women should lift weights?? wtf?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt be in optimal mental health or physical health because i wouldnt like it, and i obviously dont do it right, even though i was instructed how to do it by a PT. Just couldnt get into it.

There is no should about it. There isnt even a should about being in optimal health. I dont even think any of us could ever be in optimal health. We just do what we can to live a happy, healthy long and enjoyable life. I realise you think youre some sort of elite because you weight train and theres obviously no better exercise in the whole world than picking heavy things up and putting them down again, and my running could NEVER compare in million years.
    Actually I'm a PT who trains several types of athletes from ages 10 and up. So I'm very well versed in how to train people for their different types of sports running included. And while there are people in my clientele who are marathoners, they still involve some strength training in their running regimen.
    Sorry you look at it so negatively. You view me as a "meathead" when it's further than the truth. To instruct cardio, I have to know it. It's more than probable that your PT wasn't well versed on how to train you where you at least enjoyed the workout. If running is what you enjoy, I would have had you running with things like parachutes, uphill, Tabata protocol, and getting in some basic calenstenics with running intervals between to mix it up. At least that way the majority of your workout would be exercise you enjoy.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Should you eat your peas? Should you floss? Should you use abbreviations when U text? Should you still be discussing this?
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    [quote.

and also when you do pure cardio, you actually LOSE muscle, which in the end makes you physically look fragile, but also you burn less calories.

[/quote]

This concept completely baffled me....so I had to google it. This is what I found:
    http://www.buildingmuscleworldwide.com/mbb/does-cardio-make-you-lose-muscle
    http://www.bodybuildingapplied.com/index_center_misc.asp?newsId=61

Or to summarize:
    To put it really simply, when doing cardio exercise, energy is burnt in this order;

1) Carbohydrates (both stored and direct from foods)
    2) Fats (from foods and as stored cells)
    3) Proteins (amino acids from muscle tissue)

It is cardio workouts over an hour that get into the 3rd stage...

That being said, I also agree that there is bone density benefits to resistance training. Even walking with ankle/arm weights would have a benefit.
    And as many of the previous posters have said, the most important is to find additions to your lifestyle that you can maintain and enjoy. Neither running nor time spent in a gym would make the cut for me, and I have tried both.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I dont view you as a meathead. im just saying that you can be just as healthy and happy and have a great body from other exercises.

I never hear people who do other sports try and insist other people do it their way as much as weight trainers - well, weight trainers on this forum specifically. Sure its good for you. I never insist other people should be running even though i think its fab exercise. If you dont like it, then you probably shouldnt be. Lifes too short (unless youre a weight trainer and youll live forever cos its so damn healthy). Find what you do enjoy and get good at it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    I dont view you as a meathead. im just saying that you can be just as healthy and happy and have a great body from other exercises.

I never hear people who do other sports try and insist other people do it their way as much as weight trainers - well, weight trainers on this forum specifically. Sure its good for you. I never insist other people should be running even though i think its fab exercise. If you dont like it, then you probably shouldnt be. Lifes too short (unless youre a weight trainer and youll live forever cos its so damn healthy). Find what you do enjoy and get good at it
    Lol, I debate all the time with bodybuilders who claim it's a "sport". It's not. But there are many people who will insist that Zumba, yoga, pilates, P90x, ChaLean, Insanity, rock climbing, etc. is what it takes. I hear runners here say that that's what it took to lean them up. And while people's genetic predispositions will dictate how they lose, as long as they lose with whatever exercise is working for them is the one they will tout as the bomb.
    For me, I know it's optimal ( not perfect) if strength, cardio, and rest are equally distributed that people tend to be closer to optimal health.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    For me, I know it's optimal ( not perfect) if strength, cardio, and rest are equally distributed that people tend to be closer to optimal health.

can't argue with that.

Sounds very different to "women should lift weights" though, which is what i took issue with
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Funny, I feel the same about all the cardio fanatics...yet, somehow...incredibly...I managed to come out of it....unoffended!

About the only thing I've come out of this discussion with is that you're quite opinionated...and are doing the exact thing that you're railing against.

Oh, the irony.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    im not offended, just irritated.

and yes, i am opinionated on some things :smokin: isnt everyone?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post in this thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned, but I think this phrase really grew some steam over the years in response to the fear that is ingrained in SOME women toward lifting weights. Some women fear that it might make them look unattractive, so some people respond with, "Women SHOULD lift weights!"
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    maybe women should "consider" lifting weights

How much difference is there in telling someone what they should or shouldn't say, or how they should or shouldn't phrase it- as oppossed to what they should or shouldn't do?

what she said
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What has been confusing me about the OP's viewpoint is the part about women. If it's about not telling people what they should do, what does being a woman have to do with it? Are all men supposed to lift weights? The gender specificity lends support to the notion that there is more going on here than not telling people what they should do. Especially after looking at the photos of the OP. You look thin, sure, but you don't look healthy.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You could Not lift weights, continue to rely on cardio, and find that you're still eating the minimum in order to maintain your weight and you have no muscular definition.

But I believe a healthy balance of cardio, weights, and eating right will do everyone's body good.

That's MY two cents, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
  • crmhaske
    Options
    You could Not lift weights, continue to rely on cardio, and find that you're still eating the minimum in order to maintain your weight and you have no muscular definition.

But I believe a healthy balance of cardio, weights, and eating right will do everyone's body good.

My two cents is this person's real concern is that muscular definition makes you look less thin than you would without it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Eh, I wasn't gonna respond to this thread, but here are my $.02.

If you asked me 2 years ago, do I need to lift weights to be in good shape? My answer would have been no. I was skinny, 102 pounds, fit in size 0, barely ate and thought I looked terrific. Meanwhile I got sick all of the time, my skin was flabby, I had cellulite on the back of my legs, and I was literally a frail waif who probably couldn't lift a 20 pound box.

Fast forward 2 years, lots of education, a leap of faith and urging of a friend to try Crossfit, now I am 110 pounds, strong as a damn ox, feel great, eat TWICE what I used to, my skin isn't flabby, I have no cellulite, and I look like I'm 25. I helped move my mom and was able to lift everything the guys could. My size 0 clothes fit better now, I sleep better, my skin is better....the list goes on and on. My hubby says I have a "Benjamin Button thing going on". :laugh:

So, do I think women should lift weights? The answer is HELL YEAH, and I am living proof. Cardio still has its place, I do still run (but I don't spend countless hours on the treadmill like I used to) and do many aerobic-type activities (way more hard core than I used to), but I believe lifting weights is the biggest reason I look as tight as I do now.
  • crmhaske
    Options
    Eh, I wasn't gonna respond to this thread, but here are my $.02.

If you asked me 2 years ago, do I need to lift weights to be in good shape? My answer would have been no. I was skinny, 102 pounds, fit in size 0, barely ate and thought I looked terrific. Meanwhile I got sick all of the time, my skin was flabby, I had cellulite on the back of my legs, and I was literally a frail waif who probably couldn't lift a 20 pound box.

Fast forward 2 years, lots of education, a leap of faith and urging of a friend to try Crossfit, now I am 110 pounds, strong as a damn ox, feel great, eat TWICE what I used to, my skin isn't flabby, I have no cellulite, and I look like I'm 25. I helped move my mom and was able to lift everything the guys could. My size 0 clothes fit better now, I sleep better, my skin is better....the list goes on and on. My hubby says I have a "Benjamin Button thing going on". :laugh:

So, do I think women should lift weights? The answer is HELL YEAH, and I am living proof. Cardio still has its place, I do still run (but I don't spend countless hours on the treadmill like I used to) and do many aerobic-type activities (way more hard core than I used to), but I believe lifting weights is the biggest reason I look as tight as I do now.

Thank you for sharing your story with us :)
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This thread is just a very long semantics game based around the word should... lifting weights is beneficial to women as it increases bone density which aids in osteoporosis prevention as well as gives you many other health benefits , some women do it, some women don't. Should you do it? Yes! Do you have to do it? No! Should you do things that have positive effects on your body? Yes Should you stay away from things that have negative effects on your body? Yes.... Should you do everything you can to be healthy? YES....but you don't have to :-P
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This thread is just a very long semantics game based around the word should... lifting weights is beneficial to women as it increases bone density which aids in osteoporosis prevention as well as gives you many other health benefits , some women do it, some women don't. Should you do it? Yes! Do you have to do it? No! Should you do things that have positive effects on your body? Yes Should you stay away from things that have negative effects on your body? Yes.... Should you do everything you can to be healthy? YES....but you don't have to :-P

Exactly sir.

Along with being based around a person/people who think they should be able to tell other people when they should be able to use the word should...even if the topic containing said 'should' has nothing to freaking do with them, is on a public board...and the only reason they were inflicted with is is they chose to read it.

Maybe they should not do that any more?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

your gorgeous... :happy:
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    This thread is just a very long semantics game based around the word should...

well yeah, and i cant believe its taken 8 pages for some people to realise that its the implication that its necessary or should be done, rather than having anything to do with weight training in particular
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    You could Not lift weights,
    cheers

as i said in previous posts, i can lift what i need to, when i need to, and that includes carrying my 70 odd lb 10 year old all the way down the street on one hip with one arm when he was crying his eyes out and distressed and refusing to walk the other day (hes autistic), so i dont think im particularly weedy. I push a massive phil and teds double buggy up hills with my 4 and 3 year old in it when im doing the long nursery run, and its not a problem for me, and i do a lot of things with no problem, that my friend whos into weight lifting finds knackering, so really, I think people need to quit with the "should" do this, or "should" do that, and realise that everyones lifestyle and needs are different, and a lot of people can get everything they need without stepping foot in a gym, and lifting actual weights. Works for some people. Excessive and unnecessary for others.