Strange baby names?

Options

Replies

• JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In some European country (Norway, I think?) they just passed a law that actually makes some names illegal. Included are Lucifer, royal titles such as Duke or Bishop, and the number 89.

Glad I don't live there!! My son's name is Bishop Sterling!!

ETA: My neice's name is Magdalynne Grey...Thought it was strange. They call her Magda for short...Idk why they don't just call her Maggie, it would be a less weird nickname...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My older brother's middle name was Grady. Richard Grady. I always thought Grady was such a wierd name.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a damien too!!! my mother in-law didnt like it at first
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I once met a woman who named her daughter Kali. When she was saying it, I assumed it was "Callie," until she told me how it was spelled.

The funny part was later in the evening when she was complaining how the girl was driving her crazy. I said, "You named her after the Hindu goddess of destruction! What did you expect?"
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Some more names I like:

Brynja (girl) - pronounced "bryn-ya" - an old Norse name meaning "armour".
    Toulouse (girl) - pronounced "too-loose", after a city in France.
    Behati (girl) - pronounced "bee-hot-ee"- means "blessed; she who brings happiness" in Afrikaans.
    Lars (boy)
    Tobie or Toby (girl or boy) - Tobias for a boy
    Matias (boy)
    Niko or Nico (boy)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Serenity NOW! (Seinfeld episode) . . . watch before naming ;)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Some more names I like:

Brynja (girl) - pronounced "bryn-ya" - an old Norse name meaning "armour".
    Toulouse (girl) - pronounced "too-loose", after a city in France.
    Behati (girl) - pronounced "bee-hot-ee"- means "blessed; she who brings happiness" in Afrikaans.
    Lars (boy)
    Tobie or Toby (girl or boy) - Tobias for a boy
    Matias (boy)
    Niko or Nico (boy)

"too loose" might not be the nicest name for a girl . . .
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife once worked with a girl who insisted on being called by her middle name: La. We eventually found out why.

Supposedly, her dad met and fell in love with a carnival worker (or something like that) in the town of Pershina, Louisiana. When she was ready to move on and didn't want to stay with him, he swore that he would name his child in her honor. So the girl's full name was Pershina La ______, after the town where they met.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Let's hear it for redundancy!

In grade school I had a friend named Kerrie-Sue Carey. Then there was a guy named Tom Thompson (really? the parents couldn't think of anything else?) This also goes for John Johnson and Mark Marks, and while we're at it, we can throw in Sirhan Sirhan.

there is also the seemingly innocuous naming of a girl that is later derailed by her married name (this happened to me). I also have two acquaintances, who after marriage became:

Kelly Kelley and Marie Murray. bummer.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    In grade school... Bill Williams. (Yes, his given name was William)
    Twins I knew growing up...... Darlene and Starlene, just because it rhymed.
    Currently work with Lhea...(Leah)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

In grade school I had a friend named Kerrie-Sue Carey. Then there was a guy named Tom Thompson (really? the parents couldn't think of anything else?) This also goes for John Johnson and Mark Marks, and while we're at it, we can throw in Sirhan Sirhan.

there is also the seemingly innocuous naming of a girl that is later derailed by her married name (this happened to me). I also have two acquaintances, who after marriage became:

I've been doing some family history research in my Norwegian ancestors, and you'd see this all the time. Lars Larson, Hans Hanson, etc. Of course, the last name was the father's name with "son" on the end (or "sen" in some Scandinavian countries). Generations alternated between Lars Oleson and Ole Larson for a while ... ugh. And some people still name their kids Tom Thompson? Really?
    (Interesting side note - there was a point where the girl's last name was father's name + "dotter" (think daughter, not one who dots, lol) ... like Larsdotter ... )
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

There's a lady at my church name Rose Rose. I'm assuming the second Rose is her married name.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    One of my friends has a nephew named Jasper. A co-worker recently named their son Clyde. I realize these names aren't that "out there" but all I can think is poor kids. Thank goodness you can change your name when you grow up. I've always hated my first name and I plan to drop it when I get married.

Jasper?! CLYDE?! That's nothing... I know somebody who named their kid MICHAEL!!!!! Seriously though, I don't know where you live, but neither Jasper nor Clyde are terribly uncommon names.

- - - - - - -

I like it when people don't thoroughly think about their kids full names. There was a kid in the daycare I worked at as a teenager who had the initials A.S.S., no joke. And it wasn't like no one would know, the "S.S." was a hyphenated last name. Or, the story my husband likes to tell, about the kid he went to high school with who switched schools when someone realized that "Dallas Park" backwards is "Krap Sallad" :D:D:D
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    this is by far the best thread EVER, lol! well my name is Artice, just different, got it from my great-grandmother. I don't think parents should have the right to name their kids outlandish names, UNIQUE yes, but not the devil, that's just not right. My teacher told us about a student named DELASONE, pronounced {the last one}. as in she planned on this being her last child, REALLY? smh
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    In grade school... Bill Williams. (Yes, his given name was William)
    Twins I knew growing up...... Darlene and Starlene, just because it rhymed.
    Currently work with Lhea...(Leah)

Oh ya, twins I knew from grade school through high school -- Denise and Eunice (pronounced to rhyme with Denise--aack).
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The husband's ex named her kid "Raia Sunshine".
    My son's name is Levi and I catch flack all the time for it sounding Amish. Um, i named him out of the Bible, as do Amish- whats the problem? incidently, we now know 5 Levi's. Guess its not so bad a name after all.

My nephews name was supposed to be Christian Blake, but the father wanted a junior. I fought hard bc no kid should be stuck with Eugene Leroy! in this day in age. ...um yeah...they named him while i was at the snack bar. We call him Geno. :-(
  • sleepytexan
    Options

I've been doing some family history research in my Norwegian ancestors, and you'd see this all the time. Lars Larson, Hans Hanson, etc. Of course, the last name was the father's name with "son" on the end (or "sen" in some Scandinavian countries). Generations alternated between Lars Oleson and Ole Larson for a while ... ugh. And some people still name their kids Tom Thompson? Really?
    (Interesting side note - there was a point where the girl's last name was father's name + "dotter" (think daughter, not one who dots, lol) ... like Larsdotter ... )

I have a Hans (my youngest son) -- Estonian ancestry here :)

In Armenia the child's middle name is ALWAYS the father's first name, even if it's a girl, and all Armenian surnames end in YAN in Armenia, then change to IAN once emigrated.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    this is by far the best thread EVER, lol! well my name is Artice, just different, got it from my great-grandmother. I don't think parents should have the right to name their kids outlandish names, UNIQUE yes, but not the devil, that's just not right. My teacher told us about a student named DELASONE, pronounced {the last one}. as in she planned on this being her last child, REALLY? smh

You know there are parts of the world where girls are so devalued that their names translated to English mean things like "may the next one be a boy". or "should have been a son". sad.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    "too loose" might not be the nicest name for a girl . . .

HAHAHA wow I've loved that name for years and NEVER once thought of it that way... Maybe I'll stick with the pronunciation "to-lose" instead. :laugh:
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I went to school with twins that were named Rich Rockin' and Cash Rollin', I can't remember if they hated their names or not but they're both really well adjusted and had a sense of humor about it.

I don't really like kids so I can't ever imagine having one, but I love old Victorian names so my kids would probably get picked on (also my married name would suck to grow up with, people are always sympathetic until I tell them it's not my maiden name, then they realize I must REALLY love my husband, lol)