Complaints about U.S. fast food... Something needs to be don

Options

Replies

• shannon1776
    Options
    try popeyes:)

PS: To those who want to ban fast food: this is America. eat like a slob, or eat all veggies. I don't care. it is called freedom. I don't eat KFC's, it sucks. However, it is really intolerant for people to force their beliefs in food onto me. If you don't want KFC's for lunch, then don't turn into their parking lot.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Also, even fast food chains alter their recipes a bit to match the preferred tastes of the country it resides in. I'm not sure if in NY KFC's exactly the same as it is here (kind of sounds like it, but you never know, and comparatively that's another country), but it's prepared in the way the people who eat there like it.

It's just like how in India McD's actually serves veggie burgers and stuff. (I don't think they offer that here yet, but it's not as though I would know ...) They offer burgers with kelp on them in Japan, I believe.

It's regional, man.

It is regional. When I was in Hawaii McDonalds had spam eggs and rice for breakfast. When I was in Maine they had lobster rolls. They are all about pleasing the majority.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    In my opinion, what needs to be done is banish fast food altogether LOL
    Though I agree that fast food is, in general, disgusting, I don't think there should be any laws passed banning it. People are in charge of themselves and should be allowed to make their own decisions about what horrible "food" they put in their bodies. I do eat chik fil a pretty regularly, but I always get the chargrilled chicken sandwich and side salad with no dressing and sometimes theire ice dream for a treat. I also think smoking is foul but would never want it to be outlawed. Isn't being able to decide for ourselves one of the best things about being american?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Though I agree that fast food is, in general, disgusting, I don't think there should be any laws passed banning it. People are in charge of themselves and should be allowed to make their own decisions about what horrible "food" they put in their bodies. I do eat chik fil a pretty regularly, but I always get the chargrilled chicken sandwich and side salad with no dressing and sometimes theire ice dream for a treat. I also think smoking is foul but would never want it to be outlawed. Isn't being able to decide for ourselves one of the best things about being american?

while I agree with the fast food not being outlawed. I don't totally agree with the smoking, yes it is everyones right to smoke, BUT it is also my right to breathe clean air. When people smoke around me they are taking away my right. Plus second hand smoke is just as dangerous if not more. I cant even drive down the road sometimes without having to breathe it, because people in front of me are smoking and it floats back to me. Its irritating, No I don't think it should be banned either, I just wish people were more respectful, ESPECIALLY of their children, I had a friend who had to bag her clothes up in a trash bag and keep them in her car, so that she didn't smell like smoke for school because her parents refused to smoke outside.

I don't mean to start a debate, and I hope people don't take this personally, its just my thoughts.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    To try and bring some positive vibes back to this thread.

Helice - Next time you are visiting a foreign city/country - start a thread and ask the locals where are their good places to visit and eat.

I've seen these threads.
    "Hey I'm visiting <Enter city/country here> and wondering if there are any good places for <enter food item here>"
    They get tons of great replies, with great places to visit.
    You could still like burgers/fries/chicken burgers, but there are better places than KFC and McD's.

Regional differences.
    Previously when I traveled over the border from Canada to USA. I was amazed that McDonalds serves chicken for breakfast.
    What I found really funny though was at 11:00-11:30 (breakfast time is over). I could NOT order that chicken on a biscuit for lunch. :laugh:
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    what amazes me is the cost of fast food is cheaper than healthier food options.

I have to agree with people who have said, fast food is fast food. These chains make changes to their menus based on the countries that they are in. So you came to America and had a bad experience with fast food, well it's fast food. I hope you didn't expect to receive the same thing you get in your country. America isn't going to change their fast food based on 1 complaint. Surprisingly these chains are also offering "healthier" options compared to their burgers, fries..etc. So you didn't have enough time to sit at a restaurant and you think your only option was to get fast food...umm okay who's fault is it?

it was your choice to eat at those restuarants... so blame the fast food chains but don't take responsibility then call all of us who are writing here a bunch of whatevers.. just remember, you posted this on a forum... people are going to give their opinion, just like you did.
    if you can't handle it then i dont know what to tell you... sorry you had a bad experience at KFC and McDonalds.. WOW let me show you my shocked face.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So i just got back from my holiday in New York and i must say that the fast food there was AWFUL!!
    Especially McDonalds and KFC!!

The reason why im writing this post was that the KFC was so bad were scared it's going to go out of business,
    and if KFC has to shut in America its very likely to shut here too!
    And pretty much the only thing my fiance eats is KFC and i really dont want him to die of starvation!!

I do have to say though since testing the US fast food myself i now understand why people say that when you dont eat it for a while your body doesnt want it anymore....
    I didnt want to eat it at all, it was nasty...
    I tell you come over to England and try the fast food here and your body will love it so much its all you will ever be able to eat!!

So lets start with the first problem KFC...

In England my usual KFC is a "Chicken piece snackbox" / "Large Toasted Twister Meal", and i always have a side of "Large BBQ Beans".
    And my fiances usual is a "Large Fully Loaded Meal with Pepsi and BBQ Beans" - (Not towered).

But in the U.S. I decided to just get the same as Pete as it'd been a while since i'd had a fully loaded meal...
    We decided not to large... As our "large" is a "US regular", and a "US large" is so big we dont have it in this country...
    It was also called something different, instead of it being a "Fully Loaded Meal", it was a "Fillet Box Meal"...
    Which we knew was the same thing because a fully loaded meal is a fillet burger meal with extras...

So firstly im going to tell you the contents of a "Fully Loaded Meal" and what i was expecting to recieve....
    (Heres a link to its page ->>.. http://kfc.co.uk/our-food/box-meals/fully-loaded-box )
    (1) Fillet Burger
    (2) Fries
    (3) 1 piece of Kentucky fried chicken
    (4) Regular BBQ Beans

And here is what i got in the "Fillet Box Meal".
    (1) Mini Fillet Burger
    (2) Potato Wedgies
    (3) 3 pieces of small WATERED-DOWN im guessing southern fried chicken...
    (4) im guessing sweet and sour beans
    (5) A scone... / "Home-Style Biscuit"

So heres whats wrong with this picture.... The fact that it came with a mini fillet burger instead of a normal one wasnt really a problem... Infact the fact that it came with a scone wasnt really a problem... A little weird, but not a problem....
    It was that fact that firstly instead of fries i ended up with potato wedgies, instead of bbq beans i ended up with these ****ed up sweat and sour beans and it didnt even come with ****ing KENTUCKY FRIED chicken, it came with some watered down rip-off... Something that was so nasty i wouldnt feed to my dog.. (if i had one).

In this country the BBQ beans are so good you would literally eat throo someones hand to get to them, but in the US there wasnt even a point of making these bean type things.....
    Then the potato wedgies... IT was like wtf... why are KFC making potato wedgies it didnt make any sense at all...
    And then the chicken i was just appalled..
    I have such a KFC addiction, and this stuff was so bad that i nearlly started crying, it was just awful...
    And my fiance felt the same way, he vowed that we would get the person who did this to KFC and make them pay!!
    I mean what is KFC with out the Kentucky Fried Chicken..... Nothing thats what it is!! It might aswell of been called SFC!

And then the second problem is the US McDonalds...
    But there wasnt as much as a problem here... in fact the fries where pretty good....
    But in America they DONT sell "Mayo Chicken Burgers", which is my favourite thing from McDonalds which was very saddening...
    But that wasnt that bad... I love "Big Mac Meals"....
    So we ordered a Big Mac meal each... We ordered a Large by accident... So we ended up with a Super Sized meal lol..

But my complaint is that the Big Mac Burger DID NOT have any Big Mac sauce in it!!
    It just had this sludgy not very nice sauce in it...

So the next day we went to McDonalds again because the we wernt going ANYWHERE near a KFC in America again, and not knowing what to get because it all looked a little weird i got a "Southern Fried Chicken Meal" and Pete just got the fries because he didnt like the big mac either... And that was pretty nasty too to be honest.. And very plain i mean surely it is meant to have atleast 1 sauce in it....

So i say we need to do something about this!
    This ****ty food that i will never eat again, that people dont want to eat...
    That looks, smells and tastes nasty!!

We need to bin it all!
    We need to fire the ****ers that have done this to are food!!!
    Come to England, go to an English KFC, and an English McDonalds, and i promise you, you will never leave!!
    Real KFC is epic, not that **** that tastes like it has been watered down and makes you gag!
    And Big Mac Burgers are heavenly not sludge that is missing something!!

Because i tell you now i will never, ever step into a US Mcdonalds / KFC again, and im sure many people feel that same way as me!!

2 good things i want to mention though...

(1) In the US, Ben & Jerrys do a flavour of ice cream called "Chocolate Therapy". It is like the nicest thing i have ever eaten in my life, i pray that one day it will come to England, because its all that i will eat...
    And (2) The McDonalds US Rolo Mcflurry....
    In England a Mcflurry is 1 scoop of icecream and a tiny bit of whatever chocolate you chose sprinkled on it.... Whereas in the US its a massive like drink of icecream thick with mixed in Rolo's...
    Its like would you like some icecream with your Rolo....
    Very, very nice!
    Its what we ended up living off of!

Next time you're here, find a Chick-fil-a.

It kicks KFC's butt.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    I, like many others, find it hilarious that you went to NYC (arguably the restaurant capitol of the universe) and chose to eat at crappy restaurants that are prolific all over the world (Fail #1) and then post about said high caloric, nutritionally void meals on a fitness/diet website (Fail #2).
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    And before you talk about price, how's about this list for ya:

Gray's Papaya
    Absolutely any pizza place on the lower east side/Brooklyn
    Eataly
    Momofuku noodle bar
    Absolutely any chinese restaurant in Chinatown
    Katz's

GREAT. Now I'm hungry for ramen and a hot dog.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    And before you talk about price, how's about this list for ya:

Gray's Papaya
    Absolutely any pizza place on the lower east side/Brooklyn
    Eataly
    Momofuku noodle bar
    Absolutely any chinese restaurant in Chinatown
    Katz's

Going to NYC for the first time ever at the end of August. I'm not sure if I'm more stoked for the music festival I'm going to or the food.

Plus the fact it will be one week after my 21st birthday. In NYC. Three days after Vegas. Lol
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    oh, relax! It was a silly response to a ridiculous post! I never thought people would actually reply seriously to this...it's a rant about fast food on a healthy eating website!
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    Going to NYC for the first time ever at the end of August. I'm not sure if I'm more stoked for the music festival I'm going to or the food.

Plus the fact it will be one week after my 21st birthday. In NYC. Three days after Vegas. Lol

Make sure you visit the essentials- Arby's, Burger King, and Subway. Avoid McDonalds and KFC like the plague.

Also, if you need sightseeing places, there is a Seven-11 on the corner of 6th and lex, and a newsstand in Grand Central station that you should definitely check out.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Make sure you visit the essentials- Arby's, Burger King, and Subway. Avoid McDonalds and KFC like the plague.

Also, if you need sightseeing places, there is a Seven-11 on the corner of 6th and lex, and a newsstand in Grand Central station that you should definitely check out.

Word. I'll be there. Is there any place I can actually go to play marbles on the street, or is that just in the movies?

On a serious note, are you familiar with NYC at all? The festival is on Governors Island and I may get at you for possibly some food/lodging advice.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Best ramen = Totto Ramen long line but so worth it
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Arby's in NYC? you're kidding right? you're not from around here, are you?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My opinion is, if you want to be fat and unhealthy, go ahead and eat it. McDonald's only produces large and caloric entries because the public demands it. This is America, there shouldn't be any laws against free enterprise...you're free to eat it or not.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options

Arby's in NYC? you're kidding right? you're not from around here, are you?

jokeoveryourhead.jpg?t=1242080006
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Man, if this thread were about getting injections to lose weight or knocking healthy food alternatives or telling people that working out was stupid it would have been closed by now just by force of the OP. But if it's a bunch of people picking on someone else for what they've deemed a foolish food choice it gets to stay open. Nice, MFP.

I'm going to go poke fun at fat people for trying to lose weight.

RollingEyesSmiley5.gif

And to the above, MyNameIsNutz, I'm assuming—since you grouped it with other common restaurants—that your joke is that Arby's isn't worthwhile and is a bad restaurant (See: Simpsons, "Das Bus," Sherri & Terri quote). If so then I think the other poster's reply went over your head. But maybe you got it, I'm not going to be presumptuous over it, I'm just saying.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If I go to New York and have some fast food cravings, I will go to White Castle. At least then it will feel like I'm getting the East Coast experience. We don't have any White Castles in here in So Cal...
  • rjsheets
    rjsheets Posts: 10
    Options
    When I lived in Florida where there was a chick fil A, thats where I ate fast food. Here in Alaska I never eat fast food because there are no good fast food places. I did eat KFC but it was not good.