5' 2" - ideal weight

Options

Replies

• lmkuhn596
    lmkuhn596 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and from msny yrs of struggling with the numbers I have finallt realized it is the measurements and how u feel that is important! Also age.....finallt I have accepted that my 110 lb 20 yr old body will never exist again. I am hoping for 130 myself bur I have to say that the nettwr I feel from exercising the less important it is. Also remember that if weight loss doesn not get u the lok u r looking for than u probably need to check into exercise that targwts what u do not like!
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My goal is 140. That might seem high, but I started at 250, and 140 is pretty damn good in comparison :).

Not opposed to lowering the goal once I get there.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started at a hair over 180 and am now ~ 155. My goal is 130 to start, but that is because I am older (51) and expect to not be quite as light as might otherwise be expected. Much of my adult life I was 125 LBS which seemed to be about right, perhaps 5 LBS over the ideal but good and healthy for me. I once went on a starvation diet/exercise manic stretch and lost a ton of weight and got down to 102 LBS. It looked like I had been in a concentration camp for years and I looked horrid (except to me) and size 2 was falling off.

It does seem that different body types hold weight differently so just because we are the same height doesn't mean we look the same at an equal weight. For instance I am very curvy and if I get under 120 I lose my boobs and then just have hips. Plus I am a martial artist and like to have a little bit of meat for grounding and I am bottom heavy.

Good luck on reaching whatever your goal is. I think you will find it in the way your clothes fit and how you feel instead of what the scale says in the end.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" -- my goal weight is set at 112; but I'll probably actually get to about 115 and be done and just tone more at that point. I want to be more toned/muscular then "skinny" though.
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OP: Maybe, given the diversity of responses, it would be better for you to focus on body fat % over weight? Like everyone has said, body composition can range quite drastically. What looks healthy on a 5'2" female is not the same for everyone. Just a thought! :)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am about 5"3 and 115-117. my goal when started a year ago, was 115. I am happy at this size and try to stay under 120. The scale is not as important to me than being strong and fit is.:-)muscle and definition is goal for me.
    Good luck all:-)

Also, everbody is different, So there is no ideal weight fo ALL...Just for yourself, you will know what feel right for you:-)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and currently weigh 134 but my bf% is 29.6% eeeekk!!!!
    So my first mini goal is to get down to 125 with some muscle, and then we'll see. Originally I thought a good goal for me was between 115-120 (based solely on that I was 110-115 previously) but i've seen a lot of posts from ladies who I think look really good/how I would like to look, and they seem to be focusing more on BF% and building muscles to get the shape they want as opposed to what the scale says, so i'm trying to keep my mind open to that.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    117 lb is the amount of lean mass I have on my 5'2 frame so I'm aiming for 140 ish...anything less than that, my periods would stop.
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 38. My goal right now is 130 with muscles. When I get there, I'll see what I want to do.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    What does it matter what your weight is?

When dieting, a better way to set your goal is to plan for BMI or body fat percentage. Do you want to be lean? Wanna be tone? Wanna see muscles? Maybe some abs? Well planning your strategy by setting a goal weight will not get you there.

Dont focus on your weight. What makes you look good is the ratio of muscle to fat you have. The higher the ratio, the better you will look. This is different for everybody. So you want to be 19% body fat? Alrighty then. While that goal on one woman might come in at 105, maybe it means 115 or 120 for you. Because even on the same size frame, people have different body compositions.

Knowing your body composition when you start and keeping tabs on it is the correct way to diet. Get yourself some calipers.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently around 120 and I thought I wanted to be around 112 but honestly lately I have been toning up and the weight is going no where, but I do think I'm losing inches so I'm starting to care less about my weight and trying to just get my body in the shape that I want!
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2'' and 110 lbs.
  • SabrinaSt
    SabrinaSt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently weighing 116. I'm trying to get back to 100.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

When dieting, a better way to set your goal is to plan for BMI or body fat percentage. Do you want to be lean? Wanna be tone? Wanna see muscles? Maybe some abs? Well planning your strategy by setting a goal weight will not get you there.

Dont focus on your weight. What makes you look good is the ratio of muscle to fat you have. The higher the ratio, the better you will look. This is different for everybody. So you want to be 19% body fat? Alrighty then. While that goal on one woman might come in at 105, maybe it means 115 or 120 for you. Because even on the same size frame, people have different body compositions.

Knowing your body composition when you start and keeping tabs on it is the correct way to diet. Get yourself some calipers.

I love this response! Because I have a LOT to lose, I am currently looking at the scale. However, when I get nearer to the high end of healthy "weight" I'm going to switch my thinking to what you've said here. It makes sense and I love things that make sense!
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and MY ideal weight is 121. I have a long way to go before I see this number, so I don't want to use my weight as my goal. (I don't want to be a slave to the scale.) Instead, I want my goals to focus more on healthy eating and exercise; the weight will follow.

GL!:tongue:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 110lbs. Originally it was 115lbs but I still have body fat percentage that is only just in the normal. I'd rather it be closer to athletic!

Forget the scale, if you want to lower body fat percentage.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2, 110 :) so look at my picture for reference if you'd like
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options

amennnn ^
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body frame, I'm a 5'2 and large frame and I aim for 120-125 lbs. which is actually quite low for my build because the ideal weight for my type is between 128-143lbs. Considering that I'm more toned now with much more muscles compared before but I think it is possible. If your small framed, then 101-120 something will be your ideal weight, 118-132 if your medium built.

Thank you for stating the frame issue. I'm an inch shorter with a very small frame and I felt sluggish and unfit at 133lbs. It's different for everyone.

Also, don't forget to go with how you FEEL. Healthy? Within a good weight/BMI range? GOOD. Oh, basically echoing amandaseawolf. :)

14496283.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JENLHCOMER
    JENLHCOMER Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2" 1/2 so of course I claim 5' 3"! I started at 270 on this journey and am down 40 pounds. My goal is 120-135 range. I have hit that wall lately and right now will be happy with 150! As others have said, see how you feel. It is ok to change your goal. You will know when you feel you are at the right place! I believe it is more important to look at ourself and say "This is good" than to decide what is good for us based on some scale that says " you should be this".