Just a thought

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Ok, I have an idea for all of who have been here for so long. There are a lot of people joining day after day, which is wonderful. Mike has provided us with an amazing source. I know that it has changed my life. I have learned so much and have met so many people that I am proud to call friends.
May be for all of us who are getting burned out-some topics over and over-not saying bad about newbies-just we have been here so long that maybe who should have a veterns topic. For those who have been here for 6 months or more. It allows us to bring up things that are becoming a challange after being on the lifestyle change for so long-for us to talk about the stories we know about one another. Not isolating others, but just having the opportunity to continue the support that we have been giving-know and understanding what we need to do without having to read through the posts that are repeats.
Just a thought.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have an idea for all of who have been here for so long. There are a lot of people joining day after day, which is wonderful. Mike has provided us with an amazing source. I know that it has changed my life. I have learned so much and have met so many people that I am proud to call friends.
    May be for all of us who are getting burned out-some topics over and over-not saying bad about newbies-just we have been here so long that maybe who should have a veterns topic. For those who have been here for 6 months or more. It allows us to bring up things that are becoming a challange after being on the lifestyle change for so long-for us to talk about the stories we know about one another. Not isolating others, but just having the opportunity to continue the support that we have been giving-know and understanding what we need to do without having to read through the posts that are repeats.
    Just a thought.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.

maybe I'm a bit confused on your post? So you're saying that those that are burned out on MFP start a thread or something talking about : "the stories we know about one another". Isn't that what's going on now?:huh:

I do understand the point you made on discussing maintance etc. when folks have reached that and perhaps a thread on that.... that's what you mean right?

I think I can't really speak for any of this because I'm far from burned on out on MFP and am quite enjoying my buds here....and clicking along quite nicely....

Oh one last thought...so if all the 'veterans (how would that be determined exactly?:yawn: ) you mentioned no longer respond to threads from new folks.......ahhhhhhhhh that would leave MFP where?:laugh: :wink: :drinker:

New folks is what's keeping MFP alive and vibrant:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: We LOVE our new folks!!:heart: They bring LIFE to this site, they will be what continues MFP into the future!:smile:

I don't mind helping others at all!.....in fact I love to share info I learn:flowerforyou: .....I don't think I'm a person that gets burned out too easily helping others....can't imagine feeling burned out even as I'm here for some time...

Others helped me and continue to.... so I have nothing but positive thoughts on paying it forward when someone asks something...even if it's the 50th person that asks it....we were all new once...I mean DAY 1 new.:drinker:

So isn't it the least we can do is pass on that knowledge to those who ask questions? I think sometimes it seems folks seem to forget we all started out as newbies!:laugh:

well, ahh good luck with your idea....I do hope it gets a positive spin on it....:drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.

maybe I'm a bit confused on your post? So you're saying that those that are burned out on MFP start a thread or something talking about : "the stories we know about one another". Isn't that what's going on now?:huh:

I do understand the point you made on discussing maintance etc. when folks have reached that and perhaps a thread on that.... that's what you mean right?

But ...........ok, I don't understand quite where you're coming from......my bad....I'll check another thread out:laugh: :flowerforyou:

Hope the idea works for those of you ..good luck:drinker:

I think I can't really speak for any of this because I'm far from burned on out on MFP and am quite enjoying my buds here....and clicking along quite nicely....

Oh one last thought...so if all the 'veterans (how would that be determined exactly?) you mentioned no longer respond to threads from new folks.......ahhhhhhhhh that would leave MFP where?:laugh: :wink: :drinker:

I don't mind helping others.....in fact I love to share info I learn.....I don't think I'm a person that gets burned out to easily helping others....can't imagine feeling burned out even as I'm here for some time...

Others helped me and continue to.... so I have nothing but positive thoughts on paying it forward when someone asks something...even if it's the 50th person that asks it....we were all new once...I mean DAY 1 new.:drinker:

I don't think she's saying we should leave the boards completely, just that a new topic for veterans would be cool. A veteran would simply be anyone who's been at this awhile and feels that they'd like to post there... it's not like there'd be a doorman checking IDs:laugh: Anyone could post. Things to be discussed: maintenance, relapses, past experiences, etc. Just like... there's a topic for success stories and another for introductions. I still like answering questions when I feel like I can help, but I do find it a bit much when some of the same questions are asked and answered all on the recent post boards.

I like the idea, maybe it could be fit in with success stories though? Like a Success Stories/Veterans topic? :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I see where you're coming from...I've been experiencing burn out lately big time...and have considered deactivating...but I know I'd be lost without my food and exercise journal...I just don't frequent the boards as much...I watch them and respond when I feel compelled to, but I know i'm not posting nearly as often as I used to...so I say when something comes up that you are struggling with, post away girlfriend! I'll read it and reply if I have some insight :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Just a thought.

But ...........ok, I don't understand quite where you're coming from......my bad....I'll check another thread out:laugh: :flowerforyou:

Hope the idea works for those of you ..good luck:drinker:

Oh one last thought...so if all the 'veterans (how would that be determined exactly?) you mentioned no longer respond to threads from new folks.......ahhhhhhhhh that would leave MFP where?:laugh: :wink: :drinker:

I don't mind helping others.....in fact I love to share info I learn.....I don't think I'm a person that gets burned out to easily helping others....can't imagine feeling burned out even as I'm here for some time...

I don't think she's saying we should leave the boards completely, just that a new topic for veterans would be cool. A veteran would simply be anyone who's been at this awhile and feels that they'd like to post there... it's not like there'd be a doorman checking IDs:laugh: Anyone could post. Things to be discussed: maintenance, relapses, past experiences, etc. Just like... there's a topic for success stories and another for introductions. I still like answering questions when I feel like I can help, but I do find it a bit much when some of the same questions are asked and answered all on the recent post boards.

I like the idea, maybe it could be fit in with success stories though? Like a Success Stories/Veterans topic? :flowerforyou:
    ah ok....and yea...I didn't figure there would be guards at the door asking for ID's.... but thanks for clarifying:noway: :bigsmile::wink::laugh:

thinking back now...perhaps I should have simply left this thread be...lol I hear what you are all saying now..ah I think....but I guess I already see folks doing this....discussing maintanence, tougher days etc.....

guess I'm a newbie who just don't get it yet:huh: :noway: :sad: :laugh: :drinker:

but I say...hey whatever works for you all that are in the burned out stage...I say go for it!!:heart::flowerforyou: I don't imagine it's much fun feeling burned out:noway:

We're all at different stages in life......:tongue: :::::::stepping back out of this thread now::::::::flowerforyou: :blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I see where you're coming from...I've been experiencing burn out lately big time...and have considered deactivating...but I know I'd be lost without my food and exercise journal...I just don't frequent the boards as much...I watch them and respond when I feel compelled to, but I know i'm not posting nearly as often as I used to...so I say when something comes up that you are struggling with, post away girlfriend! I'll read it and reply if I have some insight :flowerforyou:

Laura,
    I was just looking at your join date...figuring since you're burning out big time as you shared that you must have been here for quite awhile.... so you're 'burned out big time'since joining in July of this year?

I joined in Aug......I am SO far from burned out....:laugh: :noway:

SO maybe there could be a thread on why folks are getting burned out so early on:laugh: ....perhaps there's something that could be done regarding that.... seriously....I find it mysifying....so should I too expect to be burned out in only a few more monthes? Hate to think that.... maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and want to stick around:laugh: :drinker:

What if you don't mind my asking do you think created you to burn out so quickly?? Curious is all:happy:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am not burnt out from my new lifestyle...just burnt out on the boards...and choosing not to post as much...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I am not burnt out from my new lifestyle...just burnt out on the boards...and choosing not to post as much...
    oh ok I see:smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I dunno-- my two cents-- this is all getting silly. "These boards" for us, 42kmoig.gif"those boards" for them-- this topic here, that silliness there-- oh my-- like Ms. Chick, I don't know what constitutes a newbie or a veteran, either-- but, please-- we're all in the same boat, who the heck cares when we started rowing?
  • melissa73
    Options
    Wow. I would be figured as a old one I guess. But I feel that it is to each their own.
    I am still struggling and learning everyday. But that is not saying that it is right to have a designated group for just oldies. But that is my opinion. I don't post a whole lot, but when I do it is on a subject or a topic that I like or am apart of some challenge. It is your choice to post or not. If you don't like the topic then don't read it. If it is a repeat question then don't respond and move on. Please Please don't put it here on the boards for Newbies to read and not feel welcome.

Mike wanted a place for everybody to be able to post what they wish or have questions on.
    Mike made this site for everybody new or old.
    If you want to have discussions like this maybe it would be better to PM each other or make a scheduled time in the Chat room.
    This is just my opinion. I am sad that some members have decided to leave too. But they have moved on. I can understand that.
    Okay with that said.
    Hope I didn't step on peoples toes but it seems that a lot of toes have been stepped on lately.
    Have a great day.
    Melissa
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I dunno-- my two cents-- this is all getting silly. "These boards" for us, 42kmoig.gif"those boards" for them-- this topic here, that silliness there-- oh my-- like Ms. Chick, I don't know what constitutes a newbie or a veteran, either-- but, please-- we're all in the same boat, who the heck cares when we started rowing?

00020309.gif
    I just thought this was really funny!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

00020309.gif

ok here we go Marla, this is the one I was looking for. The shark represents chocolate cake to me!
    0002029C.gif
  • Marla64
    Options

00020309.gif

ok here we go Marla, this is the one I was looking for. The shark represents chocolate cake to me!
    0002029C.gif

that's a riot. :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Options
    I like the WIzard of Oz.

(Whoosh-- ) Right over my head. Huh? :huh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are being so sensitive about this topic... icandoit simply had an idea for a new chat topic. nobody is being excluded or dissed at all. I'm so confused, the boards have been like this the last couple days... so uppity.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am just having fun. I was not even thinking about being sensitive to new peoples feelings.

I always counter with laughter.....that is all I am trying to accomplish!!

I love EVERYONE!!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Yep-- laugh and the world laughs with you-- :laugh: cry and you cry alone-- :sad:

I'm there with you, Jeannie-- :wink:
This discussion has been closed.