bump
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    OMG This is amazing.... seriously!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've been making a crustless pizza in a cake pan for weeks now...I'm going to try this one tonight...wow...thanks for sharing
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    FOR ALL THE HANDFUL OF "SOGGY CRUST" PEOPLE

Since I haven't had this happen, myself, I'm sort of flying blind-- but I love having the opportunity to troubleshoot.

First of all-- it's almost definitely NOT related to what kind or how much cheese you used.

Second of all-- I doubt that it's the eggs.

My (pretty good) guess is that the cauliflower is too wet and the baking process is cooking the outside completely before the inside has been sufficiently dried out.

My suggestion-- and this should work-- is to process the raw cauliflower into rice, as stated-- and then dry it out, some, before mixing in the egg and cheese and baking.

Two suggestions: you can put the bowl of raw "cauli-rice" in the refrigerator, uncovered, overnight. That should do a pretty good job of pulling moisture out-- especially if you stir it, on occasion.

The quicker suggestion is to spread the loose cauli-rice out on a cookie sheet and bake it just long enough to dry things out a bit. Then continue on with the recipe.

It's worth the trouble.

Although I haven't tried freezing them you might consider making up lots of crusts (once you're successful with the first one) and, after they're baked, stack them on a dinner plate with parchment paper in between each one-- and then wrap and freeze the stack. I'm pretty sure that would work-- and you wouldn't have to go through the crust making process each time.

If you want an even FASTER way to calm your pizza craving-- skip the crust and use half a bell pepper, instead. That's my "quick and dirty pizza." I fill a bell pepper half with some pureed tomato, garlic, onion, spinach, mushrooms, fat free mozzarella, some turkey pepperoni and oregano-- and bake that at 275-300 until done.

You get all the pizza flavors for much less effort.

If you're heart is set on having crust, though-- the cauliflower is worth the effort. Just find a way to get rid of the excess moisture before you make the crust and you should be good to go.

Let me know how you guys make out!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I tried to make this after seeing it on Pinterest. Nastiest thing ever! LOL. Mine was definitely soggy and I cooked it longer than it said. It was thin but I don't know what I did wrong. I think it would be ok if I could just get the thing crispy!

See my post, right before this one, and you should have better luck!
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Here's the one I made.

181107_4019535208116_1303311017_n.jpg
  • jd7887
    jd7887 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I may attempt this again...and will not subject the hubby and kids to it until I know that I've got it down. :wink:
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    FOR ALL THE HANDFUL OF "SOGGY CRUST" PEOPLE

Since I haven't had this happen, myself, I'm sort of flying blind-- but I love having the opportunity to troubleshoot.

First of all-- it's almost definitely NOT related to what kind or how much cheese you used.

Second of all-- I doubt that it's the eggs.

My (pretty good) guess is that the cauliflower is too wet and the baking process is cooking the outside completely before the inside has been sufficiently dried out.

My suggestion-- and this should work-- is to process the raw cauliflower into rice, as stated-- and then dry it out, some, before mixing in the egg and cheese and baking.

Two suggestions: you can put the bowl of raw "cauli-rice" in the refrigerator, uncovered, overnight. That should do a pretty good job of pulling moisture out-- especially if you stir it, on occasion.

The quicker suggestion is to spread the loose cauli-rice out on a cookie sheet and bake it just long enough to dry things out a bit. Then continue on with the recipe.

It's worth the trouble.

Although I haven't tried freezing them you might consider making up lots of crusts (once you're successful with the first one) and, after they're baked, stack them on a dinner plate with parchment paper in between each one-- and then wrap and freeze the stack. I'm pretty sure that would work-- and you wouldn't have to go through the crust making process each time.

If you want an even FASTER way to calm your pizza craving-- skip the crust and use half a bell pepper, instead. That's my "quick and dirty pizza." I fill a bell pepper half with some pureed tomato, garlic, onion, spinach, mushrooms, fat free mozzarella, some turkey pepperoni and oregano-- and bake that at 275-300 until done.

You get all the pizza flavors for much less effort.

If you're heart is set on having crust, though-- the cauliflower is worth the effort. Just find a way to get rid of the excess moisture before you make the crust and you should be good to go.

Let me know how you guys make out!

-Chelle

Thanks! I'll try that next.
  • becabean
    becabean Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    this looks great and i love pizza but need to watch my carbs so this will help me loads thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Oh my goodness-- I just realized that at least one of you is COOKING your cauliflower before you try to make your crust!

Cooking cauliflower is great if you're making my uber low-cal MFP-Famous Cauliflower mashed potato recipe (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279170-chelle-s-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes)-- but for the pizza crust you're supposed to use RAW cauliflower!

At the most you should dry it out on a cookie sheet after turning it into "rice" but you should not cook it prior to baking it in crust form.

I hope that helps!

-Chelle
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The entire pizza was 259 calories.

Wow...now that's my kind of pizza! Thanks for posting!
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    looks yummy!