Do you really need the gym to achieve to your goal?

Options
I have just posted this up on my blog and thought it would probably make a better topic, I'm sure it will stir up some friendly banter as many people will have different views! Here we go!!

Do you really need the gym to achieve to your goal?
Yes I have asked myself the question and NO I don't need the bloody gym. Why? Because it's crap that's why! It's the dullest, ugliest waste of space I have ever seen, well apart from a few ex boyfriends! ;-)

Unless you want to look like Johnny Bravo then why bother? Why would I want to pay money to do something I hate? I have enough chores at home! I don't want to stroll down to the local gym on my days off work, feeling worse than what I do when I'm going to work and pay for the privilege!

Just be active and live life! Go for a nice walk in the park or swimming with the kids! Drive over to your nearest seaside and swim in the sea. Go play sports games with your friends and go hiking with a picnic at national parks. Ride your bike to the city and have lots of sex with the person you love and just be happy!

Lets face it, I'm fat because I get cabs instead of the bus, I get the bus instead of walking and I eat takeaways more often than not because I finish late from work and I can't be arsed cooking! The reasons above are why I'm fat, it's not because I don't go to the gym, it's because I'm not active! The gym is for people who want to keep fit, not get fit! That's why they keep going back because that's what they like to do it's a hobby! Let's not kid ourselves here ladies and gentlement if I liked to go to the gym and bust my gut I wouldn't be squeezing into size 18 jeans I'd be on the cat walk next to Naomi Campbell! That's just it we all wouldn't be fat if we actually loved going to the gym because we'd be there flexing our muscles to the opposite sex instead of pretending we like it!

I had an amazing walk with my best friend today, we talked about life, love and our futures, it was great! We walked 9 miles and even more amazingly I burnt over 1000 calories! We walked to a small town outside of the city, found a local pub and had a diet coke and then walked back, it was great and I can't wait until tomorrow and we can do it all over again! I'll reach my weight loss goal enjoying my life thanks not killing my spirit in the process, ack!

That is all /takes a bow ;-)

Replies

• EmsyLou77
    EmsyLou77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    well said! :smile:
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to be able to go back and read this, no time right now. =)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. For ME -- I DO need a gym.

I've tried working out at home to lose weight and it doesn't work for me. I find myself making excuses why I don't need to workout today and next thing you know - I'm never doing it.

Having a gym membership makes me want to go and workout. I picked one that is on my way home from work so I can just stop on my way home if I'm feeling a little eh about going.

I work on my feet, so I need something with higher intensity to lose weight.

And at the end of it all - I really do love my gym. I love having all the different machines available to me all the time. It's awesome.

So, for some of us ... we DO need a gym to achieve our goals. I truly believe I wouldn't be below my original goal weight without my gym.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No. I think I achieved more as far as losing inches and gaining better endurance last summer when I was doing NMTZ, running and walking outside. I'm going back to that this month. I'm doing 30 Day Shred for 30 days and I'm going to be alternating running and rollerblading... then I'm going to alternate between TaeBo, Pilates, Yoga and running.
  • paulagabay
    paulagabay Posts: 96
    Options
    I have just come to the same realization myself and thanks for the humor too.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I completely agree!
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think you are correct. I would say also that I do a lot of videos at home and have some equpment at home that I use.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    For me, I really do need the gym. I LOVE going to the gym. I can take my kids, drop them off in child care, and do what I need to do. I tried working out at home, but I never stuck with it. Now that I'm paying per month, I feel like I have to go, and I do go.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i need the gym. one side of my living room are my weights... the other side is my couch......................i'm gonna pick the couch thanks. lol
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Well. For ME -- I DO need a gym.

I've tried working out at home to lose weight and it doesn't work for me. I find myself making excuses why I don't need to workout today and next thing you know - I'm never doing it.

Having a gym membership makes me want to go and workout. I picked one that is on my way home from work so I can just stop on my way home if I'm feeling a little eh about going.

I work on my feet, so I need something with higher intensity to lose weight.

And at the end of it all - I really do love my gym. I love having all the different machines available to me all the time. It's awesome.

So, for some of us ... we DO need a gym to achieve our goals. I truly believe I wouldn't be below my original goal weight without my gym.

Agree with Chevy, I need the gym. I need it for motivation and inspiration. I like the structure of an aerobics class, I like the equipment that I could never afford to stock my house with. I don't think that makes me weak, I think it makes me smart for finding out what works for ME. Everyone is on a journey, and as long as you keep your eye on the prize, why is my way of getting there "wrong" just b/c it is different?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I agree you definitely don't need a gym, but I also think the gym is a great place for people to get fit :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think I need the gym as well. I've never been able to afford it but I'm going to try to work it into my budget. I am bored with pushing the stroller around my neighborhood, I am sick of dvd's and I've hit a plateau at 29lbs lost. At least with the gym I can drop my son off at the daycare and have access to the pools, any machince, weights, etc..
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i need the gym. one side of my living room are my weights... the other side is my couch......................i'm gonna pick the couch thanks. lol

I have the exact same situation. I have the stuff, but I won't walk into a gym and walk out LOL. Once people see me, I feel obligated to at least look productive :-)
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I totally agree. I have been doing this a year and started out doing EA Active Sports on the Wii with walking on the weekends. I then changed that to walking 4-5 times a week. I now walk and jog. I don't need a gym when I can do the same thing for free.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Your right, for some people its just a hobby. They use it as place to flirt and things of that nature. I think for me I enjoy the walking with my friends and I have weights at home that I use. For now, I will stick with that. But Curves is for women and its a great place to start ;-)
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Very well said!!

I do think that some people need the gym but the key part there is "some people". Me myself, doesn't do me any good, even if I pay for it; I still won't go, but I'm pretty good at working out here at home.

Enjoy your walking!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I walk, I run, I ride my stationary bike. I don't need a gym most of the year although during these hot months I've been considering it. Getting up at 5am to run and beat the 105° heat is getting really old! Especially when it's already 80° at 5am!! I think people who live in extreme climates probably need a gym because you can't walk or run when it's too hot or too cold.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I love doing both. My membership is only $20 and is really nice in Alaska when it is -40!!!! i ride my bike, walk the dog, and do videos but sometimes i just like to go to the gym and use all the machines. It is different for everyone.
  • EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    When I move to Decatur, GA I'm going to try my best to walk everywhere first.
    First: I have never taken a public bus anywhere. Also I don't know the bus routes, so I might get lost. :(
    Second: There is a gym at the apartments I'll be staying at, but I'm not really paying for a gym...
    Third: I'm fat and I need to walk.