Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Replies

• alexfaty
    alexfaty Posts: 61
    i have mine open, mainly because I look at other peoples to try and learn from what they are eating and to get some new ideas for recipes etc. If I find other peoples helpful I think I should I should return the trust and let them see mine.
    This site is great for support and a big part of the support for me is seeing what others are eating and knowing I am not the only one who isn't eating lots of nice things! In fact the idea of anyone looking at what I am eating helps to stop me eating too much junk! Except the current Fab lolly addiction! :blushing:
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Mine is open to my friends. I have yet to run accross and nasty people here and I am trying to avoid that. I do look at other people's only to get ideas. I would never say anything negative to somebody or even give an opinion unless they asked.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    i donno why either. it kinda makes me mad

Your diary is closed
    I agree! That drives me nuts!

as is yours
    Why is it the people that are all against closed diarys have closed diarys?
  • Mine is open for the pure fact that i don't care if people tell me i'm doing something wrong. I will welcome constructive comments, if i feel the advice would suit me and my lifestyle, and be grateful for the help, anyone just being rude or judemental will just be ignored.
    Im glad to say i've had no rude remarks made though :)
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    I didn't know you could open it till someone told me. If I do get one word about it, I'll close it. I've been a nurse for 18 years, I know nutrition. No privacy about it...I'm on hcg, laxed on the protocol, I''m loosing. I'm exercising...that's that. My diet is my diet.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I have my diary open and have since the beginning, but it's not your place or anyone else's to come on here and call people out who aren't comfortable with having their diaries open. It's really none of OUR business what people eat or don't eat. It's their business and their decision whether or not to share. The number of threads relating to this, is starting to get old. I feel it's an attack on those who don't open their diaries and it's uncalled for. I think people should be comfortable with sharing their diaries and I wish that everyone had their diaries open, but hey, you don't always get what you want. Threads like this are exactly the reason people DON'T open their diaries.... seems they are being judged just for not opening them, just imagine the judgement that would come if they did and heaven forbid they had Pizza or something... You see?

ETA: For those that come on the forums and ask for advice, is a different story. If they aren't going to open their diaries we can't truly help.. THAT does get frustrating.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

why do you assume it's fear?

and as far as i can tell, it's not just "part" of my diary that is my business, the entire way i choose to use this site is my business.
  • Crazyjoe11
    Crazyjoe11 Posts: 83
    I am not convinced that people are afraid - maybe they don't see it as a necessity. I know what I should be eating and what I shouldn't be eating, so don't feel the need to read anyone else's diary.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Mine is open because i choose to open it. Will close it is I want to anytime. Not afraid of what the hell anyone says about what I eat, especially if I did not ask you about it. Poeple like that reminds me of religious zealots who preach against pre-marital sex from the beds of their mistresses. And notice I have a special section for Grown up beverages...cause I'm a grown *kitten* man...lol.
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Mine isn't open because frankly, people are rude pr*cks about it and I don't want to hear their judgmental garbage. It's people's personal choice - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others - so get over it. Why do you care anyway? I mean really, if you weren't interested in being judgmental, there is no reason to be bothered by other people's need for privacy. It should be non-incidental to you.
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

Sorry....just my little rant.

I'm off my soapbox now and back in my corner. ; )
    Mine is open, but there are days that I dont log it because I know I was wrong that day, and I dont want to discourage anyone else.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    I can't speak for other people but I know I kept my diary closed for the longest time because I knew I was eating crap and was afraid of negative reactions. Accountability is key however I joined this site because obviously accountability was not my strong suit. A mfp friend questioned why I kept it closed and I said because I was afraid of the reactions I would get. Alot of people commented that they would support me so I opened it and its been open ever since. My profile is blocked however people on my friend list can see my diary. I also felt like since I looked at other people's diaries then they should be able to see mine. I believe that if you surround yourself with supportive people then you shouldn't be afraid to keep it open. If there are negative people out there who make inappropriate comments instead of helpful suggestions then they are feeling insecure with themselves and have nothing better to do than take it out on someone else. That's my two cents worth!
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    bc some *kitten* on the forums took it upon herself to criticize me when i didn't ask for her opinion. i found that i started to NOT log bc I was afraid some other dumb**** was going to do the same. so now i do it for me, and only me.
  • Personally, I keep mine open... not to help others, but to be held accountable. If you're a jerk... please tell me that I'm stupid for eating that burger rather than getting a salad. I've got no self discipline. "*kitten*", have at it!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Mine isn't closed because fear criticism - I just use it as a tool for myself so nobody needs to see it. If I need advice on what I am eating, I will happily open it, but I don't currently feel that is the case.

I'm surprised that people actually care about this.
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    I don't even know if mine is open or not but I dont mind if anyone looks but I eat bad but exercise so I lose weight still just slowly. I noticed others eat barely 1200 calories which makes my diary look terrible
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Why does it bother you?

I choose to keep mine private except to my friends. Most of my friends are like minded and don't tend to go nuts when I have a few cocktails, cause they do too. They don't start freaking out because I don't log my water, hell I am happy to get my food logged. Then there are the people that go insane when you don't log for a day or two, on the weekends I am busy if I get to it I get to it, I am still eating healthy so no worries...

and oh my goodness if you don't make your calories, eat processed food or turn left instead of right.

Some people can be quite rude if you don't do things their way.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    ok, well I thought mine was open. A month or so ago, I went into "Settings" and "Diary Settings" and changed it to public and saved. I click on my own name and it isn't there... hmmm perhaps some people think their diary is open like I did. Not sure how to fix it.
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    On that same note, why do some people keep their profile "friends only". It's kind of hard to find people who have similar goals or demographics if you can't read their profile. And some of them are on here preaching "open diary" when their own is closed. Just saying...

because I have heard some people on this site are awful, judgemental, mean, and nasty. People can get real ugly and talk real big when they are sitting behind a keyboard. I am here for support and because it is a great tool not for any drama.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    If all of you are self conscious about strangers on the boards making nasty comments, why don't you just make your diary available to friends only? That's what I do. I know my friends will give me great feedback. And honestly, if someone is negative and nasty, you don't want them as a friend anyway, do you?

And if you're not looking for tips, pointers and what not... what's the point?
This discussion has been closed.