5' 2" - ideal weight

Options

Replies

• akinomikon
    akinomikon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 120.. possibly 115. Last time I weight that was JR. High pre-puberty so it doesnt make sense to try and go below that! Plus I would say I have an athletic build... not sure about my frame...
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal is 110lbs.
  • Joshalynn
    Joshalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, but I hate the BMI, because I am busty. Even when I was 160 I had a very small waist but still very busty so I think once you get closer youll know where you are comfortable. Aim for the BMI just don't drive yourself crazy over it.
  • psychgirl23
    psychgirl23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 1/2 and I currently weigh 125. I have a smaller body frame and I'm still not satisfied with the way I look. My goal is 110 to 115. It totally depends on your body frame though.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'2, I dunno what my ideal weight is all I know is I'm about 120 now and I'm not there yet. I figure I'll just go until I'm satisfied.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and a half and I currently weigh in the range of 111-113. Not happy with how i look yet. May take a while but I'm planning on losing a bit more weight/fat and eventually gaining muscle.

I give it a year before I get the body I want.
    It has already been 6 months and I've lost around 10lbs (due to stalls and binge eating). Hopefully this time next year I will be looking better than ever.

My goal for my 20th birthday (which is in Novemeber) is to weigh 107lbs
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5 and right now I weight 120 with 24.4% BF, my goal weight is 110 and 20% BF
    I used to weigh between 103-105 with my lowest weight being 98lbs. Now in my 30's that seems too low for me.
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. My starter goal is 130.

But I'm not completely sure about what my "ideal" is. I've been 130ish before, but didn't look that great, but I also didn't have much muscle. So, my plan is when I get closer, stop worrying about the number and just worry about how I look and feel. My goal is to be slim, yet toned, so whatever number that puts me at, I guess is my ideal.
  • raebels
    raebels Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my goal is between 120-125. =D
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options

More seriously (and not that you asked my male opinion)...in this case...the BMI is usually pretty accurate. I've seen girls your height that were quite attractive anywhere from 105lbs, on up into the 130lb range.

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this.. I'm by no means the greatest looking girl on the planet... but I'm 5'2".... according to BMI I'm overweight... but I have to say I don't look terrible or gross... well maybe someone would think I do... but more my point is... BMI is very vague and not the best way to determine how much you should weigh
  • Nikkibebe08
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently 128lbs, I'd like to be 125 but I'm pretty happy with where I am and healthy (according to my doctor). I've always been pretty curvy so I think anything less than 125 would not look right on my frame.
  • Marsfire2001
    Marsfire2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, as I'm 5'1 1/2". I had an accident that added 20 lbs of metal (or what feels like it anyway) to one of my legs, so I'm trying to figure out if I should stand on a scale and see 110-125 or if it should be higher than that because of the metal. Every time I ask a doctor about it they completely ignore the question as if it shouldn't matter whether I have metal in a leg or not. Currently, that would mean I have to drop about 100 lbs to be at the highest part of the target weight. >.<

P.S. Having metal in the leg makes it extremely hard to do any sort of running/jogging/walking, especially during winter.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I just want to say hello because I am 5'2 also. My weight is about 102 or 103. I don't let it go below 101. And I expect to see it going up a little since I am lifting weights. But, I have a very small frame. Everyone is different. I think 110 is probably a great goal weight. There are so many factors that influence a person's best weight, as well as preferences. I just wanted to say Hi.
  • channel11
    channel11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm 52 years old. 5' 2". Been exercising for two months. And currently weight 157 pounds. The last time I weighted 117 was in High School and I was so bony and skinny I would NOT wish that weight on anyone. I'm aiming for 135 lbs by Christmas. Not sure if it matters but I've just gone completely into menopause. have had two wonderful girls and pregnancy does change your body but age makes more ofa change on your body, and the hormonal stuff does too! Truly feel too skinny is not good. Toned muscles do weigh more than non-toned. So think you have to see how you feel when you get down to a lower weight. And think YOU'll know when you are at your ideal weight.
    This! I'm 56, 5'0"...when I got married 30 yrs ago I weighed 105 lbs and was a bone rack. Currently 155 lbs and trying for 130 altho I'm not sure this is realistic because... our bodies change so much with age and hormones especially during menopause. I think you have to go with how you feel and agree that you will KNOW when you are at your ultimate best weight and health, trust yourself.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    It depends on your build. According to BMI, the normal weight range is from 101-136 lbs. So if you're small framed, the ideal weight ranges from 101-121, medium is from 118-132 while large frame is from 128-141 lbs.

I'm also 5'2" but with a medium frame & weigh 55 kgs or close to 123 lbs. A few months ago, I went down to 53 kgs or 115 lbs. but with that weight, I looked very thin & sickly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It depends on your build. According to BMI, the normal weight range is from 101-136 lbs. So if you're small framed, the ideal weight ranges from 101-121, medium is from 118-132 while large frame is from 128-141 lbs.

I'm also 5'2" but with a medium frame & weigh 55 kgs or close to 123 lbs. A few months ago, I went down to 53 kgs or 115 lbs. but with that weight, I looked very thin & sickly.

Thank you for explaining this. In my real life nobody thinks I am too thin. But, on mfp people are always throwing around insults. I just have a small frame and it's genetic, that is not something I have control over. My husband likes me, so that's good. :wink: And I agree that people do need to take frame into consideration and should not try to be smaller than what is healthy for themselves. Even when I was 9 months pregnant I weighed 135, with a healthy 7.5 pound baby.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and aiming for 120lb. We'll see what I feel like when I get there.

I suggest looking up what your weight would be to get you to an ideal body fat %. You can always tweak it once you get near your goal.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    For Women it is 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet and 5 lbs. for every inch after 5 feet. For men it is 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet and then it is 6 lbs. for each inch after. So, if you are 5'2 it would be 110. Hope that helps!

I disagree. As others have said, it depends on so many other factors:

- Your bone structure: 110 would be too thin for someone with a large frame, but fine for someone small-boned.
    - Amount of muscle you have: Muscle weighs more. It may be better to go by measurements instead of pounds if you are very toned.
    - The size of your chest for women.
    -Your age: Others explained what happens over 50, and even women in their 40s have some of the same issues, especially if they have had children,

At my high school reunion there were women there who were too thin - and they had so many wrinkles and looked bony!

I weighed 110 when I was 30. That was too thin. My goal weight now is 135 and I might go as low as 125. When I got down to 135 after my son was born, I plataeued at 135 and was a size 4 or 6. I was disappointed I couldn't lose the last 10 lbs. I think my body was telling me 135 was my ideal weight. I wish I had done measurements at the time because I was more muscular then ever.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2". When I weighed in at 158 after having two kids - I KNEW that I was carrying around too much weight. I know what is suggested for my weight, but I could never even imagine myself at anything under 135. The last time I remember being happy with my body I weighed 140ish. If I get down to that weight again, I will be extremely happy - even if it's not "perfect." My goal is currently to be down to 140 by Halloween - and then I will consider 130 by Christmas even though I honestly don't see that happening... ever. LOL Either way, I don't think you need to worry about what is RIGHT and WRONG for everyone else, but what fits YOU. Best of luck on your journey.
    Exactly this here!! But I was 167 and now at 153.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    For Women it is 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet and 5 lbs. for every inch after 5 feet. For men it is 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet and then it is 6 lbs. for each inch after. So, if you are 5'2 it would be 110. Hope that helps!

This is mathematically inaccurate because someone that is 5'2" is only 3 percent taller than someone that is 5 feet tall, so since they weigh the same per inch that would mean a 5'2" person could weigh 103. There is too much variability in body size for a rule like this to apply. That rule of 5 pounds per inch probably comes from an assumption of people becoming magnified in all directions as they get taller and taller, as a formula this would be: weight = 100 * (height/60) ^ 3, where weight is in pounds and height is in inches. But, people's proportions don't work like this. Taller people are not always proportionally thicker. There are slender tall people and thick short people and slender short people and every other possible body type. It's all over the map. When you include this variation in different body type the range can be more like 101 to 135, but that does not mean one person is suited to be within that full range. Each person would fit into that range based on their body type, as someone above me already mentioned.