phentermine

Options
I've been a member here for a few years..off and on.. I lost about 35 lbs and gained it all back :(. I've recently come to find out its because I have PCOS which can cause you to gain and also make it almost impossible to lose! So after getting the OK from my gyn and PCP i have decided to start phentermine! My doctors think it would be a great boost for my weight loss. I have heard many success stories and understand I MUST continue a healthy lifestyle once im off it. I plan on only using it for 3 months. Not a day longer! Anyone have any advice or info that will help me get the maximum benefit out of these pills?! Success stories are always great to hear as well!! I am so excited to begin a new weight loss journey, now knowing why theas gaining all the weight and not losing :(. I wont lie.. the extra " help" is also extra motivating! Lol.. thanks for reading!

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm interested to see the responses.
    I thought Phentermine was a watered-down version of speed...?
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump, im interested as well.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Oh god! Lol.. I wouldn't be suprised if it is! I know it really supresses your appetite and gives you lots of energy! :/ my dr told me to be careful because its very habit forming.. which is why the 3 month limit!

• vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I took it for a while and it made me crazy moody :( I lost wieght but I was angry 24/7 and mean. I was also told that over long (like years and years) term use it can cause SERIOUS medical problems. Im just saying...
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine once a day. In fact I only take 1/2 a pill at lunch time. While phentermine can be dangerous, as long as you're under a Dr's care & using it properly I see no harm in it. It is also a good boost to help you. I would not take it without a Dr's prescription & knowing that it is ok for me to take though.

I also think that while taking it you have to know that it is not a "magic" pill that will keep it off once you go off of it. You have to learn to eat healthier, excersize & still control your portions. I know that alot of people here will put people down for using it & I get what they're saying to an extent, but I also know that to make it work you have to do the work to make a lifestyle change.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh god! Lol.. I wouldn't be suprised if it is! I know it really supresses your appetite and gives you lots of energy! :/ my dr told me to be careful because its very habit forming.. which is why the 3 month limit!

No wonder ! I took them some years back and I remmber getting a huge buzz from them .
    Had me bouncing wall to wall...lol
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    What would you like to know? Ask me some specific questions (speaking as a PharmD student).
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but I've seen it on here before. What is PCOS? (I think that's what it was).

Also, do you need a prescription for that? Just curious :)
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's the same type of chemical as speed. I tried it a couple of years ago for a couple of months. Bad side: insomnia and sometimes heart palpitations and dry mouth. Good side: almost no appetite, more energy. My advice to get the most out of it is to eat regularly even when you're not hungry, don't starve yourself, drink heaps of water (avoid caffeine!!), and do lots of exercise. I didn't lose that much on it, but a couple of my friends found it really great. Makes you a bit cranky though! :)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine about 6 years ago, got to my goal weight (last 10 pounds w/o the pills) and then I quit exercising and quit dieting...gained it all back plus about 20 pounds.

I did phentermine again last year, lost 40 of the 75 pounds in about 3 months (40 pounds got me in the top end of normal BMI). I did good w/ food, but I quit exercising. Gained 10 pounds back over about 12 months. Now I have started back up w/ diary/exercise and have gotten that 10 pounds (+ some) back off and trying to get the last bits off on my own.

I think it was only successful the second time because my dr had me do MFP and a 1200 calorie diet. The first round, I didn't do either. Now I KNOW what to eat, the pills just made it easier for my body to adjust to the portions.

It only made me jittery for 3 days, then I didn't notice that I even took it. When I quit taking it, it didn't cause any ill effects either. I think it was great, but you should only take it if you are medically obese...not just because you want to lose 10-20 pounds to get to a size 3.
  • danner3
    danner3 Posts: 2
    Options
    tried the phentermine lost 18 lbs down to my 200 i weigh now. Ive been working out for 3 months now ( off the pills) and i see change, only i still weigh 200. now im on fitness pal learning to count my calories. so if you keep exerciseing and eating right afterwards. IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I FELT i needed that little boost. and ive maintained weight.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's the same type of chemical as speed. I tried it a couple of years ago for a couple of months. Bad side: insomnia and sometimes heart palpitations and dry mouth. Good side: almost no appetite, more energy. My advice to get the most out of it is to eat regularly even when you're not hungry, don't starve yourself, drink heaps of water (avoid caffeine!!), and do lots of exercise. I didn't lose that much on it, but a couple of my friends found it really great. Makes you a bit cranky though! :)

With the heart palpatations...couldn't that be very dangerous? Just a questions...because I really don't know.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have taken it AKA Adipex. It worked and worked quick for me. I lost 10 lbs the first 3-4 weeks and then another 10 in the second month. You have to make sure you take vitamins and eat even though you may not be hungry. I didn't and my hair started to fall out. The other thing is if you do not keep up with healthy eating you will gain all your weight back. I gained 14 of the 20lbs I lost back which is why I am here now. Good luck and be careful!
  • jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been a member here for a few years..off and on.. I lost about 35 lbs and gained it all back :(. I've recently come to find out its because I have PCOS which can cause you to gain and also make it almost impossible to lose! So after getting the OK from my gyn and PCP i have decided to start phentermine! My doctors think it would be a great boost for my weight loss. I have heard many success stories and understand I MUST continue a healthy lifestyle once im off it. I plan on only using it for 3 months. Not a day longer! Anyone have any advice or info that will help me get the maximum benefit out of these pills?! Success stories are always great to hear as well!! I am so excited to begin a new weight loss journey, now knowing why theas gaining all the weight and not losing :(. I wont lie.. the extra " help" is also extra motivating! Lol.. thanks for reading!

be VERY careful with this drug. I was on it as well. it's very addictive, and dangerous. you need to make sure to force yourself to eat. I have PCOS as well, but my doctor put me on metformin. I hated the way phen made me feel, but it may treat you differently. feel free to message me with any questions!
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    And I had insomnia, but tons of energy.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I have been taking it for just under a month. It definitely helps with suppressing your appetite, but I don't know about giving you any extra energy. 2 of the side effects are extreme thirst and leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I have noticed both of these. The first 2 days were awful because I drank so much water I couldn't stay out of the bathroom and barely got any sleep. I have adjust to all of that and lost 11 pounds so far. It wasn't easy - it was hard work. I have had to exercise and eat right which is what I want to do because I want to do that when the medicine is gone. My doctor will also only allow 3 months on it with close monitoring of your blood pressure and heart rate. I went in for a check up today and mine were perfect. I think it helps with the hunger so that you can learn to eat smaller portions - so far so good for me.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i tried it 4 years ago it worked for like three weeks and then it just........................stop. we have a diet "doctor" who gives it out like candy. i have a women on my job who puts it in water! and sips it all day and she no bigger then me.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I lost about 35 lbs and gained it all back :(

Once I reach my goal I plan to continue to use MFP. I am sure that if I don't my weight will slowly creep back up and I will not let that happen.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Im impressed the haters havent invaded yet!

Ok so Im thinking about saving this in a document so I can copy it at some point. Im a phentermine supporter :)

I have used it 3 times. 2 with success, once without. The time I used it without success was my own fault, I didnt take it consistently and ate like crap, hence the failure. Since it supreses your appetite it is perfectly possible to lose while eating bad foods, I lost 15 lbs in 2 months, but gained it right back. Now the good times, first time I ever took it I lost 60 lbs in 3 months, I kept it off for 3 years including a pregnancy. second round lost 43 lbs in 3 months and have continued to lose without it. YES CONTINUED TO LOSE! Its a fantastic AIDE to help suppress your appetite and cravings while learning to eat smaller portions and excercsie more.

For the one who asked about heart palpatations. You can not be prescribed phentermine if you have a heart condition, but you shouldnt take ANY diet pills if you have a heart condition. And yes it can cause this. I PING off the walls when I take it, heaven forbid I drink caffeine while on it (Im usually forbidden form LOOKING at a coca cola while taking it) I am so wound up I cant process thoughts or speak fast enough and Im practically bouncing in place. You MUST MUST MUST drink enough water while on it to prevent insomnia. My poor uncle prescribed it to me first while I was living with him and working for him and the entire house was cleaned and I was up till 3 am, and fine at work the next day, I think he made me drink double my weight in water to make me sleep. Constipation was my HUGE side effect. Senacot is a huge help for this but also plenty of fruits and veggies.

When you are having a hard time getting your cals consider a protein shake smoothie (protein powder with juice fruit yogurt) easy 400 cals that goes down easily. And yes you MUST take a multivitamin. I can only take prenatals so imagine how my shelf looked? Phentermine, Birth control, Prenatal vitamins.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. it will probably def make me moody.. since I already am lol!

I took it for a while and it made me crazy moody :( I lost wieght but I was angry 24/7 and mean. I was also told that over long (like years and years) term use it can cause SERIOUS medical problems. Im just saying...