phentermine

Options

Replies

• MiMaGi012
    Options
    Hello! I kind of have the opposite in eating habits as I do not eat enough or very well! The past six months I have been feeling like total crap...legs aching, sleepy ALL the time, absolutely no energy, shortness of breath, mild memory loss, and the past month some heart palps, elevated BP, etc. etc.. Needless to say, I finally went to a doc to find out what was going on! After a bunch of tests...most of my syptoms were attributed to being overweight (232 lbs.), and a severe deficiency in Vit. D, and I found out I am insulin resistant! I did not go to the docs to find an easy way to lose weight but he has now put me on Metformin 1,000mg/day, Phentermine 37.5 mg, vit D 50,000/wk, and a multi-vitamin, and HCTZ. Today is my first day, and I already feel an energy boost! WOW! No nervouseness or jitteryness but very pumped! I don't intend to stay on all these meds as i have NEVER taken ANY medication for anything in my life except prenatals when I was prego. I guess I'm just interested in following anyone else who is in a similar situation as me? My doc told me that I have to eat at least 1400 cal/day and excerise at least 1 hour 4 to 5x/week...today is also my first day I will be heading to the gym!
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine and have been since Oct. 14th. I'm under a doctors care and had to go through numerous stress tests before being approved to take it. I have never felt jittery or 'cracked out' while taking it. It does surpress my appetite and gives me horrible cotton mouth (good for water intake). I have lost 50 lbs since Oct. 14th. I see my doctor every 3 weeks for a weigh in and to monitor blood pressure and heart rate. It's not a magic pill, but it does help just start weight loss, and for me it really motivated me to eat healthy and exercise because I finally started seeing the scale move down. Just try it, your heart will not explode and you're not taking crack......lol. The stigma behind this drug amuses me.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A previous poster stated 'once I went back to my old ways' I gained the weight back. Bad eating habits is one of the main reasons we are all here in the first place. I don't understand the mentallity of people losing weight, and then magically you can go back to eating cheeseburgers everyday and keep it off. The drug didn't fail you, you failed yourself.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yep...I took it with dr order to start on MFP to help change my lifestyle in order to keep the weight off. Once I got below 'obese' status, I was removed from the pills with the expectation to lose the rest of the weight on my own via lifestyle changes + exercise. You have to change or it will come back.

And some people have side effects...that doesn't mean that the pill is evil and dr's are stupid, it means you shouldn't take the pill (not that everyone shouldn't take the pill). I had zero side effects...I didn't get high...I didn't get aggressive...I didn't get crazy...
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    heard great things about it
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you gained all the weight back before, then why look for an easy fix? It is just going to make it harder the second time.
    Healthy diet and exercise wins every time. Lifestyle change :grumble:
  • michelerich77
    michelerich77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I took it.. And its COMPLETE SPEED... Not to mention, it is soo addicting, and once your off it, HELLO WEIGHT.. No matter how great of a calorie intake your on, YOU WILL GAIN IT BACK.. Your really not taking in any calories while on it, so what you take in maybe 500, and then you go to 1600 after 3 months? You have more than doubled your calories, and trust me, you gain it back... Its a harsh drug, and I say DRUG, because its not a medicine.. Its a horrible thing to be on.. Your family members will hurt and so will you, or you could just throw yourself in a cardiac arrest because your hearts pounding out of your chest.. AND then theres renal failure...

Yeah loosing weight ISNT that important to me.. I would rather suffer fat than to suffer DEAD....
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and do not like it.
    I did not have success like I have on my own.
    It made me feel like I was on speed for sure.
  • loserforlife
    Options
    I took it and it does weaken the heart I also lost somehair
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh please...some of you are rediculous! Of course you failed and felt like crap if you weren't eating anything (or only 500-700 calories/day)! Your doctor should've guided you more (or better). And how does it weaken the heart?

By the way, the hair loss was due to low protein intake, not the medication.

You shouldn't use it to get to 500 calories a day! You should use it to help you be able to be satisfied at 1200 calories a day, then you come off of it after your body has enough time to adjust to that caloric and food amount. You will still lose weight quickly at first just going down to a HEALTHY calorie intake level.

To successfully use phentermine, you must use it to help you change to a healthy lifestyle...it isn't a magic pill. And, if it does pep you up too much or makes you feel bad, or whatever, talk to your doctor about alternatives (like only take 1/2 pill).
  • parrott06
    Options
    amen! As an abuser of this drug in the past I totally agree. If you're using it to only eat 500-700 cals a day you're an abuser and it will not work! I'm on it again and I'm actually eating the right foods and actually eating so it will work long term. Of course the weight isn't coming off as fast, but hopefully I can keep it off this time!
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started it last May at 197 lbs, under my doctor's supervision. At first I could feel the effects quite strongly, not the side effects, but the good stuff. I had more energy and was able to begin changing my eating habits. I lost 10 lbs in 2 months, but I was still struggling in finding a way to work out on a regular basis (I work full time and have a toddler at home), something I knew I needed to be successful in getting down to my initial goal weight of 160. My doctor recommended I purchase a workout video and try doing it in the mornings, so I bought Jillian Michaels 30 DS video at Walmart and started doing it 4 times a week in the mornings before taking a shower. Once I added regular exercise into the equation not only was I losing weight but I could feel my body getting stronger and my size getting smaller. Then when I found MFP last September it has helped me even more with my appetite and giving me a clear guide.

I am still on Phentermine, but am planning on making my current bottle my last. I am now down to 155 and have changed my goal to 145. I'm not worried about gaining all the weight back once I stop the drug because I don't think Phentermine is the reason I lost it. I lost it because I changed my eating habits and started working out regularly. Phentermine gave me the initial boost I needed, it was a catalyst for many more important lifestyle changes. As long as I stick with those lifestyle changes post phentermine, and the rest of my life, I know I can maintain my new healthy body. Oh and I have hypothyroidism was also a major handicap in the past for losing weight, not now! It's ultimately your body and different people are going to have different reactions to the drug, that's the truth of most drugs. If you use it as a catalyst to healthy lifestyle changes and you have a doctor's supervision I think you're doing great and I hope you have the same success I've found!
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I started on it Sunday and have not had any side effects. I have taken it before with great results even though I didnt change anything. I still ate what I wanted and didnt exercise or drink water. I lost 13 pounds the first month, 5 pounds the second month and stayed the same on the third month. (This was a few years back.) Then in 2002/2003, I didnt do anything but walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes daily and drink water and I lost 40+ pounds with no pill, no diet, nothing but exercise and water. I am currently at the highest weight I have ever been in my life. I asked my doctor to let me try it one more time just as a boost to get me started. He will only let me take it 3 months and I have to go in for a checkup every 30 days. Looking at my food journal, I have realized that it is the food I eat, not the amounts that are causing me to gain weight. I dont eat much at all, but what I do eat is very high calorie. I dont plan to stay on the phentermine long term and only plan to use it to get me started. I look back on all the time I have wasted, how I didnt try to change my eating habits, etc. and I think my biggest asset this time is going to be my determination. I have read that some people here view the phentermine as cheating and if so... well, then I guess I am a cheater. I only know that with the results I had in the past without changing a thing, it makes me wonder how my results will be now that I am making the effort I need to make the right decisions with my food choices and that I need to GET UP AND MOVE! Working from home, I tend to spend almost all of my hours awake sitting at my computer, which isnt good.....
  • sambustem
    Options
    I took it 6 years ago for a year - NOT under Dr's care. My trainer knew someone who had a website to get it from. I LOVED it!! I had NO side effects besides finding something that helped me with appetite control and lose weight! I lost 130 lbs. I also was hooked on it - and the website was shut down, so I resorted to black market and just ended up spending A LOT of money and getting crappy replicas - safe...no - but I wanted it. Then I found little clinics popping up that offered it along with B12 shots, so I went to 2 different ones, but the pills NEVER had the same effect the original ones did. I lost 10 lbs, but it was getting WAY too expensive. Now I've gained a lot of it back (the original 130lbs) and WISH I could get the good stuff again. Sometimes you just need that push to get you going and remember what its like to lose more than 2lbs here and there, ya know??? Good luck to you.
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    I'm taking it as well. I just began taking it last week and between exercise and eating pretty healthy (except for the few small splurges, lol) I've lost 2.5 lbs so far. My ticker doesn't show it bc I was about 10 lbs lighter than now when I started. I get a little groggy in the evenings if taken too early in the day.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but I've seen it on here before. What is PCOS? (I think that's what it was).

Also, do you need a prescription for that? Just curious :)

PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's a nasty problem to have. I've been dealing with it since I was sixteen, and I'll be 35yrs on Friday. Here is a link some more info on the subject: http://www.medicinenet.com/polycystic_ovary/article.htm It's a growing problem amongst women of childbearing age, so it might be good to read up on it...especially since obesity/difficulty losing weight is such a big part of it.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just a side note - be sure to take it under a doctor's care with a legit prescription. This along with Adipex/Bontril can cause a false positive on drug tests. I know with the company I work for, as long as you have a legit prescription from a physician, it's fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're looking for a long term solution from a short term fix. Instead of waiting 3 months to adopt a healthy lifestyle, start today and forget the drugs.
  • RoxRae
    RoxRae Posts: 60
    Options
    I've been a member here for a few years..off and on.. I lost about 35 lbs and gained it all back :(. I've recently come to find out its because I have PCOS which can cause you to gain and also make it almost impossible to lose! So after getting the OK from my gyn and PCP i have decided to start phentermine! My doctors think it would be a great boost for my weight loss. I have heard many success stories and understand I MUST continue a healthy lifestyle once im off it. I plan on only using it for 3 months. Not a day longer! Anyone have any advice or info that will help me get the maximum benefit out of these pills?! Success stories are always great to hear as well!! I am so excited to begin a new weight loss journey, now knowing why theas gaining all the weight and not losing :(. I wont lie.. the extra " help" is also extra motivating! Lol.. thanks for reading!

I used phentermine several times... I lost HUGE amounts of weight both times, however, I did gain it all back plus some. The reason this stuff works is two fold... it is an appetitie suppressant as well as stimulating your metabolism (that's the speed part). If your doctors have approved it, I guess they must think it's ok, I'm just afraid for anyone to use drugs to lose weight. In my experience, it always comes back. You can continue to eat right and exercise, but, once those pills are gone, you will be hungry again and your metabolism will slow. Just be careful! (((((((hugs)))))))
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your meth!!