Christmas Countdown Challenge (CLOSED GROUP) - Week 1

Options

Replies

• dianerenem
    dianerenem Posts: 14
    Options
    just a quick note for anyone who (like me) is never sure of what a "serving" consists of ...

I got this from about.com (http://nutrition.about.com/od/fruitsandvegetables/f/servingfruit.htm), but here is a quick breakdown of a few fruits and veggies

Fruits

one banana
    six strawberries
    two plums
    fifteen grapes
    one apple
    one peach
    one-half cup of orange or other fruit juice

Vegetables

five broccoli florets
    ten baby carrots
    one roma tomato
    3/4 cup tomato juice
    half of a baked sweet potato
    one ear of corn
    four slices of an onion

hope it's useful :)
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Lovin this group!!!! Thanks yramesor333 for the Veg Lasagna!!!!!! I will be making that this week. I will reach the water and fruit and veg goal by the end of the day...OK I am behind, but it's OK I'm gonna do it!!!!

Oh man, I was giving myself 25 mins to be on MFP. My timer went off and I should get back to work.. :noway: .I love this site :bigsmile:

Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i've only drank like, 16 ounces of water today, and no fruit or veggies! i still have time to make a dent in my water - veggies probably aren't going to happen at this point, but tomorrow's another day, and i have 139 challenge participants to kick me in the *kitten*!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I was giving myself 25 mins to be on MFP. My timer went off and I should get back to work.. :noway: .I love this site :bigsmile:

i so need to this...i swear, mfp turns my life into a time void! and i wonder why the laundry still isn't done...
  • JenMac18
    JenMac18 Posts: 5
    Options
    Off to a rough start yesterday - very bad eating. Much better today.
    I found out I actually weigh 230, not 225. :frown: Will keep weight loss goal at 205, so 25 lbs to go!
    We can do it!
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    15 cups of water..I think that is 150 oz!
    as for fruit and veggies
    3 serves of veggies=brocoli,tomatoe,avacado
    and 6 serves of fruit=watermelon,banana,cantaloupe.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I got all my fruits this morning (4) plus one veggie at lunch. Yay for me! I'm still working on the liquids but am within 1 glass, I think. What a great challenge!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Just finished getting in 64oz of water... Got in two servings of veggies and 1 serving of fruit!...
  • MrsRazor7
    MrsRazor7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Drank all my water and ate my veggies and fruit, mom :happy: Sounds like everyone is off to a great start! Lets keep this up :happy:
  • yramesor333
    yramesor333 Posts: 152
    Options
    Lovin this group!!!! Thanks yramesor333 for the Veg Lasagna!!!!!! I will be making that this week. I will reach the water and fruit and veg goal by the end of the day...OK I am behind, but it's OK I'm gonna do it!!!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
    youre welcome !!!! hope you enjoy it as much as i did :)
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well i managed to drink my water and even had an extra serving of vegetables for the day. Of to a good start on the mini challenge
    my measurments:
    bust 40.5
    Waist 40
    hips 43.5
    arms 15.5
    thighs 24.25
  • want_it_25
    want_it_25 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I finished the challenge I drank 77.6 oz of water and 5 servings of fruits and veggies. I also started Zumba tonight. I absolutely love it.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Txnurse97
    Options
    ZUCHINI LASAGNA .....cant taste the veggie no noodles and taste awesome!!!!

Ingredients
    2 large Zucchini
    1lb ground turkey
    1 24oz can of Hunt's tomato sauce ( or your favorite brand)
    1 block of Mozzarella cheese- shredded
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning Mix
    1 Tsp Garlic Powder

NOTE I DOUBLED THE MEAT,LOWFAT CHEESE !!!

Directions
    Pre-heat oven to 375F

In a bowl combine ground turkey, pepper, italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix well and brown in a large pan over Med-High heat until cooked through. Remove from heat.

While meat is cooking, use a mandolin or thinly slice the zucchini length wise to make long wide strips.

Open the can of tomato sauce and ladle a quarter of the can onto the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Lay 1 layer of zucchini strips on top of the sauce. Add a layer of meat. Sprinkle on a quarter of the mozzarella cheese, and repeat once more.

When second layer is finished lay the remaining zucchini on top and pour remaining sauce over the zuchini. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, removing the foil 5 minutes before done

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!
  • Txnurse97
    Options
    Thanks again for getting all this together Jenn!

Just now seeing the daily challenges...water is never a problem for me, but I will definitely have to try more for fruits and veggies. Today was an insane water day as we were at a theme park most of the day, so I've drank 144oz so far and still drinking. And I probably just made it to 4 fruits/veggies. I'll have to make sure I get that daily!
  • lauralu71
    lauralu71 Posts: 23
    Options
    Love the daily challenge! Got my water in fine, and because of the challenge, I made a salad for dinner as well (apple plus 1.5 cups of field greens) and had an apple earlier in the day with lunch. I drink the shakeology as well which is supposed to count as a veggie although I know it's not the same because it doesn't have the same fiber etc as real fruits and veggies would. Still proud of my day!

Have a good night everyone!
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No problem with fruits and veggies... Eggs & fruit every morning, salad with lunch, fruit for afternoon and evening snacks, but the water...UGH not a fan :blushing: Well a little late tonight to start drinking 64 oz of water, will give it my best for the rest of the week :drinker: :drinker:
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Well I am good on the water only 2 fruits :-( Will have to work on that.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You what I've always wanted to know, how much is a serving of fruit or veggies?

I'm pretty sure I hit my water total today, I actually think I might have been dehydrated because I was super thirsty!
  • abjedi
    abjedi Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is a great challenge for me... I drink water but never tracked it... I know I need to drink more... Yea thanks for this... So excited!!!