Diner Meat Loaf "Muffins"

Options

Replies

• jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I made this for dinner last night, and it was really good.

I just have a quick question. I don't cook much, so it took me forever to chop up the onion and carrots. Any suggestions to make that easier?

Thanks.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I buy baby carrots, cut them in half & then chop them up that way. I was trying to type out a step-by-step for onion cutting, but found this instead. I was getting too wordy.

Watch this:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/cooking-tips/step-by-step-video---how-to-cut-an-onion/article.html
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I made these agian earlier this week then had them last night on a sandwich...which was of course yummy:bigsmile:

My DH loves them....he's such a picky eater too! Thanks agian!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner last night, and it was really good.

I just have a quick question. I don't cook much, so it took me forever to chop up the onion and carrots. Any suggestions to make that easier?

Thanks.

I use my "Bullet" style chopper to chop the carrots or my kids would never eat them.
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How much is a serving? 1 or 2 "muffins"?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I believe it is 2
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I know these are a hit! :happy:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Yum! These sure do look tasty!!
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    I cooked these today and they were great !!!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    So two muffins is a serving, right?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    So two muffins is a serving, right?
    Yes, two muffins per serving. With some sort of starch and veggie, this is a really satisfying meal! :happy:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Anyone who hasn't tried these you should.....my family loved them, I gave recipe to a friend and her family loved them too!

I use my "bullet" to make the carrots tiny - my kids hate carrots and they love these--great way to sneak in some veggies....
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I made a version of these with spicy chipotle garlic enchilada sauce--they rock!! :love: :love: Thanks for the "muffin" idea, it's brilliant. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I made some of these before we used ground turkey! they were great!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Bumping again, making them for dinner tonight! :bigsmile:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Diner Meat Loaf 'Muffins'

Sit down to a meat loaf in a half hour with this recipe. Serve with steamed green beans and roasted potato wedges for an at-home version of a blue-plate special.

Yield
    6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup ketchup, divided
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
    1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs
    Cooking spray
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:276 (28% from fat)
    Fat:8.6g (sat 3g,mono 4g,poly 0.8g)
    Protein:28.7g
    Carbohydrate:21.7g
    Fiber:1.8g
    Cholesterol:131mg
    Iron:3.9mg
    Sodium:759mg
    Calcium:48mg

meat-loaf-ck-1160601-l.jpg
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    We had them for dinner too! But mine were already in the freezer from the last time I made them.
    I love having freezer food for an easy night!
  • beagle595
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful recipe.. I never added carrots before. What a great twist! And the muffin Tin is a great idea. Must have missed it/ I subscribe to Cooking Light. Best magazine on earth for the mouth watering healthy cooking! Keep them coming! :flowerforyou: :wink: :drinker:
  • beagle595
    Options
    Last time I tryed that they were to gressy. I even used extra lean meat. Let me know if yalls if dry

I didn't use any olive oil and mine weren't greasy at all!
    Did the meat bind enough without the oil as moisture, since the meats compacted in muffin tins? Or I wonder if I should add some egg whites. I haven't made meat loaf since I've been strict and prior recipe had eggs with yolks in it. (Because I'll omit the olive oil also/ save extra calories/ I always add a little olive oil to my freshly steamed veggies) :wink:
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Just made these... Very Yummy!!!!!