Ladies who do pullups...

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Wrap them, honestly. I can't think of a time during pull ups where my wrists aren't neutral though...so I can't imagine it being an issue?

^^That

Also, have you considered the surgery?? Maybe not for now but that's gonna be awful, I would imagine at least, when you're much older.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    How many can you crank out on your first set or when trying to max?

My personal best was 8 in the Marine Corps; granted, I can't dead-hang & lockout each time like the guys were supposed to (otherwise my elbows like, "pop out" and I can't pull them back together enough to bend), but I drop to at least where my arms make a 140-160 degree angle. I got FIVE on my first set today, split-set with 10 pushups then attempted again until I had 3 sets each, but 2nd & 3rd pullup sets were only like 3 each :(

Any tips/tricks to get more? (Guys, feel free to chip in here too)

Edited to add: Anyone know how to get around the elbow popping thing so I can get around to doing them from a dead-hang each rep? Or is it just a "chicks are stupid flexible" type thing?

I have never - ever-NEVER been able to do a chin up. This sounds like a throw down to me!!
    Yeah... I know I'm old enough to be your mom but if you're willing, with the advice from the posters on here...let's see who can do the most in one set by... say....September 1? Right now my count is exactly.... ZERO... so you are already ahead.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

My personal best was 8 in the Marine Corps; granted, I can't dead-hang & lockout each time like the guys were supposed to (otherwise my elbows like, "pop out" and I can't pull them back together enough to bend), but I drop to at least where my arms make a 140-160 degree angle. I got FIVE on my first set today, split-set with 10 pushups then attempted again until I had 3 sets each, but 2nd & 3rd pullup sets were only like 3 each :(

Edited to add: Anyone know how to get around the elbow popping thing so I can get around to doing them from a dead-hang each rep? Or is it just a "chicks are stupid flexible" type thing?

I have never - ever-NEVER been able to do a chin up. This sounds like a throw down to me!!
    Yeah... I know I'm old enough to be your mom but if you're willing, with the advice from the posters on here...let's see who can do the most in one set by... say....September 1? Right now my count is exactly.... ZERO... so you are already ahead.

Wow lol! This lady has spunk =D.

I like that!
  • karrenbennett
    Options

Wow lol! This lady has spunk =D.

I like that!

There's a 99% chance she'll beat me .... I just need some motivation to get me going. A throw down is what I need.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd LOOOOOOOOOVE a good challenge; I'm going to regretfully forfeit :(

In about 20 days from now, a surgeon is going to be literally ripping my chest wall apart and inserting some, uh... silicone "enhancements". Doesn't stop me from giving it my all in the meantime though, lol. They say in 6-8 weeks I'll have no restrictions, but I hear from those who've been there done that it'll be a good 3-4 months before I'm going to be actually up for trying again. So in all honesty, by the time I'm ready, you'll probably have a pretty darn good head start yourself :D
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    No problem. I will, however, try the 'chin-up' challenge by myself to see how many I can do.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    No problem. I will, however, try the 'chin-up' challenge by myself to see how many I can do.
    I might consider taking you up on that, although you've definitely got the age advantage on me - except I don't think I'll have a prayer of making it by Labor Day. Maybe by Thanksgiving!:smile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I read this today on another site and thought about this thread. There's a video within the link that also demonstrates this exercise.

This Exercise Will Increase Your Max Pull-ups

by Chad Waterbury - 07/25/2011

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1300
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Thankyou - after reading this thread I went to the gym and upped the weights to the point where I was just able to do about 8 reps 2 sets. I've always aimed for almost 12 very slowly before. But boy did I enjoy lifting heavier weights.

I'm only on the machines at the moment because I need to make sure I've established a regular gym pattern before I get someone to show me free weights. I wouldn't get far on chin-ups, I'm only little I wouldn't be able to reach the bar in the first place!!!

I did smile when I left the gym when I realised everyone on MFP talks about what weights they are lifting in lbs and I remembered it's all in kilos here!!!!
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Got some kinda downer news at my pre-op appt today :( I mentioned my pushups/pullups/chinups/benchpress regimen and was told I *could* resume them after 6 weeks, HOWEVER, with the knowledge that since implants naturally "peek out under the bottom of the pec muscle that developing those muscles could push the implant abnormally south, compromising my results and investment." and that they deal with female bodybuilders all the time. At least they were honest :( Why do I have the feeling my financier (hubby) would FREAK about me resuming pullups etc. the same way most husbands with expectant wives do when their wives are teetering on very high ladders?

At any rate, BEST OF LUCK to all the ladies out there who learned something or were inspired by my thread =)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Wrap them, honestly. I can't think of a time during pull ups where my wrists aren't neutral though...so I can't imagine it being an issue?

^^That

Also, have you considered the surgery?? Maybe not for now but that's gonna be awful, I would imagine at least, when you're much older.

My doctor doesn't see it as necessary at this point, and I totally agree. If I got the surgery it would take me out of work indefinitely for however long the recovery time is unpaid...definitely not doable living alone. If something at work caused the surgery though...fantastic lol. I do wrap it from time to time, maybe I'm approaching my pull ups wrong or something is just lacking in my strength routine which I think is the case since my gym is women focused and boring the **** out of me. I just switched my gyms though so I hope to be able to say in three months that I can do them!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just as a 'props' to women and pull ups...check out Crystal West. She's AMAZING!!! http://youtu.be/8O4C64c84uI
  • jlowe827
    jlowe827 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! Totally new here, just added the app last week, saw there was a message board and thought I'd join in! (I'm a female btw.)

10 years ago in junior high: I set a school record of 9 pull-ups (for girls). I generally managed somewhere between 5-7.

Fast forward to the present: I began MMA/muay thai training in April. When I started, I was only able to do 3-5 pull-ups. Now I'm back up to 9 pull-ups, maybe 10 if I'm really pushing.

I'm not sure I have any advice on how to go from 0 to 1. But I agree that it's good to develop your strength overall, especially with push-ups. That's how I got from 3-5 up to 9-10. Assisted pull-ups are also a good idea, as are jump pull-ups.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Just as a 'props' to women and pull ups...check out Crystal West. She's AMAZING!!! http://youtu.be/8O4C64c84uI

Holy mother of... *scrapes chin off floor"
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Holy crap! She is my idol!! Wow ...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    More ovaries here! :flowerforyou:

Ok, seriously, you all just completely impress me and are motivating me to get on the higher weight bandwagon! One of my best friends, who also happens to be a personal trainer, recently talked to me about her change in weight training and I didn't think too much about it but if it gets me to easier push-ups and pull-ups, that would be awesome! She also experienced some weight loss with the increase in strength training so it sure can't hurt to try!

I'm always jealous of the guys when I see them doing pull-ups and have only been able to do them on the assist machine thus far. That's going to change now! Hello new fitness challenge!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 2 pullups (just hit the benchmark last week).

I've been doing reverse pullups to increase strength.

For the elbow popping, no clue, I just go all the way down until my arms are straight and then back up.

edit: after reading the rest of the thread... I have no idea how many chin ups I could do as I've just done palm-away from me pull ups. I started with the perpendicular bars (doorway pull up bar) but found after research that those were the "easiest" so I switched to regular pullups before I could even do one full one that way.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    September 1? I'll join the challenge.
    I'm currently at 0 as well. I've been following the 'entrance/exit fee' training plan with my door bar and I've increased my pushup time as well and that is helping.
    I may not make it to 1 unassisted in good form in 4 weeks but I'm game.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh geez - I'm looking really dumb here, cos I'm sat reading your posts and I don't know or even heard of half of the terminology and excercise names! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll get there! :happy: slightly embarrassed.

No need to be embarrased... We all start from someplace. And this is how you learn more.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    As far as pullups are concerned, I am doing the assisted pullups at the gym. I think I might be lucky to crank out two. Slowly working on the upper body, and of course as I lose weight less to lift : ) Interesting post and discussions