WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!All
    happy sun.
    I like your idea,Sissy about logging in for the day,I try to do that.I helps me stick to what I`m suppose to eat.
    We`re having a 90+ week here.
    A wedding reception for my girlfriends son tonite.
    Have a good one.
    jane
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Thank nyou all for your replies anbout my knee pain. Yesterday for some reason the pain was better, manageanble, and then I slept pretty good. This morning I woke up and I was in deep pain and took a celebrex at 6 am, but at 9 am was still in deep pain, got up, showered and iced the knee and the back (lower)...right side... I can't sleep other than on my left side (it's my right knee), and all night I remain on that side.. probably causing the pain in my back in the morning...
    The weight is still stable, small gain, small loss, nothing changed in about a week. Expect to lose when I have the TKR, as on pain meds, someone said you lose your appetite.
    I can't stand this pain, not looking forward to surgery (never had any before), but I can't live with this pain anymore..
    Natalie
  • janemartin02
    Options
    Natalie,sorry you are suffering so.The knee can be very painful,as I`m recovering from knee repair.
    Praying for you.
    jane
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Natalie, can you sleep on your back with a pillow beneath your knees? I have always been a side sleeper but after I had my knee replacement surgery I woke up in the hospital on my back attached to the continuous motion machine and had to learn to sleep that way for weeks. If I knew before the surgery that I would have to relearn how to sleep in a different position I would have practiced....It was several weeks before I was able to sleep on my side again, but it was wonderful when that happened.
    If I can give you one bit of advice it would be to listen to everything your physical therapist says even if it hurts and you don't want to, I actually referred to mine as a Physical Terrorist, do all your exercises everyday and ice, ice ,ice ...that is key to getting use back in your knee. I always made sure that I had taken a pain pill before the PT got to my house for therapy. My heart and hugs go out to you, I have been there not so long ago and know exactly how you feel right now. Because I was so scared before my surgery I went looking online for a support group and that is when I found Bonesmart...the girls on there talked me through every question and fear I had and were terrific afterwards too. xoSissy
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just found this board and am really glad that I did. My goals for July have been off since I am the only care taker of my grandson who had surgery on 7/1/11. I am really missing going to the gym 3 times a week but should be able to get there sometime this week (after his next dr appt). I set a goal of 1 hr at the gym 3 times a week. Exercise varies between bike, treadmill, elliptical, and three weight machines.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Natalie, can you sleep on your back with a pillow beneath your knees? I have always been a side sleeper but after I had my knee replacement surgery I woke up in the hospital on my back attached to the continuous motion machine and had to learn to sleep that way for weeks. If I knew before the surgery that I would have to relearn how to sleep in a different position I would have practiced....It was several weeks before I was able to sleep on my side again, but it was wonderful when that happened.
    If I can give you one bit of advice it would be to listen to everything your physical therapist says even if it hurts and you don't want to, I actually referred to mine as a Physical Terrorist, do all your exercises everyday and ice, ice ,ice ...that is key to getting use back in your knee. I always made sure that I had taken a pain pill before the PT got to my house for therapy. My heart and hugs go out to you, I have been there not so long ago and know exactly how you feel right now. Because I was so scared before my surgery I went looking online for a support group and that is when I found Bonesmart...the girls on there talked me through every question and fear I had and were terrific afterwards too. xoSissy

I did go to bonesmart, they are wonderful, very supportive. I have and still am reading everything on that website.
    How long ago did you have your knee done? Did you have a femoral block? Supposedly you don't get out of bed until the next day.
    I know that I will have to sleep on my back... used to be a back sleeper but not for a long time, been in too much pain from my knees to sleep on my back, so I sleep on my side, and now its just the left side, hurts to sleep on right side with other knee pressing down, I put pillow between knees, helps some, but my back kills in the morning.
    I am SO SCARED... never had nothing done, except childbirth...
    Natalie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :
    I just wanted to reiterate just how important you all are to me. You know since I have been on this site, my son has moved out, men have come and gone in my life, my mom has come in to my life and we have our own personal hell we deal with together, friends have come and gone, but all of you have been here through it all with me, completely non judgemental, entirely supportive. You have helped me through my ups and downs and I can honestly say that I would not be here at this stage in my weight loss / life style change if I didn't have you there by my side! There isn't a better group of ladies I have ever known in my ENTIRE life. I just wish I knew you all personally,

Chiclet, you said so much of how I feel about the women on this thread. Many days while I am walking I am thinking about something that one of you said, or planning what I will tell all of you. Even when I don't get a chance to post the messages that were in my head, I think of all of you. You all held my hand through scary times like when my husband went to the emergency room and spent two days in intensive care while on a trip in another state and through the illness and loss of my sweet cat, Haifa. You gave me good ideas for meals and exercise, cheered me on when times were tough, and celebrated with me as I lost weight.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: thank you all.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options

I also log my food for the whole day first thing each morning.. that is a little game I play with myself...if I have it logged in then I won't eat anything else. It works for me and I resist any temptations that way. The only time I eat differently is when we go to the gym I log in my calories burned at the gym on my iPhone on the way home and then can eat something extra at dinner.:drinker:

Thank you, Sissy, for explaining how and why you log your food ahead of time.

:bigsmile: Michelle, you asked about how I log my food ahead of time. When I first started on MFP, I planned my meals ahead of time and logged them onto MFP in the morning. As time went on and I was more familiar with calorie count and measurement I did more mental planning and sometimes didn't do the actual logging until later in the day. I know a lot about the exercise I do and stared eating my exercise calories after a few months, so I'd know which days would be bigger calorie days and how many calories I'd have to work with. sometimes I plan a 1400 calorie day and when I get home from an extra long walk and burning a bunch of calories, I'll add an extra snack ( something I'm familiar with).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this weekend will be a total detour from what I usually do, but even so I'm making sure to walk a lot and making a plan, even if it isn't logged with accurate calorie values. We had company for dinner and I made the food so I could keep track of the calories and the ingredients We had lunch on Friday and today at two different lavender farms and had ice cream (my once a year indulgence
    lavender ice cream
    Friday lavender white chocolate and today lavender lemon:bigsmile: ). Tonight we will have dinner with friends ( the ones who came here last night) and I may not be able to log calories accurately. When we had lunch at the lavender farms I read the menu ahead of time and made a decision so I wouldn't be standing in the middle of the food scene making up my mind.

:bigsmile: Natalie, two of my friends have had knee replacements and both of them say that it was a great decision. Good luck to you.:bigsmile:

:drinker: welcome to the new members, I hope you will become part of the family and let us get to know you better :bigsmile:
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    bumping to read

Hi Ladies!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    chicklet - I got my pocketbook at WalMart. It was marked down, probably because it isn't very fashionable. But it IS large. Oh, theatres say that they don't allow outside food and drinks. But if you put them in your pocketbook, what are they going to do? Search your pocketbook? I'd say go for it, take your own snacks. When the lights go down in the theater, no one will know the difference. The one and only time I don't use it is when we go to this one movie theatre where the movies are $2. They don't make their money on the movies, they make it on the concessions. Honestly, I usually wind up having something to fill me up before I go. I just feel sorry, I'm grateful that they show movies for $2. Admitted, they have usually been out quite a while. I highly doubt you can order it online. Just look in any store for a pocketbook that is large, has a zipper so no one can see what you have in the bag (someone can see if the bag is just snapped closed). You might want to check out their "discontinued" items. Hey, the end of summer is a good time. There are lots of beach bags that will be going on sale, they are usually quite large.

Sounds like you are taking good care of yourself. You know, one time Denise was REALLY giving us problems. I went to the Y and took a step class. Admitted, I stood in front of the room so I could run out to the bathroom to get sick if I needed to. But when I was done, I actually didn't feel like killing someone. However, Vince didn't work out, when I got home from the Y that day he told me that he'd gotten physically sick. I believe it, I know that I was on the verge of getting sick, too, and I truly believe that the exercise helped. I'm sure it's helping you.

Oh, I so badly wanted to see "Bridesmaids". It was showing so I waited until Jessica came down here because I knew that Vince would have no interest whatsoever in seeing it. Unfortunately, they changed the movies the day before she got here. Then, when we were in FL I was hoping it would be showing there so Lynette and I could go -- no luck.

Well, two days ago I just had some steel cut oats for dinner, and the Wii said I'd lost 2.5 pounds. Last night I had a big dinner (admitted, most of it was veges) and this a.m. the Wii says I gained. Maybe what I need to do is have a large lunch and a light dinner.

I just made Vince a chocolate cake. He's a BIG chocoholic. If he EVER knew that instead of all the oil that the cake calls for, I put in prune puree, he would never eat it. I remember once a long time ago I put an oil substitute in these brownies I'd made. Everyone thought they were the greatest. So I made them again, same mix only this time Denise saw me put the oil substitute into them. Suddenly no one would eat them. So now I've learned -- if I'm going to put prune puree in something, just do it when Vince isn't around. He'll never know the difference.

Have the lemon cheesecake to take to the bowling alley. Just waiting for the cake to be done then I'll go bowling some. I'm hoping to meet up with some people who can help me. I know one guy is a REAL good bowler. He substituted on our team once, and he got something like a 270. Me? I'm happy when I break 100. Perhaps he can give me some pointers. Don't want that lemon cheesecake in the house, better on their hips than mine, that's for sure...lol

Natalie - so sorry you are in such pain. Sending good vibes

Welcome comfortableme! I look forward to hearing more about your exercises. What do you do on the elliptical/treadmill/bike (is it an upright where you can stand?) and which machines do you use?

Bowled 5 games today. Each of the games I broke 100 in (but not by much). I did an hour on the Wii of the balance games today. Tomorrow I'll take the extremepump class.

barbie - thanks so much for your explanation of how you log your food (you, too, Sissy). If we're going out to eat, I do try to peruse the menu before I go. Like a while ago this gal who was on the Newcomers bowling league wanted to go to a bbq place for dinner. I'm not much for bbq but by going there I found out that if I special ordered it, they would grill me some chicken to put on my salad.

Today I just don't feel like eating a whole lot. My sinuses are acting up so I took a decongestant. That ALWAYS dries me out. I know what the drill is, first I'll get cold, then hot, I'll have trouble falling asleep, I don't feel like eating but want to drink. Well...it could be worse. This doesn't happen often to me since we moved to NC, but occasionally it does.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I had a wild food day today. Went off planning as you can see by my diary and ate out for all three meals with crappy choices. We had a little birthday celebration for my neighbor tonight at a little cheese/wine bar she loves tonight and that was a killer on top of a rough day. I love coming here. I regrouped...loved reading about entering into the log early in the day....I need to do that now. I made a plan to be at the gym early tomorrow morning. I think I am going to do that every gym day this week to make sure I get there before the heat of the day gets to me.

Thank you for your entries....you all helped me get back on track tonight!
  • janemartin02
    Options
    HI!I`m proud of myself.I have difficulty when it comes to going to affairs.Had a wedding reception tonite.
    Planned what I was gonna eat.I told myself no cake.Well got there ,there was a whole table of homemade Italian cookies.I was so proud of myself,didn`t touch 1,because 1 would have led to 2,3 +.I drank my ice water and was content.
    For me this is a huge moment and wanted to share with you all.
    have a great night to wonderful ladies.
    jane
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Prune puree? I've heard of prune juice but I don't think I have seen puree? I have heard of substituting applesauce for the oil, but never prune puree. Does it change the flavor at all? You use it in chocolate mixes only (cakes and brownies)? Are the calories a significant drop by using this instead of oil?

Where is it that you visit the Lavendar fields? Is it a certain time of the year? I hope it is in California. I would love to try the ice creams. I think I was watching the movie "It's Complicated" and Merle Streep owned a shop where she sold sweets and other things and she also made lavendar ice cream. I have been wondering about that ever since. I think hers was honey lavendar ice cream. She supposedly lived in Santa Barbara in the movie.

Well I had a nice day today. I went and saw the movie (Bridesmaids) again and laughed just as hard as the first time I saw it. My friend I went with loved it and was cracking up through the whole thing. We then went to lunch but didn't like their dessets so we drove over to Marie Calendars and had pie. I know this was a bad food choice but you know, I really wanted to have a nice day so I just treated myself to it. We came home at noon right before we went to lunch so I could change mom, feed her lunch and walk the puppies. My friend walked her puppy and then we had the rest of the day to have lunch and shop. It was nice to get away.

Well we are gong to have triple digits tomorrow so I am not planning anything major and will just stay in with the air conditioning on. Although I probably will go swimming. I looked up some exercises online that I could do in the pool. So I am planning on changing up things a little. My arms are feeling a little firner. Hope I can get them in better shape.

Have a nice week everyone!:flowerforyou:
    Chiclet
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Dear Ladies,

Jane: WTG! Doesn't it feel wonderful when you walk away from something tempting? Pat yourself on the back, girl!

Barbie: Congratulations on selling and buying a house and getting things sorted and packed. It's a huge job but it sounds like you are on top of everything. It also sounds like you are going to have a wonderful new space to call home:happy:

I am driving down the mountain today to get more shrubs, stock up on food and run other errands. Things are very pricey on the mountain. I like to support the local stores but sometimes when I have a huge list I just have to go to "town". Another beautiful day here. Take care, everyone. I am so glad that you are all here:heart::heart: :heart: Kackie
  • kathy50nye
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I have never done this before, so please let me know if I need to do something differently. :)
    I am just really starting this and need to loose a lot of weight, but need a lot of motivation right now.
    I loved reading your post.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day,
    K :wink:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning! Today I am going to post every meal and walk on the treadmill for at least 10 minutes. That doesn't seem like alot, but sometimes my knee won't take any more. Two years ago my kids and I were racing on our bikes, I stood up to pedal harder and something popped in my knee. It has been a problem since. Two day ago though, my husband and I were riding bikes and when I started to pedal, something popped again and I think it undid whatever I did to it two years ago! I'm taking it slow until the muscles get strengthened again. Cool huh?:bigsmile: Hope you all have a wonderful, focused day!:flowerforyou:
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone! Just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone and hope that we all have a great week. My first week (last week) was a good one. I'm happy that I lost 2 lbs! Gives me the motivation to keep on going. I am steadily logging everything I put in my mouth!

Keep up the great work and excellent support everyone! I may not always have a chance to comment on all the posts, but I do read them. (There's this little thing I call WORK that gets in my way during the day, LOL!!)

Carpe' Diem! Seize the Day! :happy:
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm Haven't really been setting goals. Maybe that's the reason for slow progress. Could use some help getting started - or getting "real". Thanks.
  • annvey
    annvey Posts: 30
    Options
    @debbiedoo: That's awesome! :smile:
  • annvey
    annvey Posts: 30
    Options
    @kathy50nye: Welcome! One day at a time. What helps me is tracking my food every day, every meal, every snack. Tracking my exercise motivates me because it shows me how many calories I've burned and that I can eat more!! I never seem to go over or even reach my calorie goal. I have MFP app on my phone too. So when I am out I can still track my food. I don't wait until the end of the day because I can never remember exactly what I ate or how much water I drank. Good luck on your journey.

Ann