College/University OFFICIAL WEIGHT LOSS HELP THREAD

Options

Replies

• musicmanomar
    Options
    Love this thread idea! Kristi, Villanova University (right outside philadelphia). Going to be a senior woo! Great advice on the not getting an unlimited meal plan, learning to eat healthy in the dining hall is tough, but not impossible. And I could def use the extra support, especially around finals!! So when does everyone go back to school?! Or anyone doing summer school?
    :)

I go back to school during the 2nd week of August which is not that bad. What about every one else? I know some stored already have school materials out and I just feel as if my summer started...
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Starting my last semester on my bachelors and have a few tips for everyone. ;) I drive 2 hours (one way) to school each day so I pack a cooler to keep in my car. Fruits, tuna kits, veggies, lots of water (because the water on campus tastes terrible!), string cheese, whole wheat crackers, granola bars, salads made at home, etc. If you pack it with enough ice packs, you will still have good food even after a day in 100+ degree heat. (Yeah, my school is in South Georgia and during summer classes the temp in my car was reading 108 daily.) If you must eat on campus, make healthy choices at the various eating establishments. Ask for their nutrition information and make the healthiest choices possible. As for exercise, take your books to the school gym to study. You can sit on a recumbent bike and exercise while you read. Some people are really talented and can walk on a treadmill and read, but that usually takes practice. Also, check to see if your school gym offers classes. I highly recommend yoga to help with the stress of finals. ;)
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    Finishing my last week of summer classes as of Wednesday! Very excited to start my Summer. Fall classes start the last week of August for me. I'll have 1 week winter break and 1 week spring break, but otherwise go clear through until May.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Oh man, I'm so in... I'm a senior at university this year and it's pretty hard to eat healthily on campus... normally I bring my breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on my class schedule, but what happens when I forget? The pretzel store and fast food franchise laden food court could probably tell you, lol.
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Oh, I love this idea! I'm starting as a freshman this year at Chattahoochee Technical School, going for an Associate's degree for my core classes and then transferring to a University for the rest. I just started my diet so that I can feel great about my body while I'm in school!
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I need. It's so hard to go to school and work at the same time.
    I am in my junior year at Florida Atlantic University.

Good luck everyone!!!
  • sebrinac
    sebrinac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    this is a great idea! I will be a junior this fall in St. Louis :)
  • emily2mcmillan
    Options
    This is a great idea! For two years I commuted to community college and last fall I transferred to a state university where I was "on my own" for the first time. I ended up loosing quite a bit of weight my first semester, but second semester I packed on like 15-20lbs (too much microwaveable mac n cheese and alcohol I think..) So, I'm trying to loose some weight and get toned up before I head back for my Junior year! Good luck everyone!

-Emily

Early Childhood Education k-3
    University of Maine at Farmington
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i'm in.

2007-2008 : Nashville Auto Diesle College, graduated w/ degree in Collision Repair & Refinishing
    = gained 25 pounds
    (lots of drinking, smoking pot & mid night taco bell runs LOL)

lost 20 pounds after i graduated, then went back to college for as a History major
    = gained back 10 pounds

moved back home w/ parents (bc i'm a poor college kid)
    = gained another 10 pounds

joined MFP Nov. 2010
    = lost 20 pounds

Curently going to a community college for my *kitten*. of Science, then transfering to JMU to get into their Dietetic Program
    = got 5 more pounds to lose!!!

(Yes, i am a girl of many interests, and random college experience. LOL)

Good luck to everyone :)
  • blondebaby9890
    Options
    Bump! Going into my third and final year. i gained 3 stone. at university and have lost one of those already this summer! We can do it!!!!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I'm in as well. I'm entering my second year in an intense 2-year double-Masters program -- social work and gerontology. I lost about 20 pounds throughout my first year in the program, so if I can repeat that this year, I will be on top of the world when I graduate!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Double post. Sigh.
  • szczepj
    Options
    This is a great thread! I'm starting my sophomore year soon and really hoping to establish a healthy diet/workout schedule before I head back. I have a kitchen this year and cut down on my meal plan. There's also a gym in my dorm and I have to walk 20 mins to campus for class everyday. Hopefully all this helps me keep the pounds off!

Bola
    NYU-Communications/Pre-law

I cut my meal plan too. I live on campus (after this summer that is because it's easier and the only person I want to live with can only live on campus) so we're required to have a meal plan. Just a few days ago I cut it from the Gold (which is the highest and one I've always had) to the Bronze (the lowest) and am going to take the extra money to a real store for healthier foods!
  • musicmanomar
    Options
    So here's a question for everyone. What makes it hard during college to eat healthy? I know many of you have said finals are challenging and I'm still thinking of tips for that one that'll I'll post later and I'm sure many of you can come up with more, but what else makes it hard?
  • szczepj
    Options
    On campus eating for those who live on campus. There is very little healthy foods. The healthiest would be the apples they sell in the 'store type places' at BGSU and the salad bar they have in some areas. Other than that it's subs, pizza, fried food etc.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Alright!
    University of North Florida here!

Does anyone else have free fitness classes at their university? That's what I do to help lose my weight.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    So here's a question for everyone. What makes it hard during college to eat healthy? I know many of you have said finals are challenging and I'm still thinking of tips for that one that'll I'll post later and I'm sure many of you can come up with more, but what else makes it hard?
    The food that's available on campus makes it difficult.
    There's not enough healthy options here.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    bump for later! Great Idea :)

Artice; University of Memphis
    Nonprofit Development & Administration Major; Junior

I actually lost weight my freshman year, but gained it back b/c I got sick w/ a sinus infection{never had one b4 then} so it took a lot out of me, and the winter break DID not help it at all. So I am here. started at 300pounds.

Feel free to add me if you would like :)
  • be_kris
    be_kris Posts: 47
    Options
    This is great! I'm working full time, and attending college full time currently!! I am done on August 19th 2011, is there anyone else that's currently in school?

I'm in my third and final year of Graphic Design at Fanshawe College in London, ON, CANADA.