Are eggs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Gabby, you might want to do yourself a favor a do a little bit of research on your own as far as this one is concerned, because the answer is not a "one size fits all." They are a cheap source of protein and nutrients but high in cholesterol, so depending on your health requirements, it could go either way. Wikipedia is not a juried source, nor are many of the responses to this thread (ex. They give you cancer... seriously dude??)

Search government or medical-related websites that have impartial answers.

Yeah I think I will. Thanks anyway guys, I didn't think eggs would be such a controversial topic.
  • emmaoshaughnessy
    Options
    This is what Heart UK have to say on the issue surrounding eggs and dietary cholesterol:

http://www.heartuk.org.uk/pressroom/index.php?/press_releases/eggs_and_dietary_cholesterol/
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Eggs give you cancer.

yes. Eggs are murderous cancer-filled bundles of evil.

I don't have any evidence for my statement either.
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    erm my favorite breakfast is
    2 slice wholegrain toast and 2 poached eggs some salt and pepper around 360 Kcals

Mmm that sounds delicious.

Egg yolks are indeed high in cholesterol (spelling?) but I love them, they are great for you in moderation, like the above example for a healthy breakfast. I think everything is fine in small doses, just don't go quaffing 20 yolks in a go haha!
  • Charlottekd
    Options
    Me too, and you can do so many things to eggs^^ But on a side note... What do people do with their yolks? It just seems an awful waste to just chuck 'em and they have most of the flavour!! I mean eggs only have 70 cals, there's no need to waste half of not many calories ;)

If im having scrambled egg or something i will only use one yolk.....my dog gets the rest as a treat :) And it helps keep her all shiny and nice looking lol. :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Me too, and you can do so many things to eggs^^ But on a side note... What do people do with their yolks? It just seems an awful waste to just chuck 'em and they have most of the flavour!! I mean eggs only have 70 cals, there's no need to waste half of not many calories ;)
    I eat the yolk too. I'm not throwing away perfectly good food that's not even that calorific!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    boil them. and eat the yolk if you love . i do. i add a boiled egg to sandwhiches to make them more filling
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Eggs give you cancer.
    lol! You just reminded me of a line in a Young Ones episode.

'Sleep gives you cancer, everyone knows that'.
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think, if nothing else. This post has given me more ideas for yummy eggs :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    One egg contains over six grams of protein and several important nutrients. Unfortunately, one eggs also contains about 212 mg of cholesterol, which is quite a lot. Since the recommendation for cholesterol consumption is about 300 mg per day, the large amount of cholesterol in eggs may prevent many people from eating them.

The cholesterol in eggs really shouldn't scare you away from eggs completely. Most of the cholesterol in your body is made by your liver and the amount of cholesterol in your diet may not have as big an impact on your blood cholesterol as people once thought. You can eat one egg every day without harming your cholesterol and other blood-fats.

That's really good news for dieters because the combination of fats and protein means eggs are very satisfying. Eating one egg as part of a healthy breakfast may help you lose weight by keeping you from getting hungry later in the morning.

Your half right.

Dietary cholesterol does not raise your blood cholesterol.

Eat as many eggs everyday as your calorie intake and macros allow for.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    eggs are very nutritious and very good for satiety (making you feel full) as well making them an invaluable diet food. Its very old fashioned science that says eggs are bad for you that is very outdated information.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good!
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 or 4 egg whites every morning. It fills me up til Lunch. They are less calorie than the whole egg..........
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Eggs give you cancer.
    :laugh: like everything else in this world
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolk too. I'm not throwing away perfectly good food that's not even that calorific!
    I save the yolk and fix my dogs up a yummy treat!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I eat the whole egg. I like hard-boiled and beaten up and poured into my soups. Eggs are my favorite single ingredient food. I plan to add raw egg to my breakfast shake when I get back to America and have a blender.
    My point: eggs rock!!! People say bananas are nature's wrapped treat, but that is how I feel about eggs. Seriously.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    eggs are fab, just gona have some now,yummmeee.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I fry an egg for breakfast every morning pretty much... and during the week I eat them with a slice of whole grain toast, two pieces of bacon and some strawberries.

So far it hasn't harmed me.. Keep eating the eggs.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Eggs are good for you, the fat in them is good for you and the cholesterol in them is good for you. Dietary cholesterol does not affect serum cholesterol. The hydrogenated vegetable oil that you cook them in however, can affect your cholesterol. Use butter, coconut oil, or olive oil. The media hype and unknowing doctors without an education in nutrition is what has “made eggs bad for you”.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i buy the egg beaters. i really like them and u can't tell the different that its not an "egg"