interesting Points regarding Diet Pop from my trainer

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the "chemical" thing. I have zero interest in putting chemicals into my body (or my children's bodies). That includes what's in cigarettes, drugs, and anything artifically colored or flavored or preserved. Does anyone know for sure what the effects of all these chemicals are on our health and our environment? Since no one can 100% guarantee me that they are absolutely safe, I can easily do without. If I want to take risks, I'll skydive.
    So what about imumazations,advil,cough medicne,lotion (cuz if it goes on the skin its in you) deoderant,make up,oh lets not forgett cell phones since they supposedly cause cancer now . Almost every thing we come in contact with now has chemicals in it.If you dont want to drink it fine,thats cool you're decision and all but really chemicals are every where and in everything

Immunizations are the law. I have no choice there. I take organic or all natural cough medicines and vitamins, no other meds whatsoever, all my lotions, soaps, toothpaste, shampoo, deoderant, etc. are organic and/or 100% natural. I am seriously against ingesting or absorbing chemicals. I also avoid plastics and even my household cleaners are green and natural (non-chemical). I don't just do it half-way. I rarely use a cell phone, although I do have one for emergencies. It is perfectly possible to live without all that crap in and on our bodies.

It is not possible to live without chemicals. Everything is chemicals. Literally everything.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the "chemical" thing. I have zero interest in putting chemicals into my body (or my children's bodies). That includes what's in cigarettes, drugs, and anything artifically colored or flavored or preserved. Does anyone know for sure what the effects of all these chemicals are on our health and our environment? Since no one can 100% guarantee me that they are absolutely safe, I can easily do without. If I want to take risks, I'll skydive.
    So what about imumazations,advil,cough medicne,lotion (cuz if it goes on the skin its in you) deoderant,make up,oh lets not forgett cell phones since they supposedly cause cancer now . Almost every thing we come in contact with now has chemicals in it.If you dont want to drink it fine,thats cool you're decision and all but really chemicals are every where and in everything

Immunizations are the law. I have no choice there. I take organic or all natural cough medicines and vitamins, no other meds whatsoever, all my lotions, soaps, toothpaste, shampoo, deoderant, etc. are organic and/or 100% natural. I am seriously against ingesting or absorbing chemicals. I also avoid plastics and even my household cleaners are green and natural (non-chemical). I don't just do it half-way. I rarely use a cell phone, although I do have one for emergencies. It is perfectly possible to live without all that crap in and on our bodies.

I think the confusion is about your terms. Anything with carbon or ionic bond is a chemical substance. Most things in the universe are mixtures of various chemically bonded substances. It is possible that your division is arbitrary based on whether or not something can be found in nature. We used to get insulin naturally, but it involved killing quite a few pigs. Now we are able to synthesize it with bacteria, and have saved the pigs, and quite a few people. I love organic food, but I am sketchy on where a healthy division lies between healthy and unhealthy 'chemicals.' Nature has quite a reputation for developing deadly substances, just ask a snake.

Nope. No carbon, or bonds of any kind--including ionic--are needed for something to be a "chemical substance." You're confusing "chemical substance" with "organic substance." No bonds in helium or neon, or any other noble gas, but they're chemicals none-the-less.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here's some other quick facts and links if you'd like to learn more:
    #1. Brand names of aspartame: NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, Equal-Measure, Amino-Sweet - check for these on your food and drink labels.
    #2. Aspartame is being linked to MS, Lupus and Parkinson's disease. I know a couple people that have MS through friends and family - they all have, or still do, drink diet pop. Here's a link to learn more. http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/aspartame-poison.html http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

I didn't see sweet n low in the list.... I have used it for about two yrs now in my coffee of a morning.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

#2. Aspartame is being linked to MS, Lupus and Parkinson's disease. I know a couple people that have MS through friends and family - they all have, or still do, drink diet pop. Here's a link to learn more. http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/aspartame-poison.html http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

This nonsense has already been debunked in this thread (several times).

You might want to try actually reading the thread before you post.

KTHXBYE
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Some M.D.'s told me that diet soda causes Metabolic syndrome (aka being fat)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Some M.D.'s told me that diet soda causes Metabolic syndrome (aka being fat)

M.D.'s are, by and large, ignorant when it comes to nutrition.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim.
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Because I have been interested in this subject but never actually looked it up.... this thread made my interest peak and I looked up published scientific articles (including but not limited to; Environmental Health Perspective, Science, and the British Medical Journal) about the health concerns involving aspartame. I, unfortunately, can not link to the articles because my access is through my university library sign in. The articles I have read do indeed confirm there are many health concerns related to the ingestion of aspartame. It is a carcinogenic substance, proven to double the amount of tumors created during the studies. Studies have also found it can cause depression, headaches, and possible nerve damage (I didn't find quite enough on this to solidify the data for nerve damage). There are counter articles claiming that the study's numbers are not high enough from the control group to declare aspartame to be carcinogenic, HOWEVER those articles were completely funded by the company that produces aspartame (real shocking there). I think people should be allowed to make their own health decisions, but I do wish more people would actually take the time to research the things they are putting into their bodies. I personally detest the taste of aspartame, but know many people who enjoy it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Due to a strong possibility of doucebaggery should this thread continue, will you all be kind enough to allow me to put it out of its misery?

thread_closed.gif

...I understand this will probably not take, but had to give it a shot...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    "Also, with the exception of aspartame, all of the sweeteners listed below cannot be broken down by the body. They pass through our systems without being digested so they provide no extra calories."

"As with anything, do not go overboard when you using artificial sweeteners."

Size Up Your Sweetener Options
    Don’t know which little packet to choose? Here’s a quick primer on the big three—plus the newcomers stevia and agave nectar. All of them are approved by the Food and Drug Administration, but they do vary in flavor and uses, so you may find you need to do a taste test of your own.

Saccharin
    Brands: Sweet’N Low and Sweet Twin
    Sweetness: 200 to 700 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Some people report a bitter aftertaste.
    Safety: First produced in 1879, saccharin is the oldest of the artificial sweeteners. In 1970, a study in rats found that the sugar substitute was associated with bladder tumor growth, resulting in an eat-at-your-own-risk warning on the pink package. Years later, however, the warning was revoked as more than 30 human studies reported no saccharin-tumor connection.
    How to cook with it: The Sweet’N Low brand sells packets as well as a bulk version for baking, a liquid formula, and a brown sugar blend. When baking, replace 1 cup of sugar with 24 packets, 2 tablespoons of saccharin liquid, or 1 cup of brown sugar saccharin.

Aspartame
    Brands: Equal, NutraSweet, Natra Taste
    Sweetness: 180 to 200 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: There’s no aftertaste associated with aspartame, though some say it has an unnatural flavor.
    Safety: Search the Web for aspartame’s side effects and you’ll find stories about its purported link to cancer, dementia, headaches, and depression. Most scientists (as well as the American Diabetes Association) maintain that the powder is a safe alternative to sugar for people with diabetes. One caveat: Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which can be harmful to people with the rare disease phenylketonuria and should be avoided by them.
    How to cook with it: High temperatures can diminish aspartame’s sweetness, so even though some brands (like Equal) sell bulk versions, most chefs avoid
    baking with them.

Sucralose
    Brand: Splenda
    Sweetness: 600 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Though some sugar purists say an aftertaste lingers, most sweetener fans maintain Splenda is the most natural tasting of all.
    Safety: Since Splenda is the newest artificial sweetener to hit the market, there are fewer long-term studies of it than of saccharin and aspartame. That said, the FDA says that Splenda is safe.
    How to cook with it: Splenda sells various baking products, including a granular version that measures cup for cup with sugar. If you use the half sugar blend or half brown sugar blend, replace a cup of sugar with a half cup of the blend.

Stevia
    Brands: Truvia, PureVia, SweetLeaf, Stevia in the Raw, Sun Crystals sugar-stevia blend
    Sweetness: 250 to 300 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Some people say the sweetener derived from the whole leaf of the stevia plant leaves behind a licorice taste. Brands that use a purified portion of the leaf known as rebaudioside A have less of an aftertaste.
    Safety: : Stevia has been used as a sweetener in Japan for years, but the FDA had previously banned its use because of reports of reproductive problems in lab animals. In late 2008, the FDA approved the purified part of the stevia leaf for American consumption. Look for that form—rebaudioside A—in the list of ingredients when purchasing stevia.
    How to cook with it: Each stevia brand recommends its own sugar-to-stevia ratio (so check your brand’s Web site), and some brands sell the sweetener in liquid or bulk form. A good start is to replace a cup of sugar with 24 packets of stevia.

Agave Nectar
    Brands: Wholesome Sweeteners, Madhava, and Volcanic Nectar, among others
    Sweetness: Somewhat sweeter than sugar, so use between a quarter and an eighth less agave nectar than if you were cooking with regular sugar.
    Taste: The lighter, golden version tastes syrupy while the darker, amber variety has a more intense honey flavor.
    Safety: Agave nectar isn’t carbohydrate or calorie free—it has the same amount of calories and carbs as sugar. But since it’s a food with a low glycemic index, the syrup won’t raise your blood glucose levels as much as sugar or honey do. Plus, it’s sweeter than sugar, so you’ll use less.
    How to cook with it: Sweetening with agave nectar is simple if you’re swirling it into coffee. Things get more complicated when you start baking with the syrup. To adjust a recipe, replace each cup of sugar with two-thirds to three-quarters cup of agave nectar, then reduce all other liquids in the recipe by a quarter. Lower your oven temperature by 25 degrees to prevent burning, and shorten the cooking time on cookies by 3 to 5 minutes and cakes by 7 to 10 minutes.

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/food-thought/size-your-sweetener-options?page=1

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/artificial-sweeteners/?keymatch=aspartame
  • Cndressing
    Cndressing Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you!!! This is what i have been trying to explain to some people for some time, but i didnt have the right way to do so!!! So thanks. Great email too.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I never liked diet sodas because they tasted gross until I tried Diet Dr. Pepper. Then, I got totally addicted!

I started drinking a can or two a day at minimum and soon discovered that it gave me bladder problems. Pain in my bladder, sometimes pain within, while/after peeing... like a UTI but it wasn't! I medicated for a UTI, but the meds tasted horrible so I dumped them in more Diet Dr Pepper, all of a sudden the symptoms worsened (I drank a TON Of diet dr pepper that day) and I realized what had happened.

Diet Dr. Pepper is sweetened with Aspartame, so was the Equal sweetener I was dumping in my coffee.

Now, I've cut it all out save for a little bit of splenda, now I'll probably just go buy stevia! "D It really screwed me up, within a few days of cutting it all out and drinking plenty of water I was doing fine :D
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It will probably give me cancer or kill me somehow, but I lost 50 pounds while drinking GALLONS of diet soda, and although I drink less of it now have not gained a pound back after eight years. So no, it's not only fat people who drink diet soda. I never claim it's good for me, but it's honestly the only vice I have. :P
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I hate when people get up on there soapbox and start preaching, especially when they're talking out of there *kitten*.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd certainly like to see the science behind this fear mongering.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Okay I quit drinking soda (diet and otherwise) months ago and really do feel a lot better off for it- but this statement is just ridiculous.
    Diet pop is manufactured by companies that want to make money, not help you lose weight. This is the first red flag.

So all the companies out there making/growing/raising/picking whatever it is you consider healthy are not in business to make a profit?
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I needed to hear this to help me with my struggle to get off of diet soda.
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer and Boot Camp Trainer each week sends out interesting emails each week and this is one i thought i might share with you guys.

Read carefully - This is something that could be hindering your weight loss success

It blows my mind when I go through a mall and I see loads of people walking around drinking diet pop, diet juice, or coffee and tea with artificial sweeteners - most of these people being overweight or obese. Diet pop is manufactured by companies that want to make money, not help you lose weight. This is the first red flag. The second red flag is the fact that artificial sweeteners were made in a scientific lab by people who configured a chemical substance to taste like sugar. That's disgusting when you actually think about it. Not only should these two facts be alarming alone, but why would you want to put something in your body that is fake, just to save a couple calories? Our bodies are supposed to be the temples that we live through. We need to feed ourselves quality food to influence good health and live with vitality.

Here's my take on diet drinks - they make you fat, and keep you fat. If you want to be healthy, you don't want to drink anything with artificial sweeteners. Especially aspartame!!!! Artificial sweeteners come with health risks, have addictive properties, and shut down our bodies natural ability to count calories. Our bodies don't understand how to metabolise things like aspartame, and actually sees artificial sweeteners as toxic. When we consume toxic things, our bodies go into a protection mode, making us store fat cells and water weight "to save us" from these foreign substances. We want to lose fat cells - not make them! Things like aspartame also turn off the satiation centre in your brain, making you crave more food later on, potentially causing you to reach for the wrong foods and over-eat. It can also diminish your serotonin levels, which are the feel-good chemicals you produce in your brain. When serotonin levels are down, you can feel sad, tired, *****y, hungry, and reaching for foods that quickly pick up your serotonin levels like white bread, cookies, chocolate, chips or more pop! Not something you want to do if you're trying to lose weight - it makes you crave the bad carbohydrates. This has personally happened to me. I used to be fully addicted to diet pop, and noticed I was putting on weight, feeling tired and not wanting to workout, kind of sad, constantly hungry, experiencing hormonal problems, and the weirdest thing - sometimes leaking a little bit of pee in my pants. Not cool!!!! I knew something was up, and that was the only major change I had done with my "diet", so I started to research and educate myself on it. Some of the things I learned were so alarming that I immediately stopped drinking diet pop, and even though I went through some withdrawal symptoms like headaches and cravings, I then soon lost weight, became energized, and stopped having little pee accidents. Yeah! This experience has made me very passionate about how bad artificial sweeteners are for you, so if you can learn anything from me, have it be this - don't drink diet pop!!!! Now, I don't even chew gum, and I always check food and drink labels for aspartame - like yogurts, and so-called healthy drinks. This is a choice I have made, and plan on sticking to, because it has made me feel loads better. After reading this, the choice is yours.

Here's some other quick facts and links if you'd like to learn more:
    #1. Brand names of aspartame: NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, Equal-Measure, Amino-Sweet - check for these on your food and drink labels.
    #3. Healthy sugar replacements: Natural honey, 100% pure maple syrup, coconut (palm) sugar, and stevia. Stevia is naturally carb free and made from a plant source. I buy the palm sugar at the bulk barn, and grab the stevia from the superstore. They both have properties to help you with blood sugar control, unlike most sugars that throw your blood sugar onto a rollercoaster ride and cause you to store fat.

I absolutely hate the idea of fake sugars to reduce calorie intake. To me, if you want something sweet and you aren't diabetic or there is not a medical reason you can't have sugar, you should really just suck it up and log the calories and have some real sugar. The damage it could potentially do to your body and your weightloss/getting healthy goal is SO not worth it to me!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Everything to do with food invariably has a warning or a scare attached to it. Whether it's the carcenagenic or otherwise harmful properties of artificial flavourings or colourings or bacterial or harmful properties of some natural foods like eggs.

Some prove to be true, some not.

My take on artificial sweeteners has no basis in fact, it's just how I feel. It's a chemical. The large scale consumption of it might have some impact that someone doesn't know about yet. So I avoid large quantities of it but don't fret if I have an odd can.

On the weightloss side I have a different view. Our bodies work on the signals they are given. Drink a "diet" drink and you are telling your body it is going to get sugar. When it doesn't actually get it, it tells you that you need to take on sugar, prompting a desire for food or more sugary drinks. It's probably entirely psychosomatic but it's logic makes sense to me.

I doubt that can be scientifically proven, ergo, I am way off the mark. Besides if it could be scientifically proven somebody would have done it by now and the soda companies and sweetener manufacturers would be feeling some pressure.
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always say, don’t drink or eat anything that says “Diet” on it, it will make you fat. Ever see a skinny person drinking diet pop? I rest my case. :smile:

Actually, most of the skinny people I know drink diet soda. I lost 135 lbs in high school drinking diet soda, and I kept the weight off for 8 years (while continuing to drink diet soda). And the reason you see fat people drinking it is not because it made them fat, but because they're trying to lose weight (and, sadly, often think that giving up sugary sodas is all they have to do to achieve that goal).

I've read the essays on the evils of diet sodas. I've also read the American Diabetes Association's, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists', and the CDC's positions on diet sodas. I'll take science over woo-woo pop-nutrition any day. I'm diabetic, I need to go for the factual stuff.

Ultimately, go with what's working for you. If diet sodas seem to make you crave more sweets or don't work for you in your weight loss scheme, then definitely ditch them. But there's no need to demonize them--they work for many of us.

Kris

Nicely put.

Not sure if you know that aspartame has been tested more than nearly any other substance to look for causal relationships to ailments and has NEVER been found to be a statistically significant factor in any of the studies. Its rubbish like this from "qualified" people that have no ability to scientifically critically analyse information that spreads fear and misunderstanding. There is a reason this artificial sweetener has been around for so long without getting banned by any regulatory body.

Eat it or don't eat it but check your facts back to primary sources - like scientific journals rather than dodgy gossipy sources - this includes most of the Internet - there are so many lies out there - find reliable sources people or you will spend all your time running around in circles with false information.

I use both stevia and equal - it works for me.