Are eggs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    i buy the egg beaters. i really like them and u can't tell the different that its not an "egg"

Egg beaters are actually just egg whites. Then to make up for all the missing vitamins you'd get naturally from the egg yolk, synthetic vitamins, spices, and coloring are added back in to make them look and taste more like real eggs.

I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i buy the egg beaters. i really like them and u can't tell the different that its not an "egg"

Egg beaters are actually just egg whites. Then to make up for all the missing vitamins you'd get naturally from the egg yolk, synthetic vitamins, spices, and coloring are added back in to make them look and taste more like real eggs.

I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

greg....no offense is taken. i didn't know that. since i follow the weight watchers plan, i feel i'm getting more for my points with the egg beaters over a regular egg. i have egg beaters maybe once a week
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    Unfortunately, the reality is that there is a lot of crap information out there about food.
    Im of the opinion that you should try to eat a well rounded diet with a wide variety of foods from each food group. If you like eggs, eat the egg. Eat the whole damn egg. You're tracking your food right? So, if its not "trigger food", you're within your calorie goal, and you dont have heart disease, then you dont need to be so concerned.
    Eating eggs will not give you heart disease, they will not make you fat, and they will not ruin your life.
    You will get heart disease, get fat, and have a crap life if you make a combination of poor choices over and over again. Which include but not limited to: diet and exercise.

Dont stress over an egg, there are much bigger and unhealthier things to get bent outta shape over. :happy:
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I don't like quoting Wikipedia, but it works this time:

"The egg white is about two-thirds of the total egg's weight out of its shell, with nearly 92% of that weight coming from water. The remaining weight of the egg white comes from protein, trace minerals, fatty material, vitamins, and glucose.[2] The U.S. large egg's white weighs 38 grams with 4.7 grams of protein, 0.3 grams of carbohydrate and 62 milligrams of sodium. The U.S. large egg white contains about 20 kcalories[3] and no cholesterol. It contains approximately 40 different proteins.[4] Below is a list of the proteins found in egg whites by percentage, along with their natural functions.[2][5]"

Actually, the white has about half of the protein of the whole egg.
  • End6ame
    Options
    On a side note…. why do so many vegetarians eat eggs? I realize it is not all of them, but I see posts on here all the time by vegetarians saying they eat eggs. Do they not realize that eggs are just chicken embryos?
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    On a side note…. why do so many vegetarians eat eggs? I realize it is not all of them, but I see posts on here all the time by vegetarians saying they eat eggs. Do they not realize that eggs are just chicken embryos?
    LOL right?! You should start this as a new topic thread. I'd love the read the controversy you'll start! :tongue:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

not strictly speaking. They are UNFERTILIZED chicken embryos, making them a by-product a bit like milk.

I don't understand vegetarians who eat fish.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Eggs give you cancer.

EVERYTHING gives you cancer! LOL
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I fry mine, sunny side up, in a non stick pan with 1/4 tsp of coconut oil.
  • thanish
    thanish Posts: 24
    Options
    I do believe egg is good for 2/3/4 whole egg consumption a day provided you are active and burning of the fats that your liver converts. In the end it is all about watching your calorie intake(carb,protein,fat,sugar,sodium...etc....).

As per many articles that i have read, egg is good source of many essential nutrition needs not just the protein:

A good article i read through:

http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/drgrisanti/eggs.htm

Just sharing what i read and in no means i'm an expert in this subject.. :-). Good luck !
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I learned that eggs don't need to be refrigerated. Everyone puts them in the fridge in the US. Why is that?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I learned that eggs don't need to be refrigerated. Everyone puts them in the fridge in the US. Why is that?

they last a bit longer. But no, they do not need to be put in the fridge. some vegetables will go off faster in a fridge, and bread will go stale quicker.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Eggs have always been touted to be bad for you, but nutritionists are now singing a different tune.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/weightloss/are-eggs-healthy-weight-loss

I'm a huge fan of eggs and eat one every day for breakfast. They are delicious and packed with protein and they fill you up until lunch...
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN ABORTIONS. Gross. I just don't like them. Then again, I'm fat. Maybe if I ate more, I'd be skinny. Note to self: Try the new EGG diet tomorrow.
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    When my mom was pregnant with me, her OB told her to eat an egg every day. I've loved eggs ever since. I also hate waste so I eat the yolk, too. A poached egg over a heaping heap of steamed spinach with s+p and roasted garlic make a lovely brekkie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    No and no...............
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I keep mine inthe fridge, but when Im baking I take them about to warm up to room temp about 2 hours beforehand.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN ABORTIONS. Gross. I just don't like them. Then again, I'm fat. Maybe if I ate more, I'd be skinny. Note to self: Try the new EGG diet tomorrow.
    I rather like a chicken abortion on toast :)

But in anycase commercial eggs to eat are unfertilised.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that "fat" has gotten a bad rap.

Somehow people equated eating fat with getting fat, and that is not necessarily the case.

It is my opinion that if you are eating a natural diet, free of processed foods and low in simple carbohydrates, you are well on your way to eating healthily.

Many people have called this a "caveman" diet, in that it is a diet made up of the sorts of things people would have eaten 200+ years ago, before the age of sugars and processed foods.

Eggs are natural and good for you. As with anything, it's all in moderation. I'm sure if you eat too many eggs, there may be repercussions.

I eat 2-3 fried eggs for breakfast every morning.
  • End6ame
    Options
    It is my opinion that "fat" has gotten a bad rap.

Somehow people equated eating fat with getting fat, and that is not necessarily the case.

It is my opinion that if you are eating a natural diet, free of processed foods and low in simple carbohydrates, you are well on your way to eating healthily.

Many people have called this a "caveman" diet, in that it is a diet made up of the sorts of things people would have eaten 200+ years ago, before the age of sugars and processed foods.

Eggs are natural and good for you. As with anything, it's all in moderation. I'm sure if you eat too many eggs, there may be repercussions.

I eat 2-3 fried eggs for breakfast every morning.

The idea of simple vs. complex carbs is even outdated. Some simple carbs, fructose for example, will digest slowly while some complex carbs, like white bread, will digest quickly. There also appears to be no significant difference between simple and complex carbs in terms of their effect on blood sugar. This outdated thinking is why so many people will villainize fruit because of its sugar content. Harvard School of Public Health did a good study on this.

My personal opinion is to get a specific amount of protein and fat based upon lean body mass and body weight and then fill the rest of the calories with carbs from sources other than refined white products.