People just aren't getting it.

Options

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want diet

I do imagine you mean that you can still allow yourself small indulgences...you just cant eat ALL you want of anything you want, right?? :)

And I'd like to just add that I think the HCG "diet and/or suicide attempt" is just about the craziest nonsense I have ever heard. I can't believe anyone thinks that is a good Idea.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    nope... there's no magic bean to pop to magically change... no magic diet, no magic method...

eat right and get active... no way around it!

Part time isn't going to do it either... It's all or nothing... Step up to the plate and lets do it!!

You can't fix it if you don't change it...

Albert Einstein:
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

good post buddy!
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    Sorry I mixed that up!! but you know what i mean!! LOL

LOL
    Sorry, ignore me posting it a second time, I just realized how to use the quote function!
    I didn't want to assume... but I suspected it may have been a typo...
    Personally, weight lifiting is a pain in my butt but thats because it REALLY works my butt and the times I get into a rythm with it are the times the weight comes flying off me... I think it's because weight lifiting doesn't give you that cardio high...
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!!!!

~A
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Totally agree....except gastric bi-passes do seem to work.

Actually, they don't. I personally know 3 people that 3-6 years later are far heavier than when they had surgery! If they don't change how the eat, their stomach will actually stretch back out.

Theres good information out there about it. Google it and you should be able to find some.
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    I love this. My aunt has done this her whole life. She even got lap band surgery and didn't stick to it! wtf?! Now she's back to fad diets. So ridiculous.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    So you're telling me that the "all chocolate, all the time" diet probably won't work???:sad:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The only reason I even remotely get it is my place of employment. When I got hired on at the Dept of Public Health in the Nutrition Program I was all about the drive-thru. It wasn't until after I drank the organic, gluten free, fresh squeezed "kool aid" that I started to get it. My environment began to shape my food choices. The cube walls here are covered with fresh fruits and vegetables. Recipe cards and even cook books are in our break rooms.

If I worked somewhere else I would still be all about the drive thru and skinny fat. Hell I'm still skinny fat with some hella nasty Slim Fast in the cupboard because it was affordable. What I'm saying is people have to start somewhere, farmboy and farmboy band wagon. We all have to crawl before we walk. It is not very enlightened or educated for walkers to look back at crawlers and condemn them for not knowing how to walk yet. This journey called life is individual for a reason.

Lastly, discussion boards are for discussion. Period. Ones we may want to get involved with and ones we may not. Applaud the whiners and us stupid people for even being here. We won't stay stupid forever. I mean damn you didn't, did you?

This is a great, compassionate post. Thank you for it.

Yes, yes, yes.

As far as the whole "I did my own research, why can't other people?" thing...

If you can do it and you found something that is healthy and it works for you - that's wonderful. But there is SO much misleading information out there, it's hard to disseminate what really *is* healthy and useful. And when you're new the whole fitness thing - it's overwhelming. I would imagine that coming to a forum like this would be a little less daunting...until you're told to suck it up and do it yourself because that's what I did, anyway. :frown:
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    But I want to look like a super model now!!!!!!!!!!! And I do not want to work for it!!!!!!!!! I have ''one thing or another'' in 2 weeks and I need to lose 40 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not like vegetables !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to get off my couch!!!!!!!!! I have no time to exercice!!!!!! whine whine whine

LOL

I have lost 15 pounds in 7 months. does it suck, yep, did I wish it was faster? hell yea.....but at the end of the day, I am 15 pounds lighter then I was 7 months ago!!!!! I work hard at it. I deserve each and every freaking pounds on that ticker!!!!
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Truer words have never been spoken! Amen brother!
  • ToniAnn411
    ToniAnn411 Posts: 83
    Options
    Totally agree....except gastric bi-passes do seem to work.

Actually, they don't. I personally know 3 people that 3-6 years later are far heavier than when they had surgery! If they don't change how the eat, their stomach will actually stretch back out.

Theres good information out there about it. Google it and you should be able to find some.

But that's the point, you yhave to change your eating habits and exercise routine. If you don't then, no matter what surgery you have, you WILL gain it back. It's not a fix it, it's an aide.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Another thing that doesn't work is throwing blanket statements around. Some aspects of a couple of the things you listed are quite useful to those who know how to use them. I have very low carb days as part of my training plan.

Many of those fad diets are based on sound principles, but applied as if they can be used all the time, which is what doesn't work. Some people respond very well to a carb-controlled diet, and starving one's self can be great as a part of an intermittent fasting plan. Every now and then I starve myself for a day and I feel amazing afterward. And although I don't recomend it to the average person, I took a couple pills called an EC stack to help me stay on my cutting diet. I'd still be using them to cut if I was still training for looks alone, and they are great for a more advanced athlete.

I love playing devil's advocate. . .hell, I'm doing it right now, but simply saying something "doesn't work" doesn't help anybody. Establish why it doesn't work and you'll realize what parts of the fads (which are always oversimplified, which is why they seem so easy) you can actually use and what parts need tossing out.
    Oh, BLABLABLA..................................................................

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

winning.
    Did already! Maybe if you would read some of the post besides your own.

I hit reply before anyone else had replied. If you have a reaction to what I said (which means agreeing or disagreeing, and stating why you do) then please, let us hear it.
  • merew19
    merew19 Posts: 21
    Options
    Your so right, but I just can never figure out the right balance of foods to eat. I struggle with that part of my dieting the most. So can you just plan something out for me LOL :) kidding! I know it takes hard work and I was doing so great until I started having issues with a tooth that has been ongoing for over a week now - and I totally fell of the exercising bandwagon and since I'm not a 100% better - I just feel more lazy - and more hungry - it's awful.

Do you have any good meal plan suggestions OR suggestions to get by when your not feeling so great? I KNOW I felt so good when I was exercising regularly and I had a ton of energy it was so nice - but since I've been not feeling well and not exercising, now my motivation is down and I really need to push myself past my pain and do the exercise to get my energy back.

I agree with you 100% though I just need some push/motivation to get me going again and work past my ailments. HELP :)

I have a lady at work who uses food as her comfort and every time she's slightly stressed she's eating (hence the fact that she's overweight) it's kind of sad cause it's like a disease for her - yet she won't pick herself up and exercise at least to get her body moving.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The only reason I even remotely get it is my place of employment. When I got hired on at the Dept of Public Health in the Nutrition Program I was all about the drive-thru. It wasn't until after I drank the organic, gluten free, fresh squeezed "kool aid" that I started to get it. My environment began to shape my food choices. The cube walls here are covered with fresh fruits and vegetables. Recipe cards and even cook books are in our break rooms.

If I worked somewhere else I would still be all about the drive thru and skinny fat. Hell I'm still skinny fat with some hella nasty Slim Fast in the cupboard because it was affordable. What I'm saying is people have to start somewhere, farmboy and farmboy band wagon. We all have to crawl before we walk. It is not very enlightened or educated for walkers to look back at crawlers and condemn them for not knowing how to walk yet. This journey called life is individual for a reason.

Lastly, discussion boards are for discussion. Period. Ones we may want to get involved with and ones we may not. Applaud the whiners and us stupid people for even being here. We won't stay stupid forever. I mean damn you didn't, did you?

This is a really great post. Thank you.
  • dls06
    Options

This is a great, compassionate post. Thank you for it.

Yes, yes, yes.

As far as the whole "I did my own research, why can't other people?" thing...

If you can do it and you found something that is healthy and it works for you - that's wonderful. But there is SO much misleading information out there, it's hard to disseminate what really *is* healthy and useful. And when you're new the whole fitness thing - it's overwhelming. I would imagine that coming to a forum like this would be a little less daunting...until you're told to suck it up and do it yourself because that's what I did, anyway. :frown:

That is the point about research. No one is saying research fad diets. Research good food. Learn about food, all food, fresh healthy food. Find recipes, try different things. See what works for you. Don't depend on someone else to tell you how to eat. Make It your decision not someone who is trying to sell you a book or a line of diet foods.
  • merew19
    merew19 Posts: 21
    Options
    nope... there's no magic bean to pop to magically change... no magic diet, no magic method...

eat right and get active... no way around it!

Part time isn't going to do it either... It's all or nothing... Step up to the plate and lets do it!!

You can't fix it if you don't change it...

Albert Einstein:
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

good post buddy!

I just have to say WOW - you look like a whole new person - CONGRATS your a hottie!!! And you did so great that's awesome, makes me want to go home and work out now!!!
  • dls06
    Options
    Your so right, but I just can never figure out the right balance of foods to eat. I struggle with that part of my dieting the most. So can you just plan something out for me LOL :) kidding! I know it takes hard work and I was doing so great until I started having issues with a tooth that has been ongoing for over a week now - and I totally fell of the exercising bandwagon and since I'm not a 100% better - I just feel more lazy - and more hungry - it's awful.

Do you have any good meal plan suggestions OR suggestions to get by when your not feeling so great? I KNOW I felt so good when I was exercising regularly and I had a ton of energy it was so nice - but since I've been not feeling well and not exercising, now my motivation is down and I really need to push myself past my pain and do the exercise to get my energy back.

I agree with you 100% though I just need some push/motivation to get me going again and work past my ailments. HEL

I have a lady at work who uses food as her comfort and every time she's slightly stressed she's eating (hence the fact that she's overweight) it's kind of sad cause it's like a disease for her - yet she won't pick herself up and exercise at least to get her body moving.

It is just a puzzle. You have to make all the pieces fit and then you will see the whole picture. Then it will click. Just keep moving things around until it clicks.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Love it! So, so true!! :wink:
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The other post was good....maybe it was deleted because the title was "people are stupid"? Haha, but I agree =)
    [/quote]

hahaha people are stupid? that's great! I completely agree with this, wish I could've seen the other
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    For the record, the person that said "Do your own research" was not me.

I have NO problem giving anyone that wants it any tips or advice I have. In fact, I enjoy trying to help others get healthy! It makes me feel good when I can help others. I'm not saying I know everything, lord knows I still have a little fat I need to lose. But I look good with or without a shirt, and I feel good. I can run, and play, and do anything else I want to do.

That being said, don't get disappointed when I don't say "Oh take a pill 2x a day and you'll look like a god!"

It takes work. I'll encourage and help you as much as I can, but don't complain when using a fad diet or a pill or other BS methods that don't work.