Irritation at the Gym.....

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Amen!!!! So true! So right!

One lady got mad at me cause I asked her if I could use the machine she had been sitting on for 30+ minutes. I tried to work around it the whole time but finally got frustrated with her just sitting there and texting. :mad:

there's a guy at my gym who does this CONSTANTLY...and then he will do like 10 sets of reps...in between texting. He actually had the gall to tell me to "go on the other side, the same machine is over there" once when I very nicely waited 20 minutes for him to get done...well yes it is, but I have my routine that I'm doing and YOU are in my way if you're texting or chatting on the phone while sitting on the machine and NOT working out...what is really infuriating is this guy is totally fit...no idea how that happened...maybe in between phone calls? lol
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Other than the one about people hoarding machines which directly interferes with my workout, I couldn't care less what other people are doing at the gym.

This. Completely.

Some of the comments here are funny and I'm sure we've all seen someone/something at the gym that we judged...but...

Why do we feel the need to be so judgemental and make cracks about how people work out, and what people should and shouldn't wear? (other than in a public place indoors, yeah we oughta be wearing shirts and shoes for health reasons) This is why I was afraid to go to the gym when I was seriously overweight--I was afraid people would make these kinds of comments. I'm not tiny, I sweat BUCKETS, and my makeup runs because I go to the gym after work and don't take it off first...and maybe I have saggy b**bs because I'm 41 freakin years old and things aren't quite as perky as when I was in my 20s...
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve are the guys with HUGE arms and chests and are doing MASSIVE amounts of weights but their stomach is ENORMOUS. I just want to tell them that if they did a little cardio or quit eating Whoppers every day, they'd look far more proportional. Seriously, I'm not impressed with your GINORMOUS Bis and Tris when your gut looks like you're 17 months pregnant. Lose the gut!

Possibly power lifters who really don't care about being aesthetic.
  • christinamathes
    Options
    I MUST add, Because it is my FRIGGIN LEAST FAVORITE THING EVER

Is guys that have these HUGE upper bodies and then these Scrawney little tooth picks for legs... I mean COME ON! lets go for some balance, lifes about balance, so build some leg muscles before a strong gust of wind blows and you fall over like a tree.

And LADIES! Must we walk around the locker room completely naked? I mean honestly, Im a girl your a girl, but hey! Wrap up in a towel please. lol I don't know why it irritates me but it does.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

For the men when you are on the bench it is not cool to grunt scream or make crazy noises when your benching 100 pounds, 400 okay I can see that please keep that stuff to yourself.

Also hoarding machines is not cool if you want to use three machines to do your work you need to let other people work in especially if you are moving like you have all the time in the world.

If you sweat a lot please wipe down the machines nobody wants to jump in the pool after you clean that stuff up.

I understand that some people are just starting at the gym brand new please don’t try to act like you are doing something curling 5 pounds and breathing heavy once again your looking like a fool.

Please don’t come in the gym with your work clothes on and dropping mud all over the machines and the floor.

One last thing if you decide to your kids to the gym please don’t have them playing on the machines then get mad when somebody ask to work out on that machine. An when they get hurt don’t look for sympathy this goes for the females also.

Now to the Ladies

Ladies wearing spandex to the gym is awesome If it fits. Please buy clothes that fit if your spandex is riding up your stomach then it is too small this goes for the men also.

Please don’t not sit on a machine and then proceed to call somebody and stay on that machine. Then get mad when somebody ask you to get the get off the equipment.

Another thing if you decide to wear a Victoria Secret Bombshell bra and boy shorts and nothing else to the gym please don’t get made when I and the other guys stare at you. If you coming in looking like that then you’re going to have people stare. Also since you’re in that outfit and you decide to get on the hip abductor machine and have all your junk hanging out and I mean hanging out please don’t huff and puff when we point and stare and then tell others to come and look.

Also please don’t wear pounds and pounds of makeup and come to the gym and think you’re not going to sweat. if you don’t like sweat then working out may not be you’re thing running around like this is your country club is not cute.

All this has happen in the last two weeks. I know I am not perfect but I have to vent somewhere…rant done back to my happy go lucky self……

/Agreed!

Also, people making so much noise on the elliptical machines! Really? you need to grunt on the elliptical machine?

Also, I am tired of look at women walking around naked in the locker room. Really lady, I don't want to see your f^cking boobs or intimates, cover the hell up!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This does not irritate me I just find it funny..When someone sets the incline on the treadmill super high then hangs on,every trainer at my gym told me that it totally defeats the purpose of the incline

Thank you so much for editing this note, It was kinda bugging me all night, until I re-read it this morning.

I do use the treadmill and yes I do hold 80% of the time move at appx 2.5 speed on atleast 5-8 incline on but enough to get my heart rate up to where it needs to be for me and my trainer has no problem with that...as long as I sweat and the weight comes off were good.

I am very lucky to be using a gym at work - my only pet peeve is people not wiping down the machines, So I do it before and after - yuk!!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

For the men when you are on the bench it is not cool to grunt scream or make crazy noises when your benching 100 pounds, 400 okay I can see that please keep that stuff to yourself.

Also hoarding machines is not cool if you want to use three machines to do your work you need to let other people work in especially if you are moving like you have all the time in the world.

If you sweat a lot please wipe down the machines nobody wants to jump in the pool after you clean that stuff up.

I understand that some people are just starting at the gym brand new please don’t try to act like you are doing something curling 5 pounds and breathing heavy once again your looking like a fool.

Please don’t come in the gym with your work clothes on and dropping mud all over the machines and the floor.

One last thing if you decide to your kids to the gym please don’t have them playing on the machines then get mad when somebody ask to work out on that machine. An when they get hurt don’t look for sympathy this goes for the females also.

Now to the Ladies

Ladies wearing spandex to the gym is awesome If it fits. Please buy clothes that fit if your spandex is riding up your stomach then it is too small this goes for the men also.

Please don’t not sit on a machine and then proceed to call somebody and stay on that machine. Then get mad when somebody ask you to get the get off the equipment.

Another thing if you decide to wear a Victoria Secret Bombshell bra and boy shorts and nothing else to the gym please don’t get made when I and the other guys stare at you. If you coming in looking like that then you’re going to have people stare. Also since you’re in that outfit and you decide to get on the hip abductor machine and have all your junk hanging out and I mean hanging out please don’t huff and puff when we point and stare and then tell others to come and look.

Also please don’t wear pounds and pounds of makeup and come to the gym and think you’re not going to sweat. if you don’t like sweat then working out may not be you’re thing running around like this is your country club is not cute.

All this has happen in the last two weeks. I know I am not perfect but I have to vent somewhere…rant done back to my happy go lucky self……

/Agreed!

Also, people making so much noise on the elliptical machines! Really? you need to grunt on the elliptical machine?

Also, I am tired of look at women walking around naked in the locker room. Really lady, I don't want to see your f^cking boobs or intimates, cover the hell up!

When you're doing hill intervals, sometimes grunting is required.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This does not irritate me I just find it funny..When someone sets the incline on the treadmill super high then hangs on,every trainer at my gym told me that it totally defeats the purpose of the incline

OMG totally hate that too! One person "Well Im keeping my hands on the heart rate monitor" Guess what! You increase your heart eight and burn calories more efficiently if you let your arms move while youre walking! I just laugh and shake my head when I see it anymore (and at my gym, for some reason its the super inshape guy that are doing this!)
  • curlgirl_03
    Options
    What I can't stand (and this just happened to me recently) is when people not only grunt when on the macheines but loudly encourage themselves while on the treadmill. It was obvious this guy could barely breathe because he was running too fast but every 5 minutes it seemed he kept saying "thats it baby, keep it up!" or "oh yea thats it!" "You can do it!"

... Now he could've been talking to me (lol i doubt it though :blushing: ) but it was SO disturbing
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of it.

Would like to add - clear your treadmill when you get off. I was on one treadmill and the guy next to me got off. I noticed he didn't wipe the machine (gross) but I didn't notice he hadn't cleared it when he left. An older lady (my age) just like the rest of us trying to slim down and nowhere near the spandex stage - stepped on the tread and hit start. It started immediately at about a 4, she wasn't hanging on, and her feet went right out from under her.

In steps the hero! Some really buff guy that was paying more attention then anyone grabbed her before she hit the treadmill and lifted her off. It could have been really ugly if he hadn't stepped in.
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    OMG totally hate that too! One person "Well Im keeping my hands on the heart rate monitor" Guess what! You increase your heart eight and burn calories more efficiently if you let your arms move while youre walking! I just laugh and shake my head when I see it anymore (and at my gym, for some reason its the super inshape guy that are doing this!)

Who are you to judge?....Guess what!!! Your young and have alot to learn about people. think....
    For me, I don't KEEP my hands on the heart rate monitor, just to check my heart rate is where it has to be for me.... People that show up to so something better for themselves - atleast there there and not ashamed to work out ( Like me). I hope they shake their heads at you and your judgemental mind .

I am doing something right - worry about yourself.
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    I agree with all of it.

Would like to add - clear your treadmill when you get off. I was on one treadmill and the guy next to me got off. I noticed he didn't wipe the machine (gross) but I didn't notice he hadn't cleared it when he left. An older lady (my age) just like the rest of us trying to slim down and nowhere near the spandex stage - stepped on the tread and hit start. It started immediately at about a 4, she wasn't hanging on, and her feet went right out from under her.

In steps the hero! Some really buff guy that was paying more attention then anyone grabbed her before she hit the treadmill and lifted her off. It could have been really ugly if he hadn't stepped in.

That is so great the hero stepped in!!! It irks me to when people don't clear/clean the machines super rude... I have to wipe before and after, just to be sure. LOL!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

You see it on the stepmills too--the old fashioned ones that actually have stairs. People set the pace too fast for their ability and then support half their bodyweight on the rails or the monitor. Why not just slow it down a little and use all of your bodyweight?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    People take "ranting" threads way too seriously. No one is saying you're a horrible person if you hold onto the treadmill while walking or running, just that it's not AS EFFECTIVE as if you let go. If you and your trainer believe you are getting a good enough workout, then keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. But it is absolutely true that hands-free use of the treadmill is more effective, and there's nothing wrong with saying so on a public internet forum.

I would like to note, however, that I do think you're a horrible person if you bring your kids to the gym, let them hang all over the machines, and refuse to make them scram when someone else wants to use said machines. That is straight up horrible-person material. There's just no coming back from that.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options

Who are you to judge?....Guess what!!! Your young and have alot to learn about people. think....
    For me, I don't KEEP my hands on the heart rate monitor, just to check my heart rate is where it has to be for me.... People that show up to so something better for themselves - atleast there there and not ashamed to work out ( Like me). I hope they shake their heads at you and your judgemental mind .

I am doing something right - worry about yourself.

Last I checked I said at my gym its the super buff guys who tend to do it. There is nothing wrong with CHECKING your heart rate I do it to out of curiousity. There is something wrong if you are hanging on for dear life, you ARE going to injure yourself and/or negate the point of having the incline in the first place.

And this is a thread to vent things that irk us at the gym. Last I checked Im nowhere near my goal weight and havent done everything right at the gym. But if you dont want to hear youre doing something wrong dont click on a post like this. There are beginners, experts, body builders, and personal trainers on here that Im sure could correct me too, and it would be for the better of my weight loss and toning.

Everyone on here is technically being judgemental so dont attack me
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    On the odd occasion I have had someone on the machine next to me peer over to see what level I'm working out on, then they feel like they have to outdo me! It's quite annoying having some stranger looking at your machine every minute. I would like to be left alone to concentrate on what I'm doing and not feel like someone is wanting to compete throughout my workout!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    People take "ranting" threads way too seriously. No one is saying you're a horrible person if you hold onto the treadmill while walking or running, just that it's not AS EFFECTIVE as if you let go. If you and your trainer believe you are getting a good enough workout, then keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. But it is absolutely true that hands-free use of the treadmill is more effective, and there's nothing wrong with saying so on a public internet forum.

I would like to note, however, that I do think you're a horrible person if you bring your kids to the gym, let them hang all over the machines, and refuse to make them scram when someone else wants to use said machines. That is straight up horrible-person material. There's just no coming back from that.

Agreed and agreed! It still baffles me gyms allow that......
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    On the odd occasion I have had someone on the machine next to me peer over to see what level I'm working out on, then they feel like they have to outdo me! It's quite annoying having some stranger looking at your machine every minute. I would like to be left alone to concentrate on what I'm doing and not feel like someone is wanting to compete throughout my workout!

lol totally why I try to take the farthest treadmill or one where theres atleast an empty one on either side whenever I can
  • cobarlo14
    Options

I'll agree to disagree and take it from where it comes, said what I have to say.... There were other posts about it. Not going to go further on this.

Good luck to you all! You can do it!!!
  • catrinamclaugh
    Options
    OMG, that is gross, I mean you shaves their whoha, is a gym people not a day spa!! lol\