Are eggs bad for you?

Options
Just wondering because they do seem to have a lot of calories and a lot of fat. I eat a loootttttt of eggs. They make up at least part of my breakfast almost 6 days a week. Any help would be appreciated :) ( as a side note, I do eat the yolk, I don't really see the point of just eating the whites, there is no protein in them)

Replies

• nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating every yolk, why don't you have 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites. I usually do this, it's less calories than having 2 whole eggs and a lot tastier than plain egg whites on their own =)
  • TomorrowNeverKnows
    TomorrowNeverKnows Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're wrong.

The white has most of the protein (the white is mostly protein and water, by the way).
    The yolk has the fat.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Eggs are good for you. However in order to cut down on the calories, I would suggest you get rid of one of the yolks as egg white are much lower in calories and yes the egg white does have potein but just not as much as the egg yolk. hope this helps.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just remember that some fat is essential for brain function, eggs might have a lot of fat-- but it's much different than the fat you might fry them in. Try just a light bit of real butter in a nonstick pan. That'll vastly cut the fat, and if you're concerned about the butter, Pam cooking spray, or something healthier in that range, might be a better option. :)

Eggs are good for you!
  • TomorrowNeverKnows
    TomorrowNeverKnows Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't like quoting Wikipedia, but it works this time:

"The egg white is about two-thirds of the total egg's weight out of its shell, with nearly 92% of that weight coming from water. The remaining weight of the egg white comes from protein, trace minerals, fatty material, vitamins, and glucose.[2] The U.S. large egg's white weighs 38 grams with 4.7 grams of protein, 0.3 grams of carbohydrate and 62 milligrams of sodium. The U.S. large egg white contains about 20 kcalories[3] and no cholesterol. It contains approximately 40 different proteins.[4] Below is a list of the proteins found in egg whites by percentage, along with their natural functions.[2][5]"
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Nope!!!!!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Just remember that some fat is essential for brain function, eggs might have a lot of fat-- but it's much different than the fat you might fry them in. Try just a light bit of real butter in a nonstick pan. That'll vastly cut the fat, and if you're concerned about the butter, Pam cooking spray, or something healthier in that range, might be a better option. :)

Eggs are good for you!

Me to i love eggs!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    They dont have a lot of calories. About 70 or so per egg. I love 'em!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Eggs are good for you!

How about not frying them? ever heard of poaching or soft and hard boiling?
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    eggs are good for you!! yum yum
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Me too, and you can do so many things to eggs^^ But on a side note... What do people do with their yolks? It just seems an awful waste to just chuck 'em and they have most of the flavour!! I mean eggs only have 70 cals, there's no need to waste half of not many calories ;)
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Eggs are good for you!

How about not frying them? ever heard of poaching or soft and hard boiling?

Ummm.....I Boil them most of the time?
  • Keefypoos
    Options
    One egg contains over six grams of protein and several important nutrients. Unfortunately, one eggs also contains about 212 mg of cholesterol, which is quite a lot. Since the recommendation for cholesterol consumption is about 300 mg per day, the large amount of cholesterol in eggs may prevent many people from eating them.

The cholesterol in eggs really shouldn't scare you away from eggs completely. Most of the cholesterol in your body is made by your liver and the amount of cholesterol in your diet may not have as big an impact on your blood cholesterol as people once thought. You can eat one egg every day without harming your cholesterol and other blood-fats.

That's really good news for dieters because the combination of fats and protein means eggs are very satisfying. Eating one egg as part of a healthy breakfast may help you lose weight by keeping you from getting hungry later in the morning.
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some people have said that the yolk is bad, some people said okay, some people said it's bad :p. Well.....Change the question slightly- what would you reccomend as one serving of eggs?
  • Keefypoos
    Options
    erm my favorite breakfast is
    2 slice wholegrain toast and 2 poached eggs some salt and pepper around 360 Kcals
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that the yolk actually helps with weight loss...despite having the fat.. and the egg white obviously has the high protein.

The egg white and the yolk work together on many levels and you really shouldn't stick to an all egg white consumption.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Eggs give you cancer.
  • Keefypoos
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that the yolk actually helps with weight loss...despite having the fat.. and the egg white obviously has the high protein.

The egg white and the yolk work together on many levels and you really shouldn't stick to an all egg white consumption.

Got a link to any of those studies?
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If you do a search for the work "yolk" on this page it talks about all the benifits the yolk has

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Gabby, you might want to do yourself a favor a do a little bit of research on your own as far as this one is concerned, because the answer is not a "one size fits all." They are a cheap source of protein and nutrients but high in cholesterol, so depending on your health requirements, it could go either way. Wikipedia is not a juried source, nor are many of the responses to this thread (ex. They give you cancer... seriously dude??)

Search government or medical-related websites that have impartial answers.