Pet Peeve @ the Gym

Options
1235»

Replies

• ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    People that wear a TON of perfume or cologne, sometimes when I get stuck next to one I can almost taste it. So nasty, you gonna stink no matter what, the perfume dont help, you just smell like flowery BO
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    People that wear a TON of perfume or cologne, sometimes when I get stuck next to one I can almost taste it. So nasty, you gonna stink no matter what, the perfume dont help, you just smell like flowery BO

When I'm lifting and controlling my breathing I actually find the perfumes and colognes to be worse becuase they can be suffocating to a point.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The girls who carefully perfect their makeup and then very carefully work out so they don't sweat and ruin it. They rank slightly higher than the guy who wears too much cologne and insists on getting on the elliptical next to me, but still. *shakes head in mild annoyance*

LOL, my sister and I are always laughing about this. These are size 2 ladies that eat like birds to stay skinny but have no muscle tone. Yet we're positive they go tell their friends they "work out" everyday. Meanwhile, I look like I've been through a rainstorm by the time I'm done my workout.

I have to agree with this...the last thing I worry about is my makeup. When I used to go to the gym, there was this one girl that would put on her makeup and dark lipstick and wear her tight black workout clothes. Then she would only lift weights, but NEVER broke out in a sweat. Like you, I look like I dunked the top half of my body in a pool when I'm finished working out.

I also have a pet peeve about the guy who works out near you and then keeps glancing at you to see if you're paying attention to him. It's like dude I'm not here to pick up men I'm here to get in shape, so I could care less what everyone else is doing. It is funny though :happy:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    These are some great posts, but I see a lot of posts regarding 'guys who do nothing but sit on a weight machine and stare at woman.' I feel as though many of these cases may be a simple misunderstanding, and I'd like to clear some things up.

First off, I'm sure this happens. some guys are just...weird that way, or they really do go to the gym to show off their muscles and hit on girls. But most of the time I think this is not the case, here's why:

Most guys who are lifting weights in the gym are trying to build muscle; this means we will do a series of short sets with long breaks in between sets. In other words - we will lift heavy weights for maybe 10-15 seconds, then we will take a 90 second break before doing it again. This method is proven to work well for building muscle, and most guys in the weight room know this. What that means is, though, we need to spend 80-90% of our time resting(aka sitting on a machine doing nothing). We are not trying to 'put out the vibe,' rather, we are just following good muscle building routine.

Furthermore, while resting in the weightroom please realize that there are only so many things we can do with our eyes. We can either stare at the floor, the ceiling, a wall, or some other inanimate object, but then people will just think we're zombies. So instead, I think it's reasonable that we look around to see what other people are doing, or look at ourselves in the mirror.

Sometimes when I see someone else doing an exercise I've never seen before that will interest me, and I'll study them for a couple seconds to determind what muscle groups it works out and proper form.

Now granted, there's definately a difference between staring and looking; the former being inappropriate.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    These are some great posts, but I see a lot of posts regarding 'guys who do nothing but sit on a weight machine and stare at woman.' I feel as though many of these cases may be a simple misunderstanding, and I'd like to clear some things up.

First off, I'm sure this happens. some guys are just...weird that way, or they really do go to the gym to show off their muscles and hit on girls. But most of the time I think this is not the case, here's why:

Most guys who are lifting weights in the gym are trying to build muscle; this means we will do a series of short sets with long breaks in between sets. In other words - we will lift heavy weights for maybe 10-15 seconds, then we will take a 90 second break before doing it again. This method is proven to work well for building muscle, and most guys in the weight room know this. What that means is, though, we need to spend 80-90% of our time resting(aka sitting on a machine doing nothing). We are not trying to 'put out the vibe,' rather, we are just following good muscle building routine.

Furthermore, while resting in the weightroom please realize that there are only so many things we can do with your eyes. We can either stare at the floor, the ceiling, a wall, or some other inamimate object, but then people will just think we're zombies. So instead, I think it's reasonable that we look around to see what other people are doing, or look at ourselves in the mirror.

Sometimes when I see someone else doing an exercise I've never seen before that will interest me, and I'll study them for a couple seconds to determind what muscle groups it works out and proper form.

Now granted, there's definately a difference between staring and looking; the former being inappropriate.

Very well said.