oohhh new study!! too much water is bad for u

Options
12346»

Replies

• bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Truth : Anything above 18 glasses of water daily is potentially deadly. Water poisoning is a real thing.

Also @Mommawarrior -- that's a myth haha. Try editing any page on Wikipedia right now. See how long it takes for it to be approved.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Truth : Anything above 18 glasses of water daily is potentially deadly. Water poisoning is a real thing.

Also @Mommawarrior -- that's a myth haha. Try editing any page on Wikipedia right now. See how long it takes for it to be approved.

There is no approval system. The edits are posted immediately, unless the articles are locked (only when there are high levels of vandalism or when there's an edit war).
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    5 pages, huh? Okay.
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    Well i think it's pretty obvious that too much or too little can be bad for you.

A few years ago there was a news report about a 35 year old woman who was doing either the lighter life or cambridge diet, i can't remember, but the kind where you are on about 400 cals per day given to you through shakes and you are supposed to drink 3 litres of water a day. She drank over 10 litres per day and as a result she died.

However, a client of mine is also in her thirties. She is very fit and active. About a year ago she was in hospital as she was very ill. She was more or less unconscious for 48 hours and soaked in sweat. They didn't really find a cause at the time. Two months ago she had a stroke. The doctors diagnosed her as being dehydrated and losing too much salt. Apparently the previous episode was a warning. She is now, thankfully, fully recovered.

We all have to be sensible and listen to our bodies. If anything seems wrong then consult a doctor. Look after yourselves x
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Fact: I drink at least a gallon of water a day, most the time I drink more than that. Once I reach my gallon I stop keeping track, but I still drink, so I am sure I drink more than 144 oz. which is 18 8oz glasses. Still not dead.

Fact: Took me all of about 10 seconds to get my edit approved. Don't think it is a myth, when I just editing something.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Truth : Anything above 18 glasses of water daily is potentially deadly.

This is absolutely false. As other people have pointed out, the key is to spread water out over a longer period of time. Drinking 18 glasses in 2 hours - yeah, probably not a good idea. Drinking as much as you can for a stupid radio show contest? Bad idea. Drinking 1-2 cups an hour over a 16 hour period... not a big deal. Plenty of people drink upwards of 100, 120 or even 150 oz. or more a day and they're perfectly fine. Just don't drink it all at once! Do you NEED to drink that much? Definitely not. But is it harmful? Only if you drink too much too fast or if your kidneys don't work properly.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Is this thread making anyone else thirsty? LOL I've reached for my water bottle at least 3 times since page 2.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Truth : Anything above 18 glasses of water daily is potentially deadly.

This is absolutely false. As other people have pointed out, the key is to spread water out over a longer period of time. Drinking 18 glasses in 2 hours - yeah, probably not a good idea. Drinking as much as you can for a stupid radio show contest? Bad idea. Drinking 1-2 cups an hour over a 16 hour period... not a big deal. Plenty of people drink upwards of 100, 120 or even 150 oz. or more a day and they're perfectly fine. Just don't drink it all at once! Do you NEED to drink that much? Definitely not. But is it harmful? Only if you drink too much too fast or if your kidneys don't work properly.

Yeah sorry. Correction : In a short amount of time.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    i guess the Grateful Dead were wrong when they said "too much of everything is just enough"
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I GOT IT
    [/quote]

Hey Kappy...I think most people were just responding to the comment as they came across it (as I did as well) and didn't see you had apologized (not that this was warranted) when they did!

I am sorry if you felt ganged up on. I know I didn't mean to make you feel that way!

T
    [/quote]

It's all good! It's been a horrible Monday at work (I"M STRESSING OUT) and I took it out on you guys. Sorry about that. :embarassed: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I hear ya! Monday's are always crazy around here too. I hope it gets better for you <HUGZ>
  • Twasney
    Options
    I love the conversation this article sparked. To be sure, that wasn't a study, it doesn't link to a study and is an article. So I agree with those who are being skeptical. The one thing to realize is even in a correctly run human study, human study are hard to do and often have wrong conclusion. There are moral issue on how far you can go in them. Take the example of cancer studies. They can't have a control in those, you wouldn't tell someone with cancer, you might get a sugar pill! So they don't, they use the standard level of care instead, which can lead to inaccurate results, but doesn't put any one in unnecessary danger. And some studies can be run by interest groups or worse off, are legitimacy studies interrupted by interest groups. That makes good science go under the bus because of politics. Another thing to take in considerations with studies is if you are not in the majority, it may not reflect for you. Studies are structured to be the average person most the time and if you have a certain condition or lifestyle, it may not work for you at all. To be sure, medical studies are good for us, they strengthen our knowledge and understanding about our bodies and health, even if they are not perfect. But the generally rule is talk to your doctor about it! There input would be more personal to your situation and not generalized to the entire country. :)

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get that off my chest.

Excellent Point!
  • Twasney
    Options
    Is this thread making anyone else thirsty? LOL I've reached for my water bottle at least 3 times since page 2.

YUP!!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I trust mother nature! When I'm thirsty, I drink. Wow. What a concept! I've never had a problem dehydrating.

This. totally. No reason to force feed myself water. Lost plenty of weight without it.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Found this & thought of this post:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6310167_drinking-seawater-kill-faster-non_seawater_.html

Water Intoxication

Fresh water is only dangerous in very large quantities.

Fresh water can also disturb the balance of substances inside and outside the cells, but only in very large quantities. This condition is known as hypoatremia, or water intoxication. Though too much salt is deadly, the body does require some salt to survive. Large amounts of fresh water will flush too much salt outside the body.

Hypoatremia Effects

Symptoms include nausea, slurred speech, disorientation and muscle cramps. In extreme cases water intoxication causes seizures, coma, brain damage and death.

Considerations

Water intoxication is rare. It is important to provide your body with enough water each day---don't let fear of water intoxication cause you to dehydrate yourself. Water intoxication most commonly affects athletes who have lost salt through sweat. Drinking seawater is dangerous. Swallowing a little seawater at the beach will not kill you, but you should never deliberately drink salt water.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    This thread is TL;DR.

However, this is the biggest load of BS i've ever read.

Flush bacteria out of your kidney's?!?! HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

To the author of the article:
    what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

If you had bacteria in your kidneys you'd be in big trouble and have a massive kidney infection. Drinking water wouldn't help you.