Fit For Future Families - July 2011

Options

Replies

• snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    Morning all! Does anyone have a recomendation on a good health & fitness book to read? I was looking at getting Kim Lyons: Your Body Your LIfe but I am unable to locate it in my area.

Hope you all have a good day - trying to keep hopes up here got AF this morning. :(
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome bronzelady and any other newbies I may have missed!

Redhead, pixieofdoom is right, there is more than one fantastic threads here for mothers to be looking to maintain a healthy weight during their pregnancies, I’m sure they’ll be able to support you through that process & fingers crossed that some of us will be moving there too soon! Good luck with the IVF!

Snflwr04, I’ve never read this but a former member here (she’s now preggers and on the other thread) often recommended “The Diet Solution” and she swore by it.
    I’m sorry to hear about AF, I know how you feel!

AFM, AF came too this morning. Early for me on CD29, I keep going down by a day or so every month, not that I mind it just means I get to restart earlier. The good news too is that my next cycle’s O will fall while I’m on vacation so I’ll be able to have a relaxing last IUI.
    Does anyone else notice how extreme workouts affect your cycle? I’ve noticed over the last couple months that I O’ or even start AF right after an intense workout, not to mention that AF is that much more heavy during & the hour after a workout. EWCM is too! Is this just me?
  • DrPooh
    DrPooh Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello Everyone, :smile:

I just join myfitnesspal on Monday & looking forward to losing weight. Me & my husband have been TTC for some years now & still no luck. Doctors recommend losing weight . I keep losing 10 to 15 lbs here & there and then gain it back or more. Looking for tips/suggestions to keep the weight off before & after baby finally gets here. :heart:
  • ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi everyone! Do you have room for one more?

I'm technically not TTC at this very moment, but planning to start soon. My fiance and I are getting married on March 17, 2012 and want to start TTC right away. I've been on the pill for several years and have had several ultrasounds that show multiple cysts. I'm trying to find a new doctor now to meet with for advice about preparing myself for pregnancy. Part of my reason for joining MFP is to get myself in the best of health for my future family, so this board jumped out at me when I saw it!

I've lost about 50lbs in the past 2 years after getting a thyroid problem under control and focusing on eating better. I've started working out daily just recently and have a goal of reaching 160lbs. I'd like to do that prior to wedding day, but I'll take what I can get. The last time I was 160lbs, I was in 8th grade!

I hope to get to know you all better so we can help each other meet our goals!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    What will I do with the whole MFP and weight loss thing. I do not want to risk the baby with not enough nutrition, but at the same time I do not want to make the same mistake as last time: I gained 70lb with my last pregnancy, yikes!

a 25-30 pound gain is normal. you only need an extra 300 calories a day (up to 500) while you are pregnant with your little one. the problem is we think that we are 'eating for two' when we really aren't. :) if you are pregnant, you can still use mfp, either at maintenance or at gaining a half pound a week.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    What will I do with the whole MFP and weight loss thing. I do not want to risk the baby with not enough nutrition, but at the same time I do not want to make the same mistake as last time: I gained 70lb with my last pregnancy, yikes!

a 25-30 pound gain is normal. you only need an extra 300 calories a day (up to 500) while you are pregnant with your little one. the problem is we think that we are 'eating for two' when we really aren't. :) if you are pregnant, you can still use mfp, either at maintenance or at gaining a half pound a week.

I have to disagree with this. The ideal gain for a pregnant women is dependant upon her starting weight. As for calories, for the first trimester there is no requirement for extra calories. In the 2nd and 3rd trimester you only need an extra 300 calories.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey all newbies! Wow, it seems this place is growing super fast! I'm sorry I can't quite keep up.

I am have a pity party today. I'm on yet ANOTHER month of not being pregnant, and my 6th month (in total) of Clomid. I"m so past fed up.
    And our wait on the adoption list isn't moving at all. We're still waiting for the PRIDE training and we've got another year to year and a half for that, THEN the home study, then the wait for placement. It's going to be years, and there is nothing we can do about it.

I'm feeling so incredibly useless right now.
  • snflwr04
    Options
    Hey all newbies! Wow, it seems this place is growing super fast! I'm sorry I can't quite keep up.

I am have a pity party today. I'm on yet ANOTHER month of not being pregnant, and my 6th month (in total) of Clomid. I"m so past fed up.
    And our wait on the adoption list isn't moving at all. We're still waiting for the PRIDE training and we've got another year to year and a half for that, THEN the home study, then the wait for placement. It's going to be years, and there is nothing we can do about it.

*Hugs* You are not useless! You are a beautiful person who is surrounded by people who care about you and whom you care about also. The wait for a child is WORTH the frustration of TTC and waiting for adoption. There is a child out there just waiting for you to be their mother - you just have to wait. Waiting stinks, yes - but just imagine the excitement you will feel when you get your BFP or your child from the adoption agency.

I say, go do one thing that makes you happy today. Get a massage, do your nails, read a book or just let calgon take you away. You'll be fine - we are all strong women and will get through this regardless!

:)
  • snflwr04
    Options
    Welcome bronzelady and any other newbies I may have missed!

Redhead, pixieofdoom is right, there is more than one fantastic threads here for mothers to be looking to maintain a healthy weight during their pregnancies, I’m sure they’ll be able to support you through that process & fingers crossed that some of us will be moving there too soon! Good luck with the IVF!

Snflwr04, I’ve never read this but a former member here (she’s now preggers and on the other thread) often recommended “The Diet Solution” and she swore by it.
    I’m sorry to hear about AF, I know how you feel!

AFM, AF came too this morning. Early for me on CD29, I keep going down by a day or so every month, not that I mind it just means I get to restart earlier. The good news too is that my next cycle’s O will fall while I’m on vacation so I’ll be able to have a relaxing last IUI.
    Does anyone else notice how extreme workouts affect your cycle? I’ve noticed over the last couple months that I O’ or even start AF right after an intense workout, not to mention that AF is that much more heavy during & the hour after a workout. EWCM is too! Is this just me?

Thanks for the recomendation!! I'll definitley look into it!!
  • MirandaSwafford
    MirandaSwafford Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey all :) newbie here! I just recently discovered this site and I think I am really going to like it!! We have been TTC for 4 years now with no luck! Doctor recommends to lose weight to help with PCOS!! All advice welcome :smile:
  • sdavisneill
    sdavisneill Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey gals!

Just dropping in for a minute, I just got back from a short business trip to New York and I am exhausted! Between the holiday, the trip, and AF (grrr), I feel all out of whack with eating, weird exercise schedule, cramps, etc. On the bright side, today is day 100 for me on MFP!!

It's so great to see so many newbies on here! Welcome everyone!!

Jalara, sorry you're having a rough day. I agree 100% with snflwr, you are wonderful and I believe that each of us, in our own way and time, will find what we're looking for. That is exactly why we're here for each other! **HUGS**

:flowerforyou: Stephanie
  • BronzeLady
    BronzeLady Posts: 13
    Options
    Jalara, you are not 'useless'. You are a beautiful wonderful person who is willing to open your heart and your home for a child not of your body. Not everyone is cut out for that sort of thing, but you are! Without people like you my grandpa would not have had a home.
  • phshhnet
    phshhnet Posts: 12
    Options
    sorry... didn't realize I posted this in the june thread.... so I am going to post this here now and edit my other one. sorry!!

Don't know much about the meds or anything but I have a question... I don't get my TOM on my own (need to take Prometrium once every 3 months to bring it on)... if I was to use an ovulation monitor, would the Prometrium affect or skew the results in any way? I know because of the PCOS I don't ovulate on my own... so Am I wrong with the assumption that the Prometrium will allow me to ovulate?

Thanks.
  • losing4baby
    losing4baby Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I'm brand new here (started yesterday) and hope to stick with it so thought I should look for some support!
    I started with an RE just over a year ago, and since that first appointment I have gained 35 lbs.! The challenge of wanting/trying to get pregnant and not has led to lots of emotional eating and I had to put a stop to it. Two years ago I was 223 lbs... currently I am 283. Unbelievable.
    I am in the middle of a frozen embryo transfer cycle... transfer should happen early August and I know I will feel a little better to be down 10 lbs. or so by then.
    Glad to be here and looking forward to getting to know some of you!!
  • godblessourhome
    Options

I have to disagree with this. The ideal gain for a pregnant women is dependant upon her starting weight. As for calories, for the first trimester there is no requirement for extra calories. In the 2nd and 3rd trimester you only need an extra 300 calories.

not sure what you are disagreeing with? is it just that i wasn't specific enough about when you need the extra 300 calories?

according to my doctor, regardless of starting weight, you are supposed to gain 25-30 pounds. of course it is more if you are too thin and less is you are too heavy, but that is a general average for the general public. doing the calculation, 40 weeks of pregnancy at .5 pound a week equals 20 pounds. mathwise, it looks like mfp's settings will work for gaining a reasonable amount of weight while you are pregnant. am i missing something?
  • godblessourhome
    Options

sorry you are feeling blue. :(
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    sorry... didn't realize I posted this in the june thread.... so I am going to post this here now and edit my other one. sorry!!

Don't know much about the meds or anything but I have a question... I don't get my TOM on my own (need to take Prometrium once every 3 months to bring it on)... if I was to use an ovulation monitor, would the Prometrium affect or skew the results in any way? I know because of the PCOS I don't ovulate on my own... so Am I wrong with the assumption that the Prometrium will allow me to ovulate?

Thanks.

i would assume that too, but i would call the prescribing doctor's nurse and ask for clarification.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    welcome to the other newbies. *waves*

two more days until my supposed ovulation. keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Hey all :) newbie here! I just recently discovered this site and I think I am really going to like it!! We have been TTC for 4 years now with no luck! Doctor recommends to lose weight to help with PCOS!! All advice welcome :smile:

the thing that helps me the most in controlling pcos is to eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day. i had to change mfp's default settings. hope that helps you too!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, I just wanted to give you all a shout out before I leave for another long weekend (got the OK from my boss yesterday that I can have Friday off). So I’m heading out to the Adirondacks for some camping and kayaking. I made a meal plan of supper healthy low GI foods to bring, and since the nearest groceries store will be an hour drive away, it actually means I’ll be eating well this weekend! I did do well up until last night, those AF cramps and a lot of packing and planning led to me getting takeout (but the shish taouk was worth it!). So I’m wishing all of you a healthy weekend and as always… lots of baby dust!