Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-July 2011

Options

Replies

• Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey all and welcome new peeps!

A girl! How fun!

Prego pics - I may end up doing them even if I just have a friend (I have several amatuer photog friends) do them. No naked/half naked shots I don't think. I don't know that I'll actually have prints made, but most photographers now will charge for a shoot and that includes a disc with the digital files on them and prints are added on after. Or you can just take your disc to Walgreens, etc. and print yourself. I figure it can't hurt. Several of my friends have had shots done and I think they turned out cute and very tasteful. If you do Groupon or Living Social, it seems like there are always half off shoot coupons so I think they can be done pretty inexpensive.

Well I think I wore myself out this weekend. I was up late (11 and past is now late for me) Thursday through Sunday with several hours of painting, shopping, out in the sun reading (with baby pool for cool off), weddinging, and hanging out with friends included plus my dog kept waking us up Sunday night so I left work around 130 yesterday. After taking a 2 hour nap, laying on the couch all day and going to bed around 915, I feel better today. I was having nausea yesterday and was wondering if I was getting late sickness (first trimester ends Saturday!) but I think I was just worn out. Note to self...quit trying to do so much and get more sleep! I am glad to be back to normal today. I can't function without sleep anymore. :noway:

Well, back to work. Hope you all have a great week!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Into the second trimester most of my food aversions and weird cravings went away. I still have random cravings...but I think it is more that I allow myself foods I wouldn't normally have allowed myself prepregnancy, like ice cream during the week or pizza on a noncheat night. I'm back to pretty much my normal eating (with the addition of a treat here and there). The biggest thing that has changed for me in terms of eating is I have PCOS and was on a very clean, high protein diet prior to pregnancy. I had to watch the amount of carbs I ate, including healthy carbs like fruit. Bananas, pineapples, and mangos were "cheat" fruits...lol. I now do not restrict any healthy carbs cause I know it is essential for the baby's growth and for my energy. I still make sure to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. This has been proven to be the "cure" to preeclampsia according to many experts.

And during your first trimester especially it is VERY common to have cramping. I also had 2 miscarriages so I know how scary any cramping can be. It is just your uterus stretching. Most of my cramping subsided into the 14th week of pregnancy. Now I just get the lovely slightly crampy Braxton Hicks all the time.

Holly you are doing awesome! You keep rocking it girl! :)

I think I'm moving into the 3rd trimester fatigue....I still have 3 weeks to go, but for the past couple of days I've just been so overly tired like I was int he first trimester. I slept 10 hours last night and I'm pretty sure I could take a nap today if I laid down. Maybe it is the intense heat that hasn't gone away in a month...or maybe it is the 3rd trimester fatigue, but whatever it is, it is annoying! I hate feeling "lazy". And all I want to do is lay around and not do anything (but maybe eat on some fruit lol). Speaking of fruit, I think it is funny how just about everyone on this board has mentioned how they are craving fruit. I wonder if it our bodies way of getting us through being pregnant in the crappiest, hottest part of the year?! Just a thought. :) If we can, I'm totally going to try and plan for the next baby to come in May! Being pregnant in the summer sucks.

I did manage to get in an hour of toning this morning....still trying to talk myself into getting on the treadmill for at least 30, preferably 60 minutes. We shall see...

Hope you all are staying cool and having a more productive day than I am!
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Feels like to day should be at least Wednesday with how busy I have been.

Before my ultrasound on Monday my husband and I were talking about what we thought the baby was. We both guessed girl. I just felt it was a girl because of the nausea and pimples. Plus I heard if you don't feel pretty while you are pregnant that it is a girl because she is sucking away your beauty, haha. My husband just kept referring to the baby as her without even thinking about it.

So we went to the u/s and got to see the babies forming organs and her bones. She is developing at a healthy rate and everything looks good. At first she was on her belly but by the end she went on her back. It took a long time to get her to show her goods. I was worried we wouldn't be able to find out. She kept crossing her legs so we couldn't see. So the tech kept jiggling my stomach to try and get her to move. It made me have to pee so bad. But finally she gave us a peek. The tech said she is shy and doesn't like to spread her legs and my husband said "hey that's a good thing", haha. I have pictures I just need to scan them. I was suprised because she even did a couple of 3D profile pics which I totally was not expecting.

I am so excited and can't wait to buy some girly things. It is becoming more and more real. I'm starting to feel her a little bit too. I get little tickles now and again.

We have not really thought of names but I do like Hannah, Kelsey, Aubrey and Ashlyn -- what do you guys think?

Well I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well. Keep up the great work. I have Zumba tomorrow and I can't wait.

~Nichole
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Nichole I'm so happy for you! That's funny cause my skin has been the clearest it has ever been in my life and I was only a little nauseous for 2 weeks this entire pregnancy. I've learned that old wives tales are such for a reason...not a single one applies to me except maybe carrying high but my workout buddy carried very low with all 3 of her girls, so...there goes that. :) Girl stuff is so cute though! I'm having a ball shopping for Charlee! I like all those names. Very pretty. I'm partial to K and C names though so I really like Kelsey. Zumba sounds great! Still missing my cardio kickboxing class dearly!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I'd love to join! I'm just about 6.5 weeks with #4. :) Shooting for 25lbs gained...so far not going too well, which is why I rejoined here. <3
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    And just in case anyone doubted if exercise was good for your baby...here is a study that I found that says that not only is exercise good for your baby's heart, but it can improve their breathing patterns in utero! Yay for healthy babies!

http://www.the-aps.org/press/releases/09/20.htm
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Pieces_of_Me3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smilegirl - Thanks so much for the running advice! I'll be sure to keep on as long as I can...I only hope I'm still running when I'm 34 weeks...that's amazing! :)

Heather - thanks for the welcome! This group is awesome, love the support :)

Rayna - how cool is that! The same wedding anniversary....good pick!

Biokim17 - thanks so much for putting that link to the article regarding working out and pregnancy, such great info!! There are so many benefits to keeping fit while pregnant...seems like it really should be a must.

Hope all you fit and fabulous mama's are having a great day!
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    HI :) Haven't read anything new since I have been out but I just wanna say things are looking up. There were just a lot of things that came up and the combination of everything plus being pregnant just really stressed me out to the point where I seriously thought I was having pregnancy related depression.. But it only lasted a week and I prayed a lot and my prayers have been... well not answered but things are falling into place.. For anyone that cares to read I put some of the obstacles we had to push through the past couple weeks

One of the problems we had to find a way to solve are finances. My student loan was going to kick in and we can't afford to pay it back just yet (they would have kicked in november) so we made a decision for me to go back to texas alone. I am going to live with one of my good friends in nursing school with me... She is older, has an older child so she knows how to help with babies, plus she has wanted to adopt a baby so she is excited for me to move in.. (and the fact that we are study buddies so she said now she doesn't have an excuse not to study). We also found that Texas workforce pays for a BIG chunk of daycare for families with only one parent working and one parent in school, so I talked to them and they said we can put in an application as soon as baby is born. We may have to be on a waiting list for 12 weeks but we can shell out daycare money for that long.. Plus the daycare I found has extended hours for days when I will be in clinicals for 12 hrs...

Yep that was just one of the problems and it felt like a pretty big predicament. My student loans are average for an independent student so it is nothing like 100k but its like 50 k because I had no help at all with putting myself through school (another reason why we decided to get married so early, so that I can be an independent student as per fafsa) but anyways, my loan payments were going to be 500+ a month and that on top of new baby expenses and being on one income just isn't gonna work...

I am pretty lucky that our semesters are only 3.5 months long by the time my baby is born: my husband's leave is 4 weeks long, my mom is taking 2 weeks vacation then we can put baby in daycare at 6 weeks but all in all he will only be about 12 weeks old when I am done with the semester so 6 weeks in daycare total... plus by that time I am in clinicals so I will only be in school 3 days a week...

On top of that I had some bad things happen with family... really bad drama and some things just made me so sick that thinking about it made me nauseated.

BUT I still tried to work out (I thought the endorphins would keep me from being in an all time low) and the anger fueled me through 3 mile runs that I haven't been able to do straight in a while!!!! Still going strong with the workouts but I have to eat a little more to gain more weight because I lost almost 7 lbs total.

I am okay now, I am blessed and although things are not ideal, I have to keep telling myself that being away from hubby isn't the worse thing that could happen, and there are plenty of nursing students in my school that had their babies and went back to school the next week so I hope things go well. I will catch up with you guys soon

Holly, thanks so much for checking on me I appreciate it :)
  • mandysonnier
    mandysonnier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm happy to have found this forum. My name is Mandy, and 33 and I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my 4th. I'm determined to maintain a healthy weight during this pregnany, and to continue to exercise throughout, if possible. Happy to have found you all =)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Heather,

The reason my doctor said it was ok to eat 1500 cals and gain only 15 lb is because A) my BMI is in the overweight category and B) I gained 75 lb with my first pregnancy and still haven't got the last 15 off. Recent studies have come out with the verdict that it is ok to maintain your weight during pregnancy if you are overweight. My mother was 130 lb when she was pregnant with me in the 80s and was told to gain minimal weight then because she was starting out on the chubby side (she was 5'2"), so she gained only 14 lb with me and I was born 2 weeks late and over 6 lb.

Also, about the carbs, I use the term pretty specifically and should have specified, she meant bread. she meant don't overdo the bread. She didn't mean fruits and veggies and whole grains. But as every pregnant woman knows, in the first trimester we all tend to keep down bread best. I mean, when I get my son a whole wheat bagel for lunch, it takes a lot of will power not to eat it myself. And I'm someone that can bloat very easily from one piece of white bread, so for me its important to be careful while pregnant (who wants to be more bloated when pregnant???lol).

The other reason I am being so strict, is also because both sides my family has a history of obesity-related diabetes and everyone in my family is naturally on the heavy side. I've been fighting my genes since I was 12. I have a very slow metabolism and it can take a year to loose 10 lb. I just can not let myself get even close to the weight I was last time (225 before my son's birth). And the doctor said its ok for me to gain 15 lb (and in NYC if they tell you that, then it's true because the doctors here get sued more often than ANYWHERE else!!!!) then that's all I'm gaining!

But don't get me wrong! I have a very very healthy lifestyle and diet. I walk about 45 minutes a day or more (burning between 400-600 calories) and I eat tons of produce, whole grains, lean meat and low in mercury fish. I just don't eat much junk at all.

BTW, I was reading about that diet method ppl were referring to earlier in the thread, and it says to eat 2 servings of fish A DAY!!!! My doctor gave me a fish warning and said I should only have fish twice a week, and tuna once a month, so I'm kinda confused at why someone would say to eat so much fish when the mercury could cause delay in children, low birth weight, and even miscarriage.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've never heard only eat tuna once a month. I've heard only eat canned tuna once a week, but never once a month. I love fish so that would be very hard for me. haha!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    The warning is from government health officials dating to 2001 and the consumers union believes that "vulnerable individuals" (their term) should limit intake of tuna based on EPA guidelines and pregnant women should avoid fish with high levels of mercury. It also states that "methyl mercury can cross the placenta and cause learning defects and developmental delays in children who are exposed to LOW levels in the womb".

In the practice I go to, some doctors say that it is safe to consume one serving of tuna every 2 weeks, others say once a month.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Lexi I'm so sorry things have been so hard for you lately. You've been on my mind and I've hoped all was well. Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan in place. Stay strong! We are all here for you!

Sabrina I do understand that women who are overweight/obese can gain less weight than those of a healthy BMI. I wasn't trying to question your doctor's orders, I was just confused since you didn't explain all the details as to why you were supposed to limit your weight gain. And I'm glad you are eating healthy, nutritious foods! That is very important as well. I am a little confused where you got your information regarding this "diet method" that was mentioned in an earlier thread (are you referring to The Bradley Method??) and the amount of fish to be consumed. "The FDA has released guidelines for children, women who are pregnant and women who are trying to become pregnant. These guidelines state that no more than 12 oz of low mercury fish should be consumed weekly. "Highest" mercury fish should be avoided and "high" mercury fish should be kept to only three 6-oz servings per month." There is a long list of fish that can be consumed up to 12oz per week. The Bradley Method says to consume 2 servings of protein to include fish/seafood, liver, chicken, lean beef, lamb, pork, beans or any kind of cheese. It specifically says in the classes to avoid the same amount of mercury as the fda guidelines. It wasn't meant to say to eat 2 servings of fish every day.

Welcome Mandy! We are so glad you found us! Jump right in!

I think I need a vacation to Alaska right now! I'm sooooo done with this heat! I got up at 7 to walk my dog and by the end of the walk it was 90*! Just makes for being hot and miserable all the time. And I love being outside... I am so ready for September to come so there is some relief from this wretched heat!

Also...I just want everyone to know that this should be a safe forum where we can discuss things even if we don't agree. On the pregnancy forum I was on before I started this one, if you said one thing that another member didn't agree with you'd be ridiculed and people stopped talking to you because they thought you were drama. I think it is important that as long as we respect that everyone has different opinions and beliefs, we are all here for the same goal....to be healthy and have a beautiful, healthy baby!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Yes, heather you are right! I reread the bradley method and realized that it means 2 servings of protein and was just mentioning fish as an example. After further reading, I have realized that this method is not for me, but I support all the women who have decided to follow any birthing/pregnancy lifestyle plan because it is so important to be comfortable with yourself and your birthing plan.

BTW, I am 5'4", so weighing 166 lb right now, even though I'm a size 8/10, my BMI is still overweight.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, Welcome to the half way point of the week:0) I know I am happy it is Wednesday.

Lexi, do glad to hear from you. I'm sorry things have been stressful. You are a really strong person and will be an awesome mom. Sometimes you have to just do what needs to be done but in the end you will be rewarded. I wish you the very best of luck!

Heather this forum is great. I feel that all the women here are not afraid to workout and seem to be very supportive. So thank you! I hope you get a cool day soon. It has been in the upper 90's to lower 100's all week here in NC. I miss going outside but it is just so hot and I have really fair skin so the 2 don't mix.

I'm really excited for the weekend. We are going camping with some friends in Asheville, NC which is one of my favorite places. Asheville is really into local culture with the arts and their food. Most restaurants use locally grown food and are not chains. They are also having a music street fair this weekend which I am really looking forward to. I just hope our tent doesn't get too hot (we will be using an air mattress). It's in the mountains so I'm hoping it is cooler than it is here.

Went to Zumba this morning. It was great. I wonder if our little girl will be a dancer, hehe...

Have a great day everyone!

~Nichole
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Options
    Question for all you pregnant waxing mama's...is it true that the pain level increases greatly while getting waxed when pregnant? Since I got married, I've been a faithful brazilian waxee and am going tomorrow for the first time since being pregnant. I have researched that because of the increase of blood and extra sensitive body (ie. skin and breasts), there is way more redness and pain during and after waxing. Just wondering if anyone out there has thoughts/or experienced this.

Thanks!
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Options
    Question for all you pregnant waxing mama's...is it true that the pain level increases greatly while getting waxed when pregnant? Since I got married, I've been a faithful brazilian waxee and am going tomorrow for the first time since being pregnant. I have researched that because of the increase of blood and extra sensitive body (ie. skin and breasts), there is way more redness and pain during and after waxing. Just wondering if anyone out there has thoughts/or experienced this.

Thanks!
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Options
    oops! didn't mean to post that twice!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Yes, I used to wax my legs before I was expecting my first child and during pregnancy it became unbearable that I had to start using veet. I still haven't gone back to waxing, and now I won't be able to for a while.

Just to let everyone know- that thing about ginger beating the nausea, is actually true!!!! I was feeling so sick while I was out this morning, that I went to buy some crystallized ginger and had one piece right away, it beat the morning sickness instantly!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Nichole that sounds awesome! Hope it isn't too hot for you! My hubby is going to be leaving on the 4th and will be in Raleigh for 1-3wks (hoping for 1 rather than 3 weeks...but it is better than what it could be). I really wish I could go with him but between my dog and our weekly Bradley classes, it just doesn't look like it is going to happen. And besides, I'd probably be stuck in a hotel room by the airport with no way of getting around and doing anything. I bet your little miss will be quite the dancer! :) I know I've said it before, but I truly miss my cardio kickboxing class. The energy and music was awesome. I can barely keep my heart rate in the 140s-150s during a hike or walk, which for me is hardly breaking a sweat! I do get in a good intense workout on the spinning bike...but doing it myself is about as boring as watching grass grow. I love working out with people and getting in an awesome sweat while doing it! Keep up the awesome work!

Sabrina, natural childbirth isn't for everybody and that is okay. And I've heard that ginger does help. They have ginger pops I know a lot of women swear by. What are your favorite exercises/workouts?

I only get my eyebrows waxed and they are slightly more sensitive now but now too bad. It isn't dangerous to wax, it is just a matter of comfort for you. So if you can bare it, it is all good! :) I'm still curious as to how I'm going to keep things "manicured" down there once my belly gets a little bigger! lol! My husband offered to assist...but I can only imagine, I might be better off doing it myself by feel or a mirror! lol

I'm going to try out a yoga class tomorrow. It is "flow yoga". I'm just so bored with doing workouts in my house, so it can't hurt to try it out. Got my workouts in today and am going to go to the pool this evening with my workout buddy and her kiddos. So what if I will be the big white preggo at the pool...I'm hot and need to cool off! lol Hope you all are having a great day!