WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Life is suddenly moving very fast :bigsmile: our house is in escrow and will probably close in about three weeks.:bigsmile: it took two days to get a response to the offer we made on the house we want to buy but now a deal has been made and will go into escrow on Monday :bigsmile: DH is very busy packing and keeps trying to pack things I need.:laugh: we have company coming tomorrow----the girls who groom the dogs, then they and their mom will stay for dinner. I'm making beef stew with a ton of vegetables, brown rice, salad, and homemade applesauce for dessert :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the house we're moving to has a small fenced yard for the dogs and a small deck for Jake to sit outside and watch the dogs in the yard......the house backs up on the neighborhood "green belt" so there will be a good place for me to walk the dogs first thing in the morning and a lot of private roads for me to take them on the morning neighborhood walk. We'll be about five miles from the dog park instead of a mile and a half but that will be no problem.:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: both of the small bedrooms are not carpeted so one of them will be designated the hobby room with room in the middle for "Barbie's dance floor":bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou: this is the weekend of the lavender festival and we went today and visited two of the farms and had lunch including lavender white chocolate ice cream bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile the last time I had ice cream was last year at the lavender festival.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Chiclet, I am so proud of you taking time for yourself and not letting your mother hold you hostage. I'm sure you are losing weight because of the added exercise......that makes all the difference.:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Deborah, how great that you found a solution to your sleep woes :bigsmile:

:drinker: Sissy, that pizza sounds delicious :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jane, your daughter has such a sparkly smile :bigsmile: sorry about your family's loss :sad:

:flowerforyou: Leslie, welcome, we're glad you are here :bigsmile: you are right about the support, joy, and love on this thread.

:flowerforyou: cathy, I know how your husband feels, surgery terrifies me.....I hope he can find a solution for his pain

we are having rain which is not good news for the lavender festival

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: wow, it's late, Bernie, the cat is sitting next to the computer trying to lure me into bed. the dogs are already there, but DH is out for the evening with a friend and I'm trying to stay up until he gets home :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • nwkarin
    nwkarin Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm new here - today is day 2, and I am so glad I discovered this thread! I'm only 47, but.....man alive, why is mother nature working against me? :)

I just read the first and last page of the thread, and already feel the love and support.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    welcome-nwkarin.This is a good group of women.I`m glad I found them too.
    For those who are suffering with health issues,I hope you get relief.
    Everyone have a great day.
    Cloudy,suppose to be 90+today.want to get some swimming in.
    Take care
    jane
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Well, last night was almost back to square one, no sleep, PAIN PAIN PAIN ... I decided yesterday afternoon to go to the pool and using noodles do some non weight bearing walking in the water.. boy was that a mistake... I was in pain all night.. took a second celebrex at 1 AM, didn't even cut it.
    I am scared out of my wits about this surgery, but I can't stand the pain anymore..
    Still trying to follow the diet... not hungry, forcing myself to eat.

HAS anyone had a knee replacement??

Natalie

Hey Natalie- So sorry to hear you are in pain. I haven't had any joint replacements (yet) but my grandma had a double knee replacement in her late 70's or early 80's. She said she wishes she didn't wait so long. She was not a complainer, but she almost lost her mobility. After rehab, she was very happy, and very "springy." I work in a hospital, and we do a lot of knees. It is the most popular surgery. You are probably in more pain now, than you will be after surgery, and lets not forget about the pain meds that will be available to you. :wink: You will be in an ice cuff thing in the hospital which will help with the swelling and the pain. It's normal to be nervous before a procedure, but think past that, and how good it will feel to walk again without pain. :flowerforyou:
    Mary Anne

Mary Anne,
    Thank you for your detailed response, I do apprecate all the input that I can get, I am scared SH*(&(*&(& about this whole thing.
    I am on celebrex 2x a day plus taking tylenol to top off the pain... (should have taken the prescription for vicodin)...
    The PAIN is unbearable at times... I must go forward and do this and I will be happier in the end.... the pain has to be less than what I am experiencing now.. can't find a place to sleep, a position that is not excruciating pain wise... my back hurts from walking funny...
    OH WELL< enough complaining, still on the 17 DD and maintaining what I have lost, nothing has come off in a few days, but that is ok.
    Have a good afternoon..
    Natalie
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello Everyone,

I have not been posting as much during the past week. I've been really busy with activities and work. I hope everyone is enjoying the summer. We are having a heatwave in the Chicago area, which explains why I was dripping with sweat during my workout.

I am on track with my fitness plan, but the weight is coming off very slowly. I am encouraged that I decided to work on returning to running. Due to leg pain, I was hesitant to try jogging, but the more I do so and complete leg exercises, the better my leg feels.

Have a great weekend.
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Happy Saturday All:

Hope you all are having a lovely day. Today was my weigh in day and I am up a bit but that's okay, I won't stress about it, I will just redouble my efforts next week.

Congrats to those of you that are down, good for you:drinker:

Ann and Leslie: I too am only 5' tall and I have about 32 more lbs to lose but originally I have lost 66 so far (a few years ago) and have kept it off so far. I am not doing so well of late but I think because of the stress at work but I have to stop letting the stress get to me and focus on losing again:smile:

Deborah: Thanks for the tips about the CPAP. I do know I should be using it because my sleep is horrible all the time because on top of apnea, I have restless leg, so my sleep is dreadful and I think that helps to make me gain/retain weight. My mask is the one that covers the mouth and nose both and like you, I am a side sleeper so I find it difficult. Both my DH and I are supposed to be on the machines and we are both not using them. We are making appointments to go for new sleep studies so we can then get new machines and then new masks. We saw the salesman who said we needed to do that to get new masks, so we will try a new mask and see if that makes a difference. But, we have to do a new study first:ohwell:

kdtann and nwkarin: Welcome. You will enjoy this site. There is a lot of wisdom and support to be found here:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am so glad you have found your new home. It sounds lovely with a nice yard and all. You should be so comfortable there:heart:

Jane: I hope you got to do your swimming. That is something I miss. I have no idea where there are any pools around here and anyway, I wouldn't go swimming in a public pool anyway, too much lose flesh, if you know what I mean:laugh:

Natalie: I hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:

Well, my Friends, I do hope all of you are well and I will talk to you later. It is so hot and humid today. DH and I wanted to go into Toronto to go downtown for a walkabout but it is just too plain hot.

Love, Cathy xx
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Cathy, when you do try a new mask, you may like the one that is just used to cover your nostrils. My neighbor has the same kind as you do and tells me it makes him feel uncomfortable and so claustrophobic that at times he has to rip it off his face and go downstairs, put on all the lights, and compose himself again ~ poor guy!

Please keep me posted on your new experiences, and if you should receive any additional tips could you pass them along?

Hugs,
    Deborah :flowerforyou:
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Scooting out to pull mega weeds while it is nice and not raining. Will check in later!

Hugs,
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new ladies!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie--I'm so glad about your house sale/buy. Congrats!

My son has been approved for a home loan and is now looking at properties in our area. He is looking mostly at foreclosures and it is so sad how many of them there are!

I have really slipped this past week when it comes to healthy eating. Why is it SO darned easy to fall back into the old, bad habits? I am refocusing and am getting back on track.

My mom has finished her rehab and is back home. She is doing quite well now.

Prayers and good thoughts for all of you!
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm new here. I just turned 50 in April. It kind of freaked me out. I need a lot of support to keep at this MFP and keep my health quest trend on the downward path (weightloss-wise that is.).

Today I achieved my first goal for July, which was to weigh in again. Of course, I'm up a few pounds which is discouraging, but I'll like this! I will!

My next goal will be a salad a day and drinking my water.

I will also exercise at least 20 minutes a day even if it's just getting out and taking a walk.

Finally, I'm going to find a way to lay out my physio exercises for a shoulder knee injury (fell last winter) so I can get those muscles built up to support the joints and stop letting pain get in the way of the exercises.

I look forward to being on this group and supporting/getting support to/from all of you!

xo
    Melody
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome Melody!!
    you can do this,1 day at a time.Little changes turn into daily routines.I`m her for you as well as the whole group.
    have a good one
    jane
  • Deborah1954
    Options
    Managed to get into the flower garden for an hour around noon. What a sight for sore eyes though, me all covered up in a long-sleeved shirt, and long pants tucked into old Ugg boots. :laugh: Then DH sprayed me with a ton of Deep Woods Off over my clothes.

So, there I am, sweating profusely as I bend over and pull my weeds. Mosquitoes swarming all around me and not one bite! Then I started feeling some sharp little stabs on my cheeks (and I don't mean the ones on my face), did an occasional swat and carried on. Once in the house, I threw all my clothes downstairs and took a look in the mirror. :noway: About 20 bright red circles swollen to the size of nickels. Called DH in from mowing lawn to show him just how bad it can be for me (and where he obviously missed spraying). :sad:

Took a quick bath and scrubbed any Deet residue from my body. :happy: Now I'm in for the day and starting lunch. Thanks for listening to me vent about these pesky critters. I know I must sound like a broken record, but it's like the twilight zone out there... :grumble:

Don't have time to check out all who posted today, but will have some time later today. Be well and play well!

Hugs,
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didn't know we could incorporate the glysemic index into our counts? I'm going to check it out! Thanks!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Just a quick HELLO, Dear Ladies,

I see we have some new members...welcome to you! This is a great place for help and encouragement. Good luck!

Barbie: I am so sorry for you loss;-(

I made it out to MT and have been busy getting the yard hear cleaned up after the winter. It is beautiful, sunny and just perfect temperature. DH and I just returned from a nice 3 mile hike. I am still a bit congested from my old, lingering cold so we didn't over do it. The altitude takes a little getting used to anyway!

Take care and have a nice weekend everyone:heart: Kackie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    barb - that is so very wonderful about the houses!!! I'm so excited for you, but I must admit, better you packing than me....lol Your new home sounds really really nice.

barb - I was thinking about you earlier. When you say you log your food before you eat it, do you log all your meals like the night before of that morning? Like do you log your dinner that morning? What do you do if you add it that morning and circumstances change so you have to have something else? How do you handle that? When I say "something else", I'm not referring to a different dessert, I'm referring to a completely different meal.

Welcome nwkarin and Melody!

Melody - sounds like you have some great goals set.

Kathy - best wishes for your son. A good friend of ours just bought a house that was in forclosure. Unfortunately, lots of people whose house goes into foreclosure don't take care of them and just wreck things. The people who owned her house before her must have put some sort of weed-killer on the plants because a few weeks after the closing, she's lost over 40 plants. There's no reason why that many would have died unless there was some kind of killer put on them before the closing.

Deborah - just reading about your reaction to those critters makes me shiver

Tonight for dinner I had sardines, squash, carrots, mixed veges, and corn on the cob. I was so very full that I didn't even touch the peach that I'd planned to have. What I really need to do is when I'm so stuffed, stop and put the rest in the refrig for snacking on later at night. I've already accounted for the calories. That lemon cheesecake really killed me. Actually, I had some things that I wanted to finish up. I'll take it to the gals at the bowling alley tomorrow. They're nice to me, they know that I want my water bottle filled and a pitcher of water - no ice. I know that the bowling alley doesn't make any money off me, but they are still so nice.

Say, I have all those organic peaches. They'll never last so I'm thinking that I'll freeze them. Does anyone have a good way of cutting them up? Any tips?

Boy, between the organic strawberries, corn on the cob, now the peaches, my freezer is going to be overloaded.....lol I wonder if you can freeze summer squash, anyone know? I've frozen spaghetti squash and it keeps its consistency quite well, but don't know about summer squashes.

Did an hour of yoga today, tomorrow I'll do some balance games on the Wii.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening!

Michele
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello everyone!

I just wanted to reiterate just how important you all are to me. You know since I have been on this site, my son has moved out, men have come and gone in my life, my mom has come in to my life and we have our own personal hell we deal with together, friends have come and gone, but all of you have been here through it all with me, completely non judgemental, entirely supportive. You have helped me through my ups and downs and I can honestly say that I would not be here at this stage in my weight loss / life style change if I didn't have you there by my side! There isn't a better group of ladies I have ever known in my ENTIRE life. I just wish I knew you all personally, with the exception of maybe one person....Michelle. I'm afraid if I hung out with you Michelle you would kill me off in one week wtih all the dancing and exercising you do! :noway: Although it would be tempting to eat all those yummy deserts you make. I may change my mind based on that alone!:laugh: Just kidding Michelle.:wink:

I was going to ask you Michelle about your movie pocketbook? Where did you get it? I have decided to go to more movies with a lady I have met here at the apartments. However I don't want to eat what they have to offer. I would love to bring my green tea and popcorn and any other good snacks with me, however the theater I go to won't allow me to bring food in. So I need a undercover bag or purse and yours sounds right up my alley. Could you let me know where you got it and can I order it online?

Natalie:flowerforyou: I am in the same boat as you, especially with my left knee. But I am not as bad as you. However, my ex-mother-in-law did have it done on bothe knees (not at the same time though). I heard she was in a lot of pain after surgery but as someone here mentioned they provide pain meds. She was on morphine after surgery while in the hospital. They made her start walking the next day or at least stand. The first knee took longer than normal to work like it should, but it was her own fault. She wasn't doing her exercises in physical therapy so it took longer. I figure in cases like yours that you will be highly motivated to get to work on your physical therapy and will accomplish it much faster. We are more driven to succeed in our endeavors so I am sure you will do better than her. She just had her second knee replacement recently and once again was on morphine, but she says she would do it in a blink of an eye all over again, to be out of the pain she was in before. I remember every night when she went to bed she would be up late at night just crying her eyes our and never being able to sleep from the pain. I felt so helpless with her. I would give her vicodin but it didn't really help her. My own knees are bad and vicodin does nothing for me, I have been using the liquid glucosamine someone here recommended and it seems to be helping but occasionally I still fall back on my ibuprophen. You will be fine and pain free. Don't worry about it. Remember what Roosevelt said, " All we have to fear is fear itself" I can't wait to hear how glad you are that you did this.!:bigsmile:

Barbie :flowerforyou: Your new house sounds perfect for you and the puppies. I wish we had a yard to let my little munchkins run arounf in. Plus a dog park near by, how cool is that? Lucky dogs!

Deborah:flowerforyou: I loved your description of the mosquitos from hell attacking you. Figures,the one place you weren't protected; , your bumm. I hope hubby gets in gear there and sprays for you. I wouldn't want to be in the twilight zone with you right now!

Well mom got her therapist she wanted and she came out on Friday, however she told me medicare may not aporove it if ourpatient states that she has reached her peak. And if that is case I am stuck here with no help[ ever again. Not going to happen . I refuse to be doing this bickering and fighting with her anynore. Now when she yells at me and accuses me of beug mean with her I just phase her out and smile and if it gets particularly intense I just do what I have too, ignore her and get my swimsut on head out for a workout to relieve the tension.

Today while walking the puppies I MADE her get up out of bed and in her wheel chair (power) and come with me. The whole time she cried and carried on about how she couldn't do it and didn't want to do it. And I just said "yeah yeah get dressed your going. As we all were walking I would meet people who have befreinded me and stop and talk to them briefly. She just rudely drove right by them (crying) and ignored them. i was so embarrassed by it. I got funny looks from people at what she did and she thought by doing this I would let her go back to the apartment. I didn't. I made her continue with the walking. This is why she says I am mean. Oh well:ohwell:

Tomorrw I am going to the movies. A friend and I are going to see, 'Bridesmaids". I've seen it already, but enjoyed it so much that I wanted to see it again. I am looking forward to going.

Well getting sleepy and I have to wake up early for the movies.

TTFN
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    Today has been a sad day. We had our 16 year old cat, Haifa, euthanized. Some of you remember his blood glucose problems at the beginning of 2010 and how we thought we’d lose him then. So he has been living on time we never expected and has had a great life. For a few weeks we have been pretending that nothing was wrong but we finally knew it was time and when the vet saw him, he agreed. We held Haifa’s paws as he drew his last breath purring all the time and now he is over the rainbow bridge with his cat brothers, Noah and Trouble, and his Golden Retriever sister, Shilo.

Haifa's picture is my avatar today.

We found Haifa abandoned at a rest stop about 100 miles from our house in 1995. We saved his life and gave him sixteen years with a loving family.

Barbie, I am so sorry for both of you. My prayers go out to you. Haifa did have a good long life in your care. May he rest in peace with his animal siblings.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to catch up on the posts. To all of you struggling with health and family events, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

To all the new ladies, welcome this is a very wonderful place to post.

To all my friends in here, I hope this next week will be a good one for you.

DD and I had a great day at the spa together yesterday. We were so tired we ended up eating pizza at Dion's instead of the nice place we were heading to. Dion's sign caught our eye and was much closer than where we were heading. lol

My hubby and son and their friends headed out and DD and I are left with no water and we can't get a delivery until Tuesday. I wish I could say this is the first time my hubby has left town without thinking, but it's not. The good side to all of this is that means we have to go swimming today, so we can take showers. We have a little water left in our holding tank, but it will be close to not run out before Tuesday morning.

Good thing I am still relaxed from the massage yesterday and not stressing about it too much. lol

Have a great Sunday,

Jeannie
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie, Just thought you would like to know of a forum that deals with all things to do with hip and knee replacements and this is the link
    http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/

My sister is in charge and she has assisted on numerous of these over the years and will answer all and any of your questions and worries that you may have. Her name is Josephine and I am sure she will be able to put your mind at ease.

Sorry but realise link doesn't work on here but just go to Bonesmart.
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,:flowerforyou:

It's been kind of a frantic week here for us. Intended to go to the gym yesterday after going to the visitation for our brother in law but instead decided to go to their home to visit. We even took our gym cothes with us in the car so we could change at the gym but just could not drag ourselves there. The funeral will be Monday and we will get back in the routine of going to the gym 3x's a week starting on Tuesday. I set tiny interim goals for myself and want to have lost another 3 pounds by my annual physical in August...I am one of those who hate when I have to have bloodwork because I am such a difficult stick but this time I really am looking forward to seeing the results of the way I have been eating since March, I am so hoping that my cholesterol will show a dramatic drop.

I also log my food for the whole day first thing each morning.. that is a little game I play with myself...if I have it logged in then I won't eat anything else. It works for me and I resist any temptations that way. The only time I eat differently is when we go to the gym I log in my calories burned at the gym on my iPhone on the way home and then can eat something extra at dinner.:drinker:

Our temperatures have been consistently in the 100's during the day, I am really not looking forward to being at the graveside service tomorrow about noon, it will be brutal. :explode:

When I had my knee joint replacement surgery 2 years ago I relied on the information and support that I got on Bonesmart, you can find answers to all your questions and as much support there as you find here...it's a really wonderful site. Many of the ladies I met there are still friends and we chat on facebook all the time.:flowerforyou:
    xoSissy:heart: