WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I was thinking of posting a thread for people around or near the age of 50 for help and support but then I found all of you. Is it okay if I join in with you? I'll be 50 in March and I'm enjoying my life and the journey toward my healthy lifestyle goals and would love a group to share with.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Barbie - so sorry for the loss of your beloved Halfa
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about Halfa ~ it's never easy to let a family pet go to rest. Take comfort in knowing you saved him and gave him the best years of his life and you will never forget how much he enriched yours. My heart is very sad for you...

Hugs,
    Deborah :flowerforyou:
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Welcome to our group, Magglett ~ I just returned here myself after a lengthy illness. It is so great to have a support group again and judging by the posts I've read the past few days, it's a great group of ladies!

Hugs,
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Michele, we always have the best intentions to eat a healthy diet when we're away from home. I'm the same way and have recently bought a thermal lunch bag to keep in the car when I'm out and about. The first time, it worked like a charm ~ I had a turkey sandwich, bottle of water, and a piece of fruit that I was able to enjoy between stops. Alas, I have since been forgetting to pack stuff before I go out! :ohwell:

Great work on being so active! I bought a club membership and also some Zumba DVDs just before I took ill. I'd sure like to try it but will have to wait until I'm stronger ~ my cardiologist is booking an appointment for some tests to see what my fitness capabilities are at present. Never thought I'd envy someone's exercise. :laugh:

Hugs,
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Gosh, I should have thought ahead and put all these messages into one ~ my excuse is that it's late and I just wasn't thinking (and I'm sticking with that story)!! :yawn:

Collycan, sending you strength vibes to get you through the next few days!!

Hugs,
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    sorry for your loss.We loss our beloved Gizmo this year,he was 18.
    take care
    jane
  • CatharinaC
    CatharinaC Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey All
    Well June was a slow start for me... I am reading and you all are amazing... I was a thin active person till I moved into office work and my July is starting off with a slow but sure footed start.. It is getting easier to do my 30 minutes. Now to stay on a healthy diet, and drink much more water... Ugh!!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

I've been missing for a week or so sorry, lots of posts to catch up on.

:brokenheart: Skimmed the last few and just wanted to say to how sorry I am for your loss Barbie, I am a bit worried about our cat, he's getting on in cat years and is on thyroid tablets, but he looks "old" now if you know what I mean. We are cherishing him while he's still with us.

I have a pre-op assessment on Friday, so I must remember to ask a few questions! I am trying not to think about 19th (keep it out of my mind) otherwise I get a bit panicky.

Everything else is fine here and hope all is well with you too Must dash - guess what - yes I am late for work, :laugh: I'd much rather stay with you guys but heyho I have to go.

Viv
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Barbie, the sorrow we feel at the loss of our fur children is so painful. I teared up just reading your post. My thoughts are with you.
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, :flowerforyou:

Been MIA for a while we have been busy going to the gym and to hubby's dr. appointments.
    The scales were good to me this morning and I am pleased that I am over halfway to my interim goal with about 10 more pounds to go before our cruise.
    :bigsmile:
    Barbie, my heart goes out to you, I am so sorry.:brokenheart:

Today we go to Fayetteville AR for my hair appt, and boy do I need it, roots are grown out and I really need a haircut.:noway: Meeting our niece and her husband for pizza later, there is a place in Fayetteville that has gluten free pizza..thinking I will eat half of a small pizza and a salad and save the rest for a treat another day, will hold calories down low for entire day to do this...I know I will be pushing my calories to the limit today, but will jump right back on track tomorrow and who knows maybe it will jumpstart my metabolism a little, well I can dream can't I. There are not many foods I would go off plan for but since being diagnosed with Celiac several years ago I can count on one hand how many times I have had the opportunity to eat pizza, so I am going to enjoy every bite.:drinker:
    Have a wonderful hump day everyone!:flowerforyou:
    xoSissy:heart:
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Morning, Sissy! Great work on getting closer to your goal. It takes a lot of strength and determination (and a bit of good luck) and I'm happy for you. Enjoy your pizza ~ I often save half a meal for my next lunch, that is unless I'm really enjoying it!

Hugs,
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Barbie, so sorry for your loss. Haifa sounds like he was a good cat and you gave him a good life.
  • luv2laf1
    luv2laf1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am just starting out. I am 55 and my goal is 155. I am currently 188. I have struggled losing and gaining and losing and gaining. I need to get on the train to consitent eating and exercise. I would like to join this group. I don't know how it all works. If anyone can direct me how to keep in touch with this blog, please let me know.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Barbie, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you adore your animals. It's hard when they go, but you gave him so many happy and well loved years.

DH went to visit his dad last night. He came back in great sorrow. There is no indication as yet when he will pass, but we are all hoping and praying that he will not linger too long. Even though his pain is being controlled, he is definitely a mere shadow - sad to see in such a vital person. Also, his second wife is nearly twenty years younger than him and they are totally devoted to one another. It will be extremely hard for her.

This morning I had my regular psychotherapy appointment - followed by a physiotherapy appointment. Honestly, one day I'm going to get confused with the two and probably feel much better afterwards!

I had a phone call from my cardiology department asking why I had missed my appointment there - well, on the card that I received from them, it says my next appointment isn't until next month. I scanned the card and attached it to an email which I then sent to the hospital - just so they would know that it isn't me in the wrong ..... this time. It's funny though, the last couple of nights I have heard my valve much more than previously. It's not really an issue - quite comforting really, as at least I know it's working! Plus, it's only just over three months since I had the surgery, so it may still be settling in.

Right, got to get moving. Going to pick my father up from a church outing to the Chelsea Physic Garden, then take him shopping before I go off to visit MIL in the nursing home. Could somebody please tell me how I used to find the time to work??

Love and hugs to you all.

Amanda x
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    PT did help..going again in an hour... did seem liked it helped, but still in alot of pain, and now my side/hip is hurting.. ???? Don't know.. could be from the way I am walking too.
    surgery for knee replacement is scheduled for aug 11. NOt looking forward to it, I am SCARED.... never had anything done to me except childbirth. Looks like I dropped another .3 oz ... seems my weight is steadily going down, probably from the pain pills and lack of appetite... I am forcing myself to eat.
    fourth grandchild this one a girl, we have 3 boys 7, 5, and 2 by our first daughter, this daughter .. our youngest will be her first child.. she is going to be 30..
    Scheduled the knee surgery until AFTER the birth... due Aug 8.. but who knows with the first child.
    Have a good afternoon.
    Natalie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!
    Welcome-luv21afl-not sure what your name is.
    Natalie,good luck with the surgery.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok.
    take care
    HUGS!
    jane
  • ritamerlot
    ritamerlot Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hugs, barbie.

pets hold a special place in our hearts.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi All…
    We had our Girls’ Night last night and the food and drinks were flowing. I did have a watermelon martini and it was a nice treat on such a warm night. Today I am drinking lots of water. I had to wait for the car people to come and take away our old Jetta. This week is the car saga week so lots of waiting and calling—not my favorite things. Dealing with this car was a little sad today..it was the last car my dad helped me buy so there were many sentimental feelings seeing it leave on the flatbed. The tow guy was great and said all the right things. I just feel sad. Tonight I start teaching the summer session of our yoga and we are doing Balancing the Boomers as a theme. We have oldies music to warm up the joints before we get into our yoga practice. It’s lots of fun.

Kackie and Annvey…Thank you for the encouragement.

Michele…What great exercise you are getting!

Barbiecat…I am so sorry about Haifa. He’s a beautiful cat… and think of the wonderful life he had with you and your family.

Sissy….good for you with your progress!
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    Chicka: welcome, welcome! We are happy to have you and most of us have faced what you are now. Regarding SLOW weight loss...that seems to be a common complaint around here too. I think that when you are used to exercising a lot anyway, which I was too, our bodies just adjust to the decreased calories. VERY frustrating, isn't it:grumble: I am far from the perfect example of what to do, BUT, the only way I seem to be able to get the scale to move is to do interval training, getting my heartrate up by adding in some jogging and mixing up what I do. I also seem to need to do more than one workout a day. Adding an evening bike ride or brisk walk on top of an earlier, interval-type training session AND managing the right foods and water, make the scale move. Now... I know what works for me, but I don't obviously do it in a consistent way or I would be at my goal by now. (I can stay on track for weeks but seem to fall off when life gets hectic with travel, houseguests or things like that. Then I gain back some of what I struggled to lose:noway: :noway: ). The women who have done the best here pick something that they can live with every day and LOG EVERYTHING EVERYDAY...so you are on your way and I am sure that you will have success. Hang in there:flowerforyou:

Amanda; You take care of yourself, ok? And i am thinking of your family & your FIL:heart:

Sally: You are doing great...be kind to yourself!

Everyone else...Take care and hope you're having a good day.

I leave SO early tomorrow morning to make my way out to MT for a while. Trying to close up house, move plants, etc. I am looking forward to the cool, mountain air. It is sticky, hot summertime here now. The good news is I am feeling better and have gotten my 4 fast miles done indoors today. Doesn't it feel good when you're done?:flowerforyou: See you soon, Kackie

I was out of town, or I would have responded earlier!
    Thank you Kackie for taking the time to write down what works for you. Adding another workout is very interesting, and I'm definitely gong to try that! I appreciate the kind welcome and the wealth of information and knowledge you ladies have to offer.

And Ann, thank you so much for taking the time to write down what works for you. I really appreciate it. I love my carbs, so I might have to cut back, and see how that goes. I only eat whole wheat or multi grain carbs, or brown rice, but it is still carbs. Drat! I am going to copy and paste your diet, and give it a try soon. Thank you so much!

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling well.

Mary Anne :flowerforyou: