bad eating habits or have been sedentary for many years, as most life changes are. But eating healthy really isn't all that hard if you want to do it. Finding time to exercise enough to not have to diet is hard when you have desk job is pretty hard sometimes. I feel like I fight a constant battle with getting enough exercies and having enough free time to really enjoy life. Because a life of nothing but exercise and work is not living to me.

I imagine that for those with an eating disorder or who are very obese, appetite suppresants or a restrictive "fad" diet can probably sometimes be helpful. Yu are right that to maintain the loss, sooner or later you're going to have to just learn new long term habits, but I don't think that would necessarily mean that using some tool (hopefully with under a doctor's care) won't work in the short term.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    And if you would look at the REST of my days, they aren't like that. I eat crappy about once every 2 weeks. And I am burning nearly 1000 calories a day, on average.

SOME people have health issues that require different diets. The vast, vast, vast majority do NOT, they just want to get thin quick and don't care about the side effects to their body.

I saw 5 days in a row and then did not go back any further. What makes YOU an expert? I'd really like to know. Because the experts I know wouldn't tell people they are idiots for what they eat. Because it's not motivating at all. Are you a nutritionist? Are you a researcher who does studies on diet and exercise interventions? Are you a doctor? Just because you are thin and have muscles does not mean you are healthy or know anything about health. It means you can eat whatever you want, work out constantly, and not gain weight. That's it. Health is much more than that, and it doesn't sound like you get that.

Maybe do some more research, read about the ingredients in the food YOU are eating, and then come back and try and tell me that the things you eat (besides the McDonalds, Starbucks, and Red Robin), like processed pudding snacks and pretzels and protein shakes are good for you.

Start practicing what you preach and show me some actual evidence supporting your claims of health and nutrition, and then maybe I'll listen. Otherwise, you're no more of an expert than the rest of us.

I <3 this poster.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member

Two things:

1) Actually no, not everyone loves Jillian for that very reason. Also, quite a few that may enjoy watching her, or hearing her motivate others would not respond well to that style of instruction themselves. Different peoplez iz different :wink:

2) While I don't argue with you that it would be a sad situation if the OP caused someone to just give up on their journey, it's about as likely as someone on FDOTM (Fad Diet of the Month) seeing this post and saying, "Gee, he's right."

Quite a few people will be at a very low point in their life when they discover this site. Perhaps they've been on one of these diets, have started to see some results, are finally beginning to feel good about themselves. They come here to share. And the first thing they see is "RAWR YOUR DIET SUCKS!!1!!111!"

*edit* To be clear, I don't argue the message, just the method of delivery. :smile:
    I see your point, but if someone comes to that conclusion after the first thing they see is something they do not agree with, then they are just seeking justification for an unhealthy lifestyle they are already living. We all know that there is no one way to achieve whatever goals you have in regards to living healthy. Some people do fine with low carbs, some don't. Some are vegan, some are not. Some starve themselves, some eat everything in sight. Some people have to exercise, some don't or cannot. One thing is for sure thought....if you put out more than you take in, you will lose weight and vice versa because some people need to gain weight to be fit and healthy.
    I live by one simple philosophy: Do what is best for you. If you don't like the message, or it does not work for you, don't heed it. Find what fits your lifestyle and go with that. We are all here to support each other(generally speaking), as long as you let us know what you need from us. Right now, I need a shot of Parrot Bay and Pineapple juice...who's buying???
  • Avalonis

If someone is alienated enough that they quit dieting because of something that a nobody said on a forum, they weren't very dedicated to changing themselves in the first place.

The only people that will hear my message are the ones that WANT to change.

And for the record... Jillian is a hardass, and no one seems to hate on her. She pushes, calls people fat, and says the blatantly honest truth, and it gets results.

Yea, maybe I was a little too harsh saying "People are stupid." I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. The way I intended it to be read was

"What you're doing over and over and over and over leads me to believe that you lack the intelligence to realize that what you are doing is KILLING YOUR BODY or not working. If you would be so kind as to please reevaluate your dietary habits, perhaps you will see the results you are looking for. If you were to change said habits, I would reevaluate my stance on your intelligence level."

However, the way I word things is generally a little more blunt than that.

Please realize that this is not a personal attack on anyone. I don't want to make anyone feel bad. I want people to take the slap in the face of what they are doing, sit back and realize "Oh my god that's me! How can I do this better?"
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    so let me get this straight...
    you want me to actually "work" to lose weight? --- well who would've ever thought that! ;)

Great post and it's motivating, because this is how results happen.
    Dedication, hard work and willpower. things don't happen overnight. and like you've said and many others and I greatly believe in.
    It's a lifestyle change.

thumbs up.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member

P.S. Yes, this is toned down.

I would have liked to see that one. I am no where near my goal weight-loss but my mind IS :) I love that I clinch up @ the thought of eating certain foods I never thought I'd stop eating.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member

YES! You can't baby everyone, and you WILL always offend someone especially when you are telling the truth, because truth hurts, and in order to loose the weight, people need to "buck up" and stop feeling sorry for themselves. Occasionally we ALL have our bad days, but if everyday is your bad day, then that person needs to do some serious self-evaluation.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    My Chef is a chronic yo-yo dieter, it's hilarious and sad.
    They bought a Wii to "get in shape" He "can't have any carbs", he only eats twice a day, he had pancakes TWICE last week (on his "cheat" days, and flour is evil to him, but deep fried wings are ok on his diet as long as they're not dregged, lol.
    He has lost weight, but every couple of weeks he goes off his "diet" gains it back and starts again.