College/University OFFICIAL WEIGHT LOSS HELP THREAD

Options

Replies

• dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I originally became more involved on the forums here because I'll be starting school back up in the fall and am a little worried about keeping up my weight loss.

I'm another non-traditional student... I'm a single mom and will be entering my junior year at University of Central Florida (psychology major) after taking 2 years off. I'll be commuting an hour (eek) to campus twice a week and taking 3 classes (and a 4th online). I do have an hour and a half break between 2 of my classes, so I plan to take that time to use the elliptical and eat my lunch. I also belong to an awesome gym that's only 5 minutes from my home. They have a ton of classes that are included in the membership cost. Right now I've been going to yoga at least once a week and am hoping to start Zumba as they should be adding a few classes soon.

Since I'll be living at home and have always been good about packing lunches, I'm not really worried about my eating. My biggest concern is keeping up my exercise. I typically get my workouts in while my daughter is napping/sleeping. I'm assuming a good amount of that time is now going to be taken up by homework and studying. Once I get into the semester I'll have to re-evaluate my exercise goals/schedule to make it work.
  • Soon2BMrsRamos
    Options
    Great idea!! My journey started in 2006 right out of HS, went to the local university for two years, didn't have a high enough gpa for their nursing program and transferred to the community college to get my ASN. When I was at the university I actually lost 15lbs. was back down in the high 130s to mid 140s at times. Well first semester of nursing school in Jan 2009, RUINED all of that! Popped on 40lbs the first semester, and it just steadily kept increase I just never stepped on a scale to know how much each semester. Well I am back at the university getting my BSN and then MSN. I just finished my first semester over the summer and have dropped 9lbs so far. So since April when my highest weight EVER was 208 I have lost 14lbs total and 21 1/4 inches. I live 5 minutes from campus and most of my classes are online so my challange will be to avoid the munchies while studying/listening to lectures. Best of luck to everyone in your weight loss journey and in school!!!

Ashley
    University of South Florida
    Associates of Science in Nursing Bridge to Bachelors of Science in Nursing
  • NicoleLauren17
    NicoleLauren17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Alright!
    University of North Florida here!

Does anyone else have free fitness classes at their university? That's what I do to help lose my weight.

I go to UNF too!
  • ltsax
    ltsax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be a freshman at UNC this fall and wanted to continue my weightloss journey. I am so scared of the freshman 15 since I am already overweight :( . Hopefully I can stay motivated this year and keep up with both my academics and fitness.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Great idea!! My journey started in 2006 right out of HS, went to the local university for two years, didn't have a high enough gpa for their nursing program and transferred to the community college to get my ASN. When I was at the university I actually lost 15lbs. was back down in the high 130s to mid 140s at times. Well first semester of nursing school in Jan 2009, RUINED all of that! Popped on 40lbs the first semester, and it just steadily kept increase I just never stepped on a scale to know how much each semester. Well I am back at the university getting my BSN and then MSN. I just finished my first semester over the summer and have dropped 9lbs so far. So since April when my highest weight EVER was 208 I have lost 14lbs total and 21 1/4 inches. I live 5 minutes from campus and most of my classes are online so my challange will be to avoid the munchies while studying/listening to lectures. Best of luck to everyone in your weight loss journey and in school!!!

Ashley

Ashley,

I just took a tour of USF in July. I'm applying to their masters in exercise science program for next year (after I finish my bachelors here in GA). They have a wonderful gym!!! One of the selling points of their Masters in Exercise Science is that they were promoting how many graduate assistant jobs they have at the gym, so maybe I'll be one of the instructors at the rec center classes next year. ;) Just from what I've seen so far, I highly recommend the on campus fitness center.
  • vthomas8791
    Options
    it's about to be my last semester and i really want to meet my goal before i get a job and all..

Victoria
    Texas A&M University
    Chemistry, Chemical Education
  • vthomas8791
    Options
  • vthomas8791
    Options
    Great idea! We need this.

Jessica
    Bowling Green State University!

are you a bowler? i am too and kinda scared weight loss will affect my bowling haha
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    When does everyone's school year start? I move in August 21st :) starting my last year on the 22nd
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I start back on the 22nd as well! I can't wait. I think on the first day I'm going to bring my bike and go ridig before class around campus to get rid of my jitters. I still have problems sleeping the night before school starts lol
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    I'm a senior in college. It does make it difficult to stay healthy and fit when you are sitting most of the time, either in class or studying. I love to set my college books on my treadmill and studying when I am walking. I also study during floor exercises. Because I work at the college too, I deliver things on foot rather than taking the buggy everywhere. College can be quite healthy, but the stress sometimes leads to weight gain too.
  • ltsax
    ltsax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to move in on the 18th. I really want to learn how to play tennis and participate in fitness classes. My only real concern is the high calorie foods offered in the cafeteria.
  • samulli
    samulli Posts: 8
    Options
    My freshman year I actually lost weight (got down to around 125) without trying just by having to walk to different buildings to have meals and then being too self-conscious to pig out at the dining halls : ) but my sophomore year I bounced up to 149 (I'm not actually sure how long I was at that weight, it was right after holiday break) as a result of having my own kitchen and pantry. Now I'm starting up my third and final year of undergrad at 136. I'm planning on finally taking advantage of my schools fitness center classes, taking tennis as a class, and using my kitchen for good healthy food and not cheesy alfredo pasta!
  • Sanktron
    Options
    I am currently in my second year of grad school working on a masters in school psychology, and my advice is to keep it up after graduation. I took a year off after my bachelors and got a desk job. I gained more in that one year than I had from my freshman year of high school through my college graduation. It was real easy to sit at a desk for 8 hours every day, then go home and sit at my computer, eating mostly fast food.
  • bear2905
    Options
    I'm going into 2nd year law school and my biggest challenge is lugging enough food with me to last the day (along with computer and textbooks), stress = over-eating/poor choices and fitting in exercise. I have noticed a pattern that whenever I start something new (like a new job or a new program - i.e. something fairly stressful), I gain weight. This is what happened to me last year, and I just spent the entire summer losing what I gained. Now I'm back on track and should be okay until I graduate - then I will have to watch myself when I transition again into a job.

I have access to a locker, fridge (although it is quite disgusting) and microwave. Any of you have good snack ideas for stashing in my locker??

My ideal would be to go to the gym BEFORE classes begin but I LOVE sleep and I hate mornings, especially in winter! And I don't drink coffee either!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm a second year university student. For me the biggest difficulty during term time is finding the time to exercise!
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a second year university student. For me the biggest difficulty during term time is finding the time to exercise!

I am dealing with that problem for this upcoming year as well because last year all my classes got done by like 1pm so I would go right after and get them done, but this year I've got a work schedule and honors classes all across the board!

I am going to try to develop a schedule for going to the gym, but some may be morning visits and some evening. Some recommend wearing your workout outfit to your last class and going directly there because you're already dressed.

If I have a lot of classwork to get done or studying especially, I'll bring my notebook and memorize things as I'm exercising! It kills two birds with one stone!
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm going into 2nd year law school and my biggest challenge is lugging enough food with me to last the day (along with computer and textbooks), stress = over-eating/poor choices and fitting in exercise. I have noticed a pattern that whenever I start something new (like a new job or a new program - i.e. something fairly stressful), I gain weight. This is what happened to me last year, and I just spent the entire summer losing what I gained. Now I'm back on track and should be okay until I graduate - then I will have to watch myself when I transition again into a job.

I have access to a locker, fridge (although it is quite disgusting) and microwave. Any of you have good snack ideas for stashing in my locker??

My ideal would be to go to the gym BEFORE classes begin but I LOVE sleep and I hate mornings, especially in winter! And I don't drink coffee either!

Snack ideas = nuts (Almonds!!!!) - but they are proven to reduce stress!, 100 calorie packs (these should be like treats though not 2 or 3 a day but they have cookie crisps or crackers to help you out!, hard boiled eggs (these tend to smell though so I'd avoid opening them IN class haha, maybe while you're between classes!, obviously fruits and veggies - go for blueberries or carrots - things you can have a lot of so they'll last longer! Greek yogurt or low fat yogurt would be a fun energizing snack full of protein to keep in the fridge you have! A few pieces of dark chocolate every once in a while wouldn't be too bad either! PopChips are great too as you can have like 22 of them for 120 calories! Even string cheese is a good snack!
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    I have to move in on the 18th. I really want to learn how to play tennis and participate in fitness classes. My only real concern is the high calorie foods offered in the cafeteria.

My college's cafeteria has the most amazing salad bar. For a reasonable price you can load up on the goodies they offer. It's a great way to eat healthy in college. Maybe your cafeteria will also have a salad bar.

Unfortunately my college's cafeteria also offer the world's best curly fries, which are one of my many weaknesses. Yikes!
  • Soon2BMrsRamos
    Options

Ashley

Ashley,

I just took a tour of USF in July. I'm applying to their masters in exercise science program for next year (after I finish my bachelors here in GA). They have a wonderful gym!!! One of the selling points of their Masters in Exercise Science is that they were promoting how many graduate assistant jobs they have at the gym, so maybe I'll be one of the instructors at the rec center classes next year. ;) Just from what I've seen so far, I highly recommend the on campus fitness center.

I <3 their gym and they just finished their renovation so now we have more equipment, an indoor track, and more group fitness classes. Good luck on your studies and maybe I'll see ya next year :)