phentermine

Options

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The key thing to take from this:

A pill will only give you temporary assistance to get what could be only temporary results, but can aid in lifelong changes...but you have to do lifestyle changes in order to get there.

Only do under guidance of physician...eat well...use MFP...exercise... (my physician had me do a stress test and a transthoracic echocardiogram before I was allowed to get the medication)
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    This is my goal and seems like I went into this with tbe right idea! Yay! I didn't have a stress test but I did have an EKG and an echo. Both came out perfect! I think im good to go :) how long after you start taking them do you feel the energy and no appetite??

The key thing to take from this:

A pill will only give you temporary assistance to get what could be only temporary results, but can aid in lifelong changes...but you have to do lifestyle changes in order to get there.

Only do under guidance of physician...eat well...use MFP...exercise... (my physician had me do a stress test and a transthoracic echocardiogram before I was allowed to get the medication)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I would NOT recommend using phentermine. My doc put me on it and it was AWFUL. It made me feel like I was high, my heart raced, I got clammy palms, sweating, couldn't sleep no matter how early in the day I took it. It was terrible.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it last summer. She would only give me 3 months worth, but she also said I could cut the pills in half to take them longer. I did that. I never had any adverse side effects. Even when the pills ran out, I worried if I had become even a tiny bit dependent. Nothing. I felt the same after. Granted, I'm hungrier more often now, as the pills killed the hunger pangs. But I'm continuing to lose, and I really felt that they helped kick start the losing process.

p.s. I do remember one side effect now. Trouble sleeping. I really had to remember to take the pill first thing in the morning, or it might cause insomnia. But I never felt very tired, even after a night of not sleeping. So I felt OK...even though I couldn't sleep a whole lot, it helped me not feel tired.
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Omg! Im so sorry you had such a negative experience! But, with everything, everyone has a different experience.. I really hope I have a positive one! The no sleep thing.. I guess ill have to see how it is for me and figure out tge best time for me to take it

I would NOT recommend using phentermine. My doc put me on it and it was AWFUL. It made me feel like I was high, my heart raced, I got clammy palms, sweating, couldn't sleep no matter how early in the day I took it. It was terrible.
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    I am looking for a kick start! I don't want to be dependant on it :/ that's scary! The sleep thing seems to be the biggest problem! Hmmm...I was thinking about talking to my dr about starting on half a pill

My doctor put me on it last summer. She would only give me 3 months worth, but she also said I could cut the pills in half to take them longer. I did that. I never had any adverse side effects. Even when the pills ran out, I worried if I had become even a tiny bit dependent. Nothing. I felt the same after. Granted, I'm hungrier more often now, as the pills killed the hunger pangs. But I'm continuing to lose, and I really felt that they helped kick start the losing process.

p.s. I do remember one side effect now. Trouble sleeping. I really had to remember to take the pill first thing in the morning, or it might cause insomnia. But I never felt very tired, even after a night of not sleeping. So I felt OK...even though I couldn't sleep a whole lot, it helped me not feel tired.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is my goal and seems like I went into this with tbe right idea! Yay! I didn't have a stress test but I did have an EKG and an echo. Both came out perfect! I think im good to go :) how long after you start taking them do you feel the energy and no appetite??

I think maybe you are misunderstanding some of us who have mentioned heart damage.
    Most of the people who used this drug had perfectly healthy hearts *before* taking it. Stress tests, EKGs, echos, MRI, CT, etc.. all would have come back completely clear and showing a healthy ticker.
    It was the use of this pill that CAUSED the heart damage (specifically the heart valves).

I don't recommend the drug, but it's certainly your choice if you decide to take it or not. My concern is that you are not going into the decision fully educated because you are so impatient to lose weight, and want to do so quickly.
    I don't just spend my time on the internet hating on phentermine users. You have kids and I'm sure they want a healthy mommy who didn't acquire heart problems due to a crash diet at age 23. I have a son near your age and I'd be so sad if he developed a heart valve problem at such a young age because he wanted to lose weight the fast way instead of the healthy way. People who come across as "haters" are often just people who already got burnt and are trying to help others keep their hand out of the fire.
    If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother even responding to this forum thread.

You seem very concerned about things like loss of appetite and insomnia and drinking enough water, but you seem to be ignoring all the comments from people who have the lived experience of permanent organ damage or people who regained all the weight twice-fold as soon as going off the pill.

Again, do what you please with your own body, but part of being 'healthy' is developing sustainable eating and fitness habits, caring for your internal organs, improving instead of decreasing your longevity and life expectancy, and making educated thought-out decisions.

I do wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey and hope that you choose the healthiest manner to do so. (Sorry for the lecture.)
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    No, I 100% understand that it happened AFTER. I don't know what to say about it. I am so sorry for those it jappened to and pray it doesn't happen to me. I have actually done a lot of research on it and honestly, from whar I have learned.. people who failed went about it thinking its a " magic pill" like some say.. and those who hurt their health , most had an undetected underlying condition( not saying I don't) but, I want to try for myself like you and others did. I know the risks, I have gone through pros and cons and I am under a doctors supervision with it.. and he has been my dr for years! I trust that he feels this will benefit me more than hurt. I am not looking for quick eright loss.. just a boost.. I know it takws time.. I've been through this before.. unfortunately I have a medical condition that 2 of my doctors told me is making it pretty much impossible to lise. If I eat right and exercise, im most likely to maintain.. I do not want to maintain at 205lbs when I shouls be 120! Again, thia is not a crash diet.. im using it as a boost and have put a time limit on how long I will use it.. I will eat right and exercise regularly on it.. and continue once I stop taking it.. I totally understand your concern from your experience and im glad you shared! I like to be aware of the positive and negatives of it! But, to tell someone they are uneducated and just looking for a quick fix is a little rude.. tnis pill is a last resort for me and while I don't have the personal experience from it, I am not just jumping into it and expecting a miracle.. and im very concerned about my health, I don't know about your experience or your doctor but I trust mine and have faith in him that ill be ok.. and many people have been ok! People have had bad experience on any kind of medication..all I can do is research and learn, be as prepared as possible, and be confident that both my doctors know what they are doing!

I think maybe you are misunderstanding some of us who have mentioned heart damage.
    Most of the people who used this drug had perfectly healthy hearts *before* taking it. Stress tests, EKGs, echos, MRI, CT, etc.. all would have come back completely clear and showing a healthy ticker.
    It was the use of this pill that CAUSED the heart damage (specifically the heart valves).

I don't recommend the drug, but it's certainly your choice if you decide to take it or not. My concern is that you are not going into the decision fully educated because you are so impatient to lose weight, and want to do so quickly.
    I don't just spend my time on the internet hating on phentermine users. You have kids and I'm sure they want a healthy mommy who didn't acquire heart problems due to a crash diet at age 23. I have a son near your age and I'd be so sad if he developed a heart valve problem at such a young age because he wanted to lose weight the fast way instead of the healthy way. People who come across as "haters" are often just people who already got burnt and are trying to help others keep their hand out of the fire.
    If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother even responding to this forum thread.

You seem very concerned about things like loss of appetite and insomnia and drinking enough water, but you seem to be ignoring all the comments from people who have the lived experience of permanent organ damage or people who regained all the weight twice-fold as soon as going off the pill.

Again, do what you please with your own body, but part of being 'healthy' is developing sustainable eating and fitness habits, caring for your internal organs, improving instead of decreasing your longevity and life expectancy, and making educated thought-out decisions.

I do wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey and hope that you choose the healthiest manner to do so. (Sorry for the lecture.)
  • uncurvymotivation
    Options
    Hello, I'm taking 20MG of it twice daily along with 5HTP. I dont have many side affects aside from dry mouth at times. It is very helpful but at the same time I do have to force myself to eat because I have no appetite. With the program I'm on I have to eat up to 1300 calories a day, and for the most part I don't get there usually I am around 800-1100 calories. If anyone has any advice on what kind of diet to have while on these medications please do help :) Thanks
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I take OxyElite Pro and I lost 32.8lbs in 8 weeks. Phentermine gave me the shakes and ran up my blood pressure. The OxyElite pro has threads here and you can get it at GNC.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's good that you plan on only using it for 3 months. It does become addicting over the long term, and you become tolerant to it (which may cause patients to want to up their dose, which is a cycle of tolerance and addiction).

As per any weight loss regime, this is most effective when combined with healthy diet (ie. 2 fruits 5 veg, legumes, carbs, protein, all in moderation) & exercise.

edit: I haven't personally used it, but this is what I've learnt as a pharmacy student.
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I took it last year and lost 30 lbs, then I stopped and kept the weight off. I've been taking it for about 2 months now and haven't really noticed much change. I think you build up a tolerance to it and it gets to a point where it doesn't work anymore. I am stopping when my pills are gone now.

Something kinda scary abou it as a side note...

I had to take a drug test for a new job and I had a false positive for PCP on the on-site drug screen. It had to be sent off for a more complete test. I was freaking out!!! I knew I had never done PCP in my life so it had to be false-positive but it still scared me.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I took it last year and lost 30 lbs, then I stopped and kept the weight off. I've been taking it for about 2 months now and haven't really noticed much change. I think you build up a tolerance to it and it gets to a point where it doesn't work anymore. I am stopping when my pills are gone now.

I had to take a drug test for a new job and I had a false positive for PCP on the on-site drug screen. It had to be sent off for a more complete test. I was freaking out!!! I knew I had never done PCP in my life so it had to be false-positive but it still scared me.

the place administering the test should have asked you if you take any prescribed or OTC medications. St Johns wort (OTC) can give you a false positive for narcotics if you are near the max dose. This is part of why its very important to ALWAYS answer that question truthfully, even if you dont want to admit you are on a "diet medication"
  • maries2029
    maries2029 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been taking phentermine since 23 June 11 and have lost about 10 lbs. A co-worker had recommended it to myself and a few other coworkers. She had been on it for 2 months and lost 20 lbs. I had the extremely high feeling the first day along with my co-workers. I wasn't sure if I should stay on it but I continued to take it. I was extremely thirsty initially and I still drink alot of water. If you are going to take this be very careful with the amount of time that you spend outside in the sun. I had the unfortunate experience of suffering heat exhaustion due to drinking too much water when I was working in my yard which flushed out all electrolytes in my body and landed myself in the ER. Needless to say I know better now. I also cut the 37.5 pill down to half per day and honestly I don't really notice a difference in taking the whole pill versus the half. I was hoping to see more weight come off as I am 5 ft 6in and my starting weight was 204lbs. I'm not sure how much longer I will remain on this drug. It has definetly helped me to learn to watch what I eat and pay attention to proportions which is something I lacked before. Hopefully with a little more exercise added to my plan I can take off the rest of the weight on my own and keep it off.
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

the place administering the test should have asked you if you take any prescribed or OTC medications. St Johns wort (OTC) can give you a false positive for narcotics if you are near the max dose. This is part of why its very important to ALWAYS answer that question truthfully, even if you dont want to admit you are on a "diet medication"

They did tell me and I was honest with them about medications that I took.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

They did tell me and I was honest with them about medications that I took.
    hmm then the only thing I can figure is because it was on-site it was just an MA, or someone not professionally trained reading them. Everything should be ruled out with a more comprehensive test. I was warned about that when I started work at a hospital, since I was on phentermine they simply did a more extensive test to begin with. As long as you admitted it youll be fine
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Totally watered down speed. Not as addicting, but coming from someone who knows, it's quite the ride. You will be thirsty, maybe jittery and may have dry/bad breath. Sure I lost...but the moment I went back to my old ways, it came back on and then some. Proceed with caution.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any advice on what kind of diet to have while on these medications please do help :) Thanks
    At the same time my doctor prescribed it, she told me to cut out sugar and white flour and increase my whole grains.
  • greensnow
    greensnow Posts: 73
    Options
    I took it for a grand total of two weeks and I was CRAAAAZY. lol. It definitely worked - I was not hungry at all but I had absolutely every side effect in the book.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used it about 6 years ago , I lost about 30kgs on it. I got addicted to it I was on it for a year . It changed who I was when on it, I was moody, and agressive .when I took myself off it I had no energy for ages it Was horrible. I don't recommend it at all. I realy don't even think Drs should still b handing it out. Very nasty stuff and 99% off people gain it back . So what's the point of putting your body through it. Good luck.