Big Black Women

Options
1234568»

Replies

• AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't offend anyone saying this but I was unaware that black women were pushed to be heavier. I just assumed your culture was more accepting of fuller figures and quite honestly I was a little envious of it. Thank for you for informing me of this misconception. I literally learn something new everyday on this site. Good luck I know you will do well!

Not so much "pushed" to be heavier as picked on for being smaller or picked on for not being "the right sort of big". In the south (where my family is from...i dont consider myself a "southern sistah"...HATE that term...), people are BIG as an AVERAGE. When you don't fit the average, or you want to change the average, people think you're an idiot. "Why change when you weren't as big as whats her name down the block?" "Skinny people are uppity." Or the wonderful phrase EVERYONE loves "skinny b*tch." You dont even have to be skinny. Just smaller than the average.

And I don't believe it's just culture, but location. And class status. I knew one girl who's parents lived in the EXTREMELY upper part of society? She HAD to stay thin. For some reason "thin" equals "rich and beautiful" in some places. If she gained weight at all, people wouldn't associate with her.

Or further south, where another girl i knew simply CAN'T gain weight. she naturally stays at 95 pounds for some reason. And people constantly pick at her for being tiny and call her a b*itch and they theink she thinks she's better than everybody. Not to mention she has lighter skin, which makes a whole lot of STUPID trouble for her on top of that.

But that last point is a whole other topic. It's not JUST culture. It's also WHERE you live and the people who live there that shape the general right and wrong body image of that place. Unfortunately.

AMEN! I have dealt with this all my life from black women! I have never thought I was better than anyone but boy I was blamed for it. Now I am fat 158 lbs and some still give me crap for being too little when I am now obese.. I am only 5'2" I can't count how many times I have been threatened, given dirty looks etc. etc. by mean heavy black women... oh and don't be a lighter complexion.. that is a crime too. I used to try my best to fit in with black women in the south and the only ones that accepted my friendship were thin and not dark... WTF is that? we are all black...
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think you're missing an important point - many Black women naturally have curves. Beyonce is not overweight. You can have a huge *kitten* and have abs. Look at Serena Williams. It's should never be acceptable to have a gut and chow down on fried chicken all day; belly fat is dangerous, but for those women who naturally have *kitten*, hips, thighs, and breasts no matter how hard they work out and diet, they should embrace who they are. You sound really resentful for not being one of those women. It's true that there are many misguided beliefs when it comes to diet and exercise in the Black community, but a lot of that has political and social underlying factors. Why do most McDonald's commercials target Black audiences? Research and do your history. It's not our fault, but it's definitely time for us to stop being the victim and do something about it.

I agree with this quote everything she said is how I felt!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never did understand that... Everyone like worships Beyonce because she's so sexy. and yet i feel fat as a hippo in a size 7 jeans. She's obviously bigger!! I think it's because of her boobs honestly...Great post btw
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    I love this post <3
  • elock6
    elock6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to what others think is best for you. Do what you know is best for you and you will be fine. Surround yourself with people who support your goals and your lifestyle. Thats hard sometimes with family because you can't choose them. But you can make it clear where you stand on the subject. All the best to you.
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think its a cop out to blame choices on environment and economical status. Every convenience store I've been to has crap soda, sugar drinks, junk food everywhere. I can't recall the last time I walked into a "suburban" convenience store and anyone handing me a wheat grass to go or humas in a hurry. If you frequent convenience stores you get the crap no matter where you live. It's about choices. If you are hungry stop at a food lion or grocery store and pick up some fruit and maybe some protein or deli meats.

I've been a big woman since I was 18 years old. I've taken flack from every family member and even had school classmates say "gosh what happened to you!?" Did I blame the environment or eco system I grew up in? Did I walk around and say it's not my fault!! I didn't buy hoho's and put them in the freezer and eat a box at a time I swear it! lol Yay whatever...anyhow I like this thread but stereotypes will always exist.

I agree that Beyonce is celebrated for her curves but Christina Aguilera looks like a heifer according to the mass media. Makes ZERO sense. Just be healthy...who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't offend anyone saying this but I was unaware that black women were pushed to be heavier. I just assumed your culture was more accepting of fuller figures and quite honestly I was a little envious of it. Thank for you for informing me of this misconception. I literally learn something new everyday on this site. Good luck I know you will do well!

Not so much "pushed" to be heavier as picked on for being smaller or picked on for not being "the right sort of big". In the south (where my family is from...i dont consider myself a "southern sistah"...HATE that term...), people are BIG as an AVERAGE. When you don't fit the average, or you want to change the average, people think you're an idiot. "Why change when you weren't as big as whats her name down the block?" "Skinny people are uppity." Or the wonderful phrase EVERYONE loves "skinny b*tch." You dont even have to be skinny. Just smaller than the average.

And I don't believe it's just culture, but location. And class status. I knew one girl who's parents lived in the EXTREMELY upper part of society? She HAD to stay thin. For some reason "thin" equals "rich and beautiful" in some places. If she gained weight at all, people wouldn't associate with her.

Or further south, where another girl i knew simply CAN'T gain weight. she naturally stays at 95 pounds for some reason. And people constantly pick at her for being tiny and call her a b*itch and they theink she thinks she's better than everybody. Not to mention she has lighter skin, which makes a whole lot of STUPID trouble for her on top of that.

But that last point is a whole other topic. It's not JUST culture. It's also WHERE you live and the people who live there that shape the general right and wrong body image of that place. Unfortunately.

AMEN! I have dealt with this all my life from black women! I have never thought I was better than anyone but boy I was blamed for it. Now I am fat 158 lbs and some still give me crap for being too little when I am now obese.. I am only 5'2" I can't count how many times I have been threatened, given dirty looks etc. etc. by mean heavy black women... oh and don't be a lighter complexion.. that is a crime too. I used to try my best to fit in with black women in the south and the only ones that accepted my friendship were thin and not dark... WTF is that? we are all black...

I had no idea that skin complexion and body size were traits subject to discrimination within the black community. Thanks for letting me understand something more about the black experience, particularly in the south. I would never have guessed.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I think Beyonce is not overweight. She is sexy and toned. I think everyone gave Britney a hard time because she was super toned and thin and after her babies she was like an average girl with a little bit of weight on her. Jessica Simpson is big after having her baby. I dont think she cares about her weight though as much as other stars. She wants to make a statement that she is not going to starve to look hot.
    You do have a good point though. I'm Mexican and when i hang out with my Mexican friends in the not so privilege part of town I am not fat. I am thin, but when I talk to my white friends or Mexican friends in the more privileged area I am fat. It is confusing, So I think just be the best that you can be that you feel comfortable being. Don't listen to what people say or what TV says.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    It's not just black women honey. I live in a poor community and there are more unhealthy foods available than healthy foods. It's all about cost. Pasta is cheap and unhealthy, therefore; it is plentiful.

[/quote]

^^^^^^^I think this is true.^^^^^^ Don't know who posted this above but i agree.