Starting P90X!

Options

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm glad to see there is an P90X community here! One question I have is how do you log in your exercises?

I am trying to get back on the program after a three month hiatus. Sometimes life gets in the way of living.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Anderson! :flowerforyou:
    I very much hear you that life often gets in the way of living :laugh: Anyway, personally, I wear my HRM no matter what kind of exercise I do. Then I log all workouts, even the strength, under cardio. I enter the minutes and calories burned. HTH

I am about to start Kenpo X. Debated what to do after taking 2 days off. I ended up decided to skip Plyo this week, even though it's my best calorie burn, picked up Back and Bi last night, Kenpo this morning, then legs and back tomorrow. I'll just scoot everything over a day and not have a rest day Sunday.

Good workouts to everyone out there!
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you actually take the rest day? I usually walk and do abs on my rest day.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Kak: It depends on the week, for rest days. Some weeks I do have a total rest day-from working out. Other weeks, I fill in with a run or TJ video.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Do you actually take the rest day? I usually walk and do abs on my rest day.

I call it more of an active rest. I'm busy normally, and my idea of a rest day is sleeping in til 7AM. :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, I'm glad to see there is an P90X community here! One question I have is how do you log in your exercises?

I am trying to get back on the program after a three month hiatus. Sometimes life gets in the way of living.

I don't worry about logging my workouts as much here. I don't have a HRM (I'd like one, but then think I'd get way obsessive about it! :laugh: ) Just make sure you're fueling your body for your workouts! Push play and keep at it!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Good luck to all of you with P90X! I am in my 3rd week. I thought that I was in pretty good shape before starting it. It is intense! I love it! Tony does a great job mixing it up! I am 55 and hanging tough! LOL I have had to modify my pull ups due to a shoulder tear, but I am not giving in. Stay with it, do your best and forget the rest!

Jeffrey

Good for you!! You're almost to recovery week! I was the same way, I was a runner and thought I was in good shape before I started. Oh my goodness... I was soooo sore that first couple of weeks!!! Modifying is a great idea. And that's one of my fav Tonyisms... do your best and forget the rest!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello everyone! 5 mile run for me today. Ab RipperX on tap for later on! :wink:
  • csnook2
    Options
    Jeffery- I modify alot of the workouts due to necessity. I had spinal fusion surgery at the lumbar base 5 years ago, flexibility has been an issue, but it is getting better. The beauty of the programs, from my point, is that T.H. shows you the various ways to complete the exercises (normal, extreme, something in between). I really look at it and say "If I can do it....anybody can'. We're on our second round and LOVE the DNA removal. (sweat and fat!)

Glad to see more people getting healthy

Together, we can turn the rising tide!

Craig
  • taxieb
    Options
    Hi all!
    Just checking in :) I was a little sick, so I took one day off from X (yoga). I'm gonna do legs and back here in a few! Eeeesh! Wall squats! I'm glad your feeling better Teach :bigsmile:
  • kak1018
    Options
    I love the active rest idea, I have a pretty sedentary job so I go crazy without some form of fitness in my day.

I hope I don't get what's going around.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    I love the active rest idea, I have a pretty sedentary job so I go crazy without some form of fitness in my day.

I hope I don't get what's going around.

Wiping my keyboard with Clorox wipes :tongue:

Thanks for the warm thoughts, Taxi! I feel normal today, and it is WONDERFUL!:happy: :love:
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    I had my annual Christmas shopping and dinner date with 2 friends Friday night. I got home around 11:45 and my 13 yo DD and her friend were very chatty, so I visited with them until 1:00 a.m. I am too old for that!!!:noway:

So, I overslept and then hit the ground running with basketball, a swing choir performance, working at a silent auction, and a quick stop for a couple more gifts.

I considered skipping, but considering the lousy week I've had, I knew I couldn't. I just finished Legs and Back and AbRipperX. I am so glad I did!! Way better than being lazy :flowerforyou:
  • kak1018
    Options
    Way to go Teach! I find those days I want to skip the most rewarding. Tired, busy, just feeling blah then you muster up the energy to work out and feel great! That is when you know you have crossed over and made a lifestyle change. :bigsmile:

P90X'rs question, I have a friend who used to work out regularly but really hasn't done much of anything for over 6 months. He wants to start P90X, i told him to build up his cardio and strength training for a couple months before he starts that he would probably get discouraged jumping right in. Any thoughts on this?
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I really need to a heart rate monitor. I had to look for your info, its been a couple of days since I've been able to log in.

I took 10, 10 and 11 year old boys on a 5 mile hike Saturday. It was awesome!!!!! A little squishy in parts, but great to get back into the great outdoors. Now I'm really looking forward to our big hike in Feb. 12 - 16 miles and my pack usually weighs in at 35 lbs. Hence the workouts.

I was really amazed at the calories burned, but it was great because I had a Christmas party that night and still didn't max out my calories!
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Anderson: What a wonderful way to get in a workout! We are experiencing very cold temps and wind, so a hike outdoors wouldn't work, but it sounds great!!! Your hike in Feb. sounds challenging and exciting. I see your need for the strength workouts.

I have been terrible about logging my food this weekend: we've eaten out and Christmas parties. Yikes! I need to get back on the wagon tomorrow!
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Finally getting back into a rhythm. Up at my regular time and got in Chest and Back today. Plyo tomorrow!
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Good luck. I'm too busy with semester grades to even think about working out this Week! :sad:

But two weeks off after Friday should help, especially with all those Christmas cookies I have to make for my kids (at home)
  • csnook2
    Options
    HI Guys,

Got Chest/Back/ARX in yesterday, going to do TJ Cardio Party3 today on place of Plyo. This shuld be a little less brutal on my old guy knees, yet still allow for a great calorie burn!

Anderson- Your hike sounds like fun! When we lived in So. Cal, we'd spend all winter hiking the mountain trails behind our home. Not much in the summer, I don't like arguing with rattlesnakes!!!!

Craig
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Craig: Enjoy TJ Cardio Party 3; I love that one!

I did Plyo today. It isa tough one!! Best calorie burner after running for me.