Are eggs bad for you?

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I adore eggs, I typically eat one whole egg and then the second egg I use just the white. It is the WHITE that has the protein though and the YOLK that has the fat (that's why it tastes so yummy!!!) but sometimes I'll just throw caution to the wind and eat two whole eggs. The only reason you should avoid them is if you need to watch your cholesterol and triglicerides. I have excellent cholesterol levels and triglicerides, and an excellent HDL:LDL ratio, so my doctor said there is no reason for me to avoid eggs or shrimp which is also high in cholesterol. (my diet is super high in fiber which may be part of the reason my cholesterol is low despite the fact that I'm eating more cholesterol than is recommended)

Also, when I make boiled eggs, I cut them in half and scoop out the yolk and give it to my neighbors dog (with his permission of course) and then I fill the center with hummus. I figure hummus still has lots of fat, but it's a healthier fat than comes from the yolk and I'll also get fiber from the garbanzos.. and it's soooo yummy!

As for what I use the yolks for if I don't use the yolk. I sometimes use the yolk to make mayonnaise or if I'm having anyone over, I'll use them to make pudding (though I don't eat it myself) If I don't have anything to make, then I just give it raw to the neighbor's dog. Dogs love eggs.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    I adore eggs, I typically eat one whole egg and then the second egg I use just the white. It is the WHITE that has the protein though and the YOLK that has the fat (that's why it tastes so yummy!!!) but sometimes I'll just throw caution to the wind and eat two whole eggs. The only reason you should avoid them is if you need to watch your cholesterol and triglicerides. I have excellent cholesterol levels and triglicerides, and an excellent HDL:LDL ratio, so my doctor said there is no reason for me to avoid eggs or shrimp which is also high in cholesterol. (my diet is super high in fiber which may be part of the reason my cholesterol is low despite the fact that I'm eating more cholesterol than is recommended)

Also, when I make boiled eggs, I cut them in half and scoop out the yolk and give it to my neighbors dog (with his permission of course) and then I fill the center with hummus. I figure hummus still has lots of fat, but it's a healthier fat than comes from the yolk and I'll also get fiber from the garbanzos.. and it's soooo yummy!

As for what I use the yolks for if I don't use the yolk. I sometimes use the yolk to make mayonnaise or if I'm having anyone over, I'll use them to make pudding (though I don't eat it myself) If I don't have anything to make, then I just give it raw to the neighbor's dog. Dogs love eggs.

Why do people think all of the protein is in the white? The Yolk contains about half the total protein of the egg as well as Vitamins A, D and E and choline (which is good for your brain). Eat the freaking yolk people, it is good for you.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    The idea of simple vs. complex carbs is even outdated. Some simple carbs, fructose for example, will digest slowly while some complex carbs, like white bread, will digest quickly. There also appears to be no significant difference between simple and complex carbs in terms of their effect on blood sugar. This outdated thinking is why so many people will villainize fruit because of its sugar content. Harvard School of Public Health did a good study on this.

I *thought* so!!!!

I have always found that carbs are carbs for me. Any sort of carb spikes hunger for me. I was recently told that complex carbs don't do that like simple carbs do, so I repeated it.

But I am not surprised to find out I was wrong.

To me, carbs in general are bad news, as they make me hungry.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member

Why do people think all of the protein is in the white? The Yolk contains about half the total protein of the egg as well as Vitamins A, D and E and choline (which is good for your brain). Eat the freaking yolk people, it is good for you.

because 60% of the protein and almost none of the fat is in the white. almost all of the fat is in the yolk. The OP said that there was NO protein in the white which is very inaccurate since the white has about three and a half grams of protein while the yolk only has around two and a half grams. I didn't say the yolks were bad (unless you have a medical reason you need to avoid eggs) however, eggwhites have a lot fewer calories -about 20 calories in the white versus 55 calories in the yolk... When I give the second yolk to the dog I've just bought myself 55 more calories that I can use to drizzle some fabulous lebanese EVOO on my hummus! Or...Sometimes you want to get more protein without getting more fat. I'm not "anti" fat. Fat is an important component to our diets, but I sometimes don't need more fat, but I still need more protein and an egg white is a really cheap and easy way to get it. Plus my neighbor's dog totally loves me for sharing my unwanted yolks with him.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    The idea of simple vs. complex carbs is even outdated. Some simple carbs, fructose for example, will digest slowly while some complex carbs, like white bread, will digest quickly. There also appears to be no significant difference between simple and complex carbs in terms of their effect on blood sugar. This outdated thinking is why so many people will villainize fruit because of its sugar content. Harvard School of Public Health did a good study on this.

I *thought* so!!!!

I have always found that carbs are carbs for me. Any sort of carb spikes hunger for me. I was recently told that complex carbs don't do that like simple carbs do, so I repeated it.

But I am not surprised to find out I was wrong.

To me, carbs in general are bad news, as they make me hungry.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I am not sure if eggs are bad for you or not. I honestly love to eat eggs. I believe you have to eat anything in moderation. I know eating just the egg white are better for you.

Thank you
    Robby
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    I am not sure if eggs are bad for you or not. I honestly love to eat eggs. I believe you have to eat anything in moderation. I know eating just the egg white are better for you.

Thank you
    Robby

Egg whites are not better for you, it is just less calories.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Just wondering because they do seem to have a lot of calories and a lot of fat. I eat a loootttttt of eggs. They make up at least part of my breakfast almost 6 days a week. Any help would be appreciated :) ( as a side note, I do eat the yolk, I don't really see the point of just eating the whites, there is no protein in them)

No they are not bad for you. There is a reason they call them nature's perfect food: 70 cals, 5g of good fat, and are loaded with micro and macro nutrients. Egg whites have protein, but the yolk is where most of the other micro and macro nutrients are. I also usually do one whole egg and 2 egg whites when I have them for breakfast. I also keep them boiled in the fridge for a snack, or to put on salads.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Eggs are good for you.
    Eggs lower bad cholesterol
    Yes eggs are 'high' in cholesterol, so are prawns. 'High', because cholesterol is extremely rare in foods
    Yes the yolk has fat, in fact it's sat fat. Saturated fat is 'bad' for you apparently, but saturated fat is an essential nutrient?
    Anyone saying the white has all the protein is talking rubbish, plain and simple. Whole eggs contain the essential nutrients of saturated fats and BCAAs.

A good tip for those that love eating lots of eggs, a little of both is ideal. Half whole and half whites (or there abouts) making up your omlettes e.t.c. is a good way to get plenty of filling protein, essential sat fat (but not too much), and keeping the calories a little lower.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    There has never been any medical evidence that eggs are bad for you. I don't eat them much because I'm just not a fan of the taste, but I thought they were fairly low cal. Isn't one egg only about 80 cal?
  • IronSmasher
    Whoops! I forgot,
    There's not a single reputable study that has linked eating cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The same as eating liver doesn't give you a bigger liver, or eating hearts give you more hearts,
  • IronSmasher
    There has never been any medical evidence that eggs are bad for you.

Ditto
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Whoops! I forgot,
    There's not a single reputable study that has linked eating cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The same as eating liver doesn't give you a bigger liver, or eating hearts give you more hearts,

Being male, I hope eating eggs doesn't give me more eggs! :)
  • I love eggs too. Normally my husband makes them for me maybe 2-3 mornings a week and cereal the rest of the mornings. I rarely eat a boiled egg but I think I may later tonight for a healthy snack instead of pretzels or something. :-)
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

Slightly off topic, but I think you're using the term "processed" here very broadly. Letting full fat milk sit so the fat rises to the top in order to be skimmed off just doesn't fall under my idea of "processed".
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Whoops! I forgot,
    That.

I've done a lot of manipulations to my diet (my consumption of food, not a fad diet) over the last two years. And after all that, where I'm at now is great. I consume 10-15 whole eggs per day, while matching my body weight in grams of protein from other sources. I've also been getting my blood drawn for the last year of this, and my LDL cholesterol has done nothing but gone down.

It's a long story, but in short: I went to a dermatologist, they found problems with my blood work; told me to go to a Liver and Blood doctor. I did, that doctor said I was on a path to diabetes unless I fixed my diet and started exercising. I started - almost 2 years ago now. Lost a total of 60-70 lbs of body fat, now focused on building muscle mass.

TL;DR: I eat 10-15 whole eggs per day, and have fantastic LDL cholesterol (verified by labs once per month).
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    I have nothing scientific to add, but I don't think anyone on this site got fat from eating too many eggs...
  • schibs
    schibs Posts: 51 Member
    I eat eggs for breakfast every day and snack on them through out the day. (Just boiled of course) My Doctor told me he wishes he had my cholesterol levels.
  • laurenrx
    laurenrx Posts: 6 Member
    I think the yolk being "bad" has a lot more to do with cholesterol than fat per se. I limit my yolks to one a day and supplement with whites when I have them in the morning that way I get the flavor with less calories and less cholesterol.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    No time right now, but will definitely check out this thread!