Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

Sorry....just my little rant.

I'm off my soapbox now and back in my corner. ; )
    Mine is open, but there are days that I dont log it because I know I was wrong that day, and I dont want to discourage anyone else.
    No its not open.
  • dls06
    Options
    Mine was private by default, and I changed it after I realized

No it's not.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just opened it lol.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it boggles my mind that anyone would care what a complete stranger was eating. At a restaurant, do you go from table to table, asking everyone what they have ordered?

As has been said, if it is important to you, only have people on your friends list with open diaries. I just can't understand why it matters.
  • dls06
    Options
    Mine is open and I could care less what anyone thinks about what I eat. It's my diet, my life, I could care less what anyone else thinks if the only thing they are doing is being negative and not giving constructive criticism. .
    smiley-dance020.gif
    Nope it's not open.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    For those who would like to share it and it was set private by default

click on "Food" tab
    click on "Settings" tab
    and chose whether your want to keep open, just for friends, etc
  • hunny1978
    hunny1978 Posts: 16
    Options
    I was using this from an app on my android. there are no options to keep it open or closed. It's just there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine's open, but I don't think anyone is "afraid" to have it open. I think they just don't think it's anyone's business. And it's not.

Sharing it or not sharing it is a choice.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't closed because fear criticism - I just use it as a tool for myself so nobody needs to see it. If I need advice on what I am eating, I will happily open it, but I don't currently feel that is the case.

I'm surprised that people actually care about this.

^^ This

I've had mine open and had mine closed. For now, it's closed, because it's a tool I'm using for my own purposes. It has nothing to do with anyone else. There's nothing wrong with having an open diary, and there's nothing wrong with having a closed diary. It's a bit ridiculous that some people think others should feel obligated to keep their diary open or get mad/upset/irritated when people make the choice to keep it closed. We all have different personalities, different preferences, and at the end of the day each person has to do what works best for him/herself.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but I'm not afraid to open it, I just don't feel anyone on here has the right to be self-appointed food police. And every time we congratulate someone for going under their food goal, we are telling them it's okay not to eat right. MFP has a deficit built in so you'll lose weight without any exercise and if you don't eat the minimum of calories required, I personally don't think that is a good thing. I also make it a rule not to go into anyone's food diary because once again, I don't feel I am qualified or have the right to comment on their choices. We are here for our own reasons and even though I believe in mutual support from my MFP friends, I don't feel policing their diaries is supportive. Each to their own but it's not for me and I do think it's a bit unfair of anyone to assume that closed diaries = fear. :flowerforyou:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I was using this from an app on my android. there are no options to keep it open or closed. It's just there.

Logging into the website from your phone gives you all the same options as using a pc, I change settings on here all the time.

Have a great day!!!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i donno why either. it kinda makes me mad

Your diary is closed
    I agree! That drives me nuts!

as is yours
    Why is it the people that are all against closed diarys have closed diarys?
    Fear I LOVE YOU!!! Nuff said (.)

haha thats totally made me laugh. all i gotta say is i agree with fesse
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it boggles my mind that anyone would care what a complete stranger was eating. At a restaurant, do you go from table to table, asking everyone what they have ordered?

As has been said, if it is important to you, only have people on your friends list with open diaries. I just can't understand why it matters.
    Love your profile pic. Where was it taken? I have a soft spot for great apes, especially orangutans.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can;t see yours?
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

yeah for real! Here you are complaining about not getting to see other peoples diarys but yet we can't see yours. That makes no sense.
    Mine is viewable by my friends only & I suppose that's how yours is. I personally don't care if my friends view my diary, afterall they are my friends & what criticism they give me, I deserve & learn from it. But I don't have any desire to let my diary be viewable by the public. If you are interested in my diary, send me a friend request.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can;t see yours?

yeah for real! Here you are complaining about not getting to see other peoples diarys but yet we can't see yours. That makes no sense.
    Mine is viewable by my friends only & I suppose that's how yours is. I personally don't care if my friends view my diary, afterall they are my friends & what criticism they give me, I deserve & learn from it. But I don't have any desire to let my diary be viewable by the public. If you are interested in my diary, send me a friend request.

Sorry for the confusion....this is MY comment:

Yeah for real! Here you are complaining about not getting to see other peoples diarys but yet we can't see yours. That makes no sense.
    Mine is viewable by my friends only & I suppose that's how yours is. I personally don't care if my friends view my diary, afterall they are my friends & what criticism they give me, I deserve & learn from it. But I don't have any desire to let my diary be viewable by the public. If you are interested in my diary, send me a friend request
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Mine was originally open at the very start. But after an incident where a members entire food diary was posted in the forums by another member to stir up trouble I closed it.

There are far too many people who worry about what other people are doing instead of worrying about themselves.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Love your profile pic. Where was it taken? I have a soft spot for great apes, especially orangutans.

It was in Sarawak, Borneo. There is a wildlife rehabilitation centre there. The orangutans are free to come and go as they please but some of them still show up at mealtimes, especially when the jungle trees aren't fruiting. :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    It was in Sarawak, Borneo. There is a wildlife rehabilitation centre there. The orangutans are free to come and go as they please but some of them still show up at mealtimes, especially when the jungle trees aren't fruiting. :)
    Too cool. Thank you. :smile:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My two cents - if someone doesn't want a public diary or public anything so be it.

When I view the diaries of others it is to get food ideas not to make comments on what they are or are not eating. I found about Laughing Cow cheese this way. I wish I could find out about something that is high in protein that is NOT soy, tofu, chicken, turkey, beef or fish, but I digress.

I leave mine open in case someone can get an idea from my eating preferences, and because it keeps me accountable.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    @Mishy:
    I leave mine open in case someone can get an idea of my eating preferences, and because it keeps me accountable.
    Oh no it's not. It's closed.