2 Minute Microwave Mug Bread

Options

Replies

• luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To mine this morning, I added 1.5tbsp brown sugar instead of the splenda, a half handful of Great Value Dried Mixed Berries, half handful of pine nuts, and I also sprinkled a pinch of brown sugar across the top before tossing it in the microwave.

Just. Plain. Wow.

1tbsp of salted butter poked in here and there, and I ate it right out of the oversized coffee mug with a fork lol.

Delicious =D.

This sounds awesome! I was thinking I would add some brown sugar or maple syrup to it tomorrow.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I NOMINATE THIS AS TOPIC OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For any Aussies out there..... flaxseed and linseed are the same thing, so look for ground linseed meal. I think I've seen this at the supermarket.
    Great, now I can try this!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is exciting! Sounds as much fun as the Zip lock bag omlettes I made a few years ago.

Tell us more... please!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    this is ridiculously delish! I made it yesterday and had half as a snack and today i used the other half with my tuna for lunch. Yum!!!

thank!!!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Had this for breakfast this morning ... was delicious, and filling!
    Thanks so much for the recipe.
  • Bzlilmom
    Bzlilmom Posts: 2
    Options
    BUMP!
    :drinker: Finally a guilt free bread even a diabetic can enjoy.

I've adapted this recipe for individual Cinnamon Mug Muffins (Mug Bread) from the many versions you can find on the Internet. It's a very healthy alternative to other breads and muffins because it's made from ground flaxseed meal. It's low-carb, high fiber and packed with heart healthy Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

Each gluten free muffin is just 196 calories and has 4 grams of carbohydrates and 9 grams of fiber. That's only 5 net carbs per muffin. (You subtract the fiber carbs because they are not metabolized). The fiber helps you feel full and the slow digesting carbs will not spike your blood sugar.

Here's the quick and easy recipe (OK to substitute brands):

BUMP!

1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed (120 calories)
    1/2 tsp Clabber Girl Double-Acting Baking Powder (0 calories) DO NOT USE BAKING SODA
    1 packet Splenda (0 calories)
    1 tsp ground cinnamon (6 calories)
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters (30 calories) or 1 whole medium egg (65 calories)
    1 tsp olive oil (40 calories) or 1 tsp of butter or margarine or 1 tbsp of apple sauce (for lower fat)

--Put all dry ingredients into a microwave safe coffee mug and mix together with a fork.
    --Add the egg and olive oil (or butter or margarine or apple sauce) and beat with a fork until smooth.
    --Microwave 90 seconds to 2 minutes maximum. (My muffin came out perfect in 90 seconds in 1050 watt microwave. I checked t to see if it was done by sticking in a knife, which came out clean).
    --Allow to cool slightly.
    --Dump it out of the mug, then slice and enjoy with your favorite toppings or use like bread to make a sandwich.

It takes about 5 minutes from cupboard to plate (measuring consumes most of the time). After cooling a bit, pass a knife around the inside of the mug and the funny looking 4-inch tall muffin will easily fall out when flipped upside-down. I was pleasantly surprised how delicious and moist it was. The texture was perfect (I was expecting something close to sawdust). It tasted just like a bran muffin. I was worried the cinnamon (which has been proven to help diabetics control their blood sugar) would be overpowering, but it was just right. I usually eat Wasa Crisp Breads (Sourdough) as part of my breakfast and lunch, but now I think I'll be making these whenever I can.

For my sandwiches, I use a small 4.5 inch (13 oz) Pyrex bowl, which creates a larger bread, about 4 inches in diameter. In my microwave, I had to increase the time to 2 minutes. When cooled, you can easily slice it in two and add your favorite sandwich makings. To me it tastes and feels a lot like honey whole wheat bread. Delicious toasted too.
  • Heather3186
    Options
    thanks for sharing!!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Will be trying!! Thank you!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have done the quick chocolate cake in the mug and its delicious, so can't wait to try this.
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!!
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    Will try this for sure!
    My boys are allergic to eggs so in most of my baking I use "flax eggs" - a 1:3 ratio of flax and water, simmered to an egg-like consistency. Would probably go good with all the flax already in it.
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    Bump!
    Thanks for sharing
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    ok maybe i did something wrong, but i made this recipe once (i saw it on another site) and it was by far the grossest thing i've ever eaten in my life :ohwell:
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    made it tonight , but a bit of cream cheese on it. YUM
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This looks fantastic! I struggle every morning to find a satisfying breakfast I can eat at my desk at work that will fill me up so I am not hungry again in 45 minutes. This looks like a wonderful balance! I will try it tomorrow! Might add 5-6 blueberries too! Thanks for the recipe!